Getting dealer to fix windshield wiper issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Angry Getting dealer to fix windshield wiper issue?

My wife's 2021 RDX has an odd issue, intermittently the windshield wipers completely stop working, she has been caught in some rain and I'm concerned about her safety. This may happen for a few days or a few hours, then they work again no problem until the next time. I have taken it to the dealer and they mentioned their is a bulletin about this (not a recall though), but in order to have them replace the wiper motor they would need proof of the issue, the service manager says that Acura grills them on providing video proof before they will pay (not sure if this is BS or not). Anyway because it's an intermittent issue they could not get the wipers to malfunction while at the shop.

Any thoughts on how to approach this? This is an extremely important safety issue and I can't leave the car unrepaired. But at the same time I feel Acura should stand behind their vehicle, if they can't find the issue then they need to start replacing parts one by one, they can start with the bulletin they mentioned and the wiper motor. My other concern is that the factory warranty runs out soon and that I would be stuck with this issue. For now I told her to switch with me, but she doesn't want to as my driving is all highway and she is all local so she can more easily pull off the road and call for help. I told her to at least try to get it on video next time it happens so we can bring that back to the dealer. But should Acura be responsible for this?

Edit: I'm wondering if this is the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46411-0001.pdf

Last edited by spinedoc777; 03-07-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Why not take a video when the issue is happening? If it is happening for anywhere from a few hours to few days you should definitely be able to take a video and show them.

I worked as a service advisor at Nissan (worst job in my life) and Nissan genuinely did want video proof sometimes, but that was reserved to huge repairs only. I.e the Titan had a very very common problem with cylinders scoring and it made an audible ticking sound so we had to video tape ourselves showing the VIN and then a continuous video to the engine bay to show the sound and it had to be submitted with the warranty forms to replace the engine. However in this case it sounds like B.S to me.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
This sounds like the issue described at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...48681-0001.pdf. I have found that it may take sme period of time while Acura “gathers” information pertinent to the decision process. But it may prove worthwhile to report the situation to NHTSA through normal channels. At least then you have a record of the issue and the time/date/mileage associated with the problem.

In addition print and show the attached to the dealer service manager. In my case, a squeal from the brakes of a 2022 RDX, the service manager was unaware of the issue until I presented him with the applicable document.

Last edited by John from PA; 03-07-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
Why not take a video when the issue is happening? If it is happening for anywhere from a few hours to few days you should definitely be able to take a video and show them.

I worked as a service advisor at Nissan (worst job in my life) and Nissan genuinely did want video proof sometimes, but that was reserved to huge repairs only. I.e the Titan had a very very common problem with cylinders scoring and it made an audible ticking sound so we had to video tape ourselves showing the VIN and then a continuous video to the engine bay to show the sound and it had to be submitted with the warranty forms to replace the engine. However in this case it sounds like B.S to me.
Yeah she is definitely going to pull over and take a video next time it happens.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by John from PA
This sounds like the issue described at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...48681-0001.pdf. I have found that it may take sme period of time while Acura “gathers” information pertinent to the decision process. But it may prove worthwhile to report the situation to NHTSA through normal channels. At least then you have a record of the issue and the time/date/mileage associated with the problem.

In addition print and show the attached to the dealer service manager. In my case, a squeal from the brakes of a 2022 RDX, the service manager was unaware of the issue until I presented him with the applicable document.
Thanks, I went ahead and submitted a NHTSA report. Weird thing was the service manager said not to worry about it, if I came back after my warranty ran out they would still honor the repair because it was a safety issue. I think he just wanted me out of there as that sounds kind of fishy. I'm tempted to just replace the wiper motor, they are listing for about $80 and seems like an easy fix, but I don't want to have issues later on.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Yeah she is definitely going to pull over and take a video next time it happens.
If possible, inform her that when it happens again to try and get the on / off manipulation of the wiper switch in the same frame as the window / wipers not moving to have it be more compelling.

Weird thing was the service manager said not to worry about it, if I came back after my warranty ran out they would still honor the repair because it was a safety issue. I think he just wanted me out of there as that sounds kind of fishy. I'm tempted to just replace the wiper motor, they are listing for about $80 and seems like an easy fix, but I don't want to have issues later on.
I agree with your 'gut' feeling about that service manager.

The vague thing about that 'PRIORITY/ACTION REQUIRED' notice is that it gives no indication as to what is suspected, parts wise.
Wiper motor?
Wiper switch assembly? et al.

Also, you may disqualify yourself if you attempt a repair of your own based on #3 under the 'Qualifiers'?

Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2024, 09:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by zeta
If possible, inform her that when it happens again to try and get the on / off manipulation of the wiper switch in the same frame as the window / wipers not moving to have it be more compelling.

I agree with your 'gut' feeling about that service manager.

The vague thing about that 'PRIORITY/ACTION REQUIRED' notice is that it gives no indication as to what is suspected, parts wise.
Wiper motor?
Wiper switch assembly? et al.

Also, you may disqualify yourself if you attempt a repair of your own based on #3 under the 'Qualifiers'?

Good Luck!
Yeah I'm going to have her video the VIN on the same video as well. The service technician seemed to think the issue, at least on the bulletin, was the wiper motor because Acura was asking for the wiper motors to be sent back to be inspected by an engineer. So if I replace the wiper motor that would be an issue? It's an Acura part, but I guess they could say I'm not an Acura technician.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I'm going to have her video the VIN on the same video as well. The service technician seemed to think the issue, at least on the bulletin, was the wiper motor because Acura was asking for the wiper motors to be sent back to be inspected by an engineer. So if I replace the wiper motor that would be an issue? It's an Acura part, but I guess they could say I'm not an Acura technician.
If you are handy with a wrench the #1 wiper motor does not appear to be a complicated removal / install.

Besides, in my book you are justified to proceed now with any fix you see fit, as a wifey safety issue, because I sure as heck would not want to wait for Corp. Acura to get its 'issue' examination act together.

I live in FL & understand completely, dysfunctioning wipers are not something you need upon a sudden cloud burst at any road speed.

The hardest / tedious part(s) to remove my be the #15 front cowl top assembly?
Looks like a lot of plastic fasteners & such?

The following users liked this post:
spinedoc777 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 04:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zeta
If you are handy with a wrench the #1 wiper motor does not appear to be a complicated removal / install.

Besides, in my book you are justified to proceed now with any fix you see fit, as a wifey safety issue, because I sure as heck would not want to wait for Corp. Acura to get its 'issue' examination act together.

I live in FL & understand completely, dysfunctioning wipers are not something you need upon a sudden cloud burst at any road speed.

The hardest / tedious part(s) to remove my be the #15 front cowl top assembly?
Looks like a lot of plastic fasteners & such?

I'm more than handy with a wrench and wouldn't have any issues, I just don't want to have the dealer tell me it's my fault if any further repairs are needed. I wonder if they would even know I replaced it as it would be an Acura part anyway.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm more than handy with a wrench and wouldn't have any issues, I just don't want to have the dealer tell me it's my fault if any further repairs are needed. I wonder if they would even know I replaced it as it would be an Acura part anyway.

Well, if you replace $122 wiper motor and experience the same symptoms as a result, than the only things left would be at least the $35 #3 wiper switch assembly or perhaps the $7 #1 switch body, though that may just be a support frame with no relevance?
Just be careful not to 'bugger up' the plastic clips to badly & they will never know you were there.
Either way, I'd use a loud vocal 'safety concern' argument (preferably in a service wait area full of customers), with any service manager noise to hammer home a proactive remedy action you may employ, if needed that is.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 03-09-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Depends if the part has had a part number change since 2021. Otherwise I don't think they'd be able to tell. Frankly I'm kind of shocked your service department isn't treating this potentially very serious issue more seriously.

I think you're being too nice IMO. That could be horrible if she's driving and a vehicle comes up beside her and splashes her windshield and her wipers don't work. I think we've all had that moment of someone splashing our windshield and the immediate stress of being essentially blind.