Finicky Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts
Finicky Fuel Door

Has anyone else noticed that push to open/push to close fuel door takes a "delicate" touch to close and open as compared to other vehicles? Its much easier on my wife's GMC.

Now, this isn't much of a problem for me as I live in NJ. As im sure you all know us NJ folks (and Oregon) cant pump our own gas. Being that the RDX fuel door can be finicky many attendants have a hard time opening or closing it and dont have the most gentle of a touch...... I've had to scold at least one for trying slam it shut rather than gently. Slamming just keeps popping it back open and maybe dont slam on someone elses car!

I wish we could fill our own cars but staying in a warm car is nice when the winter rolls around I will admit. If its backed up most stations dont mind if you jump out and fill it up yourself quick but thats not always the case.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Twism86
Has anyone else noticed that push to open/push to close fuel door takes a "delicate" touch to close and open as compared to other vehicles? Its much easier on my wife's GMC.

Now, this isn't much of a problem for me as I live in NJ. As im sure you all know us NJ folks (and Oregon) cant pump our own gas. Being that the RDX fuel door can be finicky many attendants have a hard time opening or closing it and dont have the most gentle of a touch...... I've had to scold at least one for trying slam it shut rather than gently. Slamming just keeps popping it back open and maybe dont slam on someone elses car!

I wish we could fill our own cars but staying in a warm car is nice when the winter rolls around I will admit. If its backed up most stations dont mind if you jump out and fill it up yourself quick but thats not always the case.
The fuel door does require a gentle touch. The first time I filled up I could not get it open and was on the verge of prying it open until I realized that the fuel door automatically locks even if I am standing right there with the key on me.

Not being able t fill your own tank is a pretty lame "rule" in Jersey, I don't miss it.
I moved to PA awhile back and could NEVER go back to having an attendant pump my gas. In PA there are almost never any lines for gas. Unlike Jersey when it seems there are always lines.
Plus when I pump my own gas, I wont spill gas all over the side of my car or be extra rough when putting the pump in and I don't have to talk to someone who for the most part is pretty crabby from dealing with people who treat him like crap all day.

Last edited by SilverJ; 12-08-2023 at 09:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverJ:
amcobra (12-09-2023), ns324 (12-10-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverJ
The fuel door does require a gentle touch. The first time I filled up I could not get it open and was on the verge of prying it open until I realized that the fuel door automatically locks even if I am standing right there with the key on me.

Not being able t fill your own tank is a pretty lame "rule" in Jersey, I don't miss it.
I moved to PA awhile back and could NEVER go back to having an attendant pump my gas. In PA there are almost never any lines for gas. Unlike Jersey when it seems there are always lines.
Plus when I pump my own gas, I wont spill gas all over the side of my car or be extra rough when putting the pump in and I don't have to talk to someone who for the most part is pretty crabby from dealing with people who treat him like crap all day.
I always say please and thank you, as you mentioned, they have a relatively thankless job. This time of year I will also give out some tips on very cold days at the stations I frequent the most and see the same guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by Twism86:
MJ4RDX (12-08-2023), Vince D (12-13-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I always say please and thank you, as you mentioned, they have a relatively thankless job. This time of year I will also give out some tips on very cold days at the stations I frequent the most and see the same guys.
Good for you. That is a great way to be, if more people were like that, the world would be a better place
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverJ:
MJ4RDX (12-08-2023), Vince D (12-13-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Oregon finally got with the program this year and you can pump your own gas there. I’m in NJ as well, but have not noticed the door being too finicky. I use the same couple of gas stations all the time, and the attendant never has an issue. When I’ve filled up out of state I haven’t had an issue.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Maybe I'm gentle by nature, but I have found the fuel door open/close to be perfectly intuitive and never had any issue with it. The combination of
- push to open/close (i.e. no need to reach for a remote release button),
- capless fill (no unscrew/screw to mess up hands), and
- auto reset of trip odometer after filling (not the default setting in case you're curious)
make filling gas in the RDX the best I've ever had, and I actually look for these features in other cars and find that most are at least missing the 2nd and 3rd.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
MJ4RDX (12-11-2023), quikj (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Fuel door works just fine, there are many other important issues with this car than a fuel door....
The following users liked this post:
knakane (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by anoop
- auto reset of trip odometer after filling (not the default setting in case you're curious)
I just found this setting the other day! I always used to manually reset it so this is way more convenient! I reset my B trip every oil change to get a better overall MPG. So far im at 20.5 since owning the car for 6k miles.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
Fuel door works just fine, there are many other important issues with this car than a fuel door....
I didnt say it didnt work, I said it was finicky for some gas station attendants. You're in NJ too so we get very few chances to fuel up our own cars and use the door ourselves.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
sorry that this is a bit off topic but I had no idea there are states/places where they dont let you fill up your own car? thats insane, I would never want someone else touching my stuff like that cuz for sure they aren't very careful and just put huge fingerprints everywhere. Man thats crazy but I guess it is what it is.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by knakane
sorry that this is a bit off topic but I had no idea there are states/places where they dont let you fill up your own car? thats insane, I would never want someone else touching my stuff like that cuz for sure they aren't very careful and just put huge fingerprints everywhere. Man thats crazy but I guess it is what it is.
yes, NJ is the only state left. I hate it, some of those gas attendants are sloppy and are not careful opening or closing or inserting the nosel, get gas on the paint and etc. they will also yell at you if you try to pump your own gas (apparently the law forbids you to pump your own gas and they can get in trouble for letting you do it). We also got very strict gun laws, dont start me on that …
Old 12-13-2023, 11:00 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that push to open/push to close fuel door takes a "delicate" touch to close and open as compared to other vehicles? Now, this isn't much of a problem for me as I live in NJ. As im sure you all know us NJ folks (and Oregon) cant pump our own gas.
As mentioned in an earlier post, Oregon now allows a driver to pump their own fuel, although Oregon Local Union 555 is pushing a ballot measure to require attendants again in 2024. I'm all for Unions and providing jobs, but I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle after allowing drivers the freedom to pump their own fuel. There are stations that still offer a choice of full serve and self serve now.

Back to the OP topic, i've never encountered an issue with the fuel door when I pump my own fuel in Washington, but when I used to fuel up in Oregon the (minor) problem was that when I pulled up to the pump, rolled down my window (oh, wait- pushed a button) to drop the window - and instructed the attendant "fill up with 92 octane" he couldn't open the fuel door because it stays locked until the drivers side door opens up; so I had to crack open my door a little bit so he could pop the door...

Brought back memories of being a kid with my dad. Pulling up to a gas station and attendants were there fueling up, washing windows and checking under the hood...

Old 12-14-2023, 07:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vince D
As mentioned in an earlier post, Oregon now allows a driver to pump their own fuel, although Oregon Local Union 555 is pushing a ballot measure to require attendants again in 2024. I'm all for Unions and providing jobs, but I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle after allowing drivers the freedom to pump their own fuel. There are stations that still offer a choice of full serve and self serve now.

Back to the OP topic, i've never encountered an issue with the fuel door when I pump my own fuel in Washington, but when I used to fuel up in Oregon the (minor) problem was that when I pulled up to the pump, rolled down my window (oh, wait- pushed a button) to drop the window - and instructed the attendant "fill up with 92 octane" he couldn't open the fuel door because it stays locked until the drivers side door opens up; so I had to crack open my door a little bit so he could pop the door...

Brought back memories of being a kid with my dad. Pulling up to a gas station and attendants were there fueling up, washing windows and checking under the hood...
Yes, I noticed that I have to make sure I hit unlock at the right moment otherwise the fuel door stays locked.

You have 92 out there? Here we get 87, 89 and 93. Some stations have 91 in addition and select Sunoco stations will have 94. Never have seen 92 in my life. Some select stations (near racetracks mostly) will have even higher, like 98, on pump.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Yes, I noticed that I have to make sure I hit unlock at the right moment otherwise the fuel door stays locked.

You have 92 out there? Here we get 87, 89 and 93. Some stations have 91 in addition and select Sunoco stations will have 94. Never have seen 92 in my life. Some select stations (near racetracks mostly) will have even higher, like 98, on pump.
I had 93 in NC, 92 in MA, and only 91 in CA.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:31 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince D
... Brought back memories of being a kid with my dad. Pulling up to a gas station and attendants were there fueling up, washing windows and checking under the hood...
And gave you Green Stamps too...

Vince D (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 04:35 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by markAZ
And gave you Green Stamps too...
I completely forgot about that! I think there was also Blue Chip Stamps too. At least I remember going to their store with my mom and all of her booklets...
markAZ (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 04:38 PM
RDX ILX TSX

You have 92 out there? Here we get 87, 89 and 93. Some stations have 91 in addition and select Sunoco stations will have 94. Never have seen 92 in my life.
True. Oregon and Washington State has 87, 89 and 92. Just filled up at Shell and still rather spendy at $4.99.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
yes, NJ is the only state left. I hate it, some of those gas attendants are sloppy and are not careful opening or closing or inserting the nosel, get gas on the paint and etc. they will also yell at you if you try to pump your own gas (apparently the law forbids you to pump your own gas and they can get in trouble for letting you do it). We also got very strict gun laws, dont start me on that …
Amen to that! My wife gets upset every time they talk about allowing self serve. Yet it’s probably been at least 5 years since she’s had to fill up when I wasn’t in the car. And don’t get me started about the ridiculous gun laws either.