Extracting 5.1 Audio from DVD-A/SACD/DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Thumbs up Extracting 5.1 Audio from DVD-A/SACD/DVD

This is a very brief guide post for those getting the new 2019 RDX with the Acura ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio System.

If you have access to DVD-Audio Discs, 5.1 SACDs, and DVD discs with 5.1 audio tracks (concerts, etc), then you can extract the audio from these discs and play then from a USB stick in the new Acura ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio System.

First off, DVD-Audio discs have watermark copy protection, which made copying them impossible, however, we no longer will be copying them. Sure the watermark will still be there, but there will no longer be a DVD-Audio player looking for the watermark, so it no longer matters.

To get audio from these DVD-Audio discs, both HiRez Stereo and 5.1 audio tracks, there are 2 programs (among many) that will do a fine job. These are:

DVD-Audio Explorer 2008 https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Audio-Explorer
and DVD Audio Extractor DVD Audio Extractor -- Full featured DVD audio ripper for your easy use

DVD-Audio Explorer will only work on DVD-A's, while DVD Audio Extractor will work on DVD-A's and DVD-V's.

For SACDs, it's a bit tricky. You will need an Oppo DVD/BluRay player (or compatible). Read through this thread to get all of the info:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-yes-its-true/

Once you get an .ISO image from the SACD, you can use Foobar to convert that to .flac. You might have to convert the .flac to wav. I will know more once I get my car.

99% of you won't care about this, but for the 1%, let's keep the info flowing and we'll see how this all works out. Like I said, once I get my car I will post more detailed info, as most of this is still pretty sketchy.
The following 2 users liked this post by oblio98:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (06-25-2018), superblast (06-09-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 08:21 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Ooops! I almost forgot. BluRay Audio Discs and BluRay Movie Discs!

You need a program called MakeMKV https://www.makemkv.com/

Which will create an MKV file on your PC, then you need another program called AudioMuxer: SurroundByUs.com ? View topic - AudioMuxer

This will get you your .flac or .wav files from a BluRay disc.

For the intricate details on all of this stuff, Google is your friend.
The following users liked this post:
Eiffel (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
Ooops! I almost forgot. BluRay Audio Discs and BluRay Movie Discs!
And I have forgotten I needed to rip my BluRay audio discs, guess I did not have a real need until now. Between the Steve Wilson remixes, 2L recordings, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Chicago - Quadio, and others, this will keep me busy for a bit. Thanks again oblio98!
Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Eiffel
And I have forgotten I needed to rip my BluRay audio discs, guess I did not have a real need until now. Between the Steve Wilson remixes, 2L recordings, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Chicago - Quadio, and others, this will keep me busy for a bit. Thanks again oblio98!
...............and get ready for the next Quadio BluRay Box containing the 4 Doobie Brothers Quad albums from the '70's: Toulouse Street, Captain and Me, What Were Once Vices are Now Habits, and Stampede. This box should be announced by Rhino this summer for purchase in the fall. Great surround mixes on these classic rock titles.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
...............and get ready for the next Quadio BluRay Box containing the 4 Doobie Brothers Quad albums from the '70's: Toulouse Street, Captain and Me, What Were Once Vices are Now Habits, and Stampede. This box should be announced by Rhino this summer for purchase in the fall. Great surround mixes on these classic rock titles.
I would enjoy those in quad.

I just saw Steely Dan and Doobies. Was a great show.

I have Gaucho on DTS and Two Against Nature on DVD-A.

I have lots of Porcupine Tree's DVD-A and Blurays. .. now to start recreating those ripped files!
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Dang, just bought a couple MFSL SACD 2-channel Doobie Brothers in last several months! Oh well, such is the life of an audiophile and multi-channel enthusiast!
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
So we just rip the DVD-A to .flac file and it can play .flac files from USB? or do we need to do anything else in between to make it works?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by guytdt
So we just rip the DVD-A to .flac file and it can play .flac files from USB? or do we need to do anything else in between to make it works?
DVDAudio Extractor will do what you need with the DVD-A's. I get my RDX tomorrow, so I will be able to test these out. I ripped several DVD-As, some DTS-CDs and Blurays to .FLAC.. will see if they work
oblio98 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not sure the system will read a multi-channel FLAC. I have Porcupine Tree's In Absentia DVD-A, I tried ripping with 48/24 and selected "All 6 Channels" in DVD Audio Extractor, the system can't play that. I will try in with the 'Stereo' setting and see
Old 06-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Update: The system will play stereo but not 6 channel FLAC files.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not heard that name in many years...

Originally Posted by Stew4HD

I have lots of Porcupine Tree's DVD-A and Blurays. .. now to start recreating those ripped files!
Great to see a Porcupine Tree mention! Steven Wilson has some of the best high-quality audio releases in recent years, including those Yes/Crimson/Tull remasters.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SandwichViking
Great to see a Porcupine Tree mention! Steven Wilson has some of the best high-quality audio releases in recent years, including those Yes/Crimson/Tull remasters.
I'm a big fan and have most of those, ELP too! I do have all PT releases that I know of and all the 5.1's I could get my hands on. I miss the older Acuras that would play the DTS 5.1 and DVD-A's
SandwichViking (06-24-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD

We just saw Steely Dan with the Doobie Brothers on Satruday - really something that those guys can still bring a lot of energy!

Sad to say that they don't miss Walter Becker at all for live performances - we saw Steely Dan last year as well when Walter was still alive and I thought this year's show was just as good. In fact I was surprised they didn't add another guitar player to the mix but Jon Herrington is a killer guitar player - he can handle the load by himself. So great to see them live - I really get flooded with great memories from my youth with SD playing on the radio!
Stew4HD (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
We just saw Steely Dan with the Doobie Brothers on Satruday - really something that those guys can still bring a lot of energy!

Sad to say that they don't miss Walter Becker at all for live performances - we saw Steely Dan last year as well when Walter was still alive and I thought this year's show was just as good. In fact I was surprised they didn't add another guitar player to the mix but Jon Herrington is a killer guitar player - he can handle the load by himself. So great to see them live - I really get flooded with great memories from my youth with SD playing on the radio!
I was very impressed with the guitar player Steely Dan brought. He handled rhythm and lead very well. I sat right in front of him. Great show. I am glad I went since I've been a huge SD fan since I first heard Do It Again back in '73
Old 06-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I am going to sum up what I have read here and what I have experienced. Multi-channel FLAC files do not play even at 24/48K. I have got multi-channel wave files to play even at 24/96. Has anyone gotten any other multi-channel format to play?

Thanks,
Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shodge
So I am going to sum up what I have read here and what I have experienced. Multi-channel FLAC files do not play even at 24/48K. I have got multi-channel wave files to play even at 24/96. Has anyone gotten any other multi-channel format to play?

Thanks,
I will try it right now
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

The 6 channel WAV files from R,E.M. played nicely