2nd Gen Audio Upgrade w/ Stock Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2nd Gen Audio Upgrade w/ Stock Head Unit

So i am going to attempt to upgrade my interior speakers and add an aftermarket amp to power them while using the OEM Head Unit.
I havent seen much write up on how to do this. Ive only seen it been done.

Installation

2x Front Door 6.5" 3way Kenwood 70w rms
(non tech so will be adding back doors later on)
2x 1" tweeter
(both will fit back in OEM spot)
1x Kenwood Amp
1x Line out converter
Crossover

I have disconnected the OEM amp which is in the trunk behind the trunk liner on the right side. All of the speakers currently go to this amp. So using that harness that i disconnected i will match each speaker wire color and know which is front and rear and so on. (i will right them down for it to be easy)

There are two sets of plugs. It looks like one is for all the speakers and one is for the power and remote, etc.

I will use these to connect into the harness thats supose to go into the amp and retreive my speakers from the front and rear.

Grabbing all my interior speakers like so. I can send them through the new amplifier.

Using the LOC i still have to figure out which is the remote wire and which can be used for the RCA.

I will be adding a crossover to make sure this quality comes clean.

So thats all i have for right now. I will be adding pics and detailed info on how i am doing this. The main issue is getting all my wires right from tapping into that harness.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There are some threads .. But I haven't seen someone attempt this without a processor ,being that our amp the does processing.. Or of course they got an aftermarket headunit.. What are you going to do for sub and rears?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
6.5 all around. With external amp. Will be doing this very soon.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm making these for the 9th Gen Civic Premium system, This is the same system used in the 2nd Gen Base. Just like the original 1st Gen TSX harness, you need an amp with balanced inputs to make a direct connection to the HU. The harness has a circuit to generate a proper amp remote signal from the Mute and amp on Logic signals from the HU. The 2nd Gen TSX does not have a switched 12 volt signal.

This is for full factory amp bypass, if you want to add a sub, use a LOC off the factory sub.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Dirty Terp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any update on this?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM
Pro

Yes, I am building the production prototype right now. After it is installed and tested I will build the first bunch. I have enough parts to build a total of 11 units. Most are spoken for by the Civic and Accord guys.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Bchester6 (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
This is interesting... and genious. Very good sir!!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Pro

I was thinking of tapping into the sub speaker wires and converting them to low level inputs (RCA) so I can then boost the signal voltage with an AudioControl line driver. Just a thought though.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bchester6
I was thinking of tapping into the sub speaker wires and converting them to low level inputs (RCA) so I can then boost the signal voltage with an AudioControl line driver. Just a thought though.
If your amp has speaker level inputs you can just use them for the sub. No need to boast the level, just set the gain on the amp. The only reason to use a fancy LOC is if you want some additional EQ that you don't have with just an amp.

The adapter for the TSX will have 4 ft long cables since the factory amp is located in the trunk. I shipped the 1st production unit this morning. I will build some more once the 1st unit is installed and field tested.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mercman
If your amp has speaker level inputs you can just use them for the sub. No need to boast the level, just set the gain on the amp. The only reason to use a fancy LOC is if you want some additional EQ that you don't have with just an amp.

The adapter for the TSX will have 4 ft long cables since the factory amp is located in the trunk. I shipped the 1st production unit this morning. I will build some more once the 1st unit is installed and field tested.

Jeff
I am going to use my Xtant 302a bridged to a Boston Pro 12.5lf. What's cool is that old school Xtant amps have built in options such as input gain chips and balanced input settings. It's nice to have options but I'll figure out what works best this weekend when I get it installed. Turns out after you remove the factory sub (unit) and pour the fiberglass mold out it equals 1.2 cu ft of enclosure air space!