Ughh...What to do with (broken?) Navi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Ughh...What to do with (broken?) Navi.

As some of you may already know (not in a world revolves around me type way , believe me)..my navigation decided to all of a sudden shat on me.

Worked fine for 3+ years since I've had the car and all of sudden doesnt work now. All that reads on the screen is, "please wait downloading new software......Please insert disc." I've tried unplugging and pluggin the wires back in, reinserted the navi disc after cleaning it to no avail. I also tried unpluggin the battery which also failed.

So my choices are

1. Take it to the stealership, get it diagnosed and pay 67 dollars to see whats really up. Worst case scenario pay them 800 dollars to fix the module (this was the estimate they gave me.)

2. Send it to Alpine, and have them diagnose it and if need be pay 300 something dollars if it needs to be fixed

3. Gamble on buying the 2012 navigation disc for 150, catch is...If it fails to change anything, I'm stuck with the 150 dollar disc (no refunds)

It sucks because I don't know if its just a simple mishap with the navi disc...or the actual module itself...its a difference between 150 to 800 dollars. What should i do? Anything else I should try that i haven't that might save wallet
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 AM
SSM FTW

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
You don't know anybody that would lend you a disk? Is your disk white? If so, you can find them on Craigslist.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
That sucks...try pressing menu, cancel, and map at the same time..then try to reload the software if you can...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by luder917
You don't know anybody that would lend you a disk? Is your disk white? If so, you can find them on Craigslist.
Yep, its white. Unfortunately no I dont. I've tried searching on CL, nothing is coming up for these disc

Originally Posted by 1supafly
That sucks...try pressing menu, cancel, and map at the same time..then try to reload the software if you can...
I've tried and it doesnt load to the menu...which is making me very worried if its actual unit thats broken. However my reverse cam is working fine? So im wondering if my unit is a half working one? I dont know lol...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Instructor

check this thread out - https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/2nd-gen-tsx-tsb-information-789358/
I dont know what year yours is, but theres a recall for an '11...
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
check this thread out - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789358
I dont know what year yours is, but theres a recall for an '11...
Not a recall - a technical service belletin.

A recall is where a manufacturer sends a letter to every customer telling them to bring their car in for a safety related defect.

A TSB is a document advising the dealership staff on how to deal with a particular problem. TSBs are generated when a manufacturer discovers a repeating issue - valid or not This could be as simple as telling them how to explain to customers that condensation in headlights may be normal to something as major as a "hidden warranty" on a catalytic converter.

TSBs explain to the dealership how to deal with problems, how to bill for them and if that particular TSB pertains to out of warranty vehicles - for example - there was a TSB on loose exterior rearview mirrors on the '05 RL. The TSB explained how to handle out of warranty repairs since most '05 RLs were out of warranty when that particular issue was identified.

In essence, a TSB says to the dealer "we've been getting lots of complaints about xyz. This bulletin tells you how to deal with it or how to fix when a customer comes in." Sometimes out of warranty cars are addressed (hence the "hidden warranty") and sometimes they are not.

This is far different from a recall.

The TSB links are all broken as they pointed to a site since secured. You can go to NHTSA to find any TSBs pertaining to your cars. Make sure to check the "show full info" box to get a summary of the TSB. The generic name is TSB. Some manufacturers have their own names with BMW's SIB (Service Information Bulletin) but they are all the same thing.

Last edited by ceb; 03-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Instructor

^^thats what i meant lol ..and the site does work, you just need to follow the instructions at the top of the page...
The following users liked this post:
ceb (03-02-2012)

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
^^thats what i meant lol ..and the site does work, you just need to follow the instructions at the top of the page...
You expect me to read instructions?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Instructor

bad!! bad ceb!! haha
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Out of all of your options, fighta, I'd pay the $300 some dollars for Alpine to fix it. It's $150 for the disk and you (and I both) think it won't work. At least $300 for Alpine to fix is not money wasted.

I will PM you an alternate solution to your disk problem, though.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Extremely obvious question that I'm sure you haven't mentioned for a very good reason, but are you out of warranty? Has it been 4 years or have you hit the mileage?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymous99
Extremely obvious question that I'm sure you haven't mentioned for a very good reason, but are you out of warranty? Has it been 4 years or have you hit the mileage?
If he's been to the Dealer and they already quoted him $800.00... come on man.

I'm not sure if Alpine will let you send it to them, I work for a dealer and this issue (Navi, Radio/CD player or Display inop) are all handled the same way. We'll diagnose the issue (charge you to have one of our techs to check out the issue and confirm it is the unit and not something else). After that we would remove the unit and send it in to get repaired by the manufacture, who ever that may be. Which can range anywhere from $60.00-$500.00 (could be more haven't seen over $500.00) our cost, which is considered a sublet, all dealers have a different way of marking up a sublet either way were doing the work (having a relationship with the manufacture, shipping, tracking and receiving and storing your navi unit) and should get paid for it. Then once it gets back (they are always slow as hell usually 3-5 weeks sometimes more) we'll call you set up an appointment and you'll be charged the repair (sublet) and for a tech to install/confirm its working.

There is no information provided from Acura on how to disassemble diagnose or repair any radio/cd player, Navi unit or Navi Display. It has to be sent out the the manufacture for diagnostics, parts and repairs.

This is the best way and most dealers back up anything that's done at their dealer for 1 year or 12 months.

Or you can take your chances and buy a used unit from a salvage yard or ebay and see what happens. Best bet bring it to the dealer and do it right.

New Navi units are around $3000.00 without the disc...

Almost every dealer will offer a aftermarket extended warranty upon purchase of a new or uesd vehcle, they come in handy in times like this. I'm sure you somewhere in your paperwork there's a paper signed by you declining this type of warranty...