Hands free lift gate accessory in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:34 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Hands free lift gate accessory in Canada

Mostly an fyi but I was browsing the Acura.ca accessories page and it lists the hands free lift gate as an accessory that can be added to the RDX (https://www.acura.ca/rdx/accessories). This doesn't show up during the build process (not listed as an accessory on either the US or Canadian sites) and I don't see it on Curry Acura's accessories either.

For me, this is the most important feature that's missing in the A-Spec as I don't mind missing out on the adaptive dampers and some of the more frilly things found in the Elite Platinum.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
Mostly an fyi but I was browsing the Acura.ca accessories page and it lists the hands free lift gate as an accessory that can be added to the RDX (https://www.acura.ca/rdx/accessories). This doesn't show up during the build process (not listed as an accessory on either the US or Canadian sites) and I don't see it on Curry Acura's accessories either.

For me, this is the most important feature that's missing in the A-Spec as I don't mind missing out on the adaptive dampers and some of the more frilly things found in the Elite Platinum.
That's interesting. I think in the case of the A-spec, the back bumper design is different so it may not be able to accomodate the hands-free sensor? It's been mentioned on this forum that the spare tire might also mounted a little differently on the A-Spec because of the cosmetic changes too.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy
...the spare tire might also mounted a little differently on the A-Spec because of the cosmetic changes too.
Spare tire is not available with the A-Spec package - pump and sealant only even on the AWD models.
The following users liked this post:
SUVGuy (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Spare tire is not available with the A-Spec package - pump and sealant only even on the AWD models.
Ah okay, thanks for the correction!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:07 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
So I pulled up the Acura Canada brochure for the RDX and the A-Spec in Canada comes with a spare tire and not a sealant kit. Weird that in the US that it doesn't come with a real spare tire.

I'm going to make a leap here and guess that there really isn't a difference between A-Spec and non-A-Spec cars but that it's a marketing/sales spin on things and that the hand free tailgate accessory actually does fit under the A-Spec (it should be a pretty small module).
Old 06-27-2018, 07:58 AM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
So I pulled up the Acura Canada brochure for the RDX and the A-Spec in Canada comes with a spare tire and not a sealant kit. Weird that in the US that it doesn't come with a real spare tire.

I'm going to make a leap here and guess that there really isn't a difference between A-Spec and non-A-Spec cars but that it's a marketing/sales spin on things and that the hand free tailgate accessory actually does fit under the A-Spec (it should be a pretty small module).
I can confirm the Canadian ASpec has the space saver tire.(all Canadian RDX models are awd). The spare tire specs are identical to the non ASpec with 19 inch wheels and both the demo ASpec I drove and the one in the showroom had the spare tire. Strange that it does not include a cargo cover except as an option but the windows are very heavily tinted and this is maybe not needed for privacy purposes.
I also believe there should be no reason why the small hands free sensor would fit beneath or in the ASpec trim piece. I know on the CRV touring with the hitch install, there is a repositioning kit for the sensor so it can obviously be moved around

Last edited by nuke; 06-27-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by nuke

I can confirm the Canadian ASpec has the space saver tire.(all Canadian RDX models are awd). The spare tire specs are identical to the non ASpec with 19 inch wheels and both the demo ASpec I drove and the one in the showroom had the spare tire. Strange that it does not include a cargo cover except as an option but the windows are very heavily tinted and this is maybe not needed for privacy purposes.
I also believe there should be no reason why the small hands free sensor would fit beneath or in the ASpec trim piece. I know on the CRV touring with the hitch install, there is a repositioning kit for the sensor so it can obviously be moved around
good to know. I would try to get the dealer to include the spare tire but it probably means they have to tear apart the back to put in the lowering system and all the extra parts in addition to the tire.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

good to know. I would try to get the dealer to include the spare tire but it probably means they have to tear apart the back to put in the lowering system and all the extra parts in addition to the tire.
I highly doubt there is anything to tear apart. Probably a plug to punch out for the lowering system and replacing the pump and sealant which is probably in a foam insert with the jack, wrench etc which is also likely in a foam insert. Forgot to look at where the jack is installed in the Canadian version. It still has those two empty compartments under the floor..maybe under that?
I would definately want at least a space saver tire. Just would not trust that sealant goop. I bring my own tire plugs and a heavier duty air pump with me as well.