Confused about Navi Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about Navi Freeze

Having read about the issues with the Infotainment System in RDX, I have a question: Is the problem with the Navigation System freezing up confined to those owners who use Apple Car Play or Android phone integration, or is it a more generalized problem?

I can live with no cell phone integration beyond Bluetooth,. But a Navigation System that fails in other circumstances would disqualify the RDX for me.

Sorry if earlier posts clarified this point, but I did not pick up on it. Thanks for any help with this question.=rangySelectionBoundary=rangySelectionBo undary
Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou11027
Having read about the issues with the Infotainment System in RDX, I have a question: Is the problem with the Navigation System freezing up confined to those owners who use Apple Car Play or Android phone integration, or is it a more generalized problem?

I can live with no cell phone integration beyond Bluetooth,. But a Navigation System that fails in other circumstances would disqualify the RDX for me.

Sorry if earlier posts clarified this point, but I did not pick up on it. Thanks for any help with this question.=rangySelectionBoundary=rangySelectionBo undary
In general the system is kind of slow. Trying to type in the address using the trackpad is a huge pain. Honestly, I haven’t experienced any freezing with the navigation, but sometimes it does stutter. Keep in mind that when using Bluetooth for music there’s a noticeable quality degradation in sound quality.
The following users liked this post:
JRDNBYR007 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
It has been about a year and only experienced once with navigation not displaying the current position correctly, but this was when the infotainment was going bright and dim with the message "drive mode change unavailable" on the bottom of the screen. Stopped and exit the car and came back about 15 minutes later to restart it and issue went away.
The RDX now has the updated infotainment version 1.1.4 (reset to factory default after the update) for about a week now, and everything seems to be fine so far, except that if I have the USB drive connected and play music from it on default, from time to time when I started the car, it would not play USB music and says "initializing..." on the screen. This issue has been there since the very first version and the 1.1.4 did not fix it. The solution is to just unplug/replug the USB drive.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

The built in Nav is a poorly engineered piece of junk compared to the Nav apps on our phones, So with that said, When I have carplay apps running the Nav starts butting in without me even selecting it. Does anyone know of a way to just disable it? I looked in settings but no go.
JRDNBYR007 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Can anyone clarify the performance of Waze in CarPlay with an iPhone. I thought part of the point of CarPlay was to eliminate the need for outdated factory navigation. I have read a ton of these posts but don't have a clear picture of how well Waze is working, esp since the updates.

I find it amazing that this vehicle has been out for well over a year and the infotainment is still is total mess for many (not all) users.
JRDNBYR007 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Can anyone clarify the performance of Waze in CarPlay with an iPhone. I thought part of the point of CarPlay was to eliminate the need for outdated factory navigation. I have read a ton of these posts but don't have a clear picture of how well Waze is working, esp since the updates.

I find it amazing that this vehicle has been out for well over a year and the infotainment is still is total mess for many (not all) users.
Well.. Speaking as a former RDX owner who never got to use Waze with Android Auto in his RDX, Waze is amazing in my Palisade. Love the alerts for Police, roadkill and trash on the road, live traffic updates and frankly the app just works. It makes my commute to and from work more pleasant.. The Nav system in the RDX is worse than my 10 year old Garmin...
JRDNBYR007 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Pro

WAZE works for me. I am running the latest software D.1.1.4 and running the latest Apple IOS beta 13.1 beta 2 and alls well so far. I got into my RDX using CarPlay and made multiple stops, left phone plugged in and thru multiple restarts what was running when I turned off the RDX was still there when I started it back up WAZE and Apple Music started playing where I left off. Best I have ever seen it work. Their are some cosmetic issues and a possible interference with the built-in Nav even if you have not selected it. I wish I could just totally disable the Nav in the vehicle. Will never use it.

Last edited by tecwerks; 09-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.
quantum7 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Meto
Well.. Speaking as a former RDX owner who never got to use Waze with Android Auto in his RDX, Waze is amazing in my Palisade. Love the alerts for Police, roadkill and trash on the road, live traffic updates and frankly the app just works. It makes my commute to and from work more pleasant.. The Nav system in the RDX is worse than my 10 year old Garmin...
I really only want Google Maps or Waze and it is kinda sad that Acura can not deliver on something that is standard in many mainstream cars/SUVs. My 12 year old DVD navi works great in my TL, and I would love to upgrade, but Acura is dropping a ball (or two) big time. Enjoy the Palisade.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tecwerks
WAZE works for me. I am running the latest software D.1.1.4 and running the latest Apple IOS beta 13.1 beta 2 and alls well so far. I got into my RDX using CarPlay and made multiple stops, left phone plugged in and thru multiple restarts what was running when I turned off the RDX was still there when I started it back up WAZE and Apple Music started playing where I left off. Best I have ever seen it work. Their are some cosmetic issues and a possible interference with the built-in Nav even if you have not selected it. I wish I could just totally disable the Nav in the vehicle. Will never use it.
Great to hear. How about using a flash drive for the ELS 5.1 files? I have read that many are having problems getting songs to load and play without skipping. I have no interest in XM radio but would love to take advantage of the 5.1 files.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like this points me in the right direction, I've used Waze with my phone in a dashboard holder, and I agree it's ten times better than the factory navigation in my '17 Subaru Forester XT or my wife's '19 Outback. The ability to use the Infotainment screen would be a nice plus. My phone plan now includes unlimited data, so I'm good there.

Thanks to all site members who replied, very much appreciated. It seems I can keep the Acura RDX in the mix next year when my current lease runs out. It won't be a Subaru, since their bean-counters dropped the XT Turbo from the Forester lineup. Now the only engine option has 60 less HP in a vehicle with the same curb weight.
No, thanks.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

It looks like this points me in the right direction, I've used Waze with my phone in a dashboard holder, and I agree it's ten times better than the factory navigation in my '17 Subaru Forester XT or my wife's '19 Outback. The ability to use the Infotainment screen would be a nice plus. My phone plan now includes unlimited data, so I'm good there.

Thanks to all site members who replied, very much appreciated. It seems I can keep the Acura RDX in the mix next year when my current lease runs out. It won't be a Subaru, since their bean-counters dropped the XT Turbo from the Forester lineup. Now the only engine option has 60 less HP in a vehicle with the same curb weight.
No, thanks.
I would physically bring my phone to the dealership and run it through the paces....ie....pair or connect phone and take a one or two day test drive to see what works and does not work. Seems to be quite a bit of variation in owners experiences. Best of luck.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Pro

Great to hear. How about using a flash drive for the ELS 5.1 files? I have read that many are having problems getting songs to load and play without skipping. I have no interest in XM radio but would love to take advantage of the 5.1 files.
flash drives are not for me.....I just stream music from Apple.....It skips when you first startup but it seems to die down after a few minutes. It’s enough to keep me Comfortably Numb.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
flash drives are not for me.....I just stream music from Apple.....It skips when you first startup but it seems to die down after a few minutes. It’s enough to keep me Comfortably Numb.
Ive fund if it skis on startup, turn off the radio, count to 3, and turn back on. No more skips.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Forget Car Play and no problem.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah....but I would like to take advantage of the quality of the ELS system. Need to get into 5.1 flac format for best results. It is strange that Acura does not offer a sample flash drive like they used to with the older DVD - A systems that they had...my 07 TL came with a disc of 5.1 music. Now this stuff is really hard to find.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Pro

yeah....but I would like to take advantage of the quality of the ELS system. Need to get into 5.1 flac format for best results. It is strange that Acura does not offer a sample flash drive like they used to with the older DVD - A systems that they had...my 07 TL came with a disc of 5.1 music. Now this stuff is really hard to find.
Agreed, I had a 04 TL and I remember the 5.1 DVD.....not sure how mainstream and widely used the format is now a days.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Agreed, I had a 04 TL and I remember the 5.1 DVD.....not sure how mainstream and widely used the format is now a days.
yeah....pretty difficult to find the format. Have to convert files. But this is a "hidden" feature that many owners may not be aware of.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Pro

yeah....pretty difficult to find the format. Have to convert files. But this is a "hidden" feature that many owners may not be aware of.
Forgive me, but if a music file is converted to another format is not only as good as the one you are converting from?
Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Forgive me, but if a music file is converted to another format is not only as good as the one you are converting from?
I am by no means an expert, but many of the 5.1 files can be converted from other sources to be able to play on the ELS system. For example, many music video DVDs have the sound encoded as 5.1 DTS files. This is incredible surround sound and is awesome in a car just like it is with your home theatre. These can be converted from DVD to flash drive or other source types to flac files so that you get the quality and surround sound 5.1 of the best quality that you can get /that the system offers. You are right...that if you have a low quality source then you will never take advantage of the system (if you care....many people do not). Again, I am sure that I butchered that explanation, but if you look at some of the early threads from obilio98 and StewHD in this section you will see very good (and correct) explanations. I would like to hire obilio98 as a consultant to walk me through making a killer collection of 5.1 music. There are very limited DVD A discs available since the format never really took off from when first introduced.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...cd-dvd-970530/

I just find it strange that this system has this remarkable capability, yet Acura does not tell owners or perspective buyers about the system. I realize that most people are ok with XM and mp3, and that is fine, but why bother with this system then? I would love to see Acura have a step by step (like obilio98 provided) and maybe even offer the demo flash drive of 5.1 music like they used to. Unfortunately Acura is having a tough enough time getting the infotainment system to even work with its basic functions without pissing off a bunch of owners.

There is nothing like Pink Floyd circling around your head from an excellent sound system.

Last edited by quantum7; 09-08-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Pro

I am by no means an expert, but many of the 5.1 files can be converted from other sources to be able to play on the ELS system. For example, many music video DVDs have the sound encoded as 5.1 DTS files. This is incredible surround sound and is awesome in a car just like it is with your home theatre. These can be converted from DVD to flash drive or other source types to flac files so that you get the quality and surround sound 5.1 of the best quality that you can get /that the system offers. You are right...that if you have a low quality source then you will never take advantage of the system (if you care....many people do not). Again, I am sure that I butchered that explanation, but if you look at some of the early threads from obilio98 and StewHD in this section you will see very good (and correct) explanations. I would like to hire obilio98 as a consultant to walk me through making a killer collection of 5.1 music. There are very limited DVD A discs available since the format never really took off from when first introduced.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...cd-dvd-970530/

I just find it strange that this system has this remarkable capability, yet Acura does not tell owners or perspective buyers about the system. I realize that most people are ok with XM and mp3, and that is fine, but why bother with this system then? I would love to see Acura have a step by step (like obilio98 provided) and maybe even offer the demo flash drive of 5.1 music like they used to. Unfortunately Acura is having a tough enough time getting the infotainment system to even work with its basic functions without pissing off a bunch of owners.

There is nothing like Pink Floyd circling around your head from an excellent sound system.
Totally get it. I had a hard time with the ELS in my 2004TL finding DVD A discs back then as well.....on a lighter note Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were (deluxe experience version) is awesome. If u do not have I highly recommend it. Play it loud.....sounds great in the RDX ....I have seen Pink Floyd live multiple times in the 70’s when I lived in LA. That was an awesome decade........
quantum7 (09-08-2019)