Car Play Disconnects?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020 | 03:41 PM
Advanced

Car Play Disconnects?

Is anyone else experiencing this?
We have 2020 RDX AWD Tech since October. The vehicle and iPhone software are up to date. In the past month, Car Play disconnects more than half the time. The vehicle will not recognize the phone or Car Play unless I turn off the car, open the door to stop the infotainment system and then restart the vehicle. The nav screen shows the error message below after Car Play has been connected and working in the RDX.

It's not the phone or the cable, they both work without issue in our other vehicle the has Car Play 100% of the time.

Thank you,

Old 01-24-2020 | 11:37 AM
Racer

I would replace the cable you are using,. For some reason, your device (iPhone) is not being remembered by the car’s unit. I was having my CarPlay stop for around 1.5-2 minutes and then resume right where the song left off when it quit. After I had the update installed, I did a factory reset of my unit and since then there are no interruptions. The CarPlay is running perfectly.

I pray this helps.
Old 01-24-2020 | 01:34 PM
Drifting

Happens sometimes. I have never figured out when. For me, it is rare, so I just give it a try again next time.
Old 01-27-2020 | 04:42 PM
10th Gear

I experienced similar with my iPhone XS and 2019 RDX. To the point of such frustration I almost got rid of the vehicle. Worked perfectly in every other vehicle, yet constantly disconnected in my RDX.

After some searching on this site someone stated that they had success with doing a full factory restore on their phone (backup, wipe, restore from backup). Voila! Been over a month and not a single disconnect any longer. It was a bit painful (restore process took me over 8 hours), but totally worth it as now it works as it should.

hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2020 | 04:52 PM
Advanced

Ouch... I guess I will have to try the wipe, restore method. My iPhone 11 works without any issues using Car Play in my Lexus. I swapped the lightening cable for a brand new Apple OEM cable and still had Car Play drop in the RDX.

I'm hoping you're saying that a restore from backup works and does not require setting my iPhone as new. My fear using a backup is that I re-create the issue with a resort.

Thank you for the info!
Old 01-27-2020 | 04:57 PM
10th Gear

Good luck. Your issue sounds similar to what I experienced. Mine worked perfectly in my Yukon (and other vehicles) but horribly in the RDX and I couldn’t figure out why. Did a full restore (after the process the phone appeared the same as before), yet when using with the RDX it did not have any of the issues prior to the restore. It’s a pain to have to do a full factory wipe and restore, but for me it was worth the effort.
Old 01-30-2020 | 07:04 PM
Racer

Update: since doing the phone reset and the factory setting reset on the infotainment system, I have had zero, nada, none, no issues. Even my USB thumb drive works....and, gasp, I have even left it in the USB when I turned the car off and then when I restarted the car, the initialization took longer than normal, but it worked! Then, just to keep me humble, I got a “No Device Attached” message and the thumb drive wouldn’t work until I turned the car off and then on again with a fresh insertion. However.....when the USB wouldn’t work, I plugged my phone into the USB port and CarPlay came on seamlessly.

Lay person alert here: just an impression. There is a LOT of code written for this car and that means so much opportunity for miscommunication. When I compare this car to my 2010 Mazdaspeed, I can’t believe how “primitive” it seems next to the RDX! I just sold my Speed, so back to one car for me, one for my wife (2016 Mazda CX-5). I love the vented seats!
Old 01-30-2020 | 07:22 PM
Advanced

Again, thanks to all for the insight and feedback. I drive the RDX on the weekends (it’s my wife’s car) and will try the infotainment reset Friday night or Saturday morning. I’m still puzzled why Acura struggles as my Lexus ES works every time without fail, reboot or any other extreme measures.
Old 01-31-2020 | 06:53 AM
Pro

I have done the reset bit several times. It may resolve initially but I can guarantee that at some point the gremlins will return.
Old 02-06-2020 | 10:27 PM
1st Gear

I was having this problem as well. Using an iPhone X. I removed the device from the car and readded it, twice. After the second time I haven't had the problem return. Never really figured out why it was happening.