A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just received a call from my dealer, the car is booked in for a software update next Monday. I will let you know the result after several days to see if it has rectified the problem.

Please note this has been achieved without contacting Honda Australia, without a technician inspecting or test driving the car. Instead it has resulted from verbal discussions only.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buddah51au
I have just received a call from my dealer, the car is booked in for a software update next Monday. I will let you know the result after several days to see if it has rectified the problem.

Please note this has been achieved without contacting Honda Australia, without a technician inspecting or test driving the car. Instead it has resulted from verbal discussions only.
Cool. Keep us updated.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
If this is the fix, I'm guessing it will probably be a running service change, like when you go in for an oil change, they'd reflash is as a service campaign, not a full blown recall.

Either way, hopefully this rectifies everyone's issues.

I can't help but think about the Nissan QR25DE's that annihilated their pre-cats and sucked the particles into the engine.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

I have had the software update carried out and have since done over 500km of town, highway with about 200km of hilly driving as well. To date there is no sign of the pinging problem anymore, lets hope it stays that way.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by buddah51au
I have had the software update carried out and have since done over 500km of town, highway with about 200km of hilly driving as well. To date there is no sign of the pinging problem anymore, lets hope it stays that way.

Very good news for you. Now what do we need to do to get the same release in the States? Its very interesting that OZ seems to be getting all the attention with this matter.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Intermediate

I do feel for you guys as the USA is a much bigger market for Honda / Acura than Australia is. but in saying that it has been a frustrating wait.

Surely the Software Update / knock sensor replacement they are doing here on the Euro would be applicable to your TSX as I believe they use exactly the same K24Z3 engine.

By the way, for those interested the software update has no effect on economy. After the 460km road trip i did the trip computer was reading 6.1L/100km which I am more than happy with. It is indicating over 1100km will be possible out of this tank. As I will be repeating the same trip tomorrow & if i am feeling brave enough i will try to pass the magic 1000km before refilling.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Instructor

i have an AT tech pkg, and I can't for the life of me reproduce this pinging noise. I tried all day yesterday to listen for it...no dice. Car has about 3500 miles on it.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
then you should be happy :o) Mine pings rather loud at idle.. 6mt besides that I have a loud chirp at 6800 + rpms when i shift
Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 PM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Contacted ACS for the first time today about the pinging. Of course the rep I spoke with said they were aware of the issue and there could be a fix coming in approx 30 days, but not to quote her on that. Hope its true and she wasn't just trying to make me happy.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSXtravis
Contacted ACS for the first time today about the pinging. Of course the rep I spoke with said they were aware of the issue and there could be a fix coming in approx 30 days, but not to quote her on that. Hope its true and she wasn't just trying to make me happy.

Welcome to the club, TSXtravis. Many of us have also sent a e-mail letter to some Acura Mgt denoting our issue and our concerns for long-term reliability and safety. It might not be a bad idea to do the same. At least you will have your correspondance in writing if an issue occurs down the road.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 AM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! I traded my 06 TSX for the 09 back in February. Happy with it except for that annoying pinging.

I did send an email to the Acura mgmt email address that was previously posted in this thread. The next day I received a call from a rep.

If I had to describe the sound..... it sounds like a car with either a high performance engine or a car with a V8 going up a steep encline like a mountain with cheap grade gas. I'm originally from the mountain area of NC and that noise was common when you had cheap grade gas. But I know thats not the case because I'm in Orlando and always use 93 octane.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Agreed, the e-mails seem to work the best in getting a reply. Just hope that the rumor of a proposed fix in 30-days or so is true!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Cruisin'

Got a call today...

I got a call today from my "rep" at Acura Corporate. He basicallly called to say Acura is now looking into the issue since a lot of people with the 09 TSX seem to be experiencing the issue. It took them long enough! All he asked was how far I am from the dealer...that's it! Not sure why he needed to know that, but my fingers are crossed for some kind of resolution.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jlstsx09
I got a call today from my "rep" all he asked was how far I am from the dealer...that's it! Not sure why he needed to know that, but my fingers are crossed for some kind of resolution.
They needed a North American guinea pig, lol.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlstsx09
I got a call today from my "rep" at Acura Corporate. He basicallly called to say Acura is now looking into the issue since a lot of people with the 09 TSX seem to be experiencing the issue. It took them long enough! All he asked was how far I am from the dealer...that's it! Not sure why he needed to know that, but my fingers are crossed for some kind of resolution.

jlstsx09, how long ago did you call ACS on this issue?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
As a bystander, there appears to be progress ... months ago anyone calling Acura got the "problem? what problem? we don't know of any problem?" litany. Good show everyone, you've awakened the sleeping giant....
Old 08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

Maybe a fix in the works

Got a call from Ingrid at ACS. A while ago I sent a letter to the upper management (someone posted their emails previously). She called a day later and said they were aware. Fast forward about 3 months and today she called me again.

She asked what dealership I'd want to go to when the fix is ready. I told her which one (the one where I made the purchase). She said they wanted each dealership to know how many cars they would have to plan on fixing.

I asked her if the fix is ready and how long until we'll get a call. She said she didn't have any more info at this time other than based on which dealership we want to go to get the problem fixed, that's the dealership that will be contacting us when the fix is available.

Sorry if this is useless info for everyone, but I thought I'd pass the word along.

Based on this phone call it makes me think there is something in the works and it'll happen soon, especially if they wanna know what dealership we want to go to.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Intermediate

I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that the software upgrade has eliminated the pinging problem ( at least with my vehicle).
I have now traveled in excess of 1500 kilometers since the upgrade was carried out and have not heard the pinging sound on 1 occasion. That being said, I have been told that I will also be receiving an upgraded knock sensor when 1 becomes available.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 AM

Just out of curiousity, does the car feel any different with the correction?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by stones3131
Got a call from Ingrid at ACS. A while ago I sent a letter to the upper management (someone posted their emails previously). She called a day later and said they were aware. Fast forward about 3 months and today she called me again.

She asked what dealership I'd want to go to when the fix is ready. I told her which one (the one where I made the purchase). She said they wanted each dealership to know how many cars they would have to plan on fixing.

I asked her if the fix is ready and how long until we'll get a call. She said she didn't have any more info at this time other than based on which dealership we want to go to get the problem fixed, that's the dealership that will be contacting us when the fix is available.

Sorry if this is useless info for everyone, but I thought I'd pass the word along.

Based on this phone call it makes me think there is something in the works and it'll happen soon, especially if they wanna know what dealership we want to go to.
Was the e-mail that you sent to one of these addresses:

Jeff Conrad- VP of Acura at jeff_conrad@ahm.honda.com
Steve Center- VP of Acura at steven_center@ahm.honda.com
Koichi Knodo- CEO of Honda America at koichi_kondo@ahm.honda.com

I just bought my TSX in July and have noticed the problem, so want to make sure I am all ready for the fix when it's available. Just seems like a big deal to e-mail a VP, although I'm sure they aren't the ones reading them...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pianoengineer
Was the e-mail that you sent to one of these addresses:

Jeff Conrad- VP of Acura at jeff_conrad@ahm.honda.com
Steve Center- VP of Acura at steven_center@ahm.honda.com
Koichi Knodo- CEO of Honda America at koichi_kondo@ahm.honda.com

I just bought my TSX in July and have noticed the problem, so want to make sure I am all ready for the fix when it's available. Just seems like a big deal to e-mail a VP, although I'm sure they aren't the ones reading them...

yep, those are the people i emailed and i got a call the very next day.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Instructor

son of a b*tch, i may have heard this pinging today. ignorance was bliss
Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pianoengineer

Just seems like a big deal to e-mail a VP, although I'm sure they aren't the ones reading them...
When we 1st started dealing with ACS, we kept getting that the noise was normal and not an issue. It wasn't until we started sending our concerns to management that things changed.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

Just got a call from Acura Corporate...they are now "closing the case out." I "may or may not be contacted in the next month or two by my dealer asking to bring the car to the dealership." When I asked if Acura is aware of any problems, I was told, "Acura is not saying anything at this time." Unbelievable! I buy a $30,000 car and this is the kind of service I receive? Everyone I know knows my story and they have all said that they will never buy an Acura because of this. Amazing what a little bad word-of-mouth press can do! I think we should all make it our mission to post on every Acura review board about this problem so that Acura loses potential business. Maybe then they will start addressing the issue with a level of service to be expected from an "upscale" car company.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Advanced

I noticed mine about 3 weeks ago, but thought it might have been because the moron at the gas station put in regular after I said premium. Took my sister's out for a drive last night. Sure enough, she has it too. I have the MT, she has the AT. Its actually more annoying than anything. If there is no fix for this within the next for months, I'm gonna have to part ways with my car. This is not what I expecting from the "Acura" name.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
10th Gear

Well, I sent an e-mail to Jeff Conrad regarding the issue. Got a call just now from someone today. He acknowledged that they're working on a 'fix' (although he would only call it a nuisance as opposed to an actual problem since they've decided it's not causing any damage to anything).

I've yet to have it diagnosed/confirmed with a dealership, so he asked me to take it in. He said he works with the dealership closest to me, so he'd contact the service manager and let them know I'd be following up with them.

I'm a bit nervous I'll take it in and they won't hear anything. I'd say I hear it about 50% of the time I put it in heavy acceleration (freeway on-ramps, up hills, etc). Anyone know what they do to confirm it, or how long it takes?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Are these the same people that us Canucks can email? Is a 'name' other then software update that they are calling this? Is just a software update or are they replacing knock sensors?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Just out of curiousity, does the car feel any different with the correction?

There is absolutely no difference to the drive ability or the economy of the car. Within 60 hours of the Software update I traveled about 1200km, 972km of that was on 1 tank of fuel @ 6.47L/100km, which I find amazing.

I have now traveled in excess of 1700km since the update & I have to say i think the problem has been eliminated. This is without the updated knock sensor which i will receive as soon as my dealer gets a supply.

I can't understand why the same updates can't be carried out as of today on your TSX's, after all the Euro is the same car & I am certain more TSX's are sold in USA than Euro's are sold in Australia, but I am not complaining that we got the fix first.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lou01
Are these the same people that us Canucks can email? Is a 'name' other then software update that they are calling this? Is just a software update or are they replacing knock sensors?
Lou, I would start with them yes. I think they all roll up to Honda North America.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

It is a Software update & replacement of Knock Sensor. Apparently there is a shortage of the new knock sensor's here at the present time, so initially they are just doing the Software update. Knock Sensor will be replaced when available. In my case the software update alone has solved the problem, so i am not concerned about when the knock sensor will be available.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I just emailed all of the above reps. Lets hope we can get some results up here as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

TSX with knock issue

Hi,
I am just getting my feet wet with this. I have the EXACT ISSUE that you all are describing. Bought TSX end of June 2009. At about 1500 miles the sound started. I tried all different gas stations thinking I was getting bad premium gas. MI has 93 octane. Couldn't get the sound to go away. Took car to dealer today. They confirmed the sound said that the thought they should try replacing the drive belt pulley. I was shocked. I had them order the parts but got home and started reading. Found this forum. It is exactly the same issue. Already called Acura and filed a complaint. I have a case #. They admitted they knew of the issue. I emailed all three VPs tonight. My question is: If the knock sensor is not available yet, how can I just get the software upgrade you describe? What do I tell the dealership to order because they clearly want to order a pulley? What is the name of the software?

I could KICK MYSELF as I had a choice between saving a $1000 and getting the 2009 or buying a 2010 for $1000 more. I decided to save the $1000 and now I am thinking if I had gotten the 2010 I wouldn't be in this horrible situation. I had a 2004 Accord EXL prior and that car was the BEST. I thought I was getting an even better car than that when I got the Acura. Sigh.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Just sent my email to Jeff (Honda VP). This is my first car purchase. Overall, I've been happy with this car. But, this quality issue and Acura's lack of response will be a significant factor in the purchase of my next car.

I've had this car for a year and had to endure this "characteristic" the entire time. Nothing like driving next to a new Infiniti coupe and comparing engine "characteristics"! Who knows...maybe one day Infiniti will fine tune their cars to ping too! I guess you get what you pay for. Oh wait...I paid over 30K! My friend has a 16yr old Saturn and guess what? No pinging! Windows don't work and the battery constantly dies...but sure as hell no pinging!

PS: In my email to Jeff, I provided a link to this year-old thread.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Racer

yeah i hate driving next too infinitis i roll my windows up lol
Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 PM
10th Gear

So far, since I sent an e-mail on Wednesday Acura has been really great. I was contacted by corporate the next day, who then followed up with my local Acura. The service manager from the local dealership just called and told me to call him personally when I'm ready to bring it in. It will be a few weeks before I'm able to, but I'll update when I do...
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Tuesday 08/18/2009 I received a call from a local rep. ,who just ask me for my dealership, but nothing else. I hope there is a fix on the way and that will be soon!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone know if the 2010 TSX will require reprogramming of the ECU software, and a revised knock sensor? I am considering a new one, but unsure. It would be nice if the fixes in the US were widespread before entering this venture.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Intermediate

Just got a call from the corporate office. I supposedly will be hearing from a regional manager type on Monday to further my "case". The quick response seems to be inline with others' experiences here. A good sign. Just hope it's not a "look busy" tactic.

My hopes are high! Supposed to rain here to tomorrow. Guess I'll be pinging in the rain...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM
10th Gear

I finally decide to take the car to my local Acura Service dept. for the dreaded pinging problem and to my chagrin they did nothing for it. They acknowledged the noise but said it was due to my choice of gas. I only use Chevron premium, the technician recommended Shell. I called the Acura customer service number and explained to them my problem and they were happy to take down my concern but they said they were unaware of the problem. Oh well, I guess I will have to email the Honda/Acura higher ups. I hope for better results.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced

Does this pinging cause any damage to the engine or is it only an annoying noise?

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*