A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

hey guys sorry for this. I own a 09 tsx as well. I'm not too sure what the pinging noise sounds like. HOWEVER I do notice NOW that when I start my car, it is awfully loud and I can hear the belt in the engine spinning. Also when I rev it, its not a smooth transition anymore, its loud and sounds like an old beat up 4 cylinder engine. It was once smooth and quiet, but now semi-smoothe and loud while on the roads. On freeways, it sounds really really noisy. Is that part of the problem? I'm kind of new to cars and want to learn about this stuff. But that's just what I noticed since my purchase.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what that problem is, but pinging can sorta be described as what it would sound like if you lighty shook a tin can with some small BB's in it.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Donut0305
I am working on my New York Lemon Law about the knocking/pinging noise around 2000 to 4000 rpm when accelerating. The dealership give me a answer is "AT THIS POINT IN TIME THERE IS NO REPAIR FOR IT, CONSIDERED NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS VEHICLE. IF AT A FUTURE DATE ACURA COMES OUT WITH A CORRECTION FOR THIS, DEALER WILL BEABLE TO REAPAIR". I think there is a defect in my TSX engine or torque converter and Acura are refusing to fix my defect of the engine or torque converter.
All i can say is WOW.....I cant believe Acura is not taking this to serious.

Dont they realise that Pinging/Engine knocking is usually the result of the fuel exploding in the combustion chamber rather than burning. If this continues for a long period of time the next problem will be the engine burning oil because of broken piston rings and or piston lands (which usually occurs from this problem over time).....Then they will have a very serious problem on their hands.

If they do fix this problem in the future i would make sure and keep the repair documents in case down the road any of you get the usual result of the initial symptom (ie pinging).
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by march30th1988
hey guys sorry for this. I own a 09 tsx as well. I'm not too sure what the pinging noise sounds like. HOWEVER I do notice NOW that when I start my car, it is awfully loud and I can hear the belt in the engine spinning. ... I'm kind of new to cars and want to learn about this stuff. But that's just what I noticed since my purchase.
Go to dealer to get belts inspected/adjusted, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

As for the sound/noise, have dealer service manager go out for a highway drive with you and listen for him/herself.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by cp3117
All i can say is WOW.....I cant believe Acura is not taking this to serious.

Dont they realise that Pinging/Engine knocking is usually the result of the fuel exploding in the combustion chamber rather than burning. If this continues for a long period of time the next problem will be the engine burning oil because of broken piston rings and or piston lands (which usually occurs from this problem over time).....Then they will have a very serious problem on their hands.

If they do fix this problem in the future i would make sure and keep the repair documents in case down the road any of you get the usual result of the initial symptom (ie pinging).
How come it is only on the auto?
(it is not pinging....)
Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bumped into this thread while killing some time at work and thought I would throw my observations into the mix. I have an '04 6mt and I hear the noise occasionally at WOT upwards of 5k RPMs. This is usually when I'm merging onto a highway on an uphill ramp. I've pulled plugs and poked around and have seen absolutely no indication of predetonation at all.

The conclusion that I've come to (which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread) is that it's noise from the cam chain. My suspicion is that the tensioner is not keeping up when the cam timing adjusts to it's highest overlap position. There are a number of mentions of the tensioner failing on high mileage vehicles so I'm thinking I might just go ahead and replace mine this summer.

Thoughts?

As a side note, I'm going to try and fashion some sort of recording device that can be affixed to various engine parts so as to try and pin point the noise since I can't get under the hood while flooring it on the highway. This won't happen until the summer though. Working on cars in the winter blows.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:13 PM

I just read in the afterword for THE TIPPING POINT by Malcolm Gladwell of Lexus' first recall. They went above and beyond in treating their customers with kid gloves, partly because they realized that their early customers were all "mavens," or car enthusiasts who would "spread the word" about their corporate treatment of owners. They called each owner personally. They went out of their way to make the recall a smooth transaction, even sending mechanics to owners' homes if they were more than 50 (?) miles away from a dealership.

Later, one auto mag called itafter the fact, "the best auto recall, ever."

What a sad contrast with how Acura is treating their customers (see the 1GEN discussions of air conditioning failures, the odometer issue, etc). Makes me almost wish I'd bought the 70,000 mile Lexus IS250 instead of the 35,000 mile TSX that I did for $5,000 more. I'm happy with my TSX, but I'm discouraged by some of what I hear of dealerships and the corporation. For one, I asked for an Acura extended care warranty, got a brochure labeled "Acura Extended Warranty," but found 6 months later that I had the dealership group's warranty instead, for about the same price. That Acura even lets them do this is appalling. I probably won't buy another Acura.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think it's a fuel issue as so many people have tried filling with different grades and from different gas stations with the same results. Also, why can't Honda/Acura hook up their HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) and monitor the knock sensor outputs to see if it's even triggered? I can't see how knocks can happen during stating up an engine or at very low speed under light load, unless the knock system or the ECU programming is faulty. Therefore, if the knock sensor is functional and not picking up knock activity, the problem is somewhere else.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Instructor

This is really scaring me away from getting 2G TSX. I really would like to buy one, but if it is as irritating as everyone says, that it may turn into a dealbreaker.

Hypothetically, if Acura found the problem and made the fix, would they be able to incorporate into current generation models, or do you have to wait until refresh?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone know if there is a fix yet from Acura. I am interested in getting this car especially with the 0.9% deal right now. I just wanted to get people's input. Is the sound loud enough where you can hear it if you didn't know about this issue? Or is this something that can only be hear if you are focusing and looking for it. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Racer

you can only hear it if you have the radio off and focus on listening to it.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any updates from anyone on the engine knocking/pinging issue? I have not heard anything new from my dealer or from Acura corporate.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Advanced

I personally believe that this noise issue is a non-issue and a load of crap. We haven't seen so much as a sound file to listen to or an independent verification that there is an actual issue. It could be that we have a handful of owners who can't feel good unless they have something to complain about. I choose to side with Acura and believe that they made an imperfect but great car.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by H1K1F1
I personally believe that this noise issue is a non-issue and a load of crap. We haven't seen so much as a sound file to listen to or an independent verification that there is an actual issue. It could be that we have a handful of owners who can't feel good unless they have something to complain about. I choose to side with Acura and believe that they made an imperfect but great car.
H1K1F1, you are entitled to your opinon. But as an Owner of an 2009 Acura TSX, and former owner of a 2004 TSX, 1999 Honda Accord EX-L V-6, and 1996 Accord, I freaking love my car and the Honda /Acura Brand!!! So don't tell me how I freaking feel or that I enjoy ripping Acura / Honda.

This is the Problem and Fix board so suprise suprise... we post problems we have with our cars. What? Are we suppose to not be frustrated when posting issues we have with our Acura?

As for verification, you obviously haven't read all the post on this issue. My Acura dealer and Acura Client services admit they are aware of the issue. The Acura tech admitted that they heard the noise and the Acura has no current fix right now. With that in mind what is the point of posting a sound file on this thread? So people like you will believe us? Whatever....

And YES Acura did make a great car.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 12-13-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
H1K1F1, you are entitled to your opinon. But as an Owner of an 2009 Acura TSX, and former owner of a 2004 TSX, 1999 Honda Accord EX-L V-6, and 1996 Accord, I freaking love my car and the Honda /Acura Brand!!! So don't tell me how I freaking feel or that I enjoy ripping Acura / Honda.

This is the Problem and Fix board so suprise suprise... we post problems we have with our cars. What? Are we suppose to not be frustrated when posting issues we have with our Acura?

As for verification, you obviously haven't read all the post on this issue. My Acura dealer and Acura Client services admit they are aware of the issue. The Acura tech admitted that they heard the noise and the Acura has no current fix right now. With that in mind what is the point of posting a sound file on this thread? So people like you will believe us? Whatever....

And YES Acura did make a great car.
Dude, don't insult me by making the assumption that I haven't read all the posts in this thread. At this point, I have to take the "innocent until proven guilty" approach to Honda/Acura, as no one has produced any evidence that can be independently verified outside of the context of this forum. The point of providing a sound file or evidence of even higher caliber is to be able to have some reasonable grounds to believe that isolated people like you aren't blowing smoke.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 PM
CBP TLX

Dude, don't insult me by making the assumption that I haven't read all the posts in this thread. At this point, I have to take the "innocent until proven guilty" approach to Honda/Acura, as no one has produced any evidence that can be independently verified outside of the context of this forum. The point of providing a sound file or evidence of even higher caliber is to be able to have some reasonable grounds to believe that isolated people like you aren't blowing smoke.
H1K1F1, like wise don't insult us by making the assumption that the issues we are having is a "load of crap" and that we are just blowing smoke.

Originally Posted by acuratech239
I quickly read through all these posts, and just wanted to give you a heads up that Acura IS fully aware of this noise.

I just wanted to let you all know that us techs too are aware of the noise, and have made the appropriate calls to Tech Line about it...which means the engineers, etc know about it.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Advanced

H1K1F1, like wise don't insult us by making the assumption that the issues we are having is a "load of crap" and that we are just blowing smoke.
Then provide more than your empty opinions that you pass off as facts.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I wonder HTH anyone could generate a sound file that a listener could hear and discern as pinging. If it's as faint as most claim, the only way to *see* it (since you couldn't hear it) would be to read a dyno chart on one that is experiencing it @ X rpm.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I wonder HTH anyone could generate a sound file that a listener could hear and discern as pinging. If it's as faint as most claim, the only way to *see* it (since you couldn't hear it) would be to read a dyno chart on one that is experiencing it @ X rpm.
If it's so faint, then why are these people getting in such an uproar about it? So, come on, let's bring on the sound file or even one shred of an actual statement from Acura. Hearsay may work in a grand jury, but not out here in the real world.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced

If it's so faint, then why are these people getting in such an uproar about it? So, come on, let's bring on the sound file or even one shred of an actual statement from Acura. Hearsay may work in a grand jury, but not out here in the real world.
You are an idiot and a troll. Its already been stated multiple times in this thread that Acura is FULLY AWARE of this problem. If you expect Acura to come to this paticular forum and do a huge press release just to make you feel better buddy, then you are a fool. Do us all a favor and just GTFO unless you have something constructive to add.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ShadowTuner
You are an idiot and a troll. Its already been stated multiple times in this thread that Acura is FULLY AWARE of this problem. If you expect Acura to come to this paticular forum and do a huge press release just to make you feel better buddy, then you are a fool. Do us all a favor and just GTFO unless you have something constructive to add.
ShadowTuner:
Actually I have a Ph.D. in management information systems (University of Houston, 2008) and I'm no troll. Not that I expect you to believe me on either point. If you stupid MFs can't be open to having someone question your claims, then what is the point of this forum? It's apparently not about sorting facts from fluff! Try that on for something constructive and STFU!!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Advanced

ShadowTuner:
Actually I have a Ph.D. in management information systems (University of Houston, 2008) and I'm no troll. Not that I expect you to believe me on either point. If you stupid MFs can't be open to having someone question your claims, then what is the point of this forum? It's apparently not about sorting facts from fluff! Try that on for something constructive and STFU!!!!
That was in no way a constructive post. All you did was tell us your education background and continue on your same pointless argument. I don't care if you are a freaking rocket scientist with a Ph.D. in nuclear physics, you are still making senseless arguments.

I have no problem with someone questioning mine or anyone else's claims when there is reasonable doubt surrounding it, but in this case it has been reported by multiple owners AND Acura has Admitted that YES there is a noise, but they have no fix for it.

This is more than enough proof for the real world and for any kind of courtroom you want to take it to. Especially since what would be the defendant (Acura) has stated that the problem exists. So please do us all a favor and just quit trying. You may not be a troll, but you are sure acting like one.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced

That was in no way a constructive post. All you did was tell us your education background and continue on your same pointless argument. I don't care if you are a freaking rocket scientist with a Ph.D. in nuclear physics, you are still making senseless arguments.

I have no problem with someone questioning mine or anyone else's claims when there is reasonable doubt surrounding it, but in this case it has been reported by multiple owners AND Acura has Admitted that YES there is a noise, but they have no fix for it.

This is more than enough proof for the real world and for any kind of courtroom you want to take it to. Especially since what would be the defendant (Acura) has stated that the problem exists. So please do us all a favor and just quit trying. You may not be a troll, but you are sure acting like one.
You have said that Acura has admitted it. Where is the independently verifiable evidence? Show a pdf or something more than the hearsay that you have provided.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Advanced

You have said that Acura has admitted it. Where is the independently verifiable evidence? Show a pdf or something more than the hearsay that you have provided.
There is no PDF available, and there won't be until Acura releases a TSB fix for the problem. Nothing we say or put up is going to make you happy. If you don't believe it then call Acura for yourself or go ride in someone's car that has the problem. If you aren't willing to do that then just let it go. No one really has any feasible way to go about recording the sound without going to extraordinary lengths, and I doubt anyone will go to such lengths just to prove to one person on the internet that a known problem really and truly exists.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced

There is no PDF available, and there won't be until Acura releases a TSB fix for the problem. Nothing we say or put up is going to make you happy. If you don't believe it then call Acura for yourself or go ride in someone's car that has the problem. If you aren't willing to do that then just let it go. No one really has any feasible way to go about recording the sound without going to extraordinary lengths, and I doubt anyone will go to such lengths just to prove to one person on the internet that a known problem really and truly exists.
OK, then here is the nature of the issue: it doesn't exist. Lock the thread.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced

I give up as per this statement...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

And just to prove how idiotic you are being right now, I bet the thread won't be locked as it is a valid issue. I refuse to argue with you anymore as it is pointless and impossible to get anything through your thick skull.

/end of discussion
Old 12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
CBP TLX

ShadowTuner:
If in fact this is true and you are not just blowing smoke, I congratulate you. I personally know that earning a Ph. D is quite an achievement.

The number of people who have acknowledged having this issue on this forum and other Acura forums on the internet is evidence enough to be plausible for most rational people. If you chose to believe that the evidence is not credible enough for you then so be it. We are not going to waste our time with sound files or .pdf’s just to appease you into believing us. You are free to your opinions and we are to ours.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced

If in fact this is true and you are not just blowing smoke, I congratulate you. I personally know that earning a Ph. D is quite an achievement.
Thank you. It was a grueling 6 1/2 years.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Advanced

I give up as per this statement...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

And just to prove how idiotic you are being right now, I bet the thread won't be locked as it is a valid issue. I refuse to argue with you anymore as it is pointless and impossible to get anything through your thick skull.

/end of discussion
Shadow Tuner:
It's a good idea that you're not a diplomat for this country. You would have probably incited some other nation to declared war on us by now.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Advanced

Shadow Tuner:
It's a good idea that you're not a diplomat for this country. You would have probably incited some other nation to declared war on us by now.
This is probably true. I don't deal with needless stupidity very well. It tends to set me off, especially when its clearly in the wrong and argues its not. Prove me wrong and I'll admit it and take back everything I said. Until then, I stand by all my statements thus far.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 AM

Thank you. It was a grueling 6 1/2 years.
It clearly left a mark on you. Attacking and insulting other board members and demanding evidence to convince you when Acura service techs have already confirmed that there is an issue, is contrary to the community nature of this forum. I suggest you just desubscribe from this thread and start again in another one with a clear head.

I won't quote all the insults you've posted here, they're easy to find.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidspalding
It clearly left a mark on you. Attacking and insulting other board members and demanding evidence to convince you when Acura service techs have already confirmed that there is an issue, is contrary to the community nature of this forum. I suggest you just desubscribe from this thread and start again in another one with a clear head.

I won't quote all the insults you've posted here, they're easy to find.
I have responded in kind when I have been attacked and insulted. What this thread appears to lack is any of the critical attitude that is helpful in academia. It would be nice if things were challenged rather than being accepted at face value. Posters have claimed that Acura service techs have told them this and told them that. So what? Are you actually familiar with the concept of hearsay? I'm not going to desubscribe from this thread as I have just as much a "right" to take part as those who are claiming that there is an issue. If members of that group don't like it, no one is forcing them to listen.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Wow, you're completely missing a really important point here h1k1f1. Obviously the problem doesn't effect you since you claim it doesn't exist. Obviously it does effect a number of other members as they have contributed to the thread stating as much. Why is the existence of this thread such an issue for you when it doesn't have any bearing on your life what-so-ever? How about you leave the discussion to those whom have some sort of investment in the issue at hand, mmmk?

Look at everything you've said here objectively. It's classic troll behavior and I'm sure it would annoy you as much as the others here if you were on the other side. Just be a big boy and walk away before you get yourself banned.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Look at everything you've said here objectively. It's classic troll behavior and I'm sure it would annoy you as much as the others here if you were on the other side. Just be a big boy and walk away before you get yourself banned.
So, it seems that what you're saying is that unless I say something that tows the party line, I shouldn't be saying anything at all. Ooh, that's the mark of a big boy. Of course, from what I have been able to gather, that is classic majority behavior on web forums.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Holy fucking shit, just go the fuck away already. I'm trying to be polite but you're just insisting upon being an egotistical ass hat. You're not adding anything remotely useful to this thread. In fact, you're endeavoring specifically to make this useful (for some, not you clearly) thread go away. It doesn't pertain to you so just fuck off and let the people who have issues deal with it. Those people have no need to prove to you that they're having a problem. They're pretty fucking well aware that they are and there's nothing you can do to help them so why would they give a flying fuck about what you think?

I hope you get banned because you are of no value to this forum at all.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Holy fucking shit, just go the fuck away already. I'm trying to be polite but you're just insisting upon being an egotistical ass hat. You're not adding anything remotely useful to this thread. In fact, you're endeavoring specifically to make this useful (for some, not you clearly) thread go away. It doesn't pertain to you so just fuck off and let the people who have issues deal with it. Those people have no need to prove to you that they're having a problem. They're pretty fucking well aware that they are and there's nothing you can do to help them so why would they give a flying fuck about what you think?

I hope you get banned because you are of no value to this forum at all.
Dude, with your copious use of profanity, I'd say that you're doing just as much to derail what can still be a useful thread and getting yourself banned.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

Guys, lets keep this thread civil.

H1K1F1, there is no reason that anyone needs to prove anything to you. Its sufficient for a member to believe there is a problem to post a thread in the Problems and Fixes Forum seeking a solution. That is what this subforum is all about. You also have a right to your opinion, which you stated. There is no reason to continue to argue your point or to argue with the other members in this thread. You said your peace, leave it alone. I don't want to see rebuttals to every single post.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlukja
Guys, lets keep this thread civil.

H1K1F1, there is no reason that anyone needs to prove anything to you. Its sufficient for a member to believe there is a problem to post a thread in the Problems and Fixes Forum seeking a solution. That is what this subforum is all about. You also have a right to your opinion, which you stated. There is no reason to continue to argue your point or to argue with the other members in this thread. You said your peace, leave it alone. I don't want to see rebuttals to every single post.
Understood. However, it strikes me as unfair that you took me aside, but you didn't take LukeaTron aside for his unnecessary use of profanity.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

^^ Luke got a PM from me. You have one too.

Back on topic folks, move along, nothing to see here....
Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Being a newly redesigned car it has new (unexpected) problems. Acura is probably trying to solve them. Until then, if you do have a problem let acura client service know. Maybe then they will worker harder to solve them.

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*