My New RDX A-Spec Advance...the first 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
My New RDX A-Spec Advance...the first 2000 miles

I have a little over 2,000 miles on my 2022 RDX ASPEC Advance, at present, and have formed some opinions about it...

The ride:

This is pretty stiff for a luxury CUV. It is definitely on the "sporty" end of things. The suspension is excellent, but it is indeed stiff compared to even the Mazda CX5 and other "sporty" CUV's. It is very well damped, and quite supple over irregular bumps/pavement, as well, especially for how stiff it is. The torque vectoring AWD is excellent and can really be felt when you're getting after it. The suspension modes are subtle, but definitely "worth having" and noticeable. The active suspension is also noted, but not nearly as developed in range as GM's MRC suspension in the ZR1 I drove. Cornering is FLAT with the mode dialed to SPORT, but does exhibit some roll in the Comfort setting, as one would expect. Understeer is kept in check by a judicious right foot and the excellent torque vectoring AWD system. All-in-all, I give it an 8/10 for suspension and handling. A more fore and aft balanced weight distribution would be the improvement I'd most suggest. It's amazing for its price point and intentions. The steering is very light in Comfort mode, and weights up nicely in Normal and then Sport mode. It is very good! I think a bit more on-center feel would improve it, but otherwise it's great! Acura does well with EPAS.

The Interior:

The materials are very nice. They fit it's $50K price point. The fit and finish is mediocre. I have noted several flaws, one of which has resulted in a return trip to the dealer to replace a minor piece of interior trim by the rear door. It is on perpetual back-order. Oh, well. Overall, I am happy with the interior quality, but do wish they had put it together a bit better. That said, I note ZERO rattles even over bad pavement, steep, angle-approached drives, etc even in freezing temps. So I am not sure if I can really complain! The layout is excellent, and my only quibble is the interface. I much prefer Mazda's rotary knob to the touch pad. The interior is VERY quiet and excellently sound damped. However, the OEM tires result in a very "boomy" cockpit over all but perfect pavement. I replaced them at 1200 miles and the problem is pretty much solved. I also would note that it's a "CUV" only in name. It has more in common with mid-size SUV's like the Ford Edge, etc. when it comes to perception of interior room. The driver and passenger seats, however, have a very "cockpit" feel without being claustrophobic. The ELS sound system is next level! I am extremely impressed. However, it is annoying how little 5.1 audio actually exists especially in FLAC format.

The Engine and Transmission:

The engine pulls very nicely from idle to redline. From what I am seeing on the boost gauge, 1st and 2nd gear are boost limited. Likely to enhance longevity. Nonetheless, I clocked a 6.45 second 0-60. This compares to my RAV4 Prime at 5.75, and my CX5 Turbo at 6.7 seconds. However, the RDX really comes into its own in 3rd gear when the boost is unrestricted, and this shows up in its notably better acceleration than the CX5 Turbo after 50mph, until when it is a dead ringer for it. From a roll, the RDX hits harder than a mid 6 second 0-60 vehicle. This brings us to Honda's excellent 10-speed. At lower throttle inputs, such as gently cruising through the mountains where the topography can induce a downshift to maintain speed under very light throttle, I found it a bit jerky. Downshifts result in a clunky feel. All of this evaporates under WOT, where downshifts are rapid and upshifts even moreso. It almost feels like a DCT. Almost. I also noted the drive modes are extremely meaningful with regard to boost. In Sport mode, you are nearly constantly in boost if you're touching the throttle. Normal mode, not so much, and Comfort, you can actually accelerate up hills, etc. without being in boost. I have found my daily commute in Normal mode results in roughly 23-24mpg, while in Comfort mode, my mpg hovers around 25-25.5mpg for the same commute. I have not driven for a full tank in Sport mode because it's extremely aggressive/uncalled for, really, unless you're actually doing sporty things. One thing I really like about this drivetrain is that it's always able to deliver the goods. There are no dead zones with 10 forward gears, and the engine revs clean to redline without "nosing over". Honda really can build a turbo 4!

Functional Points

-The flat 2nd row floorboard is nice! That hump really becomes annoying to passengers back there, and the RDX lacks it, for all intents and purposes.
-The headlights do not articulate or adaptively light, but they have a LOT of spread, to the point that I really don't miss this feature from my CX5.
-Honda engines are thirsty when you lean on them. Your mpg is directly related to throttle input and drive modes!
-The rear cargo area is pretty spacious for this "class" of SUV
-The SH-AWD does amazing in snow.
-The automatic dimming high beams, automatic wipers, and other features are very well executed, with the exception of lane centering and lane departure warning. The lane departure warning on every setting is VERY aggressive, and the lane centering is very half-hearted in its attempts to keep you alive. The radar cruise control sometimes picks vehicles up in the next lane over that my Mazda ignored, but overall is pretty good!
-While I dislike "fake" engine noise, at least Acura made it sound good! I do wish you could toggle them on/off like the Auto Stop/Start, though.
-AcuraLink app is very basic, but functional and user friendly.

Complaints

This vehicle was not assembled with the quality standards that a $50K luxury vehicle should possess. I have noted numerous minor paint defects, very poor panel gap and panel alignment, and one interior trim piece refuses to stay in place, and is going to need replacement by my dealer (who readily ordered the part). The factory tires are absolutely abysmal, some requiring strips of weights 8-10" long to "balance" them. I say "balance", because the car shook at speeds above 70. The sidewalls of the tires are very rigid, which gives a good "direct" feel, but also makes the suspension modes almost superfluous, as they all feel stiff as hell. I replaced them as previously noted with Michelin CrossClimate 2's, which balanced with 1/3-1/4 as much weight, eliminated the interior "boominess" over bumps and ripples in pavement, and got rid of the vibration. The suspension modes are now also meaningful, since the tires don't make them ALL feel like "Sport". I think that on a $50K vehicle, a premium tire should be evidenced, not a bargain basement factory reject quality budget tire.

Overall impression

I really like this vehicle. It can be as playful as is prudent (and then some), or it can coddle your grandmother-in-law on the way to a hair appointment. The looks are aggressive enough that it doesn't scream "I borrowed my wife/gf's vehicle today!" while still not being a cop magnet. In my opinion, this is a perfectly viable, and in some ways superior, alternative to the X3/GLC300/Q5 crowd, and the upscale features like 5.1 FLAC, torque vectoring diff, and adaptive suspension with multiple modes, makes it a very appealing option, indeed! Class leading horsepower doesn't hurt, either! I am very pleased with my purchase, and have added ceramic tint to all glass, and PPF'ed the front as well as the windshield and pano roof. The dealer added the mud guards at time of sale, and I highly recommend them, as well. The only competitor upcoming that I am feeling antsy to try are the Mazda CX70.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-28-2022 at 10:21 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Unobtanium:
clevernamehere (03-29-2022), ESHBG (03-28-2022), GW208 (03-29-2022), JB in AZ (04-02-2022), Legend2TL (03-29-2022), leomio2.0 (03-28-2022), NBP04TL4ME (04-01-2022), RDXNoob2020 (12-01-2023), tasso (03-28-2022), Titan2707 (03-29-2022), Tony Pac (03-29-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Good in-depth review - nothing is perfect. Like you broke it up by categories. Enjoy your new ride!

Think most mfg's make the suspension for a non-sport vehicle too stiff. US roads are not as smooth as glass, and YouTube reviews tend to just want everything to be a pure sports ride. However, as a "daily driver", as opposed to a "couple hour test drive", softer suspension is always better.

The following users liked this post:
Unobtanium (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Good in-depth review - nothing is perfect. Like you broke it up by categories. Enjoy your new ride!

Think most mfg's make the suspension for a non-sport vehicle too stiff. US roads are not as smooth as glass, and YouTube reviews tend to just want everything to be a pure sports ride. However, as a "daily driver", as opposed to a "couple hour test drive", softer suspension is always better.
I would have preferred a more aggressive adaptive shock/strut, like GM's MRC. The ZR1 can absolutely float over rough pavement and still feel laser-level flat in a corner. MRC shocks are indeed more expensive, but I feel the upgrade would have been worthwhile. Overall, though, I am not upset with how the suspension is setup. It isn't too stiff, even living down a gravel 1 mile road. My RAV4 Prime felt stiffer in some instances, actually. I also believe the 45 series rubber shares the brunt of this responsibility.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:17 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
I have the same trim and tires with 1500 miles on the odometer. I would echo most of what you said except for quality standards. Mine has exhibited none of the issues you mentioned as far as paint issues, panel gaps or interior trim. So far so good. Seems to be hit or miss with manufacturing these days due to hourly labor turnover.

Overall it's certainly a little stiffer driving than our 2018 QX60 but those are almost like driving a couch. As you said, the 20" low profile wheels contribute to a more aggressive/sporty drive. I find myself in Comfort mode 80% of the time. I put it in Sport occasionally and boy what a difference in suspension and throttle!
Old 03-28-2022, 09:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ross7777
I have the same trim and tires with 1500 miles on the odometer. I would echo most of what you said except for quality standards. Mine has exhibited none of the issues you mentioned as far as paint issues, panel gaps or interior trim. So far so good. Seems to be hit or miss with manufacturing these days due to hourly labor turnover.

Overall it's certainly a little stiffer driving than our 2018 QX60 but those are almost like driving a couch. As you said, the 20" low profile wheels contribute to a more aggressive/sporty drive. I find myself in Comfort mode 80% of the time. I put it in Sport occasionally and boy what a difference in suspension and throttle!
keep in mind that I'm picky. Ive seen PMC cars that are worse than mine. The paint flaws, Ive spotted similar on MB AMG csrs, etc. The only real complaint is the interior trim piece by the rear door, and panel alignment, which is a bit substandard, but seems normal for Acura. I can spot it on pictures people post in Facebook acura groups.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:23 AM
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unobtanium
I have a little over 2,000 miles on my 2022 RDX ASPEC Advance, at present, and have formed some opinions about it...

The ride:

This is pretty stiff for a luxury CUV. It is definitely on the "sporty" end of things. The suspension is excellent, but it is indeed stiff compared to even the Mazda CX5 and other "sporty" CUV's. It is very well damped, and quite supple over irregular bumps/pavement, as well, especially for how stiff it is. The torque vectoring AWD is excellent and can really be felt when you're getting after it. The suspension modes are subtle, but definitely "worth having" and noticeable. The active suspension is also noted, but not nearly as developed in range as GM's MRC suspension in the ZR1 I drove. Cornering is FLAT with the mode dialed to SPORT, but does exhibit some roll in the Comfort setting, as one would expect. Understeer is kept in check by a judicious right foot and the excellent torque vectoring AWD system. All-in-all, I give it an 8/10 for suspension and handling. A more fore and aft balanced weight distribution would be the improvement I'd most suggest. It's amazing for its price point and intentions. The steering is very light in Comfort mode, and weights up nicely in Normal and then Sport mode. It is very good! I think a bit more on-center feel would improve it, but otherwise it's great! Acura does well with EPAS.

The Interior:

The materials are very nice. They fit it's $50K price point. The fit and finish is mediocre. I have noted several flaws, one of which has resulted in a return trip to the dealer to replace a minor piece of interior trim by the rear door. It is on perpetual back-order. Oh, well. Overall, I am happy with the interior quality, but do wish they had put it together a bit better. That said, I note ZERO rattles even over bad pavement, steep, angle-approached drives, etc even in freezing temps. So I am not sure if I can really complain! The layout is excellent, and my only quibble is the interface. I much prefer Mazda's rotary knob to the touch pad. The interior is VERY quiet and excellently sound damped. However, the OEM tires result in a very "boomy" cockpit over all but perfect pavement. I replaced them at 1200 miles and the problem is pretty much solved. I also would note that it's a "CUV" only in name. It has more in common with mid-size SUV's like the Ford Edge, etc. when it comes to perception of interior room. The driver and passenger seats, however, have a very "cockpit" feel without being claustrophobic. The ELS sound system is next level! I am extremely impressed. However, it is annoying how little 5.1 audio actually exists especially in FLAC format.

The engine pulls very nicely from idle to redline. From what I am seeing on the boost gauge, 1st and 2nd gear are boost limited. Likely to enhance longevity. Nonetheless, I clocked a 6.45 second 0-60. This compares to my RAV4 Prime at 5.75, and my CX5 Turbo at 6.7 seconds. However, the RDX really comes into its own in 3rd gear when the boost is unrestricted, and this shows up in its notably better acceleration than the CX5 Turbo after 50mph, until when it is a dead ringer for it. From a roll, the RDX hits harder than a mid 6 second 0-60 vehicle. This brings us to Honda's excellent 10-speed. At lower throttle inputs, such as gently cruising through the mountains where the topography can induce a downshift to maintain speed under very light throttle, I found it a bit jerky. Downshifts result in a clunky feel. All of this evaporates under WOT, where downshifts are rapid and upshifts even moreso. It almost feels like a DCT. Almost. I also noted the drive modes are extremely meaningful with regard to boost. In Sport mode, you are nearly constantly in boost if you're touching the throttle. Normal mode, not so much, and Comfort, you can actually accelerate up hills, etc. without being in boost. I have found my daily commute in Normal mode results in roughly 23-24mpg, while in Comfort mode, my mpg hovers around 25-25.5mpg for the same commute. I have not driven for a full tank in Sport mode because it's extremely aggressive/uncalled for, really, unless you're actually doing sporty things. One thing I really like about this drivetrain is that it's always able to deliver the goods. There are no dead zones with 10 forward gears, and the engine revs clean to redline without "nosing over". Honda really can build a turbo 4!

Functional Points

-The flat 2nd row floorboard is nice! That hump really becomes annoying to passengers back there, and the RDX lacks it, for all intents and purposes.
-The headlights do not articulate or adaptively light, but they have a LOT of spread, to the point that I really don't miss this feature from my CX5.
-Honda engines are thirsty when you lean on them. Your mpg is directly related to throttle input and drive modes!
-The automatic dimming high beams, automatic wipers, and other features are very well executed, with the exception of lane centering and lane departure warning. The lane departure warning on every setting is VERY aggressive, and the lane centering is very half-hearted in its attempts to keep you alive. The radar cruise control sometimes picks vehicles up in the next lane over that my Mazda ignored, but overall is pretty good!
-While I dislike "fake" engine noise, at least Acura made it sound good! I do wish you could toggle them on/off like the Auto Stop/Start, though.

Complaints

This vehicle was not assembled with the quality standards that a $50K luxury vehicle should possess. I have noted numerous minor paint defects, very poor panel gap and panel alignment, and one interior trim piece refuses to stay in place, and is going to need replacement by my dealer (who readily ordered the part). The factory tires are absolutely abysmal, some requiring strips of weights 8-10" long to "balance" them. I say "balance", because the car shook at speeds above 70. The sidewalls of the tires are very rigid, which gives a good "direct" feel, but also makes the suspension modes almost superfluous, as they all feel stiff as hell. I replaced them as previously noted with Michelin CrossClimate 2's, which balanced with 1/3-1/4 as much weight, eliminated the interior "boominess" over bumps and ripples in pavement, and got rid of the vibration. The suspension modes are now also meaningful, since the tires don't make them ALL feel like "Sport". I think that on a $50K vehicle, a premium tire should be evidenced, not a bargain basement factory reject quality budget tire.

Overall impression

I really like this vehicle. It can be as playful as is prudent (and then some), or it can coddle your grandmother-in-law on the way to a hair appointment. The looks are aggressive enough that it doesn't scream "I borrowed my wife/gf's vehicle today!" while still not being a cop magnet. In my opinion, this is a perfectly viable, and in some ways superior, alternative to the X3/GLC300/Q5 crowd, and the upscale features like 5.1 FLAC, torque vectoring diff, and adaptive suspension with multiple modes, makes it a very appealing option, indeed! Class leading horsepower doesn't hurt, either! I am very pleased with my purchase, and have added ceramic tint to all glass, and PPF'ed the front as well as the windshield and pano roof. The dealer added the mud guards at time of sale, and I highly recommend them, as well. The only competitor upcoming that I am feeling antsy to try are the Mazda CX70.

Great review!

What is "normal" driving mode? I have snow, comfort, sport, and sport+.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by droth8um
Great review!

What is "normal" driving mode? I have snow, comfort, sport, and sport+.
Normal is essentially sport mode. On the 2022 it’s snow, comfort, normal and sport.
droth8um (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 07:48 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I have the same 70mph shake
makes me want to trade in it

ive had balancing done a few times and think i need a road force balance
Old 03-29-2022, 08:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Type X
I have the same 70mph shake
makes me want to trade in it

ive had balancing done a few times and think i need a road force balance
Just change the tires. The OEMs are terrible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unobtanium:
NBPDC505 (05-11-2022), TheLevelOne (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 08:50 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Just change the tires. The OEMs are terrible.
i have cc2’s
Old 03-29-2022, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,596 Likes on 960 Posts
Great review! Thank you.

I invite you to check the new NX once and you will be very surprised that a vehicle that will cost 3-4K more than the RDX (similar options) have so many issues and far from perfect. i know Lexus' name is associated with quality and perfection but recently I am a bit shocked by Lexus dealer, sales rep to the final product.
Unobtanium (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 12:17 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

The ride:

The Interior:

Functional Points

Complaints

Overall impression

Those tires look like they were designed for the RDX!
Old 03-29-2022, 02:22 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Excellent write up. That took a lot of time and thought, and it's appreciated.

I have been living with the Goodyear's am sorry that I didn't have the dealer swap them out. I was so happy to have the car show up at the time I didn't want to muck up the delivery. The Goodyears have been OK, I get no ruble at 70 (or 80+) but still lust for the michelins.

On the whole, I'm almost at 4000 miles and I freaking LOVE the car. I am glad I upgraded from the 2019. The Infotainment is worlds better and quite solid. I don't mind the Navi and the whole fit and finish for me is perfect. This one is a keeper!
The following 2 users liked this post by oblio98:
rbbcpa (04-15-2022), tecwerks (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I hope you have the fortitude of a 10yr old girl, because the air conditioning on these cars suuuuuck. I've had it for two summers and it's terrible. MDX owners complain about the same thing, so somebody at Acura in charge of HVAC needs to be fired.

Last summer I went out to lunch with a female work colleague with temps in the 80's and mild humidity. After getting back in the car and driving briefly, she asked if the A/C was even on. It was. I started blasting the air on the highest setting and eventually just opened the windows to get the cabin cooled faster. Even when I mentioned it to the wife, she told me to stop complaining about the car until she actually let the car sit out in the sun on a hot summer day and conceded that the A/C does in fact suck. Literally everyone I've had in the car on a hot summer day agrees that the A/C doesn't perform well at all.

Just something to look forward to for your first summer with the RDX.
ESHBG (04-05-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Great review! Thank you.

I invite you to check the new NX once and you will be very surprised that a vehicle that will cost 3-4K more than the RDX (similar options) have so many issues and far from perfect. i know Lexus' name is associated with quality and perfection but recently I am a bit shocked by Lexus dealer, sales rep to the final product.
I was a long time Acura owner (1994 - 2016), and I bought a NX 350h a month ago. So far it has been great - no problems whatsoever. I have read about some folks having problems with phones/connectivity issues, but I generally do not use my phone in the car, so not an issue for me. I read that Lexus is ready to roll out a software update to hopefully fix any problems.

I did not cross shop the RDX, since I wanted a hybrid. On the first tank, I am averaging over 44 mpg. On short city drives (which is most of my driving), I am getting over 50 mpg.
ESHBG (04-05-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I hope you have the fortitude of a 10yr old girl, because the air conditioning on these cars suuuuuck. I've had it for two summers and it's terrible. MDX owners complain about the same thing, so somebody at Acura in charge of HVAC needs to be fired.

Last summer I went out to lunch with a female work colleague with temps in the 80's and mild humidity. After getting back in the car and driving briefly, she asked if the A/C was even on. It was. I started blasting the air on the highest setting and eventually just opened the windows to get the cabin cooled faster. Even when I mentioned it to the wife, she told me to stop complaining about the car until she actually let the car sit out in the sun on a hot summer day and conceded that the A/C does in fact suck. Literally everyone I've had in the car on a hot summer day agrees that the A/C doesn't perform well at all.

every piece of glass has been tinted with Xpel ceramic tint. Hopefully that helps.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:11 PM
Pro

Maybe they fixed the AC on the 2022
Old 03-30-2022, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

every piece of glass has been tinted with Xpel ceramic tint. Hopefully that helps.
Hopefully. I had tint on my CR-V and it helped, but it doesn’t do anything if the car sits outside for extended periods. I think the biggest heat sink is that blasted panoramic sunroof. I always have the shade closed, but it doesn’t do much.

Originally Posted by ross7777
Maybe they fixed the AC on the 2022
I doubt it. People with ‘22 MDXs are complaining that the A/C is unacceptable on their vehicles as well.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for an excellent review of the RDX. Your take on the the vehicle is well done and while I haven't had some of the issues you've noted, it IS an amazing all around daily driver.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had no complaints about the A/C on my 2019 advance and so far none on my 2022 Aspec Advance. I just set the temp to what I want and press the auto and sync buttons if needed and it gets pretty damn cold. I usually have to raise the temp a bit after 30 or more minutes because it gets too cold.

I'm in inland SoCal so it gets pretty hot here.
JustMe... (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 08:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by grandicornis
I had no complaints about the A/C on my 2019 advance and so far none on my 2022 Aspec Advance. I just set the temp to what I want and press the auto and sync buttons if needed and it gets pretty damn cold. I usually have to raise the temp a bit after 30 or more minutes because it gets too cold.

A neighbor has a 2020 and she's very pleased with her 2020 RDX (not sure which trim package), the only complaint she's had is the infotainment system with connecting with her iPhone. No RDX reviews have mentioned anything about ineffective cooling so I think it's not a systematic issue.

My daughter's 2016 Civic had A/C issues but that was related to a condenser that had manufacturing problems. There was a Honda TSB that replaced the condensor/dryer and recharged the system. Fully covered out of warranty.

Also nice writeup on the OP review, covered all the pro/con's very well.
Unobtanium (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 09:37 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by grandicornis

This A/C issue seems to be a common complaint on many newer vehicles with climate control. It usually comes from those that override the system and try use it like a 1975 Chevette. Just set the temp and leave it.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JustMe...
This A/C issue seems to be a common complaint on many newer vehicles with climate control. It usually comes from those that override the system and try use it like a 1975 Chevette. Just set the temp and leave it.
I’ve always just set it to 70/Auto on pretty much every car I’ve owned since my 2002 Accord. We will see what happens on my 2022 RDX if it ever warms up in Minnesota.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:08 AM
Automotive Enthusiast

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
about 3500 miles on my '22 A-Spec Advance. My cabin has developed a roof rattle over the rear seat at about 2k rpm in the last 1000 miles. The back of my steering wheel has a trim piece protruding out on the right side spoke, its the bottom half, I am sure both will be addressed but its not as refined as other luxury brands. I always liked Honda/Acura and found that the Acura division isn't a luxury brand as its trying to be luxurious performance.
Unobtanium (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts
To start...I wouldn't define an RDX as being in the luxury class. It's more like a dressed up Honda as is a Lexus a dressed up Toyota and an Infiniti a dressed up Nissan.
They're all in the Premium class. A step up above the mainstream class.

True luxury....BMW, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Porsche. etc, etc

I very much enjoy my new RDX but, a $50k vehicle today is pretty common stuff.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:25 PM
Racer

Update:

-The dealership replaced the interior trim piece that was not aligning well. It was the rear door sill/plate, and it kept "popping up" above the weather stripping.
-The dealership declined to adjust the rear hatch. It simply is what it is. This is not the dealership being petty or "not wanting to mess with it", as they have their own full service Acura collision center which they consulted. I have observed this slight misalignment on many RDX's both in person, and on Facebook groups, of all years 2019-2022, and even on PMC edition cars. It's simply sometimes the nature of the composite used.

The dealership's response to my requests for these things to be fixed has been handled very well, aside physically not being able to "fix" the rear hatch (It does articulate smoothly and without issue, and has zero rattle at any point, even over bad bumps). The experience with the customer service meets/exceeds that of other peers at this price point, in my experience (Mazda, Mercedes, Toyota, etc.).

I spoke with service about the transmission issue "slight jerkiness under very light throttle in rolling terrain" and they confirmed this is simply the nature of t he Honda 10AT. I am fine with that. They are aware, acknowledged it, and moved on.
I spoke with service about shattered rear windows, to which they said they have seen exactly zero, however they did see one shattered pano, but the gent driving was right behind a gravel truck...
I asked about "any known issues they have seen", to which they replied that they recommend 50K miles service interval on the 10AT ($406, includes transfer case as well), but that they have on occasion seen fluid degradation before this that affected shift quality. They also said they have seen a couple of "limp mode" failures that required intercooler TSB be performed. I floored my vehicle after driving an hour in the rain at very sedate throttles, and it had no such issue. I asked about common services required:

Diff @ 10-12K, and then every 30K: $169
Engine Oil per minder, but manager does his vehicles at 5K and I plan to as well. Including a tire rotation using MY oil and THEIR filter/hardware: $42
Engine and Cabin filters at 20-25K per our area, I plan on 20K (filters filter better as they "dust load", typically, so this is not harmful to the car, if anything, I am losing 2-5bhp by not doing it at every 10K), $65 including filter/labor for engine filter, unsure on cabin as I can do that myself easily. The engine filter likely I'd butterfinger and break one of the fasteners...why Acura had to design it this way is absolutely beyond me.
Transmission/Transfer case every 50K recommended per service, I plan on 30K for the first, and if the fluid looks good, move to 40K. $406.
Valve clearance and Spark Plug replacement @ 100K. Manager said doing either sooner is a waste of time and money: $600 for valve clearance adjustment, $350 for plugs.

To make it to 100K miles, this vehicle, not counting consumables like tires/wipers/belts, will cost me, on my schedule (including the 100K miles PM), $1400 in oil changes (using my 0-20 Mobil 1 EP Dexos1G2, GF6), $1218 in transmission services, $950 for the valves/plugs at 100K, $676 for diff fluid changes, $325 for engine air filters, and an unknown amount for cabin filters, which I won't reflect in this total: $4569 x 9.5% sales tax= $5,003.05.

My previous vehicle, my Mazda CX5, required:

Oil changes and tire rotations for $65+my oil every 5k, a diff fluid change for $100 at 30K miles per the earlier manual (which I followed), no transmission fluid changes, plugs every 40K miles for $300, engine air filters for $25/ea roughly, and I performed that labor (Every 15-20K or so), cabin air filters for $25/ea, and I did this as well (every 20K or so). This cost me, by 100K miles, $1300 for oil changes, $600 for plugs, $200 for air filtration, $100 for diff fluid changes, for a grand total of $2200+9.5% sales tax= $2409.

This represents a $2600 increase in overship cost over 100K miles, or roughly 4 years of ownership on my driving schedule. Amortized over this 48mo period, that is $54/mo more I am paying to be in an RDX A Spec Advance instead of a CX5 Signature. I personally view this as "worth it" and do not regret my decision to go with the Acura over the CX5 at this point in time in the least.

When you factor fuel, I am averaging about 23mpg on my commute. In my CX5 turbo, I averaged 27mpg. I used 91 octane ethanol free fuel in both cases. The CX5 data is over 80K miles, using the computer, which I calculated to be 0.5mpg +- accurate by hand. The RDX is +- about the same. This represents a 4mpg difference. Over 100K miles, the RDX will consume 4,327 gallons of gasoline, at $4.35/gal (present cost), to the tune of $18,913. The CX5 will consume 3,703 gallons, to the tune of $16,111, or again, roughly 50-60/mo less to own than the RDX amortized over 4 years. For comparison, my RAV4 Prime was averaging 45-55mpg with 87 octane, which at present costs $3.65, and costing $50/mo more in electricity. This equates to a 4 year cost of $2400 in electricity, and, using a 50mpg average, $7300 in gasoline, for a total of $9700 in cost to fuel, for a monthly savings vs the RDX of $191 in fueling.

For a comparison on PM, a comparable Mercedes SUV (GLC300) will cost $399 for A service, and $699 for B service at my local MB dealer. These flip/flip every 10K miles. They do NOT include the 50K plugs or 60K transmission services. By 100K miles, JUST factoring A/B service, you would pay $5490+tax+ whatever plugs/transmission/diff services were required.

All in all, the cost break-down hurts the RDX on fuel, by the PM is not bad at all, even when performed rigorously as I would, when compared to its rivals. The Lexus 450h with the RAV4 Prime drivetrain does offer a solid savings of nearly $200/mo in my locale, + the PM is cheaper, as I recall from my Prime, but at the expense of driving dynamics by far. Perhaps this number-crunching has "gone a bit far" or might be offputting to some, but others may find it useful/helpful.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-31-2022 at 08:28 PM.
clevernamehere (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 08:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ColoRDX
To start...I wouldn't define an RDX as being in the luxury class. It's more like a dressed up Honda as is a Lexus a dressed up Toyota and an Infiniti a dressed up Nissan.
They're all in the Premium class. A step up above the mainstream class.

True luxury....BMW, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Porsche. etc, etc

I very much enjoy my new RDX but, a $50k vehicle today is pretty common stuff.
Luxury is very subject to interpretation. I have chosen to use mainstream categorization to define "luxury". If you find it under "Luxury" in Consumer Reports or Car and Driver or Motortrend, then that's what I'll consider it.
For example...is a base GLC300 "luxury" even though it lacks many features? Or is it simply the name-plate that "makes it luxury"? Is the BMW i3 then "a luxury vehicle"? Or maybe it is cost that you are looking at...does this make the higher trim F150's at $90,000 "luxury" despite being "Ford trucks"? See where this goes? We can play games with terms and definitions all day on "luxury" cars, so I simply go with the low hanging fruit of "what is it generally considered by automotive press"? In this case, Acura is "Luxury".

This Lexus dealer (I didn't choose an Acura dealer, for obvious reasons), considers Acura luxury. Perhaps the best definition, is that your competitors give you?
https://www.enslexus.ca/acura-saskatoon/
Likewise, you consider MB luxury...and MB dealers consider Acura a Luxury competitor.
https://www.mbofhenderson.com/mercedes-benz-vs-acura/

Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-31-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

If the car doesn't cool at the lowest temp (or 'Lo' on the RDX) with the air on recirculate, there's an issue. I don't know how one could use the system "like a 1975 Chevette".

Originally Posted by Jeffola
about 3500 miles on my '22 A-Spec Advance. My cabin has developed a roof rattle over the rear seat at about 2k rpm in the last 1000 miles. The back of my steering wheel has a trim piece protruding out on the right side spoke, its the bottom half, I am sure both will be addressed but its not as refined as other luxury brands. I always liked Honda/Acura and found that the Acura division isn't a luxury brand as its trying to be luxurious performance.
It's the panoramic sunroof frame. Curious with the 2022 owners, did they remedy the sunroof windguard that would rattle around on bad roads?
Old 03-31-2022, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Update:

I spoke with service about the transmission issue "slight jerkiness under very light throttle in rolling terrain" and they confirmed this is simply the nature of t he Honda 10AT. I am fine with that. They are aware, acknowledged it, and moved on.
I spoke with service about shattered rear windows, to which they said they have seen exactly zero, however they did see one shattered pano, but the gent driving was right behind a gravel truck...
I asked about "any known issues they have seen", to which they replied that they recommend 50K miles service interval on the 10AT ($406, includes transfer case as well), but that they have on occasion seen fluid degradation before this that affected shift quality. They also said they have seen a couple of "limp mode" failures that required intercooler TSB be performed. I floored my vehicle after driving an hour in the rain at very sedate throttles, and it had no such issue. I asked about common services required:
I haven't had the limp mode set, including doing hard acceleration in the rain as well. I have no idea why some are effected while others aren't. I've opened up the air box a few times and see no signs of abnormal water intrusion.

The 10AT definitely needs some break-in time. It smooths out over time. Ironically, I feel the transmission performance is smoother in Sport (Normal for 22+) than Comfort. The only time it really has an issue is when you're rolling to a stop and then suddenly get on the gas again. In Comfort, it seems to hesitate which gear to select and then jerks into gear depending on what speed you're at (usually only at low speeds).
Old 03-31-2022, 10:01 PM
Racer

If the car doesn't cool at the lowest temp (or 'Lo' on the RDX) with the air on recirculate, there's an issue. I don't know how one could use the system "like a 1975 Chevette".

It's the panoramic sunroof frame. Curious with the 2022 owners, did they remedy the sunroof windguard that would rattle around on bad roads?
I have a gravel drive, 1mi to my house. There is zero rattle. Also when I hit a rough section where the creek washed out t he highway, again, no rattle. This is the first vehicle that I've owned that could cross that section at 60mph without anything but tire/suspension movement being heard (and not bad, just the booming of the tires).
Old 03-31-2022, 10:14 PM
Racer

Like you are, manually.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:30 PM
Racer

I haven't had the limp mode set, including doing hard acceleration in the rain as well. I have no idea why some are effected while others aren't. I've opened up the air box a few times and see no signs of abnormal water intrusion.

The 10AT definitely needs some break-in time. It smooths out over time. Ironically, I feel the transmission performance is smoother in Sport (Normal for 22+) than Comfort. The only time it really has an issue is when you're rolling to a stop and then suddenly get on the gas again. In Comfort, it seems to hesitate which gear to select and then jerks into gear depending on what speed you're at (usually only at low speeds).
This mirrors my findings. The more relaxed the mode, the "rougher" the transmission at very low throttle input.

The issue was condensation in the intercooler, and then you floor it and it all gets sucked into the engine at once. It's not that water is getting into the airbox, per se.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Like you are, manually.
If the car can’t cool in it’s lowest possible temperature setting, it’s not cooling the car on any other setting. Your statement is asinine.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

This mirrors my findings. The more relaxed the mode, the "rougher" the transmission at very low throttle input.

The issue was condensation in the intercooler, and then you floor it and it all gets sucked into the engine at once. It's not that water is getting into the airbox, per se.
I would imagine you’d still see evidence of water intrusion in the air box as that’s the path the air would have to go post-intercooler. Dried water spots, damp air filter, actual water in the air box.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:37 AM
Racer

I would imagine you’d still see evidence of water intrusion in the air box as that’s the path the air would have to go post-intercooler. Dried water spots, damp air filter, actual water in the air box.
Not necessarily, if it's humidity condensing in the intercooler. Cars suck up a ton of water in the form of humidity that never is evident in the airbox.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:59 AM
Racer

If the car can’t cool in it’s lowest possible temperature setting, it’s not cooling the car on any other setting. Your statement is asinine.
The system was not designed to be used the way you are using it. Have you tried the correct way?

Like I said earlier, the only people complaining about these systems over the years are those who try and force it to work like a manual system.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Not necessarily, if it's humidity condensing in the intercooler. Cars suck up a ton of water in the form of humidity that never is evident in the airbox.
I was actually wrong in my routing of air. It goes thru the airbox first, then to the intercooler and then to the intake manifold. The fact that it primarily happens to people while it's raining out makes me think it has more to do with improperly sealed or cracked units rather than just humidity. You'd think people who live in high humidity climates would also have the issue. Heck, in NY, it can get pretty damn muggy for stints over the summer and I've never once had a hiccup with limp mode. *knock on wood*
Old 04-01-2022, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

The system was not designed to be used the way you are using it. Have you tried the correct way?

Like I said earlier, the only people complaining about these systems over the years are those who try and force it to work like a manual system.
Not designed to work that way? So when I'm putting it at the lowest possible temperature setting and after driving 1hr to the Hamptons in the afternoon and never thinking "dang, it's too cold, let me turn the A/C down a little" as I have with every other car I've driven, there isn't a problem with the car cooling? The primary benefits of the "Auto" function are to save gas and not needing to fiddle with the system to get it at a temperature you like. Seeing as I'm still not entirely comfortable on the 'Lo' setting, setting it on Auto won't remedy the issue. I'll still be sweating after the gym on my 20min ride home in the summer in the RDX. The same trip in my 2005 GTO as well as my brother's 2012 X5 (that I also use like it's a 1975 Chevette [despite it having an Auto function as well]) when he visits will have me turning the A/C down midway thru.

But sure, I'll appease you and test it out this summer.

Last edited by leomio2.0; 04-01-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:02 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Great review. Thanks for the thoughts and detail. Only comment I'd make is in my 2021 Advance, which I picked up last July, the assembly was perfect. Haven't found a thing wrong with it.

Last edited by jcross1231; 04-01-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
Great review! You think about the same things I do and I have come to most of the same conclusions.

I hope the new models are not subject to the limp mode problem. I had my 2020 RDX go limp on a rainy day when, after 45 minutes of sedate rural driving I tried to pass someone with wide-open-throttle. The transmission downshifted, then the engine just ... did nothing. I had plenty of space and pulled over safely, but I can imagine 100 situations where that could have cost me my life! It should be a recall! Anyway...

I wonder why they changed the drive mode names? Sport+ sounded cooler ... I spend most of the time in comfort anyway. I guess they want the "normal" mode to make the car seem more sporty.

Quick Reply: My New RDX A-Spec Advance...the first 2000 miles