UR Pulleys on 2011 TSX killing the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Throwdown
I did not admit that the 2G TSX draws more than other platforms. I said that in a way (that unfortunately this thread has not gone in the direction of) that was brainstorming on why the OP is stating that he is experiencing problems months down the line. I do not have any information that the 2G TSX draws more than any other platform. Which is why UR asked for a load test.
i stand corrected on that fact, though i think the point of my posts is lost on you. i don't want this to turn into some kind of war either, especially since i have no vested interest in the pulley kit at all.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ecko508
so because he is a mod he isnt allowed to be dumb? and called out for being so?
You can do whatever the hell you want. No one is stopping you.

Just don't make a "I got banned for no reason" thread (like many others have) if you get banned one day for getting stupid with a mod. Just saying...

Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Throwdown unlike unorthodox was very helpful in brainstorming a whole bunch of ideas with me and possible reasons for the issue. Thanks mark as always you are good at whY u do
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Interesting read.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Blackackcl you are a really really dumb. Please read before posting
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Blackackcl you are a really really dumb. Please read before posting
I can read just fine thanks

Originally Posted by mkeefe
It was reading at 11.5 (standard for the TSX is 14) and he noted the belt routing AND pulley size was causing the alternator to run slower and struggle to charge the battery.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I just hope we can keep perspective in the future before bashing good companies, products and vendors. I am willing to bet that UR, Throwdown, or myself have more cumulative automotive experience than all the others in this thread put together...and we are honest people as well. No need to bash.

That being said, UR can be a bit abrasive, but keep in mind they have been on the defense ever since their company was formed. Nature of the product.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 119 Posts
Now im concerned to put mine on........Do you think just putting in a better battery will solve this? or just using one of the pulleys.....idk
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ do a bench test before you install, then trial and error from there
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by VortexBlueTSX
Now im concerned to put mine on........Do you think just putting in a better battery will solve this? or just using one of the pulleys.....idk
Unfortunately I was not informed this could have been an issue but a larger battery may have helped.

---

After no longer receiving any emails from UR I decided to speak with Acura and my legal counsel (for my own protection, since the product seems defective or not compatible) since they are no longer trying to help out a customer. In the boldest move ever I got a blocked call from Shawn of UR stating the pulleys work on the 1st gen TSX and NO difference exists between the two (1st gen and 2nd gen). Can someone confirm this fact? I know the stereo is a bit beefier and the nav is higher res, does this result in a larger power draw?

The call lasted all of 20 seconds and ended with a loud "slam of the phone" after he said "don't threaten legal action, just do it".

Honestly i'm not surprised by their "hostile call" as it just adds to the original kind of support I received. I've been nothing but courteous and simply wanted some proof of testing (to ease my mind since others seem to use the pulleys).

Here is the final email I sent to UR this morning:

Hello,

Please provide me with testing data or fact "digital or research" that the UR Pulleys I purchased as a kit from Throwdown Performance was explicitly tested on an 2011 Acura TSX i4.

I have since contacted Acura and a few more professionals to dig to the bottom of this. After speaking with legal counsel last week I am no longer willing to "sit and let be".

Thanks for your time.

{signature removed for security}
At this point i'm at a loss for words... take it for what you will.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

sht just got real, again.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
This is so stupid lol. It's a well known and proven fact that the battery/alternators suck on the tsx/accords. I knew that well before purchasing pullies, and I also knew that the pullies where gonna make the battery/alternator suck that much more. I've had my battery die on me a good 5+ times. Did I cry and complain about it? No I jump started my car like a big boy and told myself not to keep accessories running without the motor on. It's a hard thin to remember but after the last time it died I have had 0 problems. You should have done your research like a big boy and you would have known that under drive pulleys will make your charging system lose power. Combine that with an already weak charging system and you get exactly what you have. Had you done your research like me you would have seen it comming. You will just get laughed at and look like an idiot if you take this to court. Get a bigger battery, quit leaving your shit in accessory mode with the engine off and wipe away your years. This is like the fucking lifetime network in here Jesus.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I like this thread, it's exciting...
Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by Keak
This is so stupid lol. It's a well known and proven fact that the battery/alternators suck on the tsx/accords. I knew that well before purchasing pullies, and I also knew that the pullies where gonna make the battery/alternator suck that much more. I've had my battery die on me a good 5+ times. Did I cry and complain about it? No I jump started my car like a big boy and told myself not to keep accessories running without the motor on. It's a hard thin to remember but after the last time it died I have had 0 problems. You should have done your research like a big boy and you would have known that under drive pulleys will make your charging system lose power. Combine that with an already weak charging system and you get exactly what you have. Had you done your research like me you would have seen it comming. You will just get laughed at and look like an idiot if you take this to court. Get a bigger battery, quit leaving your shit in accessory mode with the engine off and wipe away your years. This is like the fucking lifetime network in here Jesus.
He's gonna sue you too now! defamation of character!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VortexBlueTSX
I would consider moving out of MA before you do....
The following users liked this post:
VortexBlueTSX (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
All I can say is, I compared the pulleys on the 09+ TSX to 04-08 and they are the same dimensions. The impact is therefore the same on both cars. If the newer one has crappier electrics that is a different issue...but not one I am completely willing to concede.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
All I can say is, I compared the pulleys on the 09+ TSX to 04-08 and they are the same dimensions. The impact is therefore the same on both cars. If the newer one has crappier electrics that is a different issue...but not one I am completely willing to concede.
:shakehead
Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

hahaha ya maybe i should move out of ma....idk haha, but i was thinking is there any way they could replace the underdrive ones with just lightweight pulleys that were stock size....cause we would see a big increase and transformation but at no risk really
Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Wow never thought it'd get to this...thought Matt didn't want to deal with this anymore but now there's legal counseling involved? Just wondering what escalated this situation that we now have to get lawyers involved...I thought it was just going to get dropped after Matt sells his pulleys...
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I originally was going to sell the pulleys (still might) but since I had known issues I don't want to pass those on to the next buyer, especially if I posted them in the Black Market!

I went and spoke with the family lawyer to see if I was protected under Massachusetts purchasing law, not to attempt to take UR to court. I never mentioned that. In fact it would not only be a waste of time but the most I could ever get would be small claims settlement which you can't even use a lawyer in. To clarify, legal counsel is not always referring to calling up your lawyer and saying "I want to sue company or person XYZ" but is more commonly used as a means to ensure you know your rights in a given situation.

My "change of thought" is from seeing a couple others voicing concerns and the fact they (UR) simply stopped responding to my inquiries. As it turns out I and anyone else is protected under state purchasing law however the "burden a proof" in such a case is damn near impossible to prove.

I think a few people, without naming names, thinks I am some school kid who wants his $300 initial purchase back when in reality I am simply voicing my concerns on a bad business practice to warn other potential victims. I can't change what people want to think, nor do I care to, but as a small business owner myself I know the power and importance of customer service and professionalism, two things UR has failed to provide on any occasion, as you can see from their various correspondence.

At this point the goal of this thread has clearly been reached, which was to inform others.

Thanks all for the thoughts, concern and following along. I think we all learned something about buying and installing aftermarket parts, myself included and that i'm sure is appreciated by others that may stumble on this discussion for years to come.

Matt
4dr4bangrAccord (08-05-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I originally was going to sell the pulleys (still might) but since I had known issues I don't want to pass those on to the next buyer, especially if I posted them in the Black Market!

I went and spoke with the family lawyer to see if I was protected under Massachusetts purchasing law, not to attempt to take UR to court. I never mentioned that. In fact it would not only be a waste of time but the most I could ever get would be small claims settlement which you can't even use a lawyer in. To clarify, legal counsel is not always referring to calling up your lawyer and saying "I want to sue company or person XYZ" but is more commonly used as a means to ensure you know your rights in a given situation.

My "change of thought" is from seeing a couple others voicing concerns and the fact they (UR) simply stopped responding to my inquiries. As it turns out I and anyone else is protected under state purchasing law however the "burden a proof" in such a case is damn near impossible to prove.

I think a few people, without naming names, thinks I am some school kid who wants his $300 initial purchase back when in reality I am simply voicing my concerns on a bad business practice to warn other potential victims. I can't change what people want to think, nor do I care to, but as a small business owner myself I know the power and importance of customer service and professionalism, two things UR has failed to provide on any occasion, as you can see from their various correspondence.

At this point the goal of this thread has clearly been reached, which was to inform others.

Thanks all for the thoughts, concern and following along. I think we all learned something about buying and installing aftermarket parts, myself included and that i'm sure is appreciated by others that may stumble on this discussion for years to come.

Matt
Yes research your car and parts before you do any modifications. Had you done so you would have seen this coming...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Rule #1, 2 & 3 of modding:

1) Perform due diligence on your car, the part & intended use.

2) Do not mod your daily driver.

3) If you ignore #2, also own a $hitbox for your commute for WHEN not IF something fvcks up.
ed_423 (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Matt. Was just wondering about your train of thought that led to the legal counsel, that's all.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
It's very interesting how UR conducts themselves with issues.
4dr4bangrAccord (08-05-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
UR pulleys voided my warranty.. Thanks pos pulleys!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxronald
you didn't know that they would?

you can't put that on UR at all. everyone knows when you slap on aftermarket parts you will not be covered by the factory warranty if something should go wrong due to that part.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
what happened with your pulleys ronald??
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Pro

My 2nd gear on my transmission went out and it's not because of the pulleys. It's because of hondas cheap k series transmissions and clutches.

Btw you can put on any aftermarket part on your car and if the car messes up the dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Btw you can put on any aftermarket part on your car and if the car messes up the dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

OK, you stated the warranty was voided, and "because of the pulleys" so did the dealer prove the pulleys caused the transmission failure as per the Magnusson-Moss Act?

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-04-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
For those of you who are concerned about underdriving the accessory pulleys you should consider the stock diameter lightweight crank pulley. The gains are virtually the same and there is no change in how the accessories are driven. This is especially important for those of you who have a stereo system or are supercharged.
ed_423 (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^ thats what im saying, do you think UR will switch them out for me?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Pro

The dealer won cause they got me on me abusing the shit out of my car I fought with them for a few days. They knew that my car was driven like I stole it..lol now it's time to rebuild it better and stronger :-)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Racer

so it wasn't because of the pulley. got it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM

I've never understood those who abuse things, whether it's a mechanical item, animals, people.

What is the fun in destroying something as nice as one of these cars? I'm not just trying to bust on you personally, Ronald, I've known many people that act in the same manner.

For some, at least, I think it's a manner of elevating one's self above others by *proving* that they have so much money they can flagrantly destroy something that others covet.

I like to have fun, I like to drive fast cars, preferably around corners, but I don't abuse them.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
They say ppl who abuse animals turn into serial killers

We are probably looking at the same thing here.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tell that to UR. I was simply posting so others would be informed. They decided to "call me out" in public rather than conducting proper customer service.

Seeing as others are having battery issues it just adds to the "pulleys are causing problems" of which I originally was posting about.

I will no longer bitch with their staff though, I don't like Internet drama but merely helping out fellow car enthusiasts, such as my AZ brothers.

Matt
Good post. Saves time and money for others. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
Ronald, If you are rebuilding the tranny, could you take some measurements for me? I need to the dimenstions for the Final drive and ring gear and diff for the 09, so that we can compare them to that of an 08. If they match, we have many lsd options available, we just need to grab an 08 final drive, or an mfactory final drive and then we will have the option of LSD in the CU2 chassis.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2nd gear on my transmission went out and it's not because of the pulleys. It's because of hondas cheap k series transmissions and clutches.

The dealer won cause they got me on me abusing the shit out of my car I fought with them for a few days. They knew that my car was driven like I stole it..lol now it's time to rebuild it better and stronger :-)
So, you put blame on pulleys and Honda because you can't take responsibility of your own action and the damage you've caused?

Last edited by JTso; 08-05-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

now now guys, give ronald some slacks, he DOES have the fastest tsx ever!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by optimusaccord
Ronald, If you are rebuilding the tranny, could you take some measurements for me? I need to the dimenstions for the Final drive and ring gear and diff for the 09, so that we can compare them to that of an 08. If they match, we have many lsd options available, we just need to grab an 08 final drive, or an mfactory final drive and then we will have the option of LSD in the CU2 chassis.
Acura is doing all the work. I'll ask the mechanic.

Quick Reply: UR Pulleys on 2011 TSX killing the car