What's Your Favorite Tech Package Feature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 01:55 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
What's Your Favorite Tech Package Feature?

Wondering what everyone's favorite feature in the MDX Tech package is? Would you skip it and just go base if you don't really use any of the features included? Was it worth the extra ~$5k?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Els
Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
My #1 is the folding side mirrors. That really helps in tight parking spots or home garage. The LED puddle lights, front/rear parking sensors, cross traffic alert, and Blind Spot Indicators are also handy when parking or driving during rush hour day or night.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Honestly, rear door handle lock/unlock. With a kid, it's just that more useful.
The following users liked this post:
skarface (08-16-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My #1 is the folding side mirrors. That really helps in tight parking spots or home garage. The LED puddle lights, front/rear parking sensors, cross traffic alert, and Blind Spot Indicators are also handy when parking or driving during rush hour day or night.
Is this new because 2015 tech does not come with power folding mirrors.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Handy67
Is this new because 2015 tech does not come with power folding mirrors.
Yes, it's only on 2017+
Old 08-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sucks that 2019 Canadian Tech package does not come with power folding mirrors, LED Puddle lights nor rear door handle lock/unlock.

However I like the remote start and based on outside temp heat / ac turn on.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
All the safety sensing features are nice to have. I especially like the Lane Departure Warning when I tow my travel trailer, since the trailer is wider than the vehicle, and has little room for lane drift.

Attachment 120176
Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
It’s too hot!

I live in Miami so remote start is the most important and the one feature I use every day.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 AM
Racer

Does the USA version remote starter turn on the heat/AC automatically with the seat heaters? Does it work the same way if you added it to the base model? Would only be ~$400 if so.

I was interested in remote start and the rear door sensors plus maybe the blind spot monitor. Is the base sound system terrible?
Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by skarface
Does the USA version remote starter turn on the heat/AC automatically with the seat heaters? Does it work the same way if you added it to the base model? Would only be ~$400 if so.

I was interested in remote start and the rear door sensors plus maybe the blind spot monitor. Is the base sound system terrible?
I can only answer the last question and yes compared to ELS, the base sound system is garbage.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Ill never understand why you would get a base model? You get so much more value and features with the Tech. I would of purchased a Advanced but I needed a bench seat for the second row.

If you get the base model please go SHAWD.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmoua15
Ill never understand why you would get a base model? You get so much more value and features with the Tech. I would of purchased a Advanced but I needed a bench seat for the second row.

Seriously. Not getting shawd is just stupid. That is like the main selling point of any Acura. Might as well get a Lexus if you don't care about shawd. I can only assume it's people that want a premium car but can't really afford it.
bmoua15 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 05:37 AM
Racer

SHAWD seems like a no brainer to me but we're talking about a 7 passenger SUV so claims of 'super handling' probably is not very high on a lot of people's priorities haha. I like that the MDX doesn't handle like a boat compared to the RX350.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bmoua15

What features are you referring to?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by skarface
SHAWD seems like a no brainer to me but we're talking about a 7 passenger SUV so claims of 'super handling' probably is not very high on a lot of people's priorities haha. I like that the MDX doesn't handle like a boat compared to the RX350.
I guess. It was the selling point for me and the reason I chose an MDX over a Pilot.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM
mrgold35

I guess. It was the selling point for me and the reason I chose an MDX over a Pilot.
The Pilot looks like a better value if you compared feature to feature with the Pilot-vs-MDX. It was the sporty styling and more aggressive/sporty handling that pushed me towards Acura. I'm a little disappointed Honda tech is the same and a little better than Acura at this point of the model run. The tech MDX with sh-awd is the sweet spot for the right mix of luxury, tech, and sportiness. I would rather go for an used tech or adv MDX sh-awd compared to a new base sh-awd version everytime for the same price. I went for a used 11 MDX Adv+Ent with 30,000 miles for $12,000 cheaper compared to a brand new 14 MDX fwd tech when I was looking back in 2014. I haven't regretted that decision once after +5 years and +100,000 miles later.

Might as well go used if price is an issue since there is zero difference between the 2018-2020 versions of the MDXs other than price.

Last edited by mrgold35; 08-16-2019 at 07:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
bmoua15 (08-17-2019), Mr.Handy67 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Racer

The 2019 MDX has about $12k in discounts and an updated transmission, so there is little reason to go used. Savings wouldn't be much if anything if you stick to the same model design.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Racer

Anyone comment on the seat material differences and the dash. Does the LCD screen in between the gauges still come black and white and smaller on the base model or did they stop doing that?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 PM
Racer

Looks like the interior is a bit higher quality too

Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Seriously. Not getting shawd is just stupid. That is like the main selling point of any Acura. Might as well get a Lexus if you don't care about shawd. I can only assume it's people that want a premium car but can't really afford it.
Seriously?

Your comment may be the stupidest thing I've read on this forum. It's an SUV, not a sports car. I'll take the Quattro system in my Audi any day over SH-AWD.

Doubtful that SH-AWD is the main selling point of any Acura. I'm guessing quality, styling, and Honda.

As far "really can't afford it", We were set to pull the trigger on an Advanced, but the wife preferred a second row bench seat. Not being able to afford it had nothing to do with passing on SH-AWD.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 37tzee
Seriously?

Your comment may be the stupidest thing I've read on this forum. It's an SUV, not a sports car. I'll take the Quattro system in my Audi any day over SH-AWD.

Doubtful that SH-AWD is the main selling point of any Acura. I'm guessing quality, styling, and Honda.

As far "really can't afford it", We were set to pull the trigger on an Advanced, but the wife preferred a second row bench seat. Not being able to afford it had nothing to do with passing on SH-AWD.
I'm not debating whether Quattro or sh-awd is better. The MDX may not be a sports car but the capabilities of sh-awd, even on the MDX, are immense and it's really the only selling point over other vehicles in it's class. There are much better 3 row SUVs. If you are buying and want Honda reliability ( for what's it's worth nowadays) and need 3 rows but don't care about having one of the best AWD systems around, you might as well get a pilot. At least you get some AWD. FWD on an SUV is just nonsensical. Why bother paying premium gas on a barely premium car to not even get the most capable model MDX?
mrgold35 (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced

I'm not debating whether Quattro or sh-awd is better. The MDX may not be a sports car but the capabilities of sh-awd, even on the MDX, are immense and it's really the only selling point over other vehicles in it's class. There are much better 3 row SUVs. If you are buying and want Honda reliability ( for what's it's worth nowadays) and need 3 rows but don't care about having one of the best AWD systems around, you might as well get a pilot. At least you get some AWD. FWD on an SUV is just nonsensical. Why bother paying premium gas on a barely premium car to not even get the most capable model MDX?
You are arguing personal preferences.

I will argue that reliability, cost of ownership, and styling are selling points as well. I have no need for SH-AWD. I don't even have a need for a third row. We purchased an MDX because that's the car my wife wanted after a great experience with our 2008 MDX. Size-wise, an RDX made more sense, but its teething issues were/are a turnoff. An RDX350 wasn't seriously considered for a number of personal taste issues.

Your comment regarding premium gas is totally confusing. While "recommended" to get the ultimate, though hardly measurable performance and fuel economy benefits from the engine, its not "required".

I will argue that paying the price premium for SH-AWD when it's not needed (live in Saint Augustine, FL) is nonsensical in my particular situation, and honestly, I wouldn't qualify it as immense. For your particular situation, it seems to be of value, but that doesn't mean that value equation works for everyone.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:08 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by 37tzee
You are arguing personal preferences.

I will argue that reliability, cost of ownership, and styling are selling points as well. I have no need for SH-AWD. I don't even have a need for a third row. We purchased an MDX because that's the car my wife wanted after a great experience with our 2008 MDX. Size-wise, an RDX made more sense, but its teething issues were/are a turnoff. An RDX350 wasn't seriously considered for a number of personal taste issues.

Your comment regarding premium gas is totally confusing. While "recommended" to get the ultimate, though hardly measurable performance and fuel economy benefits from the engine, its not "required".

I will argue that paying the price premium for SH-AWD when it's not needed (live in Saint Augustine, FL) is nonsensical in my particular situation, and honestly, I wouldn't qualify it as immense. For your particular situation, it seems to be of value, but that doesn't mean that value equation works for everyone.
I live in southwest and I would never purchase another Acura without sh-awd. My 08 RDX, 11 MDX, and 19 sh-sh-awd all drive and handle like a smaller more agile vehicle because of sh-awd. Speed limit is 75-80 mph on the interstate and lots of mountain switchbacks to have fun with also. Sh-awd actually performs equally well if not better in dry conditions compared to wet/snow/slush conditions. If you don't like to push your vehicle performance envelop, then fwd is perfectly fine if you hit the brakes on curves instead of the accelerator like you can with sh-awd.

Another added benefit of picking the MDX sport hybrid tech version with the is the power train of 3.0L port V-6, 7DCT, 3 electric motors, regen braking, active dampers, 321hp/289tq, and +26-30 mpg depending how you drive. The sport hybrid has one of the best torque vectoring systems that work on/off engine power on curves/straights when you are accelerating, coasting, or braking. I don't think any mechanical awd system is as sophisticated as sh-sh-awd at the same price point. It is just a $1500 premium over the tech MDX with sh-awd if this MDX version is also in consideration.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I live in southwest and I would never purchase another Acura without sh-awd. My 08 RDX, 11 MDX, and 19 sh-sh-awd all drive and handle like a smaller more agile vehicle because of sh-awd. Speed limit is 75-80 mph on the interstate and lots of mountain switchbacks to have fun with also. Sh-awd actually performs equally well if not better in dry conditions compared to wet/snow/slush conditions. If you don't like to push your vehicle performance envelop, then fwd is perfectly fine if you hit the brakes on curves instead of the accelerator like you can with sh-awd.

Another added benefit of picking the MDX sport hybrid tech version with the is the power train of 3.0L port V-6, 7DCT, 3 electric motors, regen braking, active dampers, 321hp/289tq, and +26-30 mpg depending how you drive. The sport hybrid has one of the best torque vectoring systems that work on/off engine power on curves/straights when you are accelerating, coasting, or braking. I don't think any mechanical awd system is as sophisticated as sh-sh-awd at the same price point. It is just a $1500 premium over the tech MDX with sh-awd if this MDX version is also in consideration.
Very elegantly put and illustrates my argument that it comes down to personal preferences. You bought the car you wanted to do the things you like to do. Someone saying those factors are relevant to me is what I am balking at, and stating that it is stupid to not purchase SH-AWD is ridiculous.

Regarding our MDX:
  1. it's the wife's car, I think I have driven it twice since we got it in March;
  2. it's primary use is mall hopping and occasional interstate travel;
  3. no curvy mountain roads near St. Augustine, FL; and
  4. if I want to push a vehicle's performance envelope, I'll do it in my Audi or the Porsche Carrera 4 I have on order.
Enjoy your car. It sounds like it does exactly what you want and you are happy with it. Same her in my case.

Cheers!