Map update - quick questions '21 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map update - quick questions '21 RDX

Sup everyone,

I've seen a post on this, but a few things seem unclear to me.

1 - How long does this update take?

2 - I'm never spending an hour at a time driving. I WFH and furthest destination is 20 minutes away. If i update in my driveway.... Accessory mode or turn on the engine? Pros/cons? (Accessory mode destroys battery?!)

3 - I hear that the update continues if you leave the usb stick in and can be completed over the course of multiple drives/power cycles? Anyone done this?

4 - Called Acura yesterday regarding 'send to car' from my phone app. I cant send a destination when the car is off. It only sends if Im sitting in the car over handsfreelink (defeats the purpose). For this, I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the acuralink app and did a factory reset of my infotainment (their instructions) Anyone else have these issues?

​​​​​​​Thanks all 👍🏼
Old 08-30-2022, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I got it to work….yes, it does take 60 minutes to upload from the USB drive to the RDX. Accessory mode with no other lights or power consuming options on for 60 minutes in the driveway and it’s done!
Just extended the lease of my 2020 RDX as it took me 10 months to get my 2022 Lexus NX. After 20 years of Acura (4 MDX’s and the RDX), this is my last Acura. The software/infotainment still sucks and I’m not going all electric.
The following users liked this post:
Bknyjp (08-30-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by motif88
I got it to work….yes, it does take 60 minutes to upload from the USB drive to the RDX. Accessory mode with no other lights or power consuming options on for 60 minutes in the driveway and it’s done!
Just extended the lease of my 2020 RDX as it took me 10 months to get my 2022 Lexus NX. After 20 years of Acura (4 MDX’s and the RDX), this is my last Acura. The software/infotainment still sucks and I’m not going all electric.
My son who was due for a new car replaced his 2nd generation Acura RDX with a hybrid Honda CR-V. It is missing a few features that are on the 3rd generation RDX like the surround camera, but the lesser price and better gas mileage is the tradeoff. I have read some publications saying that the RDX will in the future have an all electric version and a gasoline version but not a hybrid.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, the globalist bozos that took energy advice from a petulant 14 year old with asperger’s syndrome need to pay the price. Gas/Electric Hybrid and potentially Hydrogen = yes. All electric = NO.

Energy costs are skyrocketing in Europe and soon the U.S. for a self imposed, moronic plan. China is strip mining the earth of rare earth minerals necessary for batteries at enormous environmental costs. Along with India they are building coal fired plants, nuclear and other rational plans to produce energy while Europe and the U.S, on on a path to self destruct, If you can’t afford to use electricity now, just wait….by the way, where do all the dead batteries go to die?

Old 09-07-2022, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by motif88
….by the way, where do all the dead batteries go to die?
Battery heaven??? Ha!!!

Most won't just die - rather loose capacity over time and be outdated by new technology. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to recycle them. Maybe inexpensive home power backups if you have solar? Can't melt down the metal of a old ICE - this is going to take some thought and a lot of $$$$ to figure out the end process.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone been able to complete the map update over several power cycles? Like the OP, I rarely drive my car more than 30mins at a time, and is a bit hesitant to leave it in accessory mode for an hour.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishaay
Has anyone been able to complete the map update over several power cycles? Like the OP, I rarely drive my car more than 30mins at a time, and is a bit hesitant to leave it in accessory mode for an hour.
I'm of the opinion that the update starts over from scratch if it hasn't been completed in one continuous power cycle. I tried to install the update a couple of times with about 45 minute drives without success. We were recently out on a longer drive and got the update complete message at about an hour and 15 to 20 minutes.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
I read somewhere that the map updating process should pick up from where it stops between multiple cycles, but I never bother testing and confirming it. The map updating process runs slower (more than an hour) with engine on, probably due to more programs/services running in the bakground. In accessory mode, the update usually is under 50 min, so it is the way to go if you don't do longer drives.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
As for the send-to-car feature, I think you need the Acuralink security package to be able to send it without Bluetooth connection.
Old 10-15-2022, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
I read somewhere that the map updating process should pick up from where it stops between multiple cycles, but I never bother testing and confirming it. The map updating process runs slower (more than an hour) with engine on, probably due to more programs/services running in the bakground. In accessory mode, the update usually is under 50 min, so it is the way to go if you don't do longer drives.
I haven't tried doing an update in accessory mode because the owners manual says that it will power off after 30-60 minutes to save the battery. I will give this a try next time though if we get another update. If the update can be completed before accessary mode shuts down, it would be more convenient.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:39 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
As for the send-to-car feature, I think you need the Acuralink security package to be able to send it without Bluetooth connection.
It works with the Remote package. I've used it a couple times but I won't ever again. You can't clear the app's history. Once you send a route, it's there forever. Doesn't make sense. That might be fine for a route you use a lot, but then, if you already know how to get there, why would you need navigation again and again?