Old timer from 2004 back for a visit on the forum...looking for 2nd generation TSX.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Old timer from 2004 back for a visit on the forum...looking for 2nd generation TSX.

Hi all,

WOW...it was 2004 when I last showed up on this forum. Back then I was looking for a TSX and I ended up with a 05 G35x. Now I am back, 8 years later and I am looking for a used 2nd generation TSX M/T Only. I've had 8 years of slushy box and in need of going back to M/T. If you guys don't mind me, can someone shed some light or threads for me regarding the different years from 09-12 and things I should look out for, etc. Any big changes between these 4 yrs? Probably looking for a 2010 (usually try to avoid the 1st year). Most of the colors should be fine except red or black (my G35 is black). How's maintenance on the TSX? I can do basic stuffs (oil changes, belts, yadda yadda).

Thank you all. I will start reading some of the threads and hopefully you guys can help me speed up my process of getting a used TSX.

Thanks...
Old 08-24-2012 | 07:55 AM
Intermediate

After reading a bit more on the forum it seems like 2011 is when there were minor front/rear changes. To be honest, I think the 09/10 front (grill patterns, fog light plate (non silver) actually looks better except that the silver acura grill pattern on the side is "thicker" than the 11/12. From the rear, the whiter tails also seem more appealing. Interior wise, I couldn't tell what was changed but heard 09 model has a bit more issues that were resolved starting in perhaps 10 or 11. Other than that, I am still skimming through the older threads.

I saw this ad. Wondering if a 2010 m/t with 22k miles for $22k is about right? It came off a lease and it's certified.

http://www.ramseyacura.com/certified...6a90bda1f.htm#

Thanks...for whomever that read my post.
Old 08-24-2012 | 02:28 PM
Drifting

Welcome back!

That looks like a decent deal. I'm sure you can negotiate the price a bit as well, since most dealerships are trying to get rid of their 09-12 to make room for the '13. I payed $19,000 for my 2009 i4 Auto w/ Tech Pkg & 42k. Kind of wish I went with the 6-Speed.

As far as major problems with these vehicles, there really aren't any. Besides the rotors warping at an early age, so i'd check those out before purchasing.

Hope to see you in one soon! Good luck with your search.
Old 08-24-2012 | 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Certified with 22k for $22k sounds pretty good. For that ebony interior, the difference between it and 2011/12 models is the white stitching and the interior trim. I think the 2011/12 non-techs have a sort of faux wood trim. Personally, I like the interior trim on the older models, and the white stitching on the newer models.

If you're into modding, the 2010 has more options with regard to turbo and tuning and all of that. I think they recently came out with kpro or kflash or something like that for the 2010.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2012 | 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
Welcome back!

That looks like a decent deal. I'm sure you can negotiate the price a bit as well, since most dealerships are trying to get rid of their 09-12 to make room for the '13. I payed $19,000 for my 2009 i4 Auto w/ Tech Pkg & 42k. Kind of wish I went with the 6-Speed.

As far as major problems with these vehicles, there really aren't any. Besides the rotors warping at an early age, so i'd check those out before purchasing.

Hope to see you in one soon! Good luck with your search.
Thanks!! Good to know. 19k and you get Nav as well...sounds good to me. Does all the TSX come with memory seats?

Last edited by mikeee2; 08-24-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2012 | 04:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Certified with 22k for $22k sounds pretty good. For that ebony interior, the difference between it and 2011/12 models is the white stitching and the interior trim. I think the 2011/12 non-techs have a sort of faux wood trim. Personally, I like the interior trim on the older models, and the white stitching on the newer models.

If you're into modding, the 2010 has more options with regard to turbo and tuning and all of that. I think they recently came out with kpro or kflash or something like that for the 2010.

Good luck!
Not going to turbo it but would probably consider an intake and perhaps axel back mufflers just to get some noise. I don't like to drive cars that are too quiet nor do I want any rice boy fart cans. My G35 makes enough sound for my taste from the factory. Any good axel back (mufflers) for a little bit more throaty noise?

Other than that, maybe can look into summer tires, yadda...but I need to get the car first and there is not that many M/T's around for sale.
Old 08-24-2012 | 06:07 PM
Drifting

Yes, all 2nd gen TSX's come with memory seats.

Also, another difference I noticed while driving a Loaner 2011 is that the 11-12 have hvac vents on the back of the arm rest, and a fan to cool the inside of the arm rest.

I thought this was pretty cool because my iPod gets pretty hot in there while it's plugged in. Not a deal breaker though, IMO.
Old 08-24-2012 | 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Yes, all 2nd gen TSX's come with memory seats.

Also, another difference I noticed while driving a Loaner 2011 is that the 11-12 have hvac vents on the back of the arm rest, and a fan to cool the inside of the arm rest.

I thought this was pretty cool because my iPod gets pretty hot in there while it's plugged in. Not a deal breaker though, IMO.
So the 09/10 does not have rear vents for passenger? When you bring the car to acura for tsb/recall you get loaners? At infiniti, they offer loaners.
Old 08-28-2012 | 09:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeee2
So the 09/10 does not have rear vents for passenger? When you bring the car to acura for tsb/recall you get loaners? At infiniti, they offer loaners.
No rear vents in the 09/10, it was only offered in the 11/12. And it depends on the kind of service you're in for. If it can be done the same day, they'll make you wait. If not, they'll offer you a loaner free of charge. You just have to bring it back with a full tank.
Old 08-28-2012 | 10:36 AM
Intermediate

No rear vents in the 09/10, it was only offered in the 11/12. And it depends on the kind of service you're in for. If it can be done the same day, they'll make you wait. If not, they'll offer you a loaner free of charge. You just have to bring it back with a full tank.
That sucks. I was thinking "finally I'll have rear vents for passengers". Oh well.

Wow so if it takes 5 or 6 hours they'll make you wait? That's messed up.
Old 08-28-2012 | 01:50 PM
Drifting

That sucks. I was thinking "finally I'll have rear vents for passengers". Oh well.

Wow so if it takes 5 or 6 hours they'll make you wait? That's messed up.
Yep. Most of the time, that's the case. I sat in the waiting room for 4.5 hours one time just to get my windshield and roof mouldings replaced under warranty.

Fun times.
Old 08-28-2012 | 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Yep. Most of the time, that's the case. I sat in the waiting room for 4.5 hours one time just to get my windshield and roof mouldings replaced under warranty.

Fun times.
When I used to take my car to Infiniti, I would say anything more than 2 or 3 hours and I would of left with a loaner.
Old 08-30-2012 | 02:11 PM
Drifting

When I used to take my car to Infiniti, I would say anything more than 2 or 3 hours and I would of left with a loaner.
Well it probably varies by dealership. This is just how my dealership operates... can't speak for every dealership in the US.. lol.
Old 09-06-2012 | 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Tested a 09 m/t certified tsx today. It came off a lease so I am not sure if it has anything to do with it.

http://www.acurabayshore.com/certifi...41825d636e.htm

Here is my review. The shifter felt like the typical honda. Super easy to drive (no brainer). The gas pedal felt weird to me. Hard to explain. I was kinda surprise the throws are long. It didn't feel like that on the 1st generation tsx I have driven. The steering was also light and a bit loose (perhaps skinny tire?). I made a turn, shift and I can feel the tire was trying to grip the pavement and wobble around (loose). As for the power, it felt pretty good for a 4 cylinder so that part is fine. Brakes seem fine as well. For all the m/t tsx out there, is the steering really this loose? and the shifts that long? If I would to end up with a tsx, a short shifter kit has got to be installed. Definitely bigger tires to beef up the steering feel. Other than that, the car was kinda beaten up inside for a 4 yr old car (probably because it's lease). The trunk was deeper than I thought. The "ivory creamy" white didn't look as good as pure white (11/12 model).
Old 09-06-2012 | 07:06 PM
Drifting

IMO, if you don't absolutely LOVE the car, don't buy it. Doesn't sound like you were too pleased with it.

As far as the steering goes, it is that way on most if not all TSX's. At least my '09 and another '09 that I test drove have had the 'loose steering' feel.
Old 09-06-2012 | 07:49 PM
Intermediate

IMO, if you don't absolutely LOVE the car, don't buy it. Doesn't sound like you were too pleased with it.

As far as the steering goes, it is that way on most if not all TSX's. At least my '09 and another '09 that I test drove have had the 'loose steering' feel.
I think it's still one of the vehicles on my buy list but would have to read up some threads about this loose steering feel. I certainly didn't like that feeling and appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-06-2012 | 08:05 PM
Drifting

I think it's still one of the vehicles on my buy list but would have to read up some threads about this loose steering feel. I certainly didn't like that feeling and appreciate your feedback.
I was refering to that specific TSX that you test drove. Sounds like it wasn't cared for properly from what you said (beat up interior). Why don't you look into the SE? I'm sure they must've updated the steering in those, as well as the shifter.

Just my
Old 09-06-2012 | 08:53 PM
Intermediate

I was refering to that specific TSX that you test drove. Sounds like it wasn't cared for properly from what you said (beat up interior). Why don't you look into the SE? I'm sure they must've updated the steering in those, as well as the shifter.

Just my
se = 12...that would be out of my budget. That would be buying new.
Old 09-06-2012 | 09:23 PM
Drifting

se = 12...that would be out of my budget. That would be buying new.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Same here.
Old 09-07-2012 | 12:02 AM
Safety Car

mikee, you talkin to anyone at ramsey? if not yet? talk to stu, he's the asst sales manager, just tell him Dave Gilels aka pyrodave sent ya. im actually goin there tom morning. gotta take the MDX at 8:30 for service. shoot me a PM if ya need
Old 09-07-2012 | 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PyroDave
mikee, you talkin to anyone at ramsey? if not yet? talk to stu, he's the asst sales manager, just tell him Dave Gilels aka pyrodave sent ya. im actually goin there tom morning. gotta take the MDX at 8:30 for service. shoot me a PM if ya need
Thanks. I didn't stop by Ramsey yet but their inventory didn't show any used m/t tsx though.
Old 09-07-2012 | 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Read an article about the steering on the 2nd generation.
http://www.cars.com/acura/tsx/2010/e...s/?revid=55647

Here's the quick highlight.

"My biggest issue with the new TSX is its steering feel and feedback. Acura has replaced the hydraulic steering system in the previous car with a new electric power-steering system that doesn't offer very inspiring oncenter feel; unlike many sport sedans, it doesn't take much effort to turn the wheel left or right from its straight-ahead position, which means the driver has to pay extra attention to something that doesn't normally require any thought. By comparison, the G35 has solid oncenter steering feel that requires the driver to put some effort into turning the wheel. The previous TSX had this quality to some degree with its hydraulic system, but it's essentially gone in the new model."
Old 09-07-2012 | 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Anything I forgot to mention is, to get to Reverse you have to pull it all the way to the right (if there were 8 gears), Reverse would be 8th gear. Of all the 6mt I've driven, they are a push down gear on 1st or 6th.
Old 09-07-2012 | 05:11 PM
Drifting

Anything I forgot to mention is, to get to Reverse you have to pull it all the way to the right (if there were 8 gears), Reverse would be 8th gear. Of all the 6mt I've driven, they are a push down gear on 1st or 6th.
That's how it is on all Honda and Acura vehicles. Well at least my old Civic was that way. Most German cars are push down.
Old 09-07-2012 | 06:36 PM
Intermediate

That's how it is on all Honda and Acura vehicles. Well at least my old Civic was that way. Most German cars are push down.
Interesting. Good to know.