Notices

Windshield distortion

Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield distortion

Just recently purchased a 2019 AWD with Tech package. Noticed that the windshields have distortions near the A pillars. Do others folks on this forum have the same on their windshields? Would appreciate comments from those with this generation of MDX (2014+)

Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
This has been discussed at some length. Take it back and make them replace the windshield
Old 04-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Donn0128 View Post
This has been discussed at some length. Take it back and make them replace the windshield
has acura actually replaced windshields because of this and were the replacements any better than the original? My 2019 has this as well and it seems like how it's designed (i.e. Not a one off defect)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Just looked at my friendís 2018 MDX and no distortion whatsoever. Iíve seen other 2019ís with the distortion. Wonder if something changed between the model years.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
No distortion on my 2018 Hybrid
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

I'd be curious if there is actually no distorition, or if you just don't notice it. The lighting has to be right for it to be visible and it's only visibile right by the A pillar. Looking through other threads across 2 forums (here and MDXers) I see this issue going back to 2017 and I have seen no indication it only impacts some people and not others; I suspect it's present on all MDX windshields however most people probably don't notice it or if they do don't care.

If someone has an MDX without this distortion it would be helpful to post a picture of it outside in sunlight with some straight object in the background, in the photo's in other forums it's readily visible if there is a straight line object (garage door, curb, etc) in daylight and you can see the line curve as it approaches the A pillar.

Similarly, if someone has had their windshield successfully replaced by Acura under warranty for this issue, and the replacement addressed the issue, that would be helpful to know as well.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bmoua15 View Post
No distortion on my 2018 Hybrid
Would you mind posting the label on your windshield? Mines is attached. Curious if there are multiple versions of glass being used.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

There may be different glass on the models with heated windshield vs those without, I believe heated windshield is only on advance? I'll post a pic of the glass model on my 19 advance later
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
There may be different glass on the models with heated windshield vs those without, I believe heated windshield is only on advance? I'll post a pic of the glass model on my 19 advance later
My 19 ASpec has the heated windshield and I have never noticed the distorted windshield.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 PM
J37A5

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2017 TECH DOES have this. Rarely is it in line of sight and if it is it's very brief. I love driving this MDX, though it is my wife's daily driver. I noticed it right away. It was built July 2017.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New MDX owner (CPO) - with distortion

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife View Post
2017 TECH DOES have this. Rarely is it in line of sight and if it is it's very brief. I love driving this MDX, though it is my wife's daily driver. I noticed it right away. It was built July 2017.
I am able to clearly see the distortion immediately in front of passenger A pilllar. There are 7500 miles on my 2018 so am very interested to read if warranty replacement windshields correct the issue. I then need to weigh dealing with the distortion vs having the service dept pry out/replace.

My windshield label is identical to the pic in prior post. Date of mfg 2/2018.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

I suspect this is present on all MDX and is just the way the windshield is designed/shaped and isn't just a one-off issue only impacting some owners. I also suspect those that don't notice it that doesn't mean the issue isn't present, only that it isn't readily noticeable to them as it's only right by the A pillar and only if you happen to be looking out the windshield at this exact spot during daylight.

Unless someone who says their vehicle doesn't have this issue and posts a picture similar to the one at the top of this thread showing no distortion on their windshield.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
My '17 Tech (built June 2018) has slight distortion right in front of the A-Pillars - but frankly I never noticed it until I saw this post. I've been driving this car for 20 months now and never had an issue, and even after being made aware of it, the "distortion" never comes into play nor is really noticeable when driving. For me, given that - plus the issues you might create with replacing the windshield (including proper seal, proper removal-replacement of the trim, proper calibration of the camera on the windshield, etc - I'd just keep on driving and enjoy the rest of the car.

This reminds me of my '15 RDX that had this very slight "dip" in the dash panel right at the base of the windshield that some were going crazy about in the RDX forum - requesting that dealers replace the dash panel to fix the "dip". Turns out almost every RDX had it - and even the replacement dash pieces had it. Crazy how far some folks were going to try and address it......

andy
Old 05-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by andysinnh View Post
My '17 Tech (built June 2018) has slight distortion right in front of the A-Pillars - but frankly I never noticed it until I saw this post. I've been driving this car for 20 months now and never had an issue, and even after being made aware of it, the "distortion" never comes into play nor is really noticeable when driving. For me, given that - plus the issues you might create with replacing the windshield (including proper seal, proper removal-replacement of the trim, proper calibration of the camera on the windshield, etc - I'd just keep on driving and enjoy the rest of the car.

This reminds me of my '15 RDX that had this very slight "dip" in the dash panel right at the base of the windshield that some were going crazy about in the RDX forum - requesting that dealers replace the dash panel to fix the "dip". Turns out almost every RDX had it - and even the replacement dash pieces had it. Crazy how far some folks were going to try and address it......

andy
Just to be clear, I'm not considering having my windshield replaced with the goal of eliminating this distortion. I was simply curious if it had ever been definitively proven that A) it was a defect and only present in some windshields, B) Acura actually agreed to replace windshields for this under warranty and C) warranty replacements actually addressed this issue and had no distortion present.

As I mention, unless someone can prove otherwise I'm under the assumption that all 3rd gen MDX have this distortion and it isn't a defect, it's just the shape of the windshield on the MDX. Meaning warranty replacements will have same exact distortion. To your point I rarely notice it, but I have noticed it a few times. When the poster above said this had been discussed at length and to get it replaced I was curious as I haven't seen any posts where they actually replaced a windshield because of this and the replacement didn't have any distortion.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not considering having my windshield replaced with the goal of eliminating this distortion. I was simply curious if it had ever been definitively proven that A) it was a defect and only present in some windshields, B) Acura actually agreed to replace windshields for this under warranty and C) warranty replacements actually addressed this issue and had no distortion present.

As I mention, unless someone can prove otherwise I'm under the assumption that all 3rd gen MDX have this distortion and it isn't a defect, it's just the shape of the windshield on the MDX. Meaning warranty replacements will have same exact distortion. To your point I rarely notice it, but I have noticed it a few times. When the poster above said this had been discussed at length and to get it replaced I was curious as I haven't seen any posts where they actually replaced a windshield because of this and the replacement didn't have any distortion.
I understand - but my experience with OEM and replacement windshields over the years is that there is no such thing as an optically-perfect windshield - many have distortions in the middle of the screen, which would be a whole lot worse. The curves at the edges are common places for distortions like this, and I'd just chalk it up to "it's the way it is" and move along. Whether anyone has actually gone thru the process to address this distortion I don't know....
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6 View Post
My 19 ASpec has the heated windshield and I have never noticed the distorted windshield.
Well I stand corrected. I saw the distortion today. Too bad it was brought to my attention, maybe I would have never noticed it. Anyway, I will just leave it alone.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:13 PM

I noticed the distortion in both the passenger's side and the driver's side when I was test driving prior to purchase last year (2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD); it was apparent in every MDX that I looked at. After a year of ownership I hardly notice it.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 PM
WTF?

Received 336 Likes on 299 Posts
My TL had an aftermarket windshield and it did this on the bottom 1/3 just above the dash, all of the way accross...

So I guess defective windshields are a thing!