A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's funny because the way this issue is being described (a can full of ball bearings being rattled) sounds exactly like something I hear on my 04, though far less often than what others have indicated here. At least in my case, I'm about 95% certain it's not actually pinging.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by H1K1F1
If it's so faint, then why are these people getting in such an uproar about it? So, come on, let's bring on the sound file or even one shred of an actual statement from Acura. Hearsay may work in a grand jury, but not out here in the real world.
Damn, I missed all the fun.

Anyway, my original point was, and remains that a microphone placed in the engine bay probably wouldn't be able to pick out the sound of any pinging going on with all the other racket. Even a mic in the cabin probably wouldn't be able to pick it up unless it was severe & IIRC that hasn't been reported.

It doesn't mean that those with the issue don't have a legitimate concern. Hopefully it's traced to something benign.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by [R]isque'
How come it is only on the auto?
(it is not pinging....)
Sorry, I wish i could answer that for you.

I can only assume like others have said here it must have to do with either the torque convertor in the transmission or a computer programming issue as the auto trans will have different measurements for fuel, air, timing, shift points etc compared to the std trans. Any of these could cause it to start pinging at certain loads.

Its easy to simulate the pinging sound with any std trans as all you have to do is accelerate in too high of a gear under load and you will get any engine to ping.
You wont see Acura admit officially that there is a problem till they have a fix. This is how its done with almost every manufactuer as it would really hurt sales in an already tough economy if they admitted they had a problem but no fix for their new car.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Damn, I missed all the fun.

Anyway, my original point was, and remains that a microphone placed in the engine bay probably wouldn't be able to pick out the sound of any pinging going on with all the other racket. Even a mic in the cabin probably wouldn't be able to pick it up unless it was severe & IIRC that hasn't been reported.

It doesn't mean that those with the issue don't have a legitimate concern. Hopefully it's traced to something benign.
I agree 100%.

Many mechanics use a stethoscope type tool or a similar instrument to help pinpoint these types of problems when trying to pick out certain noises inside the engine compartment (ie. vacuum leaks, knocks etc). Placing a microphone in there would result in just one large sound bite proving nothing.

I am not sure why we need all of this solid proof when looking on the Internet anyone can see that there are forums from all over the world where the 2009 auto TSX is having this issue. If someone actually has a Ph.D in Management information systems, they should be able to easily see why Honda/Acura isnt making this a known problem till they have a solution for it. Then again i never did see a Pdf showing this accomplishment from the University of Houston in 2008 or a sound clip of "H1K1F1" receiving his certificate from the head of the university so it must be false.:wink:
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Drifting

^^ Lol and buuuuuuuurn!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I advise everyone to drop the issue with H1K1F1 and stick to the original topic of this thread.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
I agree 100%.

Many mechanics use a stethoscope type tool or a similar instrument to help pinpoint these types of problems when trying to pick out certain noises inside the engine compartment (ie. vacuum leaks, knocks etc). Placing a microphone in there would result in just one large sound bite proving nothing.

I am not sure why we need all of this solid proof when looking on the Internet anyone can see that there are forums from all over the world where the 2009 auto TSX is having this issue. If someone actually has a Ph.D in Management information systems, they should be able to easily see why Honda/Acura isnt making this a known problem till they have a solution for it. Then again i never did see a Pdf showing this accomplishment from the University of Houston in 2008 or a sound clip of "H1K1F1" receiving his certificate from the head of the university so it must be false.:wink:
Moving back to productive conversation, I see. I won't respond to this one and LukeaTron, since I don't need to provide evidence of my educational background.

Yes, let's (really) move along.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

FWIW.

I'm thinking it is a timing issue, not torque converter related.

We only have 91 octane here, and many question its freshness (including these club racers, http://www.targanewfoundland.com/).

When I add a bottle or 2 of an octane booster (STP, NOS etc.) the 'pinging' totally disappears.

If I go back to straight 91 it returns (some brands of gas 'ping' more than others).
Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Octane booster did NOT work for me

I also have the intermittent pinging issue with my 2009 TSX automatic transmission. I put a can of 104 Octane Boost in the last tank of fuel and the car continued to ping.
Therefore, I would conclude on my car that it is not an octane issue.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Instructor

I have heard it with a manual, in the 3500 RPM range. I do not think it is knocking due to early detonation. I heard it on a cold engine. Could it be the fuel injectors?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

Well, the plot thickens. I can't deny I hear it sometimes in my car, but it has become a non-issue for me.

The rest of the car overshadows it.

A bottle or two of additive a month won't break me, and seems to solve it.

I will be watching for updates though.

Originally Posted by mcabutti
I also have the intermittent pinging issue with my 2009 TSX automatic transmission. I put a can of 104 Octane Boost in the last tank of fuel and the car continued to ping.
Therefore, I would conclude on my car that it is not an octane issue.
Originally Posted by 09TSXMN
I have heard it with a manual, in the 3500 RPM range. I do not think it is knocking due to early detonation. I heard it on a cold engine. Could it be the fuel injectors?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Racer

I haven't been really hearing the noise at all the last month or so, its been really cold here in NYC so i dunno, the sound is really a non-issue though.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Any dealer updates or TSBs on this issue?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Fuel additive configurations change from winter to summer. Perhaps the extra ethanol (?) dampens the fuel's potential for dieseling?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Dieseling, as I've heard it defined is when the engine continues running after the ignition has been turned off (older diesel engines would do this when they got hot due to the low flashpoint of diesel fuel). Have people been having that problem with the TSX or are you using a different definition?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by patcracks
I haven't been really hearing the noise at all the last month or so, its been really cold here in NYC so i dunno, the sound is really a non-issue though.
High load, high gear low rpm load in cold weather *should* exacerbate pinging on account of the colder, more dense air. Then again, as mentioned above, maybe the cold weather mixture is somehow offsetting it?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
5th Gear

Pinging, Knocking, Dieseling, whatever you call it

I originally posted on August 26th, 2008 on this issue. Since then, the dealer has now finally admitted that there is a problem, enough in quantity and frequency to the point where the management was made aware of, and therefore a ticket number was issued. Advised me that as soon as TSB for this issue comes out with a resolution, that I will be notified.

As for all others who posted same or similar symptoms, I suspect that they will also have to wait for a resolution from Honda.

Just a short personal note on the posts. I hope that those who reply to this thread, that the contents remain focused to the point being addressed. I understand that some people love just blogging for the sake of blogging, and that's okay too, as long as it pertains to the subject matter; which is, "pinging under acceleration."

And for the gentleman from Australia, who pointed out that this is a matter concerning automatic gear box(i.e., automatic transmission), what was his solution? In other words, if he was kind enough to point out what it was, couldn't he state what the solution was as well? Or was there a solution?

In any event, I am hoping that Honda will come out with a solution in the near future. When that happens, I will be certain to post the result and the process for which they took to solve this issue.

Thank you all for participating in the forum.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:19 AM
4th Gear

Finally a Honda Solution. This is what we received from Honda in answer to letters to

My wife has an 09 tsx and so do I. Both have the 6 MT and both cars make the same noise. I have no idea what it is and I only use Chevron 91 octane. The service manager at Acura said there was no indication that anything was wrong when they looked at it. They heard the noise, but when they ran diagnostics everything was well within factory specs. He also said that he had an MDX in with the same problem. Changed just about everything on it and it still made the smae noise.

Who knows. Maybe it's Honda's turn to ride on their name and produce crap.[/quote]

With a lot of letters to the media about the same engine noise we are experiencing here in Australia finally they have caved in and given us an answer. It is as follows. Software fix is reputedly available mid February

Dear John, we appreciate that you are concerned about the presence of an engine operational sound as it detracts from your overall enjoyment of the vehicle and we wish to again reassure you that this condition will have no impact on performance or engine reliability. We have been working closely with the technical division of Honda Corporation in Japan and following extensive investigations we can confirm that the condition you are experiencing is not that of “pinging” which is known within the industry as “pre-ignition”. The condition that you are experiencing is a combustion sound taking place after the programmed ignition, namely a “post combustion noise”. As this condition takes place after the programmed ignition and with the piston on its downward stroke, there is no detrimental force or impact within the engine in your vehicle. Therefore your engine has not sustained any damage and we are happy to offer you a guarantee on the engine while you are the owner of this vehicle as a way of reassuring you of our confidence that no wear or damage is occurring to the engine or associated components.

We trust this advice from the manufacturer clarifies the matter.

Regards
Joe Gelsi
Customer Relations Manager
Honda Australia Pty Ltd

Suggest you get on to Honda in your respective Countries and say you know about a fix and when is it going to be available.

It has taken me five hassling months to get an answer. Up until now they treated me like I didnt exist. Wouldnt communicate.Only when I got on to the media did they come to light. Nothing like bad publicity to stir a manufacturer into doing something.
And they call this Honda Customer Care LOL
Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 AM
4th Gear

THe Answer to your pinging noise problem

[quote=oneforall;9931148]Hello everyone,
Has anyone with 2009 TSX experienced intermittent pinging? The pinging has no duplicable pattern. It can happen from a stop to take off, it can happen during shifting from 2nd to 3rd. In addition, it has no bearing on whether or not I use premium fuel or regular. There is no MIL on, and all other functions seem to operate properly.
My guess is that, the ECM is intermittently adjusting/caliberating the timing.
Anyone who has or had same or similar symptoms?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

With a lot of letters to the media about the same engine noise we are experiencing here in Australia finally they have caved in and given us an answer. It is as follows. Software fix is reputedly available mid February

Dear John, we appreciate that you are concerned about the presence of an engine operational sound as it detracts from your overall enjoyment of the vehicle and we wish to again reassure you that this condition will have no impact on performance or engine reliability. We have been working closely with the technical division of Honda Corporation in Japan and following extensive investigations we can confirm that the condition you are experiencing is not that of “pinging” which is known within the industry as “pre-ignition”. The condition that you are experiencing is a combustion sound taking place after the programmed ignition, namely a “post combustion noise”. As this condition takes place after the programmed ignition and with the piston on its downward stroke, there is no detrimental force or impact within the engine in your vehicle. Therefore your engine has not sustained any damage and we are happy to offer you a guarantee on the engine while you are the owner of this vehicle as a way of reassuring you of our confidence that no wear or damage is occurring to the engine or associated components.

Regards
Joe Gelsi
Honda Australia Pty Ltd
Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 AM
4th Gear

The answer to your pinging problem

[quote=OCAC;10010833]I've had my TSX for about 3.5 weeks now. Started hearing the random pinging from about day 3. I've tried 91 octane gas from Exxon, Chevron, Phillips/66 and still got the pinging. I recently dumped in octane booster and I still hear some pinging. Maybe it's not a fuel thing .... What ever it is, I'll be taking the car into Tustin Acura in the next few weeks and see what they say.

And like CybrRdr, my '00 Accord v6 does not do that. It's very annoying.

Regards
Joe Gelsi
Honda Australia Pty Ltd
Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Just so I am clear on this. . . Is it your understanding that Honda will be releasing some sort of Technical Service Bulletin in mid-February that focuses on a software re-programming to alleviate this noise?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM

Don't be too reassured about "a guarantee on the engine while you are the owner of this vehicle." This means that whoever buys the car from you gets diddly-squat. So what? Your resale value drops significantly. Like that? Want more of that from Honda? I wouldn't.

My ... push for a software fix. Post-combustion noise still sounds like a design fault, and will "[detract] from your overall enjoyment of the vehicle," particularly if you try to do a private sale.

Buyer: "Sounds like you've got some pinging, maybe post-combustion detonation. Not a good engine."
Seller: "Oh, Honda/Acura says it's supposed to do that."
Buyer: "Yeah, right, buddy. Think I'll buy a used ES250 instead. Best of luck...."
Disclosure: I don't own an '09, just speaking out from the Peanut Gallery. I'd thought I mght get a newer TSX in 4-8 year.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by davidspalding
My ... push for a software fix.
I would say that's Honda's plans. ECU tune FTW!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
I don't think it's a fuel issue as so many people have tried filling with different grades and from different gas stations with the same results. Also, why can't Honda/Acura hook up their HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) and monitor the knock sensor outputs to see if it's even triggered? I can't see how knocks can happen during stating up an engine or at very low speed under light load, unless the knock system or the ECU programming is faulty. Therefore, if the knock sensor is functional and not picking up knock activity, the problem is somewhere else.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say that's Honda's plans. ECU tune FTW!
I guess we'll see about that.
I don't read anywhere where they plan on reflashing or tuning every ECU
out there that has this problem. I read:
"deal with it, and for your assurance we'll guarantee the engine won't fail
on you, it will only make noise."
Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
out there that has this problem. ...

Originally Posted by oneforall
I originally posted on August 26th, 2008 on this issue. Since then, the dealer has now finally admitted that there is a problem, enough in quantity and frequency to the point where the management was made aware of, and therefore a ticket number was issued. Advised me that as soon as TSB for this issue comes out with a resolution, that I will be notified....
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

out there that has this problem. I read:
"deal with it, and for your assurance we'll guarantee the engine won't fail
on you, it will only make noise."
I guess the "Software fix is reputedly available mid February" went right over your head then.

Everyone over here is being told mid Feb by Honda.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess the "Software fix is reputedly available mid February" went right over your head then.

Everyone over here is being told mid Feb by Honda.
actually nothing goes over my head.
where does HONDA say that?
all I see is some guy guessing that...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM

In a moment of java clarity a second ago, I thought about the early Nissan QR25DE's whose cat would degenerate and the engines ended up with some debris in the cylinders.

Not to rile up anyone experiencing this, it was just the thought of a post-combustion event in the pre-cat and what effect it might have on the cat core.

If it's a spiral wound metal core cat like a Random Technology, then it wouldn't be affected at all. If it's a plain ole clay cat...?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM

actually nothing goes over my head.
where does HONDA say that?
all I see is some guy guessing that...
He said, she said. (Not you.) Someone says he received a "ticket number" and "Advised me that as soon as TSB for this issue comes out with a resolution, that I will be notified...." Well, we could wait a few months for that, or a few years for that. We'll see. Until then, yes, it's hearsay. It is not, as some are swallowing whole, a done deal or an assurance.

Let's all settle down and just see if a TSB comes out in a few months. (And anyone else experiencing this, you can guarantee a TSB won't come out if you stay home and don't ask their Acura service manager to evaluate this. Y'hear?)
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

I am experiencing the pinging and it is indeed very irritating. (If I wanted a car that sounds like a diesel, I'd have bought a 1983 Mercedes....)

I will be taking my 09 TSX to the dealership next week to see what they have to say about the problem. For those of you not experiencing this sound, consider yourselves lucky. It really does detract from an otherwise nice car.

Honda needs to own up to the problem, communicate with its customers, and
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

...fix it once and for all.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Sile

Currently, would this have any effect on your decision to get a TSX if you had to do it over again?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 AM
6th Gear

Hey all. Has anyone heard any updates on rolling out a fix for this issue? I recall some saying mid Feb...
Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM

My , if I took a car for a test drive and heard this, I'd walk away and not look back. There are affordable and comparable alternatives to a TSX, so Acura needs to do something,... and I don't mean come out with a different engine and point customers to that one. (E.g., "Well this is only the four cylinder, we recommend you get it with the new V6.")
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 AM
6th Gear

Acura Customer Services

Spoke to Customer Services again this morning. Again, hearing that they have not heard of this issue and have nothing on hand as far as information. Has anyone gotten any progress as far as an update?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick poll: Is your car affected by engine pinging -- yes or no?

Background: I took my car to my local Acura dealer to have them look into the engine pinging noise. When the technician got in the car for the test drive, he said he knew exactly the noise the car was going to make, and sure enough he knew exactly how to replicate it.

When we returned to the dealership, the service manager wrote up the problem, said Acura/Honda was claiming it is a "normal" sound, and said he'd send them notice of another complaint. He said that was all he could/would do. He said that "lots of" 09 TSXs make this noise, even when using the highest-octane, Top Tier gasoline available. (I have used a different Top Tier retailer for every tank of gas, and have always put in 93 octane.)

My car did not make the noise when I bought it; it only began after about 1,500 miles. This seems to be the case with other owners, based on what I've read here and on Edmunds. The car sound awful when it makes this noise and appears to me to affect the performance.

I am writing to Acura/Honda to formally lodge a complaint and would like to know how many others here are experiencing the pinging problem (if you don't know what I'm referring to, consider yourself lucky).
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tsXgtp
Currently, would this have any effect on your decision to get a TSX if you had to do it over again?
I wouldn't have bought the TSX had I known it would make this noise.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, my ext. warranty is for 7 years and 120,000 miles. If my wife's car survives to that time, then i am a happy camper.

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*