2011 TSX - first Acura hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
2011 TSX - first Acura hybrid

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/21/r...id-powertrain/
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...M04/301189931#

Closely following Honda CEO Takanobu Ito's admission at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this month that the Acura brand would soon jump head-first into the deep end of the hybrid waters comes a report from Automotive News suggesting that the entry-level TSX sedan would be the first such model from Honda's luxury brand so equipped.

AN's source is an unnamed Acura dealer who says the hybrid technology will grace the TSX's engine bay starting in 2011. TSX not your cup of tea? Fret not. John Mendel, American Honda Motor Co. executive vice president for auto sales, says that there will be more Acura hybrid models to follow – though, for what it's worth, there won't be any V8 engines any time soon.

Ironically in light of Acura's recent addition of giant metal beaks, company spokesman Gary Robinson adds, "The idea of the big, bad luxury sedan with the shiniest grille has become a little uncouth." Robinson adds that Acura isn't in the business of "making compromises," insinuating that future cars from the automaker will combine fuel efficiency with appropriate performance and luxury.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
i wish it was the european turbo diesel instead lol. great find any how
Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
no thank you. if i want a hybrid i'd buy a toyota. sorry honda, but toyota's hybrid system already has an excellent track record and we've all seen what the Accord hybrid were like. besides, fuel efficiency is not the major concern with the TSX, the base four cylinder is already getting close to 30 mpg on highway. so hybrid will improve that figure to 32,33 but the price will be up by at least 3k, what for? just put that RDX turbo four in the TSX and upgrade the suspension and steering then i'll be the first one at my dealership to place my order.

p.s. seems Honda wants to cover up a lot of their shortcomings in their lineup by offering hybrid to all models. even the already thrifty Fit, a Fit hybrid? an even slower Fit with a minimal gain in mpg? give me a break.

Last edited by kevTL888; 01-21-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do not want.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Their source is an unnamed Acura dealer?

I think I will wait for confirmation from Acura itself before believing this. Not that I don't believe it might be true, but we all know the dealers don't really know anything.

In addition, if they are going to use the IMA technology in this vehicle, it won't be worth it. The IMA system does not provide a big enough jump in fuel economy. Again, the Accord Hybrid that didn't work out....let's not repeat that fiasco.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:shakehead
This will NOT sell...when people think of luxury hybrid, they do not think of Acura, and when people want to get the TSX, they would opt for the cheapest version, not one with a 3-4k premium price tag. That's why there are so many base TSX sold, it's called entry-luxury for a reason.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Originally Posted by ttk5
i wish it was the european turbo diesel instead lol. great find any how
+1
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
it's called entry-luxury for a reason.
and even that is stretching the truth a bit

Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Ima

I really hope that this is the new duo battery IMA system that has been rumored. After the lackluster Insight debut, they need to have a more impressive hybrid.

If the Accord v6 could get 28/35, then the TSX could easily get over 30mpg combined but I doubt that that is enough. Among keeping the price down, they need to be able to have it run on electricity alone ...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb MotorAuthority

Just a few weeks ago at the 2010 Detroit Auto Show, Honda CEO Takanobu Ito said that Acura would be getting hybrids. Today a report indicates the 2011 Acura TSX could be the first.

Acura famously reversed its "Tier 1" aspirations last year, chopping rear-wheel drive and big V-8 engines from its lineup in favor of a greener, leaner approach to luxury. The hybrid decision it itself a flip-flop from an earlier stance--Acura once said it had no intent to compete with Lexus on hybrids.

But in Detroit, Ito said, "Last year, due to the business conditions and to focus on reducing CO2 emissions, we re-focused some of our product development resources. Now, I'm pleased to say that we will be adding hybrids to the Acura brand. And based on my history in developing several Acura products, I have strong confidence in our ability to advance the Acura brand." Today, Automotive News reports an anonymous source in Acura's dealer network has tipped the Acura TSX as the first such hybrid. So what might a hybrid TSX look like?

Honda is thought to be developing a full-hybrid platform for larger, heavier cars, and that could be what's headed to Acura in the long run. For the TSX, Acura's smallest current offering, a version of the Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) mild hybrid drivetrain found in cars like the Insight might be on tap. The less-efficient IMA system is already fully engineered for production and would likely be easier to fit into a timeframe for a 2011 model-year vehicle. Pairing the IMA system with the TSX platform would amount to a direct competitor with the Lexus HS 250h.

The 2010 Lexus HS 250h is rated at 184 combined horsepower, 147 of which come from an Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder gasoline engine. An electric hybrid system provides the rest of the power, putting its total output close to that of the 2.4-liter, 201-horsepower standard Acura TSX four-cylinder. If Honda were to pair any of its range of 1.8- to 2.0-liter four-cylinders, with the 13-horsepower IMA electric motor system, it would produce roughly similar power figures, and potentially match the Lexus's less-than-stellar fuel economy of 35 mpg city, 34 mpg highway. The 1.3-liter four-cylinder/IMA combination in the Honda Insight delivers an EPA-rated 40/43 mpg, leaving a bit of room to make a slightly more performance-oriented 2.0-liter four-cylinder variant for Acura. The current 3,400-pound four-cylinder TSX rates 21/30 mpg.

Two other hybrid models are expected to follow on the heels of the TSX.

Whatever the case, the rumor among insiders is that Honda may have something for us--in concept form only, of course--as early as the 2010 New York International Auto Show in April. Motor Authority will be there live covering the action, and we'll be sure to keep you posted if it does materialize.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Instructor

humm... If the IMA system really improves performance, I don't care if it's MPG remains the same as non-hybrid models.
Well, I still want that UK Accord Type-S engine.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Cruisin'

i'm sick of hearing Acura talk, but seeing no results. it seems that the big whigs are all over the place in terms of where they want to take the Acura brand. sigh...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Interesting rumor. Dealers are usually the last to know such things. Maybe the (unnamed) dealer read it on the internet and then got quoted by another internet site and viola!

I think that 2011 sounds kinda close. Its supposed to be a "new or revised model every 12 months" and with the ZDX now, and the Wagon for next Fall, that would make the next intro a 2011 car as a 2012 model.

Unless... the Wagon is going to the the Hybrid! We know they've been working on a new system so it's very possible it's nearly ready to roll. The wagon would be a good place to 'hide' the extra weight of the system, AND if they ran the motor(s) on the rear, the TSX could get "quasi" AWD. With two motors (as stated) it could even be SH-AWD. Bam! We have a new rumor and I like it!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX69
I really hope that this is the new duo battery IMA system that has been rumored. After the lackluster Insight debut, they need to have a more impressive hybrid.

If the Accord v6 could get 28/35, then the TSX could easily get over 30mpg combined but I doubt that that is enough. Among keeping the price down, they need to be able to have it run on electricity alone ...
As I recall, the new Hybrid system was referred to as a dual motor system, not dual battery. Not saying it won't have two, only that they didn't talk about batteries (that I recall)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Unless... the Wagon is going to the the Hybrid! We know they've been working on a new system so it's very possible it's nearly ready to roll. The wagon would be a good place to 'hide' the extra weight of the system, AND if they ran the motor(s) on the rear, the TSX could get "quasi" AWD. With two motors (as stated) it could even be SH-AWD. Bam! We have a new rumor and I like it!
If we're making up rumors, can we make up a new sport coupe with a hybrid turbo four, SH-AWD and a 6MT that's 3200lbs or less?

Personally I call bunk on the hybrid TSX rumor as I don't believe anything sourced from the dealers right now. But I don't understand the hybrid hate here either. It's a growing market and Acura needs to have something to play in it. The Lexus HS is absurdly overpriced, which means this is a great opportunity.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by darmok
If we're making up rumors, can we make up a new sport coupe with a hybrid turbo four, SH-AWD and a 6MT that's 3200lbs or less?
Ahh, but a good rumor has some basis in reality (Apple tablet?)
Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Ahh, but a good rumor has some basis in reality (Apple tablet?)
I personally think the tablet rumors started well before the project was a reality at Apple. There's a vocal group of users who have been agitating for a new slate device ever since the Newton was canceled. Who's to say that the rumor did not prompt reality in this case?

So, let's get on that new coupe rumor. If everyone believes hard enough, Acura may have no choice (but to release yet another bloated sport-utility vehicle and call it a coupe).
Old 01-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by darmok
I personally think the tablet rumors started well before the project was a reality at Apple. There's a vocal group of users who have been agitating for a new slate device ever since the Newton was canceled. Who's to say that the rumor did not prompt reality in this case?

So, let's get on that new coupe rumor. If everyone believes hard enough, Acura may have no choice (but to release yet another bloated sport-utility vehicle and call it a coupe).
Ha ha, too true! I still have a Newton MessagePad 2000 in the closet! I have no doubts that a coupe is coming, just not before the Wagon.