WTH... slushy weather knocks out the radar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
WTH... slushy weather knocks out the radar?

35 degrees and snowing heavy wet flakes today... after 35 minutes on the road my radar goes out and my cruise control becomes obsolete. When I stopped the car and checked the big logo on the grill I see it has a raised edge around it which keep stuff from moving off of it... about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch build up and the radar unit apparently goes out. I guess it's not a huge deal but I would be a little miffed if I had 200 miles to go and I couldn't use my cruise control.
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but it's new to me....HMMM.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by DKraky
35 degrees and snowing heavy wet flakes today... after 35 minutes on the road my radar goes out and my cruise control becomes obsolete. When I stopped the car and checked the big logo on the grill I see it has a raised edge around it which keep stuff from moving off of it... about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch build up and the radar unit apparently goes out. I guess it's not a huge deal but I would be a little miffed if I had 200 miles to go and I couldn't use my cruise control.
you can switch to normal cruise that is not using the radar in this situation if needed, won’t auto adjust distance, but better then nothing, they need a heated emblem
Old 03-05-2020, 05:37 PM
'20 RDX Elite

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You can use the 'normal' cruise control after you disable the adaptive cruise control. Hold down the distance setting button till it shows disabled. The system switches to using the conventional cruise control when you use set/resume buttons.
"Press and hold the (interval) button for one second. Cruise Mode Selected appears on the multi-information display for two seconds, and then the mode switches to Cruise. To switch back to ACC with Low Speed Follow, press and hold the button again for
one second." - Page 475 of the owners manual

I also disable the collision mitigation and LKAS when driving in snow, never know when the system decides to brake all of a sudden with malfunctioning radar.
The following users liked this post:
Waetherman (03-06-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys I never thought of trying to turn off the Adaptive part of the cruise control to get it working again... I kind of figured the system would turn it off automatically when it malfunctioned. I am thinking without the raised Rim around the logo the snow and slush with pretty much blow off of it with the wind speed. I think I'll get my Dremel tool out and remove it....just kidding! Actually it's more of a job for my 4-inch sander..ha!
Old 03-05-2020, 08:47 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Thanks guys I never thought of trying to turn off the Adaptive part of the cruise control to get it working again... I kind of figured the system would turn it off automatically when it malfunctioned. I am thinking without the raised Rim around the logo the snow and slush with pretty much blow off of it with the wind speed. I think I'll get my Dremel tool out and remove it....just kidding! Actually it's more of a job for my 4-inch sander..ha!
Before you break out the power tools, silicone spray or cooking spray may help stuff slide off more easily. ( Well known trick for bicycle racing in muddy conditions ). Or just a good coat of wax and/or RainX.

If you're using cruise control in conditions where slush is freezing on your grill, you might want to rethink that. If the system calls for brisk acceleration while you're on a slippery surface, you're screwed. ( Think icy bridges... ). Especially if you're not running winter tires. OTOH the automated braking system also depends upon the radar sensor.

Last edited by Wander; 03-05-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
same issue with another brand

I encountered a similar issue with my 2019 Mazda 3, if it's any consolation.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:39 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Using adaptive cruise control in snow, ice or slushy conditions is not a good idea. It's not that "intelligent". At least not as intelligent as you're supposed to be.
The following users liked this post:
Funz51 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
Rainx the logo, might keep it from even sticking
Old 03-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
My 2018 Accord does the same thing.

I wish they'd add a heating element to it. It's not only that it gets disabled (that's probably for the best when the conditions are bad enough) but also that it gets really caked with ice and unless you have a heated garage to park it in, you end up having to chip the ice off. I'm always afraid of damaging the sensor. One time, after getting the ice off somewhat violently, the system started giving error messages and failing. A trip to the dealer later and it was fixed, and the dealer told me it's a known problem and not my fault, but I can't help think I did something when I was chipping off the ice.

Anyway, it is what it is. I predict next gen will have a heating element, or something, to help clear it. Sort of like how many new luxury cars have rear camera washers - anyone who has had a rear camera for a while knows how often you have to clean that thing in the winter!
Old 03-06-2020, 10:43 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I had the same issue on a recent trip to Vermont and I found it a little annoying. I don't know if a heated logo would work, but it might be worth a shot. Aftermarket/DIY?

Personally I don't buy the "if the sensor is covered you shouldn't be using ACC anyway" argument. Certainly that's true in some cases, but my experience was that there were big wet flakes coming down, but the road itself was clear - nothing was sticking, and the traffic was basically melting anything that landed. It was a little wet, but far less wet than even a moderate rain. Using ACC shouldn't have been a problem.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:15 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Even if the logo is clear, the system may still not work if the roads isnt clear or it cant see the edges or lines.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
Even if the logo is clear, the system may still not work if the roads isnt clear or it cant see the edges or lines.
Lane keeping assist and road departure mitigation require clear lines, not emergency braking or ACC.