3.0L turbo 6 for RDX/MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Beyond just the product itself, a key thing they’ll have to execute on is the sales (and post-sales) experience. For them to be taken seriously, they have to make you feel like you bought something special and treat you like a VIP. Lexus does it, the Germans do it, Land Rover does it, and Acura...does not. Genesis has a shot if they start fresh, but if they’re banking on the existing Hyundai/Kia dealership network to provide this level of customer service, they’re going to be DOA no matter how good their cars are. If they continue down the path of not having a dedicated dealership network, they have to be absolutely sure that their customers will never set foot in a H/K dealership. I know this sounds elitist, but if I’m paying $50K+ for a luxury car, I expect not to have to rub shoulders with the plebs . I’d expect an airport lounge type of experience, not the DMV waiting room experience.
I have 7 dedicated Hyundai dealers in my metro areas with 3 combo Genesis/Hyundai dealers. Of the 3 combo dealers 2 are in the process of building standalone genesis dealerships that should be done by summer of 2021. Another benefit of buying a Genesis is the complimentary service valet in which they come to you pickup your vehicle and leave a loaner with you while it's serviced. You never even go to the dealership and rub shoulders with plebs.
The following users liked this post:
Entrepid (08-30-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
I have 7 dedicated Hyundai dealers in my metro areas with 3 combo Genesis/Hyundai dealers. Of the 3 combo dealers 2 are in the process of building standalone genesis dealerships that should be done by summer of 2021. Another benefit of buying a Genesis is the complimentary service valet in which they come to you pickup your vehicle and leave a loaner with you while it's serviced. You never even go to the dealership and rub shoulders with plebs.
The service valet is only good for 3 years, right?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Only proles keep cars for more than three years.

I generally operate on 10.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:10 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Now to be fair, I showed up to the Kia dealership in my wife’s TLX wearing a button down shirt. Maybe if I had been driving a car more befitting of the Kia badge, like a Bentley or Rolls Royce, and wearing a 3-piece suit I would have been allowed to sit in it.
Lol... Sometimes the guys with lots of cash dress down. Can't always go by first impressions.

Was thinking about getting the Sorrento before I got the RDX. Kia dealer offered me what worked out to be around $1,000 off MSRP for a demonstrator model like he was doing me a favour. Religiously avoided giving me the price of the car... always answered with how many dollars it would be bi-weekly, as if that ploy would work. Such juvenille sales tactics
Old 08-22-2020, 01:32 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
What M engined X3 are you talking about? The X3 M40i? Certainly not the X3M, which is the real M car, but nobody expects the Type-S to compete with the real Ms. The X3 M40i is not a real M car, it does not have an M engine, and it certainly is something that the Type-S should compete against given the price ($55K) and position in the lineup (one step above the base).
While the X3 M40i is technically not an M car, it is ridiculously fast with neck snapping acceleration and immediate responses to inputs. In a different league compared to the RDX, and I would bet even with the 3.0 T, the RDX would not compare to the immediate responses of the Bimmer.

There is simply too much lag / hesitation with Honda/Acura products (we have an Odyssey too) to compete with the likes of an X3 M40i. I would be surprised if an RDX Type S exorcised the hesitation / lag issues, especially after braking, let alone bridge the power defecit compared to the M40i engine (rated at 382 hp, but likely stronger than that).
Old 08-22-2020, 06:39 AM
Drifting

The Bimmer straight six is a honey. Honda, an engine company, just does not make a 3.0 liter six that is that good other than the NSX.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Acura type S MDX/RDX has to be offered for less money than similarly spec/equipped BMW.
Otherwise no one will buy it. I would not.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:45 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
There is simply too much lag / hesitation with Honda/Acura products (we have an Odyssey too) to compete with the likes of an X3 M40i. I would be surprised if an RDX Type S exorcised the hesitation / lag issues, especially after braking, ...
I have to agree.

As I'm becoming more familiar with the RDX, this is rising to the top of the few things I don't like. During highway lane shift situations, I notice it everytime now. It's a little unnerving, and I consider it before merging or swapping lanes. I'd rather not have that concern. But, I think many would agree that it's not solely the engine to blame for the hesitation.

This will definitely be something I more carefully investigate during future test drives, especially if looking at a straight ICE vehicle.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA123
I have to agree.

As I'm becoming more familiar with the RDX, this is rising to the top of the few things I don't like. During highway lane shift situations, I notice it everytime now. It's a little unnerving, and I consider it before merging or swapping lanes. I'd rather not have that concern. But, I think many would agree that it's not solely the engine to blame for the hesitation.

This will definitely be something I more carefully investigate during future test drives, especially if looking at a straight ICE vehicle.
An electric motor or two could fill in that torque gap quite nicely, IMO. Seems like a missed opportunity to be ahead of the curve, instead of watching the taillights of the competition disappear from view around the curve.

But like everything else in this delightful republic of ours, electrification of automobiles has become politicized. And Acura plays to the American consumer, so they dare not offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wander
An electric motor or two could fill in that torque gap quite nicely, IMO. Seems like a missed opportunity to be ahead of the curve, instead of watching the taillights of the competition disappear from view around the curve.

But like everything else in this delightful republic of ours, electrification of automobiles has become politicized. And Acura plays to the American consumer, so they dare not offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.
I'm pretty sure those customers aren't exactly Acura's target clientele. How many of them do you think would ever buy an import (ignoring for a second that Acura is American and the cars are wholly designed and built in the US, for better or for worse).
Old 08-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJA123
I have to agree.

Back when I was driving lower horsepower sticks, I would have to downshift and get in the right rev range when I knew I would need power.

I would not expect to have to do that with this car, but a couple of downshifts on the paddle in advance of the move oughta do it. Lane shifts with power are foreseeable events.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander

I'd be pretty keen for a variant of the MDX's hybrid system to be put into the RDX. As the RDX is the biggest volume seller it's the place to sell a hybrid.

As I drive mostly in the city my fuel economy is pretty trash and an electric motor not only addresses that deficit but does a while bunch of nice performance minded things - things that are inline with the brand message Acura is trying for.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:25 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Back when I was driving lower horsepower sticks, I would have to downshift and get in the right rev range when I knew I would need power.

I would not expect to have to do that with this car, but a couple of downshifts on the paddle in advance of the move oughta do it. Lane shifts with power are foreseeable events.
Sure, this is usually true. But we all drive, and we know there are times when a hole opens quickly, or we suddenly realize we need to be in a different spot. Or, we just don't want to have to compensate for an inherent shortcoming. The car should be a partner and do our bidding.

I also have a lower horsepower car with a stick, and I'm fully involved with power delivery in that car. When driving a fairly powerful modern automatic, I want the car to do what I would do, only faster and without me doing part of the work.

It's not a terrible condition, but I just don't like it. Beyond that, it's potentially a safety issue if I misjudge a gap and the car doesn’t bail me out because it can't react fast enough.

Apologies for taking this off-topic.

Last edited by DJA123; 08-23-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
A few weeks ago I needed to make a quick lane change to avoid a vehicle that was abruptly stopping in front of me without warning. I could have braked, but the next lane was open. I was on a slight uphill grade, going about 40 mph, in a 45 mph zone, in Comfort mode. I punched it, got a very quick chirp from the front tires (FWD) and had no hesitation what so ever. My wife wasn't pleased, but ...uhm...I was quite surprised at my end velocity, on a city street! I have no idea what gear it went to, but man, did this thing fly!

I totally understand the need for power, and even more specifically, hesitation-less power. And I understand that the hesitation most often mentioned here is at a lower speed. Having owned many Hybrid vehicles, I agree that the instant torque of the electric motor(s) would go a long way to end the hesitation some owners experience, but at what initial cost? It may be a driving style, I don't know... but I am rarely in as much of a need for instant acceleration as I was this day, and the RDX did not fail me.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 08-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (08-23-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BGR
I can't give you specific sources but I have more than one. They wanted to put the 2.0T in but didn't. Reveal is scheduled for October so it's not too far away.
Looks like you were correct .

For clarification, you mentioned that they wanted to put in the 2.0T but didn't...would you be able to share why they didn't? Was it a technical reason, or a product/marketing decision?
Old 10-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

video mentions its a 3.5 liter with 10 speed. This looks like a plus size RDX. Very clean looking.

Acura is nailing the design language lately.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
https://youtu.be/57xR3nJpVCs

video mentions its a 3.5 liter with 10 speed. This looks like a plus size RDX. Very clean looking.

Acura is nailing the design language lately.
I am a bit disappointed there is no info about the hybrid powertrain. I haven't read the press release but sounds to me J35+10AT is the "base" engine, could tech+ package have mild-hybrid thrown in?