Acura Parts Guy

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent color combo
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Since both the RDX and the 2014 MDX are new designs and both designed to pass the new small off set crash test does that mean the difference between them is size only and some luxury features? I think they both use the same percent of high strength steel? Any info on improved structure??
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
So are planning on buying one.
no. not now. after i saw it in person, i was left a lot less excited than i thought i would be. would it be nice to have all the updated bells and whistles? sure. i'm still attracted to the body styling of the 2G MDX. the price tag of the '14 and the annual property tax is something i can't stomach right now.
Acura_Dude (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
no. not now. after i saw it in person, i was left a lot less excited than i thought i would be. would it be nice to have all the updated bells and whistles? sure. i'm still attracted to the body styling of the 2G MDX. the price tag of the '14 and the annual property tax is something i can't stomach right now.
You have to pay property taxes on a vehicle? Here we only pay sales tax and pay to renew our registration annually or every two years. No emissions/inspections. Just walk in to the DMV (or online) and pay, walk out and apply your new sticker to the tag. I'm guessin your in the NE area. NJ by any chance?

I believe I read somewhere that in TX when you lease a car instead of paying sales tax on the residual value, you pay sales tax on the total price of the car. Though I may need to check that out for accuracy.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
You have to pay property taxes on a vehicle? Here we only pay sales tax and pay to renew our registration annually or every two years. No emissions/inspections. Just walk in to the DMV (or online) and pay, walk out and apply your new sticker to the tag. I'm guessin your in the NE area. NJ by any chance?

I believe I read somewhere that in TX when you lease a car instead of paying sales tax on the residual value, you pay sales tax on the total price of the car. Though I may need to check that out for accuracy.
No personal property tax in NJ. In NC the sales tax which is called highway use tax here is 3%. We then have to pay a annual personal property tax each year. Annual state inspections but no emission testing in the county I live in. Other counties it is required.
The following 2 users liked this post by nj2pa2nc:
Acura_Dude (06-20-2013), F23A4 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
No personal property tax in NJ. In NC the sales tax which is called highway use tax here is 3%. We then have to pay a annual personal property tax each year. Annual state inspections but no emission testing in the county I live in. Other counties it is required.
Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
test drove the car, pretty smooth ride. and looks pretty sleek as well.
Anyone have any luck getting any discounts on the 2014 mdx yet?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
New touch-based system in MDX 2014

One of the controversial changes in MDX 2014 would be the touch-based infotainment system. Some reviewers loved, while others hated.

I actually very loved Tesla Model S's totally touch-based interface (only test drove). I'm pretty positive on this direction although I absolutely agree with the new one can be more distract, which requires more "cognitive overhead".

A similar story can be found in Ford's MyFord Touch. MyFord Touch (with Microsoft ) is heavily under fire due to its poor reliability and interface. Ford finally returns to some buttons/knobs. This is a recent news.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/17/f...paign=Engadget

Hope this won't happen in MDX 2014... I test drove the new MDX. It's right it should take some time to get used to it.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
You are correct, but most dealers here have a slush fund that helps offset the cost of sales tax by lowering the percentage rate. The Texas sales tax rate on vehicles is 6.25%. When I leased my TL, the dealer was able to lower the effective tax rate to 1.5%.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by hkny79
Anyone have any luck getting any discounts on the 2014 mdx yet?

Hold the line Aziner's. Hold the line!

Lack of exhaust tips, lack of cupholder cover... The louder everyone complains the sooner we get incentives, then we'll storm the beach!

I like it. I would like it better if the TECH package included ventilated seats and the 360 surround view. Given the borderline insulting trade-in offer on our mint condition, no accident, dealer serviced, one owner MDX Tech w/ 36k and new Michelins - think we'll be waiting a bit.

Oh, and one more complaint, the second row seat slide is useless with 2 LATCH car seats strapped in.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

VA personal property tax (basically discounted tax rate up to through the first 20k of the value of vehicle, then full rate for every dollar after that. so for a $50k car....OUCH). Annual safety inspections. Emissions every two yrs for us lucky folks in population dense No.VA. Welcome to the commonwealth!

in CA, you pay through your reg fees (based on value of vehicle + sticker). emissions every two years....might have changed since i've left.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by printf
One of the controversial changes in MDX 2014 would be the touch-based infotainment system. Some reviewers loved, while others hated.

I actually very loved Tesla Model S's totally touch-based interface (only test drove). I'm pretty positive on this direction although I absolutely agree with the new one can be more distract, which requires more "cognitive overhead".

A similar story can be found in Ford's MyFord Touch. MyFord Touch (with Microsoft ) is heavily under fire due to its poor reliability and interface. Ford finally returns to some buttons/knobs. This is a recent news.

Hope this won't happen in MDX 2014... I test drove the new MDX. It's right it should take some time to get used to it.
the touch screen interface was in previous hondas. our 03 accord has the navi. everything still functions. to control the fan speed or vent settings you have to go through the touch screen. the defrost function had dedicated buttons. to change the radio channel you had to go through the touch screen. there are multiple ways to perform the more frequently used controls in the MDX and IIRC more like using an ipad/iphone with a swipe function. the touch screen in the TL can control multiple things but there were also dedicated buttons as well if you wanted to use them for "quick" access...i think.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by n-spring
You are correct, but most dealers here have a slush fund that helps offset the cost of sales tax by lowering the percentage rate. The Texas sales tax rate on vehicles is 6.25%. When I leased my TL, the dealer was able to lower the effective tax rate to 1.5%.
Well that works out.

VA personal property tax (basically discounted tax rate up to through the first 20k of the value of vehicle, then full rate for every dollar after that. so for a $50k car....OUCH). Annual safety inspections. Emissions every two yrs for us lucky folks in population dense No.VA. Welcome to the commonwealth!

in CA, you pay through your reg fees (based on value of vehicle + sticker). emissions every two years....might have changed since i've left.
WOAH!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^yeah, i had a little bit of sticker shock when i got my bill last fall for my current MDX... i was like, "holy crap!" my TL on the other hand...way more tolerable.

basically if you have a car valued at less than 3K, you pay nothing except for some processing fee i think. registering a car is relatively cheap.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM
David_Dude

Thanks for all the great info. I can pass this info a long to friends who're suppose to be stationed in VA sometime later this year if her husband gets Honor Guard (army).
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
I checked out the MDX a few hours ago when I ordered parts for my TL, NO Test Drive had to get home.

My local dealer had two(White Diamond Pearl and Graphite Luster Metallic) in service bay, prep for new owners. And a WDP AWD Tech model on lot for showcasing.

I opened it up, didnt take photos, but I noticed the passenge A-pillar lining had a major gap and so did the rear D pillar. For some reason it felt the ceiling was lower and seats to ground. Loved the leather all around the doors and tried the one touch seat sliding feature. Nice!!

After seeing it in person, seems a bit too long and station wagon like. I am not sure if I want to buy one in 3-4 years from now when Im done with school.

I did notice that on my local dealer's website there is a $1000 difference between sticker price and online price. on Sticker it was $48,560, but online its $47,460. Hmmm...

Oh here quick shots of the two being prepped for pickup by new owners.

Last edited by MandoTL; 06-20-2013 at 11:04 PM.
TSX69 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by printf

Problems with the new Infiniti Q50's infotainment system are delaying the introduction of that car. Production already started, but the sale date has been moved back.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys,

New to acurazine and Acura all together. I just picked up my 2014 MDX pearl white with advance and entertainment packages. I traded in my 2010 Q5 that was falling apart on me(another story). So far I absolutely love the MDX. There is definitely a learning curve to all the tech. Let me know if you guys have any questions and I can try and help clear things up for everyone.

-Gordon
The following 3 users liked this post by Mathewsg77:
Acura_Dude (06-21-2013), Elm5 (06-22-2013), TSX69 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mathewsg77
Hey guys,

New to acurazine and Acura all together. I just picked up my 2014 MDX pearl white with advance and entertainment packages. I traded in my 2010 Q5 that was falling apart on me(another story). So far I absolutely love the MDX. There is definitely a learning curve to all the tech. Let me know if you guys have any questions and I can try and help clear things up for everyone.

-Gordon
Welcome aboard Gordon! I think your our first confirmed owner!

I'm sure you'll get bombarded with questions, but i think what many are dying to know is what was your purchase experience like? Any room for negotiations with the dealer? Any wiggle room on price of accessories?

Welcome again and please post pics of your new suv when have a chance!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys,

-Gordon
Welcome to Acurazine! Congratulations on your new MDX. I'm also in the market for one but so far my dealer is not willing to negotiate even a small discount. I find it hard to take to buy it at MSRP. Just a few questions:

How good is the LKAS and the ACC with low-speed follow?
Have you noticed any difference between the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) between the Advance and Tech package (assuming you also test drove the Tech package)?
Have you had any accessories installed?

Thank you very much. I would be great if you can also post photos later on.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
Welcome aboard Gordon! I think your our first confirmed owner!

I'm sure you'll get bombarded with questions, but i think what many are dying to know is what was your purchase experience like? Any room for negotiations with the dealer? Any wiggle room on price of accessories?

Welcome again and please post pics of your new suv when have a chance!
Thanks!

The dealer was very firm on the pricing and like you guys I didn't want to pay MSRP. I tried to get it to come down even a little but to no avail. I did however get them to throw in some all weather mats for the first and second row and the cargo mat with living hinge. Not much at all but I was getting the car no matter what after test driving it so I consider it a win haha
The following 2 users liked this post by Mathewsg77:
OhioMDXer (06-21-2013), TiggaMan909 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by OhioMDXer
Welcome to Acurazine! Congratulations on your new MDX. I'm also in the market for one but so far my dealer is not willing to negotiate even a small discount. I find it hard to take to buy it at MSRP. Just a few questions:

How good is the LKAS and the ACC with low-speed follow?
Have you noticed any difference between the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) between the Advance and Tech package (assuming you also test drove the Tech package)?
Have you had any accessories installed?

Thank you very much. I would be great if you can also post photos later on.
Thanks again!

The LKAS was great on well kept highway sections. Which if you've ever been around Pittsburgh is not that much highway . The car does literally turn itself around large bends and quick turns but you have to have your hands on the wheel. If you don't it tells at you and will disengage the LKAS after a little.
The ACC is absolutely great. In low speeds it will get closer to the car in front of you than at highway speeds. Once you stop it will alert you on the dashboard screen and once the car in front of you moves all you need to do is tap the pedal to resume following at the speed you already have set. Works like a charm!

In regards to the NVM difference I was not able to test drive a tech package only. They had one but it had no gas in it. I can say that it is extremely quiet compared to my Q5.

Lastly I had the cross bars installed. I might be weird but I like to look of them and do use them a good bit.

Anything else just lemme know.
OhioMDXer (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I just saw the first MDX TV ad. It looks like James Spader has lost his job. The new advertising company has a different voice over artist. MDX Made for Mankind. I liked it a lot.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:03 PM
David_Dude

I need to look it up that commercial. I actually like the wheels that come on the Base trim more than the wheels that come on the Tech trim.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Haven't seen it on Youtube yet. It was in a video message to dealers on the internal network. It seemed similar in tone to the World of Red Bull commercial. Inspirational, transcending, large & grand images. (a hell of a lot better than the Luxury,Luxury RLX commercial)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Picked up my tech/ent this morning. PuMPED UP!! So far its everything i expected. A little ticked the dealer failed to install the front sport trim. Only slight disspointment is no LED brake, reverse or turn signals and for safety reasons Acura disengaged most functions on the mdi when ur moving, but u can use voice commands for those features. The few mintes i got to use it was pretty impressive. The three driving modes is nce as well. Wife n i really like the sport mode. Similar ride to the sport mode from the previous generation. Family road trip mext week too. Unfortunately will have around 600 miles on it by end of week.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLbullet:
Acura_Dude (06-21-2013), OhioMDXer (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLbullet
Picked up my tech/ent this morning. PuMPED UP!! So far its everything i expected. A little ticked the dealer failed to install the front sport trim. Only slight disspointment is no LED brake, reverse or turn signals and for safety reasons Acura disengaged most functions on the mdi when ur moving, but u can use voice commands for those features. The few mintes i got to use it was pretty impressive. The three driving modes is nce as well. Wife n i really like the sport mode. Similar ride to the sport mode from the previous generation. Family road trip mext week too. Unfortunately will have around 600 miles on it by end of week.
Did you also consider getting the Advance trim? If so, what made you decide to get the Tech instead? My wife and I are still undecided as to what to get between the 2 trims. If the Advance package is not bundled with the rear entertainment system, the decision is much easier.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey guys,

-Gordon
Same here ! Just got mine today too! Same color SH AWD advance ! Gave up the forest mist and got the white instead ! Amazing car ! This car is much better than the 2nd G! By far!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
To all that asked if the back up sensors only beeps on the advance trim, it beeps and it also shows on the screen and in the information display too.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM
David_Dude

Holy hell, I think I've counted 3 or 4 3G MDX owners and the car went on sale yesterday. This is good news.

Originally Posted by Colin
Haven't seen it on Youtube yet. It was in a video message to dealers on the internal network. It seemed similar in tone to the World of Red Bull commercial. Inspirational, transcending, large & grand images. (a hell of a lot better than the Luxury,Luxury RLX commercial)
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I was the 6th 14' being picked up today. They r flying out of showroom. I consider advanced as well. IMO the collision mitigation system, bigger tv, diff wheels ( wasnt too impressed by them in person) autostart, roofrails, upgrade leather wasnt worth the 6$k. My 11' was advanced and pretty much got it bc of the sport ride option. That option is avail on tech models for 14'. The electronics in the 14' is pretty impressive, but a lot to learn. The '14 tech doenst have the COllision mit system but something similar. I was tailgaitn someone and the MDI told me to brake. The CMS actually brakes if nec. Not talkin anyone out of it but if you were looking to save the $$ ur not gettn cheated by gettn tech package only. . Although if u spend 50k whats another 6??? Salesman said acura in works to hav system like onstar whre u can start n lock car w cell phone App. Looking forward to that.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

my dealer has ample inventory now (about 40). i think they sold the dark cherry. they still don't have a forest mist on the lot. they only have on ADV/ENT right now. can't tell from the site how many are tech with AWD or the FWD with tech/ent. i would guess more AWD with tech over the other.

i'll be interest to hear how our new owners experiences are esp those who have owned the 2G.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

In NC the personal property tax(vehicle tax) was due three months after registration renewal. As of this month it is now due the same time as registration renewal. My last bill, for 2013, my tsx was valued at $14,110 and I had to pay $90.58 which was Pender County 0.512000 per $100 value= $72.24, Pender EMS 0.065000=$9.17 and SLP Fire 0.065000=$9.17. How high are your rates. In the counties that require emissions it is due every year along with the safety inspections. If you have tint you are charged an additional $10.00 a year. They make sure it is legal.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 06-22-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 AM
David_Dude

So many fees, NJ2PA2NC...

TLTrigirl, the new MDXs are just arriving. I have 2 dealers within range and hr away. The closest only as 2 according to their website and some
'13s leftover. The other one STILL has 3 '12s sittin on the lot. All their 2013s are gone.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I stopped by my local dealer this morning while I was running errands. They had three on the lot. There was already one customer there that looked like they were going to trade in a TL for it. The new MDX is very nice. I like it a lot, even if I'm not in the market for it. I think Acura has another SUV hit on their hands.

In striking contrast to the RLX. They had 6 RLX's, three of them parked off in a far part of the lot. I really hope Acura can find the right formula for the TLX. Their sedans are adequate, but not hitting it out of the park. There is no excitement about them, no compelling reason to buy one. When you see the MDX it gets your attention, nice car.
Acura_Dude (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
14 changes

Does anyone know if the 14 Advance has front passenger side lumbar support.

Might consider a trade of my 12 advance res, if the real world mileage is better than the 15 mpg we get now around town.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kssod
Does anyone know if the 14 Advance has front passenger side lumbar support.

Might consider a trade of my 12 advance res, if the real world mileage is better than the 15 mpg we get now around town.
Yes, the 2014 MDX Advance trim has front passenger seat with lumbar support. It's one of the reasons why we probably will get the Advance trim even if we don't need the rear entertainment system bundled with it.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Acura Parts Guy

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't tell you how nice it is to see how excited our customers have been to see the MDX here in Tampa. I'll find out from sales how many they've actually sold but I haven't seen this many people walking around our lot in a long time.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:36 PM
David_Dude

I just noticed something. The RDX and MDX gets pretty much identical MPGs. FWD is 20/28 (city/hwy) for both models. AWD models are 19/27 (RDX) and 18/27 (MDX). They also have the same size engines (3.5L V6) and I've noticed the MDX is slightly more powerful. Is this the same Earth Dreams motor used in the RDX that's also used in the MDX; just a slightly more powerful in this application?I'm pretty sure I read that the MDX borrowed its motor (Earth Dreams) from the RLX. Can anyone help me out on this one?

Either way, the RDX and MDX siblings are selling very well.

EDIT: Gas tank capacities are also different. 16gals (RDX) and 19.5gals (MDX)

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 06-22-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I just noticed something. The RDX and MDX gets pretty much identical MPGs. FWD is 20/28 (city/hwy) for both models. AWD models are 19/27 (RDX) and 18/27 (MDX). They also have the same size engines (3.5L V6) and I've noticed the MDX is slightly more powerful. Is this the same Earth Dreams motor used in the RDX that's also used in the MDX; just a slightly more powerful in this application?I'm pretty sure I read that the MDX borrowed its motor (Earth Dreams) from the RLX. Can anyone help me out on this one?

Either way, the RDX and MDX siblings are selling very well.

EDIT: Gas tank capacities are also different. 16gals (RDX) and 19.5gals (MDX)
The MDX motor has Direct Injection like the RLX making this it's closest cousin. The RDX motor is port fuel injected making it closer to (guessing here) the Odyssey with cylinder deactivation.

Quick Reply: 2014 MDX is here!