A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed something, that I can hear the pinging ,when is hot outside and whenever is below 75 I can not hear it. For example on my way going home from work today 3.00pm 90 degrees outside ,the car was pinging a lot and just now 10.30 pm 73 degrees outside I can not make it pings. I live in Florida and it is usually hot.
Guys try to make the car pings ,before the car reach normal operational temperature ,because I can not make it. And just after a while driving the car I start hearing it!
How many of you having the problem live in Florida? Why most of the people in Australia having this problem? Over there might be even hotter then Florida.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Called Acura Client Services today for the first time. The number is (800) 382-2238.

Very nice people. Have your VIN # ready right away and just tell them of the problem. I was surprised that I didn't get a "we've never heard of this" or "this is normal" type of response. They were helpful enough to say that they have heard of this problem happening in Australia, so at least they know it may be possible that this is affecting American Acura vehicles too. So it is probably a really prudent time to call them and report this, hopefully others reading this that hear this pinging can do the same as I did today. Took all of 2 minutes.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced

ctwickmanCalled Acura Client Services today for the first time. The number is (800) 382-2238.
I have called them a few times over the last few months on this issue. Did provide any other details? If a fix is in the works? Or how they will update you on the issue?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ctwickman
Called Acura Client Services today for the first time. The number is (800) 382-2238.

Very nice people. Have your VIN # ready right away and just tell them of the problem. I was surprised that I didn't get a "we've never heard of this" or "this is normal" type of response. They were helpful enough to say that they have heard of this problem happening in Australia, so at least they know it may be possible that this is affecting American Acura vehicles too. So it is probably a really prudent time to call them and report this, hopefully others reading this that hear this pinging can do the same as I did today. Took all of 2 minutes.
I just now, called and reported that issue. The woman said, if there is a recall or update, I would be notified by mail. So Honda/Acura is still playing dumb.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Anyone think if we all sent professional e-mail letters to Honda brass that might help voice our concerns and get things moving?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 AM
9th Gear

New 2009 TSX

I have not noticed any pinging yet...I just got my new TSX last week though.

Do we think it is possibly limited to certain build dates, certain factories, etc... ??

I will keep an eye out for it, BTW I am still running the 87 octane (first tank of gas) that the Acura dealer put in the car.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced

[quote=SharkyZiff;10941867]I have not noticed any pinging yet...I just got my new TSX last week though.

Do we think it is possibly limited to certain build dates, certain factories, etc... ??
quote]

Based on the age of the thread, it seems to span across build dates. What is your build date? All the Honda Euros and TSXs come from the same plant in Japan.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SharkyZiff

I will keep an eye out for it, BTW I am still running the 87 octane (first tank of gas) that the Acura dealer put in the car.

Thanks!
It's quite possible that your car incorporated a running change being made on the line.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

I send Acura Client Services a mail (not a e-mail) containing :
1.mine complain and description of the problem.
2.print out of the Australian magazine article for the coming fix over there.
I called them ,but not lucky to get a positive answer "We know for the problem"!
I took the car to the dealer!
I believe, we all should do that!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

i have had this issue since the second tank of fuel and one time i had accidently put regualr in it and damm straight to the autozone i went for some octane booster (which fixed the issue)
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
9th Gear

[quote=TSXding;10941900]
Originally Posted by SharkyZiff

quote]

Based on the age of the thread, it seems to span across build dates. What is your build date? All the Honda Euros and TSXs come from the same plant in Japan.
My TSX was built in October of 2008...

I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and my ears open...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lusenuts
i have had this issue since the second tank of fuel and one time i had accidently put regualr in it and damm straight to the autozone i went for some octane booster (which fixed the issue)
This might be a separate issue then.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by panta_
I send Acura Client Services a mail (not a e-mail) containing :
1.mine complain and description of the problem.
2.print out of the Australian magazine article for the coming fix over there.
I called them ,but not lucky to get a positive answer "We know for the problem"!
I took the car to the dealer!
I believe, we all should do that!

I did the same. Called ACS, but not sure how issues are prioritized through the chain. I think it would be helpful for some of us to write professional e-mails to Honda execs stating our issue and concern. This way we know it is going to the guys who call the shots. But we need to keep the letters professional, focus on the facts, concerns and disatifactions. Thoughts?

Jeff Conrad- VP of Acura at jeff_conrad@ahm.honda.com
Steve Center- VP of Acura at steven_center@ahm.honda.com
Koichi Knodo- CEO of Honda America at koichi_kondo@ahm.honda.com
Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

I have this issue as well; I have had my car to the dealer four times and each time they call it a "normal noise." I've even ridden with techs. I have considered taking it to a non-Acura mechanic to have it checked out, but would rather not spend the money. There is a great website called www.consumerist.com, which I think we should get involved.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSXding
I did the same. Called ACS, but not sure how issues are prioritized through the chain. I think it would be helpful for some of us to write professional e-mails to Honda execs stating our issue and concern. This way we know it is going to the guys who call the shots. But we need to keep the letters professional, focus on the facts, concerns and disatifactions. Thoughts?

Jeff Conrad- VP of Acura at jeff_conrad@ahm.honda.com
Steve Center- VP of Acura at steven_center@ahm.honda.com
Koichi Knodo- CEO of Honda America at koichi_kondo@ahm.honda.com
I send an e-mail that describes my concerns and questions + link to the Australian magazine article today at 2 pm. to those e-mail addresses. I was surprised that I receive a phone call at 5.30 pm from Acura corporate and a nice lady told me that will research the problem and will get back to me ASAP. Plus she left her contact details! I believe that this is a good moment and everybody need to make a noise for that issue! I'll keep you posted on that! Send mails and e-mail to Acura!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Advanced

I also got a follow call after doing the same. This method seems to get to the write people. Anyone else trying?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlstsx09
I have this issue as well; I have had my car to the dealer four times and each time they call it a "normal noise." I've even ridden with techs. I have considered taking it to a non-Acura mechanic to have it checked out, but would rather not spend the money. There is a great website called www.consumerist.com, which I think we should get involved.
I think you should try sending an e-mail citing the issue, number of times its been into the shop, and your concerns to the Honda exec e-mails. See what happens and then move on to the consumerist as the last action
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

I also got a follow call after doing the same. This method seems to get to the write people. Anyone else trying?
I ask straight questions on the top of everything and I've been told, I'll receive a answer of those!
Ask questions and send e-mails and mail. That seems to work and I hope this is not just a following phone call, only because ,they have to respond your e-mail!
my questions:
1.Do you have any information about the problem and are you going to inform the folks in USA?
d2.Is there a fix coming in June?
3.How come that Honda Australia says that there is really problem and over there technicians from Japan are working on it and eventually will find the fix? And here nobody is saying anything?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Is there anyone filed a complain about this issue with BBB Auto Line? Is there any result?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced

I send an e-mail that describes my concerns and questions + link to the Australian magazine article today at 2 pm. to those e-mail addresses. I was surprised that I receive a phone call at 5.30 pm from Acura corporate and a nice lady told me that will research the problem and will get back to me ASAP. Plus she left her contact details! I believe that this is a good moment and everybody need to make a noise for that issue! I'll keep you posted on that! Send mails and e-mail to Acura!

Panta, did Acura call you back yet with answers to your questions?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Jlstsx09, did you report this issue to ACS as well or just the dealer?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

Panta, did Acura call you back yet with answers to your questions?
Not yet! But I'm going to call the lady in one or two weeks if she does not call me.
How about you? Anybody called you?
We have to get everybody complaining about it, otherwise they will keep us uninformed! I hope there is going to be a fix in June or July according to tha Australian magazine.
Anybody cheking the forums over there?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Not yet! But I'm going to call the lady in one or two weeks if she does not call me.
How about you? Anybody called you?
We have to get everybody complaining about it, otherwise they will keep us uninformed! I hope there is going to be a fix in June or July according to tha Australian magazine.
Anybody cheking the forums over there?

Nothing yet either. I say we both call back towards the end of this week. That should be enough time to give them.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Someone posted the email addresses of some of the execs at Acura/Honda so I emailed them.

I recevied a call today from Ingrid, she's the regional rep (I live in Philadelphia).

Basically she said that Acura is aware of the issue and currently has their engineers invesitgating the issue.

Not sure about anyone else, but this is reassuring to me that at least they are acknowledging the issue and having their poeple work on it.

Still, I'd suggest everyone contact ACS and let their voice be heard.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced

[quote=stones3131;10965018]Someone posted the email addresses of some of the execs at Acura/Honda so I emailed them.

I recevied a call today from Ingrid, she's the regional rep (I live in Philadelphia).

Basically she said that Acura is aware of the issue and currently has their engineers invesitgating the issue.

quote]

Did She mention anything about timing or if the fix from OZ was being deployed to the US as well?

I think the e-mail approach is the best method thus far, its getting up the exec chain and also is forcing ACS to calls us back vs just logging our calls. Plus, its putting our concerns in writing, which can only help down the road if something with the car goes wrong. More people with this issue need to e-mail their concerns.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Angry My story

Hi all. I've been reading these threads for several months now about the TSX pinging and thought I'd share my story. I got my car almost a year ago and noticed the pinging shortly afterwards. I thought it was a bumper and thought it would go away but I got worried and I took it to my dealer. During my first visit, the tech heard it with me and said to change gas. I tried it but it didn't work (as you well know). I went back a second and third time at which point the dealer was sick of seeing me and told me to "take it up with Acura Client Services." They refused to do anything or deal with my complaint, just the usual runaround, e.g. "Thank you for your information for future product improvement, "etc., so I did file a complaint with BBB Auto Line to get my money back or a different car or at least have this issue addressed because this is a defect Acura refuses to fix. I eventually lost my case in arbitration because the arbitrator said he couldn't hear the noise when he drove it or some other issue with the gas I use! WHAT A NIGHTMARE. I am not encouraging anyone here to do what I did. Short, The Acura people don't give a damn about us. My only comfort is that I'm going to trade this piece of crap for a different car this summer and the Acura/Honda assholes will never get my hard-earned money again! Best of luck ... Maybe they'll fix the pinging although I do not believe it.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
You lost your claim in arbitration when attempting to invoke a claim under the lemon law?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
You lost your claim in arbitration when attempting to invoke a claim under the lemon law?
Yeah, there's something a bit fishy with this guy's story. It would be nice to hear the other side of the story.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Nothing yet either. I say we both call back towards the end of this week. That should be enough time to give them.
I'll call Friday 6/5 in the morning! I want some information and believe that this issue can be fixed! Hopefully we can get this resolved, but if not I'll call BB Line and file a case.
We have to get more people file a complains and call ACS and send emails! Lets make more noise.
Friday I'm calling this lady Brigette and ACS as well!!! I'm looking in the Australians forum as well if I can find more info!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

[quote=TSXding;10965385]
Originally Posted by stones3131
Someone posted the email addresses of some of the execs at Acura/Honda so I emailed them.

quote]

Did She mention anything about timing or if the fix from OZ was being deployed to the US as well?

I think the e-mail approach is the best method thus far, its getting up the exec chain and also is forcing ACS to calls us back vs just logging our calls. Plus, its putting our concerns in writing, which can only help down the road if something with the car goes wrong. More people with this issue need to e-mail their concerns.
TSXding 1 8003822238 i guess ACS phone number ext. 115185 and ask for Brigette, that is the lady that called me! It is good that we bother same person! If I have to I'll call them every week and I'll tell her that I want to meet somebody in Florida, if there is no information. And will go with my car and show the problem!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced

I would not use the BBB program as its like you represent yourself. I would suggest you use a lemon law firm in your state, many have no fee on the consumer side.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

I would not use the BBB program as its like you represent yourself. I would suggest you use a lemon law firm in your state, many have no fee on the consumer side.
TSXding I really like the car and have no problems with it besides this one.
1.Do you (everyone) think ,that this issue would make you lemon law it?
2What do you intent to do if there is no information and no fix lets say in the next tree months?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Upon looking at it further, you could use the BBB program to file a complaint as the outcome is non-binding on the consumer side, only the Manufac side . So if you did lose, you would still have appeal options.

Last edited by TSXding; 06-03-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Engine Ping

I purchased the TSX in Feb of 09. Shortly then after heard a rattle/pinking from the engine area. When I returned to the dealership they told me it was bad gas and suggested to use Mobil premium. ( I work for a major Oil Company,and know my gasoline. I have been using 92/92 octane.) But I went along with there suggestion just to help eliminate any possibilities. After three tank full of Exxon/Mobil premium 93 octane the noise continue. I again returned to the dealer. They then suspected the exhaust piping that connected to the manifold and replaced the piping and gasket. The noise continued. I contacted the Acura customer service center. They stated that they would work with the dealer ship to help resolve this issue. According to Acura, (you'll enjoy this) "no one else has complained about the noise." After many phone calls back and forth I was told that the noise is normal for this vehicle. They had me drive 2 loaner cars. One made the noise the other did not. I took the car to my mechanic who is a former Honda certified mechanic. He believes the noise could be coming from the torque converter. Honda had problems in the past with a rattle coming from the torque converter.
Acura states there was no fix for the rattle.
I suggest you contact Acura customer service (800) 382-2238 to log your problem. Hopefully if enough customers file acomplaint, Acura will investigate.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Oilcoguy, I've seen your post in another Honda forum. I would recommend that you send a letter to the Honda e-mails in this thread, citing your story and that ACS has done nothing for you. Posters seem to be getting more attention by writing to those parties. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A noise from the "torque converter" makes a lot of sense. I too have switched gas multiple times and have used even off market octane boosters with absolutely no resolution of the noise. Maybe it is NOT even pinging. Either way it is a rattle that comes from the front/engine area between 2000-2500rpms, EVERY time.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

I received a call from that lady, who called me before and she explained me that Acura is aware of the issue and they are working on it, but they can not say anything about a fix coming and when it is going to be eventually! So far nothing particular!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cljtsx
My only comfort is that I'm going to trade this piece of crap for a different car this summer and the Acura/Honda assholes will never get my hard-earned money again! Best of luck ... Maybe they'll fix the pinging although I do not believe it.
AAAAAAAAman!!i am looking for a sti for the all wheel drive or maybe a challanger srt8 modle once the dealer says the car is worth what i owe or close to then kickin the car in the ass or towing it to the dealer strapped to my ford super duty with chain
Old 06-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Cruisin'

I called Acura Client Services yesterday; I spoke with two agents, and then a third called me back. He said (of course) this is a "characteristic" of the car. I will never buy an Acura again, nor will I recommend the Acura brand to anyone. I had an '04 Mazda3 S before this car and regret getting rid of that car almost every day. '04 was the first year for the Mazda3 and I never had any major problems. With this car I've had more rattles, creaks, and trouble with the dealer than I care for.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced

I called Acura Client Services yesterday; I spoke with two agents, and then a third called me back. He said (of course) this is a "characteristic" of the car. I will never buy an Acura again, nor will I recommend the Acura brand to anyone. I had an '04 Mazda3 S before this car and regret getting rid of that car almost every day. '04 was the first year for the Mazda3 and I never had any major problems. With this car I've had more rattles, creaks, and trouble with the dealer than I care for.

Sounds like there is some miscommuncation within ACS, some referring to an investigation, while you got the old "normal characteristic" excuse.

Last edited by TSXding; 06-05-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*