Possible replacement for 2010 TSX Base Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013 | 11:54 PM
Advanced

Exclamation Possible replacement for 2010 TSX Base Sedan

I am one of the several happy campers who has been extremely pleased with my roughly 4 year old CBP TSX Base sedan. I have had a virtually trouble-free run with around $38k miles. I had considered and evaluated many other options at the time of buying this car and thought this car ticked all the right boxes at the right price.

I have had a new car itch a few times in the past year or so and came really close to buying a TSX Tech Wagon or TL SH-AWD but was dissuaded by lack of engine/transmission and cabin tech. Currently, there is no desirable car in the Acura stable that would replace my TSX. There have been no news on the TLX and I think it may be priced out of my range. I love the size, handling, economy and overall packaging of the car but would love to have a slight bump in power at around $35k. I have been looking at the following options:
  • Audi A4 (+Looks +Performance -Price -Reliability)
  • BMW X1 (+Near Wagon practicality and performance -Reliability)
  • Cadillac ATS (+Performance, Handling -Practicality)
  • Mazda 6 (Not driven yet but heard rave reviews everywhere)
  • Chrysler 300S (+Looks +Tech -Handling -V6 Economy)
  • Merc CLA (+European dynamics -Practicality)
  • Volvo V60 Wagon (Expected Jan 2014 +Wagon +Drive-train choices)

Can I ask all you fellow A-Ziners to weigh in on the replacement options and share your suggestions?

The other option for me is to pay off the car in another 12 months and have some extra cash in the bank every month.
Old 12-17-2013 | 01:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by goodhed
I am one of the several happy campers who has been extremely pleased with my roughly 4 year old CBP TSX Base sedan. I have had a virtually trouble-free run with around $38k miles. I had considered and evaluated many other options at the time of buying this car and thought this car ticked all the right boxes at the right price.

I have had a new car itch a few times in the past year or so and came really close to buying a TSX Tech Wagon or TL SH-AWD but was dissuaded by lack of engine/transmission and cabin tech. Currently, there is no desirable car in the Acura stable that would replace my TSX. There have been no news on the TLX and I think it may be priced out of my range. I love the size, handling, economy and overall packaging of the car but would love to have a slight bump in power at around $35k. I have been looking at the following options:

Can I ask all you fellow A-Ziners to weigh in on the replacement options and share your suggestions?

The other option for me is to pay off the car in another 12 months and have some extra cash in the bank every month.
if i was a year away from it being paid off, i'd pay it off and save up for a weekend toy. i see you're in queens, def nice to have a 4cyl that is peppy enough, good on gas, and luxury enough inside and nice looking on the out.

best bet? wait for super/turbo to come about for the car, and toss that in there. it'll add a few thousand bucks to the car and you'll keep the car you like and get just a lil more power.

if you are set on a new car(i traded in my 2010 TSX for a 2013 TSX, but to each their own), i was personally looking at the CLA, i thought it was gorgeous and had alot of potential, but its release was too far for me when i got the 13 in march. the rest, i dunno if they are worth the money... im not into the entry level BMW/Audi/Benz options. nice cars, but bang for the buck, its the interchangeable badge that you pay for.
The following users liked this post:
goodhed (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013 | 07:43 AM
wagon owner

Wagon owner here. Before i got it i had that same new car itch for a couple years but couldn't find a vehicle that seemed to be a worthy successor to my trusted 4runner...so i just kept racking up trouble free miles (200k+) until the tsx wagon came out and won me over.

The most practical advice is don't pull trigger until youre very confident the new car and its pricetag far outweighs your old reliable soon paid off one.

Especially w low miles on yours.
goodhed (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013 | 09:20 AM
Instructor

Hi, I am in the very similar situation. I have my 2010 2.4 euro for about 4 years now, and I have an itch too.

However.

I spend probably hunderds of hours on forums and reviews, and I just don't see any car I would like to own for this kind of money. Frustrating! I think that there are mainly two reasons for that: a) TSX is very good "compromise all round" car b) most cars are shit

Obviously everything is about your needs. For example, my next will be RWD and not FWD. I just don't want FWD car any more, and this is a huge filter on a new cars. Also, I want at least 6 cyl....

My plan is probably sticking with TSX and saving for S2000. After that, I will sell both and buy NSX
Old 12-17-2013 | 09:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by HHCZ
Hi, I am in the very similar situation. I have my 2010 2.4 euro for about 4 years now, and I have an itch too.

However.

I spend probably hunderds of hours on forums and reviews, and I just don't see any car I would like to own for this kind of money. Frustrating! I think that there are mainly two reasons for that: a) TSX is very good "compromise all round" car b) most cars are shit

Obviously everything is about your needs. For example, my next will be RWD and not FWD. I just don't want FWD car any more, and this is a huge filter on a new cars. Also, I want at least 6 cyl....

My plan is probably sticking with TSX and saving for S2000. After that, I will sell both and buy NSX
3.8 v6 2013 genesis coupe would put a big smile on your face.
Old 12-17-2013 | 09:24 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

The fit and finish and build quality of the genesis is some ass though. Get a G37!
Old 12-17-2013 | 09:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iCrap
The fit and finish and build quality of the genesis is some ass though. Get a G37!
not the 2013, they fixed it up better, plus a new genesis v6 is less expensive than the g37 and outperforms it in a straight line or twisties

I have a 2013 r-spec and that 350hp v6 rustles my jimmies for sure

Last edited by BattleofXs; 12-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2013 | 11:21 AM
Instructor

Good tips guys.
Genesis might be very good, bud I just can't stand the badge & I don't like the styling.

G37 or 370Z were my "top" tips when I was searching for the new car. They are great also in other views, like that they have Hydraulic PS and not Electric. I just don't like the styling of both of these cars. I like more "sharp" and "edgy" design like the TSX, and I don't like much that "curvy" and "bulky" design like Nissan/Infinity does. It is very shame tho, because technicaly these cars are what I want!
Old 12-17-2013 | 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

maybe lease a 2014 IS250. i originally wanted the IS350 but could not afford it so i settled with the tsx and quite satisfied so far.

Old 12-17-2013 | 11:37 AM
Instructor

the new generation's front is wtf i think. But I considered the previous one. In Europe we have 250 and ISF. I have driven both, 250 is slow and ISF is out of the pricerange. I could import 350, but there is only available with AT Interior is much smaller than TSX, but it has more premium feel, very nice cabin thats for sure.

I also tried BMW 330i E90 and e92. I really wanted those cars, but this generation of BMWs is unbeliveable low-cost... The same with E60. I tried them three times, I wanted to buy it very much, but I just couldn't. Then I sit back to my TSX and I was like aaaaaaaaah.
Old 12-17-2013 | 11:37 AM
it's a car-drive it

used to get the new car urge until I bought my 06 tsx, new 7 years ago. Love not having a car payment, car insurance has gone done due to car's age, still going problem free. New cars grow old fast and the novelty wears off.
Old 12-17-2013 | 12:09 PM
Cruisin'

2009 Acura TSX 0-60 mph 6.6 Quarter mile 15.1
2010 Acura TSX V6 0-60 mph 6.0 Quarter mile 14.5

2014 Lexus IS 250 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter Mile 15.4
2014 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 4.9 Quarter Mile 13.4

lol tsx is faster than the 250
Old 12-17-2013 | 02:18 PM
Old Guy

Pretty sure the only car on your list that would come in anywhere near $35K is the Mazda (and that should be considerably less), and maybe the Chrysler (a Chrysler.... really?). The others may advertise at that price point, but I think you'd miss some of the goodies your TSX provides if you bought something that stripped.
Old 12-17-2013 | 03:32 PM
Racer

genesis 3.8 GT will be well under 35 and outperform all the cars listed and possibly just as many options

PS: warranty.
nj2pa2nc (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013 | 04:37 PM
5th Gear

I would just pay off the TSX then maybe test drive some others if you still have an itch that's my .02 cents
The following 2 users liked this post by honda93a:
goodhed (12-17-2013), nj2pa2nc (12-17-2013)
Old 12-18-2013 | 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Given that you live in NYC, I would get a truck that can easily handle pot holes. You can get a certified GLK for under $35K easily. The new RDX fits into that mold as well.
Old 12-18-2013 | 08:13 AM
Racer

RDX likes to drink gas though
Old 12-29-2013 | 11:53 AM
Racer

I test drove the Genesis, and the shifter feels like it was made by FisherPrice. Once you drive a Honda manual you are spoiled for life.
Old 12-29-2013 | 01:39 PM
Safety Car

take a look at the ford fusion/taurus(i love the new styling of both actually) and the top of the line Dodge Dart
Old 01-10-2014 | 05:26 AM
Instructor

What about GT86/FRS/BRZ. A bit faster then TSX 2.4 and it should be much more fun for the same money.
You can also have S2000 AP2 for this cash, and would realy like to have one, but I am considered about safety. In general I don't like open tops, and S2K has so small rollbars that your head is sticking out of them. And aftermarket cages totaly spoil the looks. So in the end GT86 could be an alternative.
Old 01-10-2014 | 09:43 AM
Team Owner

The A4 is nice, but expensive.
The X1 suffers from the same issue of being expensive, but is not as nice as the A4.
The ATS drives well, but unless you are willing to spend a lot on options, the interior is pretty meh. (See my review here)
The Mazda6 is a very nice car, but lacks the luxury brand name, which matters to some people (See my review here)
The Chrysler 300 is HUGE, but a surprisingly nice car (See my review here)
The CLA feels pretty pokey from behind the wheel and the price goes through the roof quickly if you want any options (See my review here)
I too am excited about the new V60 and think it will be a nice car. Mostly, I want to see that it can live up to the new higher fuel economy numbers Volvo advertised.
Someone mentioned the IS250, which is a competent car, but only if you like the interior and it is still a little cramped inside. (See my review here)
Someone also brought up the G37, which I actually think is not a bad idea. You can get a steal on the G37 these days, as in it leases for around the same as a TSX.

All this to say, you have to figure out what fits your needs the best. If you do not need the extra space, the GTI and Ford Focus ST are both excellent compact hatchbacks and offer a lot of performance for the price.

Need more passenger space? Then the sedans you noted above all meet that requirement.

If you are open to used, look for a last generation A4 Avant.

Lots of options, and many of them good.
goodhed (01-13-2014)
Old 01-10-2014 | 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PyroDave
take a look at the ford fusion/taurus(i love the new styling of both actually) and the top of the line Dodge Dart
The Fusion is nice, but skip the Dart. That thing is apparently terrible.
Old 01-10-2014 | 10:27 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by briq456
I test drove the Genesis, and the shifter feels like it was made by FisherPrice. Once you drive a Honda manual you are spoiled for life.
having owned numerous vehicles with manual transmission I can not say Honda/acura is the best. It is good. Other's were better.
Old 01-10-2014 | 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
having owned numerous vehicles with manual transmission I can not say Honda/acura is the best. It is good. Other's were better.
I would be curious to hear what cars you thought were better. I have driven a lot of manuals this past year and have yet to find one as satisfying to shift as my TSX, much less the S2000.
ressling (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014 | 11:42 AM
Racer

I definitely liked my TSX and RSX shifting comfort better than the genesis, but the 6 speed in the genesis feels solid and less video-gamish, still smooth transition but less "numb"...it's no fun shifting when the motions are too smooth...like you're shifting an automatic
Old 01-10-2014 | 03:05 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I would be curious to hear what cars you thought were better. I have driven a lot of manuals this past year and have yet to find one as satisfying to shift as my TSX, much less the S2000.
IMO-the Hyundai sonata. My favorite of all time was our 83 Mitsubishi turbo diesel 4WD truck. wish they still made them.
Old 01-10-2014 | 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

IS250 looks great but is a waste of money. $36k+ MSRP for a 2.5L 205hp? You could have bought my Prelude for a fraction of the cost and gotten nearly the same performance.
Old 01-10-2014 | 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Agree with you re: TSX 6MT. I liked it even better than the TL 6MT.
Old 01-10-2014 | 07:15 PM
Advanced

I must be getting old but I am planning on replacing my '09 TSX with a 2015 RDX in around a year. The TSX will stay in the family though!
Old 01-13-2014 | 10:29 AM
Pro

I haven't driven any cars with a better MT than my 2010 TSX, but IMO the 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line's was about the same. The MT in the Focus ST is excellent too, but not as good as the TSX's.

I'm starting to think about replacing my TSX, and the lack of MT availability keeps some otherwise excellent cars out of the running (IS, Fusion with 2.0T). And some with MT are compromised in other important areas, like the 3 Series (awful steering, pricey options), ATS (CUE, tiny trunk, reportedly thrashy four), and A4 (not interested in VAG "reliability"). I've read Lexus will replace the IS250's tepid V6 with a punchy turbo four, and that could be the answer if it's available with MT. Of course, the TLX could be the ticket, and I guess we'll learn more this week.
Old 01-13-2014 | 01:19 PM
Advanced

Looking forward to the unveiling of TLX this week. I hope it's not a reflection of recent Acuras like the ILX or MDX and doesn't turns out to be a dud. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-13-2014 | 01:45 PM
Pro

Looking forward to the unveiling of TLX this week. I hope it's not a reflection of recent Acuras like the ILX or MDX and doesn't turns out to be a dud. Fingers crossed!
I have a feeling it will be a disappointment. I hope I am wrong thought.
Old 01-13-2014 | 10:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I haven't driven any cars with a better MT than my 2010 TSX, but IMO the 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line's was about the same. The MT in the Focus ST is excellent too, but not as good as the TSX's.

I'm starting to think about replacing my TSX, and the lack of MT availability keeps some otherwise excellent cars out of the running (IS, Fusion with 2.0T). And some with MT are compromised in other important areas, like the 3 Series (awful steering, pricey options), ATS (CUE, tiny trunk, reportedly thrashy four), and A4 (not interested in VAG "reliability"). I've read Lexus will replace the IS250's tepid V6 with a punchy turbo four, and that could be the answer if it's available with MT. Of course, the TLX could be the ticket, and I guess we'll learn more this week.
I disagree about the 328i as I found the shifter rather plasticky in its feel. I like the solidity of the Honda/Acura shifters when you slot them into gear. It feels like a rifle bolt sliding into place with a satisfying thunk.

I do agree with you about the lack of good manual transmission options. I am hoping the TLX continues to offer the manual and does a better job of packaging it than they did with the ILX.