A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember ,when i was a kid, we had a 1984 Skoda 125 l ( a brand from Check republic ,that car is with carburetor) ,that when my father used to put a cheap gas mixed with water in it ,there was exactly the same noise coming from the engine! Weird memories!
I'll try to put STP booster in the tank ant BTW I have always used premium fuel in my car!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Intermediate

Hi guys, I found something very interesting, what I thing might be the problem. I might need some help too, to define the problem in English!
I called friend of mine, that ownes the company importing Honda and Acura in Bulgaria and has a shop in there.
What he told me is ,that he had that problem 2 times with this engine.
Problem!!! The camshaft in this engine is a week spot. Once you push the car and not lucky you can brake the perfect shape of it ,which is a perfect shape of egg or a hump! So, what happens is this shape becomes more sharpened if a something like a peel occures. That makes the car ping at the low rpm's!
Well, I can't be shure about it , beening the problem and if I describe it well, but I can't be shure if the tehnitian just check my computer and find nothing with the ignitioning!
But I was ensured ,that if I'm in Bulgaria in bring the car over the dilership, they will fix it easy!
Please, anyone that is more technikly advanced, try to help me out with describing it!
I'm taking my car back to the diler and until they don't open the camshaft cap and take a look at the shape for a peel, I'm not going home!
Otherwise, what happens is one day, you push the car and f** up the valves and cilinders and everything!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't know how to post a poll, but unless someone has already done it elsewhere, can someone do it now?

Also, those videos embedded in this thread sound like a connecting rod knock, not pinging or knocking.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 AM

P.S. I don't believe anyone could record pinging on a video, it's too faint & if it were severe enough to record, it'd be game over for the engine anyway.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Anyone, p.s.
Do you know enything about how it works, that what I 'm describing you! I've been told , I need to open the camshaft lid or valves cap and look at the shape!

Thanks guys! Anyone more advanced that has an opinion!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Boris, there's a language barrier here. I'm not sure what you're asking. There's nothing to look at in the cam box under the valve cover, this is a suspected internal engine noise.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Well, the problem is that I'm not a tech guy ,and not used to the termins and English is my secoud language. But what was explaned is, that I have to remove the valve cover or lid, so I can see the shape of the camshafts (I'm not sure ,this is the termin in English for what I have been told in Bulgarian> I"LL chech everythig tonight ,because I don't have time now) Directly translated in English ,this sound like that : " Peeled distributing valves" Need to be replaced and the noise is fixed!
What happens is that those camshafts or whatever those are (I'll find out) have the shape of egg or a hump and once they are peeled and their shape is more sharpe or not perfect egg shape, the car starts pinging at the low rpm's!
I was told that already two cars with the same noise are fixed in Bulgaria just replacing those things!
Well tonight I'll research and even will make my guys make a vidio and show where ,what and how everything looks!
The problem is that those technitians are in BG , but if I have to I'll bring them over! The thing is that ,when you export a Acura from US in other country the warranty don't matter any more and you can open the engine and check everything without loosing any warranty! That is ,when found out the real problems!
First I'll talk with my dielership and have them taka a look at it. The computer diagnostic does not work for it! This is a B/S!
I'll be more specific tonight!
Thank you!

Last edited by panta_; 05-13-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

So, well I was browsing at the web and together with that I was told. The problem could be the cams at the camshaft might be chipped off and that cause a pinging sound. But as I spoke with a friend ,he said that if that is really the problem ,the car will loose its power and normal working for the next 8K miles. As I see that the post started 2008 ,that means some of the cars here must have already lots of engine problems! So ,what I was saying before might not be the issue especially if the car does not make the noise in park!
But I'll still be asking here and there for this issue!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM

I wouldn't go into the engine for anything like that, particularly if you're not a tech. The noises in this thread are related to engine management, or so most think at the time.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:34 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How will we get the pinging fix in the US?

It was reported today in an Australian magazine (carsguide.com) that Honda has come up with a fix for the pinging noise and cars in Australia should be fixed by the end of June. It sounds like it's a software issue.

My question is: How/when will we get this fix in the US? Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Advanced

Everyone needs to make noise. Call/Write Acura Client Services and also take their cars to the dealers and insist that they contact Acura Techline. If you brought it in before, call your service manager to follow-up on the issue, reference the article that you found. I really think that there is a communication break within Honda and that Honda OZ does not communicate issues with other regional branches. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
10th Gear

What can I say, this issue is a big turn-off. I've been monitoring this thread hoping for Acura to solve this fast. It's a show stopper. I'm gonna need a new car soon, but I won't by TSX unless this issue is solved. This displays both - quality of engineering and customer care. Acura took a huge dive in both the way this is handled. What do you guys think?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by romicva
What can I say, this issue is a big turn-off. I've been monitoring this thread hoping for Acura to solve this fast. It's a show stopper. I'm gonna need a new car soon, but I won't by TSX unless this issue is solved. This displays both - quality of engineering and customer care. Acura took a huge dive in both the way this is handled. What do you guys think?
I think that you're entitled to your opinions but I don't share them.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcabutti
It was reported today in an Australian magazine (carsguide.com) that Honda has come up with a fix for the pinging noise and cars in Australia should be fixed by the end of June. It sounds like it's a software issue.
You have the link to the article you're talking about?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melody
You have the link to the article you're talking about?
Found it

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/ne...m_being_fixed/
Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nzitr
That's encouraging! Someone who has an '09 with the problem should send an email with a link to this article to Acura Customer Service!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
He says Honda is taking the problem very seriously.

"Honda R&D people came out from Japan. We had a team of engineers here for about two weeks," he says.
Print that out, and take in to your service manager. If needed, contact Mark Higgins in Oz directly.

Romicva is entitled to his opinion and I share it. I wouldn't get a 2009 model with this and a few other issues. Sorry if that hurts others feewings, but Acura has a high quality reputation to uphold and actions like this and the 2004 a/c problem don't help.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Has anyone taken this info to their dealer? Wondering is anyone has heard anything about a roll-out in the US?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

Those of us in the US should call client services and let them know. I first called in October '08. After reading the article the person posted about the Accord in Australia, I called client services again yesterday. My claim from October '08 is STILL OPEN.

Everyone call client services and let your voice be heard.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Did client services have any new info? They seem to be a blackhole of little help. Maybe we should forward it to our dealers to contact techline?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As someone who owns the car in question and who has this problem, I would have to agree with you. I would wait until this problem is solved. It makes your car sound like a piece of junk, sorry to say. That said, I love EVERYTHING else about the car.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
10th Gear

Unhappy Thank you.

Originally Posted by ctwickman
As someone who owns the car in question and who has this problem, I would have to agree with you. I would wait until this problem is solved. It makes your car sound like a piece of junk, sorry to say. That said, I love EVERYTHING else about the car.
Thank you ctwickman,

I guess that was the thought that I needed to hear. I'm very eager to have this car. I have 05 MDX and love everything about it. However TSX makes me question the buying decision. I may not have time to wait. My 99 Maxima may have to go before TSX pinging issue is solved. Acura is just not handling it fast enough for me.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The 2010 will be out very soon. Maybe they fixed it for the new model year.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've called Acura several times now and they say they are aware and working on the issue but there's no date for a fix that has been determined nor is there more information about a resolution yet. The first few times I called, they acted like they had no idea of what I was talking about but this past time I called the rep was already aware of the issue and didn't even need to do much checking as she already knew what was going on. It sounds like they are becoming more aware as of late which is good. For the sake of all of us, please make the call to ACS and voice your concerns, it's really easy and the more calls they get the more pressure they will feel on getting the fix out to us.

Number is (800) 382-2238 and they are open to call Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time. Be sure to have your VIN ready as they will ask for it.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

I am picking up my '09 TSX on Friday and am starting to wonder if that was the right choice. I didn't notice any pinging/knocking on the test drives but still this does not sound too good to me. Here's hoping...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Thank you ctwickman,

I guess that was the thought that I needed to hear. I'm very eager to have this car. I have 05 MDX and love everything about it. However TSX makes me question the buying decision. I may not have time to wait. My 99 Maxima may have to go before TSX pinging issue is solved. Acura is just not handling it fast enough for me.
Look for a 2008 model, certified pre-owned. Should be easy to find. Fine car, no known problems, great warranty, and you won't be disappointed IMHO.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Look for a 2008 model, certified pre-owned. Should be easy to find. Fine car, no known problems, great warranty, and you won't be disappointed IMHO.
All cars can disappoint, even the 2008 TSX. It falls behind the '09 in terms of safety, performance, passenger room, fuel economy, and amenities.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM

You're welcome to your opinion. I've sat my butt in a showroom 2009 model, and it wasn't any roomier for me. The interior felt the same, just jazzed up a bit (and not improved in 1-2 areas). Liked the gauges. Fuel economy might be a wee bit better (depends on driver, I think). MP3 player and iPod interface is a notable improvement. Placement of CD insertion slot is goofy ... but who uses CDs? Oh, yeah, DVD-A.

But the amazing self-ejecting windshield pieces and the pinging problem that a few are encountering is not fiction. Caveat emptor. So someone who really is wary of the 2009, on the fence about what to buy (and looking sideways at the Lexus lot), could probably get a really good deal on a 2008 TSX, and that was the point of my post. Take it or leave it.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

You're welcome to your opinion. I've sat my butt in a showroom 2009 model, and it wasn't any roomier for me. The interior felt the same, just jazzed up a bit (and not improved in 1-2 areas). Liked the gauges. Fuel economy might be a wee bit better (depends on driver, I think). MP3 player and iPod interface is a notable improvement. Placement of CD insertion slot is goofy ... but who uses CDs? Oh, yeah, DVD-A.

But the amazing self-ejecting windshield pieces and the pinging problem that a few are encountering is not fiction. Caveat emptor. So someone who really is wary of the 2009, on the fence about what to buy (and looking sideways at the Lexus lot), could probably get a really good deal on a 2008 TSX, and that was the point of my post. Take it or leave it.
I'll leave it. It's also not a fiction that every car has issues, including the '08 and Lexi. Pop over to Club Lexus and the IS section. You'll see what I mean.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, I think this car is probably the best combination of price, luxury, gas mileage and quality. I've picking one year from different brands and I usually drive any kind of cars and I think that this Acura is still the best choice. I hope they will come with a fix soon
BTW , anybody have heard anything for that ,what the folks in Australia have figured out or somebody with updated information from the forums over there.
I'm talking almost every day about it with friends and wondering if that pinging is pre-detonation ,that could damage the engine. I'm more concern of that noise is symptom of something damaging the engine.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Breako
I think that you're entitled to your opinions but I don't share them.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
did you test drive one? I had one as a loaner car and kept it overnight. I personally liked it but not with automatic.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Advanced

I heard the pinging sound for the first time yesterday (9K miles), but today, no pinging sound.
It appears to be intermittent, as others have noted. Tech, 5AT
Old 05-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Instructor

I will call the Acura Client Services number listed by 26Shaun above. Hopefully others will do the same.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Advanced

I feel like it gets worse overtime. At 1st, I noticed off and on, maybe going up hill. Then is moved on to accelerating between 2-3k, now it is to the point that it happens everytime the car is between 2-3k rpm, even on flat highways. I think it will help if we get organized and make sure that everyone:
-Calls Acura Client Services per the numbers in posts above
-Send a letter or fax to Acura Client Services as written proof of your issue
-File an online defect compliant with www.safercar.gov
-Have your dealer contact Techline to register your VIN as experiencing an issue.

If anyone else has an idea, please share.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by nzitr
Both the Australian Accord Euro and the North American Acura TSX are manufactured in Japan. The article states that that engineers from Honda Japan came to Australia to study the problem and have found a fix for it. The article mentions that supposedly only a maximum of 60 cars are affected in Australia out of 10,000 sold in the past year. (I doubt that this is correct. I think that there are many more than this.) Supposedly, only a handful are affected in the USA. I think that you guys don't complain loud enough! Get to it! Everyone should complain.

Given that both the Euro and the TSX are made in the same factory in Japan and that Japanese engineers came to Australia means that they'll apply the fix as a running change on the production line; but you guys still need to complain.

Here is a link to an article in Australia's Wheels Magazine (which is better known than Carsguide). I think the article is mild propaganda in support of Honda as it understates the problem.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/s...2575770015C28C
Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
did you test drive one? I had one as a loaner car and kept it overnight. I personally liked it but not with automatic.
It's unlikely that he has driven one. I have and noticed no pinging, even under load.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TSXding
I feel like it gets worse overtime. At 1st, I noticed off and on, maybe going up hill. Then is moved on to accelerating between 2-3k, now it is to the point that it happens everytime the car is between 2-3k rpm, even on flat highways. I think it will help if we get organized and make sure that everyone:
-Calls Acura Client Services per the numbers in posts above
-Send a letter or fax to Acura Client Services as written proof of your issue
-File an online defect compliant with www.safercar.gov
-Have your dealer contact Techline to register your VIN as experiencing an issue.

If anyone else has an idea, please share.
I have to agree. It is definetly louder now than it was in the winter. Perhaps because I am running the A/C now and the engine is under more load?

It's kind of funny how we are all experiencing the exact same thing and at the exact same RPM's. The noise ONLY happens between 2-3K RPM. EVERY single time during acceleration. I haven't contacted Acura Client Services yet but will this week. Hopefully others will do the same in here...

BTW I'm not so sure I buy that the noise does not cause damage. It is definitely metal on metal, whatever it is, and that CAN'T be a good thing!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Of anyone who has this issue and is really put off by it, have any of you tried to Lemon Law the car?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

I haven't done anything with the lemon law, having this problem and noticing it from tha last 3 weeks. I took the car to the dealer, called Client Services and now I'm planing to even mail them a letter. It seems to me nobody has any information about ,what is going on with eventually getting a fix in USA and this thread is in here for about a year.
It seems to me that in Australia is much more done and people are working on it and it is kinda rediculous, that even with the magazines threads and all of the online info about the problem ,nobody pays attention at the dealerships and Acura CS does not give any information, so we know that techs are working on it and fix is coming.
Is there anybody with information from their dealerships? Is there anything that you guys know more then me. I'm trying to do everything and even I'll print that magazine thread and will take it to my dealership. Have anybody already done that? What is the result?
BTW I thing that every single TSX or EURO has this problem. A friend of mine with TSX told me that he does not have the problem, but we testdrove his car and we heard it and I showed him the sound. He thinks that this is the gas!!!!! I have nothing to say!

Quick Reply: A-003: Is there an ignition timing issue? *UPDATE: TSB ON PG 12*