Car wouldnt start this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car wouldnt start this morning

the engine was turning over and sounded like its at the edge of starting but nothing. turned off all the electronics and still nothing. I brought my wifes car to work and will head back during lunch to try to jump it to see if it is the battery.

I havent been driving it recently, but i drove it last thursday all day with no trouble at all, and its not cold in va either.

what else could it be and how should i go about it?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
were the dash lights and domes flickering by chance as it was trying to start? how about a slower then normal turn over for the car to start recently?

it could very well be the battery and it doesn't need to be cold for it to die an untimely death.

an almost 3 yr OEM old battery could very well die.

i had 2 OEM batteries in my TL...both started showing signs of dying after 3 yrs (1st was replaced under warranty for free, the 2nd...i said the hell with it and went aftermarket). the OEM batteries maybe listed as a 100 mos battery, very rarely does anyone actually get to 100 mos. on avg they seem to die in 3-4 yrs. a few will get 5-6 yrs out of them.

first things first, get the battery checked out, then go from there. you can either get it load tested for free at the local auto store, or just take it straight to the dealer and let them deal with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Our OEM batteries aren't that great to begin with, so that's probably it.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Racer

thats my original assumption. Been reading the forums long enough to see that this battery has cause a lot of problems.

I am in VA now, but my main dealer is in PA. would i have any trouble if i show up at radley acura here and have them check it right away? and if it doesnt start? how good is the acura roadside?

I also live right across the street from a honda dealer. would they replace under the warranty? would you go there? or acura only?

thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
mine wouldn't start one day, 2011 40k miles completely dead.
I trickle charged it for a day and then took it to the dealer

they said it tested fine, only a matter of time before it dies
tsx batteries are weak
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
LOL i have the same problem this morning....had to work from home

was gonna go pickup a battery since its most likely the cause even though a jump didnt work (all the accessories still work though). I might just have roadside come tow the car to the dealer since the battery is under warranty and why pay for something when it can be covered right?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Racer

just tried it again and it started. after a bit of struggle it started on the first try without a jump but took a couple of extra seconds. i waited a few jun and tried again and it turned on fine.
Could it be a one time thing? or should i get the battery and starter checked.

when it did start the first time, there was smoke coming from the exhaust? is that normal after struggling to start? I'm guessing it was burning extra fuel or oil. did clear up slowly.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
its just a bad acura battery.

go to autozone or pepboys and get a better battery. you should be fine from there..

i would not recommend you to go back to acura just to get another shitty battery and have this happen again
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^this. And its probably unburned fuel or built up condensation from sitting.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
its just a bad acura battery.

go to autozone or pepboys and get a better battery. you should be fine from there..

i would not recommend you to go back to acura just to get another shitty battery and have this happen again
+1 I wouldn't either...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hjahmad
when it did start the first time, there was smoke coming from the exhaust? is that normal after struggling to start? I'm guessing it was burning extra fuel or oil. did clear up slowly.
the tow guy came and charged my battery for a few minutes with a battery jumper and the car started right up. I got a huge cloud of smoke too, I think its the unburnt fuel.

I think I'm going to just pickup an optima or durlast gold from autozone later. Don't want to argue with my local dealer (which sucks ass) to warranty my battery. The extra 100 saved is prolly not worth the hassle for another shitty battery
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

OP- you would need to go to the acura dealer to warranty the battery.

they shouldn't give you a problem.

as far as getting another crappy OEM battery...might as well get a free one to go another 2-3 yrs...then replace with aftermarket since the 2nd OEM battery will not be covered by warranty, it will be prorated if you choose to go with another OEM battery (which would be battery #3).
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
ok this is too weird. Mine didn't start this morning either. What's that like three of us on the same day? I've had this happen only once before but it started on the second try. This time I needed to give it a little gas on the second try. Gonna have the battery tested next time it's in
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

as far as getting another crappy OEM battery...might as well get a free one to go another 2-3 yrs...then replace with aftermarket since the 2nd OEM battery will not be covered by warranty, it will be prorated if you choose to go with another OEM battery (which would be battery #3).
that was my thought originally too. but the oem battery never really had enough cold cranking amps in my opinion. It would never turn over immediately when it was under 30F even when the car was new. plus the hassle of going to the dealership and waiting really didnt seem like it would be worth it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^yeah, i hear you. the battery in the accord we have takes it's sweet time trying to start up the car when it's cold out. oddly the battery in the MDX starts right up.

thankfully, my dealer experiences haven't been as awful as some others have experienced. most of mine have actually been quite pleasant.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
When I was getting the annual state nc inspection at the local acura dealer in 2010 they replaced the battery free under the warranty. They told me it tested low even tho I had no problems with it. Replacement battery still excellent. Car starts right up even when it was parked outside in the cold. Maybe a battery tender is needed.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Racer

thanks for the suggestions.
sorry for the late reply. work has been crazy this week with some layoffs.

i got the car to radley, but i didnt seem to have any trouble the rest of the day. they tested the battery and it failed. so i got it replaced free. figure ill take this one. only have 4k left till my original warranty expires.

Question for you all. I read in the manual that any parts that acura installs, automatically gets its own 1 year warranty. but the dealer says it is not for the battery. is that true?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by hjahmad
thanks for the suggestions.
sorry for the late reply. work has been crazy this week with some layoffs.

i got the car to radley, but i didnt seem to have any trouble the rest of the day. they tested the battery and it failed. so i got it replaced free. figure ill take this one. only have 4k left till my original warranty expires.

Question for you all. I read in the manual that any parts that acura installs, automatically gets its own 1 year warranty. but the dealer says it is not for the battery. is that true?
Unlike the regular warranty which is 4 yrs/50k miles the original battery has a 4 yr/unlimited mileage warranty. When the battery was replaced on my car it was 3+yrs with over 90k miles.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just replaced mine Monday as well, car turned over slowly and would not start. Replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Our OEM batteries aren't that great to begin with, so that's probably it.
i have a 2010, and this has happened to me probably five or six times, all when starting the car for a second time, after taking a ~5 minute initial drive and shutting the car off (like going to the grocery store a few miles away, running in and out, and then not being able to start the car then).

the car doesn't sound like it's struggling, which to me wouldn't indicate a weak and/or close-to-dead battery. the starter sounds strong, the lights are not weak, etc.

i usually let it sit for 10 seconds, then try again, and it takes maybe five seconds of trying to start before it does indeed catch. it's weird, but the dealer (obviously) couldn't replicate it. the battery tested out fine, though.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
i have a 2010, and this has happened to me probably five or six times, all when starting the car for a second time, after taking a ~5 minute initial drive and shutting the car off (like going to the grocery store a few miles away, running in and out, and then not being able to start the car then).

the car doesn't sound like it's struggling, which to me wouldn't indicate a weak and/or close-to-dead battery. the starter sounds strong, the lights are not weak, etc.

i usually let it sit for 10 seconds, then try again, and it takes maybe five seconds of trying to start before it does indeed catch. it's weird, but the dealer (obviously) couldn't replicate it. the battery tested out fine, though.
check that your terminals are tight and clean