Moonroof leak and Acuracare extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Moonroof leak and Acuracare extended warranty

2019 RDX AWD Tech. 37K. Took Acuracare extended warranty for 4 years / 50K just before the end of the 4 year warranty period.

ater started leaking after rain, down the inside of the front windshield, and also along the rear view mirror. Significant leak. Suspect the moonroof drains are blocked.

Two questions: (1) Will Acura cover this under the extended warranty. (2) If not, what cost to expect if going to a dealer (I'm in Michigan).
Old 07-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 349 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by vvraman
2019 RDX AWD Tech. 37K. Took Acuracare extended warranty for 4 years / 50K just before the end of the 4 year warranty period.

ater started leaking after rain, down the inside of the front windshield, and also along the rear view mirror. Significant leak. Suspect the moonroof drains are blocked.

Two questions: (1) Will Acura cover this under the extended warranty. (2) If not, what cost to expect if going to a dealer (I'm in Michigan).
You'll need to get Acura to look at it first to answer both of your question if its covered under warranty. My experience is that rare issue like this will need the corporate Acura rep to review the issue to see if it is covered. In terms of the the drain line issues - is there a lot of debris inside your sunroof by the drain holes?
The following users liked this post:
vvraman (07-08-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
They might not cover it, extended warranties usually do not cover any weather shield rubber stripping or if they determine there is a blocked drain line.
still worth trying to if they cover it
vvraman (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 12:55 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Many moons ago, we bought a used MDX, bought an Acuracare extended warranty and had water stains on the driver's side A pillar. Diagnosis and fix were covered. Just a data point from the past.
vvraman (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

Thanks. Don't know the extent of the blockage. Have scheduled dealer visit this week, and will update after I know more.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had a leak into my 2019 RDX when it rained. The water would come inside through the rear near the subwoofer on the back right. Took it to Acura. They suspected it was a clogged sunroof drain. Big job, which basically requires taking the entire interior apart, drying out all of the carpets, checking for any rust, mold etc. Replacing any rusted parts. Not cheap. Acura advisor said that had I waited any longer, the car could have been considered totaled. They told me to contact my insurance. Insurance covered the repair (minus the deductible). Insurance paid for all the repairs, although they are now starting to consider clogged drains as "maintenance" and no longer cover the replacement of that part.... No where in the general service checkups when bringing your car in for service does anyone ever say to check your drains. No maintenance minders on it, nothing in the maintenance section of the manual.
vvraman (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the detail. I’m starting to get concerned that this is going to burn a hole in my wallet.
Have the service appointment with the dealer this week, and provide an update.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmbgator
I recently had a leak into my 2019 RDX when it rained. The water would come inside through the rear near the subwoofer on the back right. Took it to Acura. They suspected it was a clogged sunroof drain. Big job, which basically requires taking the entire interior apart, drying out all of the carpets, checking for any rust, mold etc. Replacing any rusted parts. Not cheap. Acura advisor said that had I waited any longer, the car could have been considered totaled. They told me to contact my insurance. Insurance covered the repair (minus the deductible). Insurance paid for all the repairs, although they are now starting to consider clogged drains as "maintenance" and no longer cover the replacement of that part.... No where in the general service checkups when bringing your car in for service does anyone ever say to check your drains. No maintenance minders on it, nothing in the maintenance section of the manual.

Thanks for the detail. I’m starting to get concerned that this is going to burn a hole in my wallet.
Have the service appointment with the dealer this week, and provide an update
Old 07-16-2024, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

Thanks all for the responses. Here’s the udpate:
- The auto glass shop that did the new windshield four years ago (after pebble damage) took a 60 second look and said it is blocked drainage of the moonroof, and the mechanic is where I should be starting.
- Went to the mechanic, who poured a cup a water in the gutterms with the moonroof fully retracted, and showed that the water was flowing down normally down the drainage pipes in the pillars.
- So back to the auto glass shop. This time, after spending 45 minutes with their corporate office to ask for warranty coverage, they looked at the windshield, noticed that it was literally getting pulled out on one side due to failed glue from the last job and / or poor workmanship.
- So the windshield was removed, the affixing area clearned, and re-installed. On caution for a week about no car wash, but was told normal rain was OK.

Keeping fingers crossed now that thsi ends the leak problem. Thanks all once again for being so helpful in this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by vvraman:
GW208 (07-16-2024), RDXRN (07-27-2024)