Leaking coolant ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Leaking coolant ?

Hey all,

Looks like this is a coolant leak? Can anyone confirm this tube is for coolant? Color of the leak appears to have greenish/yellow haze and is very sticky even though it is all dry. Attaching some pics.. Thanks

Old 05-15-2020, 05:43 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
That's not a coolant line. I'm assuming it's part of the PCV system. No coolant or liquid is going to run thru there. Are you having an issue with oil dilution? Mine is completely dry.

For the future, our coolant is a dark blue, not green/yellow.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leomio85
That's not a coolant line. I'm assuming it's part of the PCV system. No coolant or liquid is going to run thru there. Are you having an issue with oil dilution? Mine is completely dry.

For the future, our coolant is a dark blue, not green/yellow.
Yea after thinking about it a bit more after posting I didn't think it was coolant either. Ive always been able to smell a scent of gas in the oil but I don't know how diluted it actually is? Why do you ask about oil dilution, how would the two relate? Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 PM

How's the oil level? If it's part of the PCV system, overfilled oil in the crankcase due to oil dilution could create more of a likelihood for oil to enter the PCV system ... and causing it to seep out at that port. Try removing that hose and seeing if the inside of the hose is coated with oil. If so, there's the issue. Mine is bone dry upon removal. Really just speculating, but makes sense to me ...
Old 05-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leomio85
How's the oil level? If it's part of the PCV system, overfilled oil in the crankcase due to oil dilution could create more of a likelihood for oil to enter the PCV system ... and causing it to seep out at that port. Try removing that hose and seeing if the inside of the hose is coated with oil. If so, there's the issue. Mine is bone dry upon removal. Really just speculating, but makes sense to me ...
Thanks I’ll check that hose tomorrow. It’s just strange that the fluid that leaked has a greenish tint. Let’s see what’s inside the hose and go from there. I’ll report back
Old 05-15-2020, 11:34 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregory Kozlowski
Thanks I’ll check that hose tomorrow. It’s just strange that the fluid that leaked has a greenish tint. Let’s see what’s inside the hose and go from there. I’ll report back
A hose that doesn't carry fluid appears to be leaking fluid that looks like coolant, but it's not the color of coolant used in this car? Nothing leaking from the engine, that I know, should be 1985 Prestone green. Nothing makes sense here.

Has anyone done work inside the engine area? Maybe a wet funnel or something similar rested on that hose which dripped down to that cover, simulating a localized leak? If it's me, I clean that area and watch it closely for fresh signs of an actual leak.

Good luck.... again.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DJA123
A hose that doesn't carry fluid appears to be leaking fluid that looks like coolant, but it's not the color of coolant used in this car? Nothing leaking from the engine, that I know, should be 1985 Prestone green. Nothing makes sense here.

Has anyone done work inside the engine area? Maybe a wet funnel or something similar rested on that hose which dripped down to that cover, simulating a localized leak? If it's me, I clean that area and watch it closely for fresh signs of an actual leak.

Good luck.... again.

Thanks. I’m gonna check the inside of the tube tomorrow. I know I’ve had my fair share of issues with the vehicle but I actually still love the thing. Will report back tomorrow
Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
When is the last time you had the dealer work on the car?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dereileak
When is the last time you had the dealer work on the car?
They have had it a few times over the past 4 months but not to fix anything ‘under the hood’.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Advanced

So...I pulled the rubber tube this morning. I found that there was definitely a small amount of residue on the outside edge of the rubber tubing but the inside was dry. I took a toothpick and gently ran it through the plastic male connector (pointing to with red arrow in attached photo) and there was definitely a small amount of some type of liquid in there. I cleaned the area thoroughly and will take it for a good long drive today.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

So...I pulled the rubber tube this morning. I found that there was definitely a small amount of residue on the outside edge of the rubber tubing but the inside was dry. I took a toothpick and gently ran it through the plastic male connector (pointing to with red arrow in attached photo) and there was definitely a small amount of some type of liquid in there. I cleaned the area thoroughly and will take it for a good long drive today.
If that is part of the PCV system, I think some oily vapor residue inside the tubing could be normal. But the greenish color is a head scratcher. Whether or not that's an active leak is the next logical test...

Last edited by DJA123; 05-16-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DJA123
If that is part of the PCV system, I think some oily vapor residue inside the tubing is normal. But the greenish color is a head scratcher. Whether or not that's an active leak is the next logical test...
Totally agree. The only other thing I can think of is that I washed y car about two weeks ago with Chemical Guys Clean Slate before applying Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic. The Chemical Guys Clean Slate has a yellowish color. I just don't see how the soap could have gotten directly onto that part and nowhere else..seems too coincidental but a possibility nonetheless. Checked everywhere else and I do not see this game residue anywhere. Will take for a drive and report back. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:27 PM

Oil mixed with water (condensation) can become murky and even congeal into a pudding like consistency. I've seen it on the underside of oil fill caps. That would be my best guess as to what it is. Best remedy is to go out, get it up to operating temp ... and then rip on it like you stole it.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
I'm guessing something dripped down from above, and that tube is an innocent bystander that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Makes me wonder why that plastic umbrella is there above it.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
I'm guessing something dripped down from above, and that tube is an innocent bystander that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Makes me wonder why that plastic umbrella is there above it.

I hope thats the case..I cleaned it up really well and went for a drive last night..no signs of anything yet. Going to warm her up good and drive it hard today for a bit and see what happens.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:39 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

I hope thats the case..I cleaned it up really well and went for a drive last night..no signs of anything yet. Going to warm her up good and drive it hard today for a bit and see what happens.
Watch it occasionally over time, but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see a problem here.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
If you think about things enough your mind can create all sorts of problems.