09 TSX or Boat on Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
TSX Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is safe to say that all 1G owners do not have the same opinion of the 2G TSX.
I placed my order yesterday for a PMM 6MT/Tech for example

People are simply going have different opinions on interiors, exteriors, performance, handling, etc. Magazine reviewers have had wildy different opinions on the steering for example as well. Hell, I have had wildly different opinions on the steering from test drive to test drive depending on type of road, transmission, ….

Every car needs constructive criticism. I have started a number of threads on things I don’t like about the 2G TSX (wheels, nav screen glare, etc.)

This thread isn’t constructive criticism. It is just mean spirited and stupid. IMO
Old 05-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by prballard
To each there own. What is up with that shift knob and oblong clock?

Infiniti sure has come a long way since the understated elegance of the J30.

To be far the exterior of the G35 is very nice, but you don't have to look at the exterior every day. You do the interior and that sucks!!!
I don't have a problem with that interior one bit. Niiiiice, IMHO. BTW, the layout is very similar to the '09 TSX (wonder where Honda got the idea), only the Infiniti has some differentiation between buttons in various quadrants (climate, radio, etc.). Maybe if you would say what is so fugly about that interior, I'd understand you.

Originally Posted by dom
Lets keep this civil people..
Ahhh, the sweet harmonious notes of several overrevving engines, gunning to the redline in perfect sync....
Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I don't have a problem with that interior one bit. Niiiiice, IMHO. BTW, the layout is very similar to the '09 TSX (wonder where Honda got the idea), only the Infiniti has some differentiation between buttons in various quadrants (climate, radio, etc.). Maybe if you would say what is so fugly about that interior, I'd understand you.

Ahhh, the sweet harmonious notes of several overrevving engines, gunning to the redline in perfect sync....
I litke the steering wheel on a G35. Hate the center console and no it looks nothing like the TSX IMO. The gauges are not as nice as either 1G or 2G TSX. What is up with the driver's pod?? It looks very detached from the dash (not literally, but strange).

Don’t get me wrong Infiniti makes nice cars. I wouldn’t buy one for the interior, but I am not going to tell someone else what to do or not do.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I litke the steering wheel on a G35. Hate the center console and no it looks nothing like the TSX IMO. The gauges are not as nice as either 1G or 2G TSX. What is up with the driver's pod?? It looks very detached from the dash (not literally, but strange).
Easily explained.
The Infiiti has power tilt and telescoping for the whole pod, not just the wheel like
some other cars. So that whole pod moves to suit your needs.
In the picture it is as far down and as far away from the dash as possible, how I
like it when I'm driving.

___
I LIKE the clock in the Infiniti.

I think it's kinda classy and I like it, so good for me.

the shift knob... well, I agree. I have a M45 shift knob on order now to replace
that one, I don't care too much for it. I don't consider the interior ugly, obviously,
I bought the car. I have to look at it while driving, and I like doing so.

so again, good for me. I bought a car I like.

the layout can be called similar to the new TSX, but very different where it
counts. The screen is better positioned and is touchable. The knob and buttons
are much nicer in quality and appearance. The materials are far superior in the G.
the shifter can still do SS, along with the paddle shifters. etc, etc.

it's like Infiniti actually put time, effort and such into it, where Acura missed the mark.

The G is very easy to use, and the naviagation is far superior. Both in the look and
in the functionality.
The hard drive is great, the stereo is great (Bose) I think they did a good job.

But whatever, I'm sure most all people would drive a G over a TSX if given the
chance.

Let's talk about Acura now.... k?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
But whatever, I'm sure most all people would drive a G over a TSX if given the
chance.
You seem like a good guy, but remarks like "But whatever, I'm sure most all people would drive a G over a TSX if given the chance. ". I mean really. How do you know what MOST other people think?

I can afford a G35. Don't want one, sorry.

The rest of your comments were very good and made sense, even though I didn't agree with all off them.

What a shame. I give up. This thread is joke.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
JDM Addict

so stop posting in it...
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Race Director

You seem like a good guy, but remarks like "But whatever, I'm sure most all people would drive a G over a TSX if given the chance. ". I mean really. How do you know what MOST other people think?

The rest of your comments were very good and made sense, even though I didn't agree with all off them.

hahahha

moral of story here is everyone has different tastes, but Infiniti > Acura

it's just that the TSX beats anything Infiniti by default because Infiniti doesn't have a car to compete with the TSX. The G35 competes with the TL.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
TSX Lover

so stop posting in it...
Why don't you ask that question about yourself.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by Mokos23
Infiniti > Acura.
In your opinion
Old 05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
JDM Addict

I'm not whining about this thread and about ... whatever you're whining about.

I like spirited discussions, I like arguments, I'm not personally offended.

Look:

I don't care what people think of me, I stopped that long ago.
I understand a few of you don't like my new G35s.
I understand those of you like your new TSX instead.

I get it.

I think most people agree with me.
Am I wrong? Maybe. But I don't think so. So what?

Lots of people would take a G35s over a TSX, seems simple when you look at the
stat sheets. Only kicker is gas mileage really. But whatever, to each their own.

I think most would agree if Infiniti put out a TSX competitor they would trounce Acura.
But I'm on a TSX website, and Acura website.
So of course I'll get flamed for thinking so... but I get over it, real fast.

Just do the same.
Don't take the internet personal or even too serious.
We'll all make our statements and have our opinions, we'll argue...

So if you give up, then give up. Get it over with.
Simple as that, give up or get over it.

No need to cry over nothing.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:13 PM
TSX Lover

Lots of people would take a G35s over a TSX, seems simple when you look at the
stat sheets. Only kicker is gas mileage really. But whatever, to each their own.

I think most would agree if Infiniti put out a TSX competitor they would trounce Acura.
But I'm on a TSX website, and Acura website.
So of course I'll get flamed for thinking so... but I get over it, real fast.

Just do the same.
Don't take the internet personal or even too serious.
We'll all make our statements and have our opinions, we'll argue...

So if you give up, then give up. Get it over with.
Simple as that, give up or get over it.
OK, I am not an Infiniti or Nissan fan. I have purchased Acuras since 92 and hope to continue into the future.

Your opinions are yours. They are not everyone in the world’s opinion and certainly not mine. Please try to remember that.

I am not speaking for anyone else here. I just wish you would do the same. I believe, but not speaking for him, that is what got Iceman upset as well.

I hope you enjoy your 08 TSX and your G35. I hope you have as much fun driving them as I have my 04 TSX and many other Acuras over the years.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Easily explained. ...
The Infiiti has power tilt and telescoping for the whole pod, not just the wheel like some other cars. So that whole pod moves to suit your needs. In the picture it is as far down and as far away from the dash as possible, how I like it when I'm driving.
[snip]
Ah. Memories of the original Izuzu Impulse.[1] ... Neat.

The thread drift and 'ing to the same ol' song about Infiniti or Lexux vs. Acura, or 1GEN vs. 2GEN TSX is getting way, way tiresome. Is the G35 the "boat" referred to here? No? Then why is it double-parked here revving its engine? I'm beginning to feel like every thread I read in this forum has the same subject , the topic line is just window dressing. Waah. Harumph. There. I feel better already.

[1] And by that I mean that very functional cluster with the innovative switches on each side, in easy finger's reach from the wheel.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Racer

My brother has a G37S and I'll be getting an 09 TSX. I agree the G37 is a very nice looking coupe. The sedan is a different story. Obviously, not much to compare between the TSX and G37. One's a coupe, one's a sedan. One has 1.3 more liters and 2 more cylinders under the hood. One costs $10k more. Give me some seat time with my TSX and then I can fairly compare the two.

This wait is killing me though!! It's supposed to be in this week! arggh
Old 05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
JDM Addict

Let's talk about Acura now.... k?

well I think this tread was meant to put the 1st gen against the 2nd gen TSX.
saying the 2nd gen feels like a boat or a Buick in comparison to the first.

the G35 argument can/should certainly die here...

but as for 1st vs. 2nd, I think that's what this is supposed to be about.

the bigger, wider, taller, heavier 2nd gen. TSX.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM

"09 TSX or Boat on Wheels"

So the 1GEN is a boat on wheels? Maybe I'm misreading. I'm closing on real estate tomorrow, moving Saturday, so I'm a wee bit distracted.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM
TSX Lover

"09 TSX or Boat on Wheels"

So the 1GEN is a boat on wheels? Maybe I'm misreading. I'm closing on real estate tomorrow, moving Saturday, so I'm a wee bit distracted.

Hey, wait I drive a 1G TSX. It is not a boat.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
D

No, it's asking whether the 09 TSX is a boat on wheels, not the 1st gen.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM
2nd Gear

have honda/acura put out a TSX type S, that will pack some power, then we will ALL fall in love with the 2nd gen.

but for now, ill stick with my 2005.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 PM

To the tune of "I haff a headache," "Maybe it's a tumor --", "It's NOT a TUMAH!"

"I haff an '09 TSX," "Maybe it's a boat --", "It's NOT an BOAT!"

There. Now I feel better. Back to cleaning the new home.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To the tune of "I haff a headache," "Maybe it's a tumor --", "It's NOT a TUMAH!"

"I haff an '09 TSX," "Maybe it's a boat --", "It's NOT an BOAT!"

There. Now I feel better. Back to cleaning the new home.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Old 05-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced

An Offer of Apology

Originally Posted by vip08
Why do so many posters fail to acknowledge the real problem with HMC? For those of us in the know--those who do more than read a spec sheet (like actually design, build and drive cars, for example)--we interpret an absolutely different message beyond Acura's recent--and previous--marketing campaign. The "answer" isn't quite as clear as you'd like to believe.

And for the record, talk to me, not down to me, next time. I'm not as stupid as you may incorrectly assume.
Interesting insight, and apologies if my comment appeared to be condescending. My patience has run out with the constant noise from Acura-sponsored posters on this board, and was not intended to be personal.

Edumunds.com brutally honest and scathing review of the 09 TSX has now been posted to place the coda on this sad chapter in Honda's history.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
The bottom line is that the 2G TSX is a very different car that has completely lost sight of what made the 1G so popular with enthusiasts. To the point, Acura has miscalculated the importance of the positive halo effect that enthusiasts provided to the 1G TSX as a credible alternative to Tier 1 sports sedans for those on a budget.
Acura sell more automatic TSX's to grandma's than they do manuals to enthusiasts.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 PM

The Honda Accord Euro and Acura TSX must be way freaking different this time around,
Because the '09 euro I drove was faster than the 1st gen, it handled better, Stayed flatter, and is a definate improvement. The chassis is WAY stiffer. The car feels a whole lot more planted than before.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by [R]isque'
The Honda Accord Euro and Acura TSX must be way freaking different this time around,
Because the '09 euro I drove was faster than the 1st gen, it handled better, Stayed flatter, and is a definate improvement. The chassis is WAY stiffer. The car feels a whole lot more planted than before.
There's no difference. The North American 2nd gen Acura TSX outperforms the 1st gen in every performance category too - while providing more interior space to boot. Car & Driver's full test in the latest issue bares this out (most of the other mags have only done preview drives so far). The haters complaining how they took the sportiness out of the car have obviously never driven one.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Although I havent driven the car, it seems that most are disappointed the TSX lost its "tsx-ness". It lost nimbleness and replaced it with a numbness at high speeds with a car that can veer off too easily. Its no longer the 4 door integra it replaced. It has a much stiffer chassis, better shocks, and wider tires than the previous model- all to help its handling and body roll. However, it feels heavier (to those who have driven it) so it doesnt seem to handle as well. I will know on my next trip for service how it actually drives.
However, I believe 100% that the 09 w/ A SPEC looks light years newer than my 05 and the tech package blows the pants off my car's stereo. Unfortunately, we're then looking at a 35K car that competes with the TL-s, G35, and IS 350.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Race Director

yes and the tsx is no longer value and luxury anymore
Old 06-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Racer

i'm not a fan of the new G35 center console either. I also noticed when I was in it that the door arm rests are made of a really cheap plastic. they really cheaped out on the doors.

the rest of the interior is not bad though. I used o have a G35 2005 model and I'd say the interior is much better than that one at least.

Unfrotunately the TSX even if it hasa nicer interior than a G35 (and i'd say that the real metal in the G35 is a plus, but I'd prefer the TSX overall look myself, maybe i just dont like the infiniti analog clock that much) , it is pretty much worse of a car in most other ways other than gas milage which it is excellent at (especially real world mpg).

I honestly think the Lexus IS is a very good competitor . I might get a new car in a year, and even though the Lexus IS will be a 4 year old design in a year, it will be the only car in its class tha tcombines japanese reliability, a fairly good interior and a pretty decent price (especially the IS250 at about 27k base now on carsdirect) with a touchscreen nav.

sadly that was what the 1G TSX was. I sort of envy 2006-2008 TSX owners. that might have been the pinnacle that was TSX (2005 owner myself, I sort of wish I had waited to get the bluetooth now that the damn california nanny law is about to come into effect)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 AM

+1 for nanny laws. This morning I was nearly rear-ended by a fool in a Saturn, weaving in and out of traffic, faster than most, and ... shaving with an electric razor. I'd have paid today's earnings to see him careen off the road.

yes and the tsx is no longer value and luxury anymore
Sez you. AND this has been asserted enough times to be unnecessary. There are others who think it's still a good value for the dollar, and has plenty of amenities to at least qualify for upscale.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Craig-D
There's no difference. The North American 2nd gen Acura TSX outperforms the 1st gen in every performance category too - while providing more interior space to boot. Car & Driver's full test in the latest issue bares this out (most of the other mags have only done preview drives so far).
Really? 0-60, 1/4 mile, skidpad, etc. are all improved?

Is there a link to this article?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rb1
Really? 0-60, 1/4 mile, skidpad, etc. are all improved?

Is there a link to this article?
Here's a link--

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g..._tsx_road_test
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Race Director

thanks for the link
Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by chibianh
Am I missing something? I don't see the 0-60 and skidpad testing in that road test article.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Racer

Am I missing something? I don't see the 0-60 and skidpad testing in that road test article.
2nd page, 4th paragraph down.

To conjure more scoot from 2354cc, the engineers shortened the manual’s gear ratios in second through sixth by an average of five percent. Our 0-to-60-mph runs dropped, too, from 7.2 seconds for our last TSX test car [February 2006] to 6.7. The EPA city mileage actually rises by 1 mpg to 20, but highway frugality holds steady at 28, as did our observed mileage at 25.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
The North American 2nd gen Acura TSX outperforms the 1st gen in every performance category too -

As it should, considering its an all new model with 5 more years of development under its skin.

Having said that, I think C&D were a tad optimistic about that 0-60 time. They do make corrections after all. I think future tests will end up in the low 7's. Road and Track's 0-60 was a much more believable (considering power to weight) 7.5. They don't make any corrections.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Advanced

wow interesting debate here.

I'll add my 2 cents

I've own my PWP tsx since 04, racked up 75K kms. At first when the 09 tsx was about to come out, I was excited, pumped, getting ready to rid my old and on with the new.

At the end of the day, I was disappointed. Sure the 09 tsx does have its own refinments and improvements, but at the least, thats what you can expect for a new model, however I would go all the way in saying the 09 felt more like a limited edition dress and tune up then it is completely new. Though many will argue so, but that is how I see it.

The style and looks for the car just isnt as smooth as it was in the 1st Gen anymore. And dont get me wrong, new tsx buyers will love the new tsx, but for 1st gen fans, the new tsx just wanst good enough.

Having similar power out puts for both cars, its really another insult to injury conisdering I've lost my apetite with the new style. Even the Honda Euro R, had 20 more hp for the 1st gen. And dont even get me started, if they can put 270 hp in a honda accord, its really a punch in the face to see Acura retain its 2.4L 200Hp numbers.

Sure at least back in 04, a case could be made that Tsx is in its own class, it made C&D top 10 3 years running. But times have changed. the new tsx is like a hockey team after nearly winning the championship, only to trade away their core players and drafted all young rookies and started a rebuilding phrase.

If acura wants to move into a more luxury and less sport compact segament, it is quite the painful way of doing it. It is like they nearly throw away everything that was good in the 1st gen and started from scratch for the 2nd one.

I do however, appreciate the way the new tsx has come to be, being, it has re-kindle the love I have for my 04, and now I would not give it away anytime soon or for anything else for the moment.

You cant argue, 09 tsx sales has doubled over forcast, so obviously Acura knows what they are doing, all perhaps when they finally introduce the SHAWD type S, that would shut up half the complains of our 1st gen fans.

But until that happens,

I love my 04 more than the 09 to be honest. And every car will always have a following no matter how bad it is, explain to me why there are saturn drivers? Hyuandai drivers?

If I had to sell my 04 one day, I will be looking else where for a better car for the price. Competition is alot bigger today then it was 4 years ago. And lets just see how many top 10 C&D award the new TSx will garner in coming yeras.

-peace
Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Race Director

my folks and i saw an 09 TSX on the road and they were eh, it now looks more luxury and a family man's car than a bachelor car.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Race Director

yeah i wonder if the 09 TSX will make the car and drivers 10 best again
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 AM

LOL at silverrex!

Drive one. And drive it hard. Not test drive cruize around the block....

It is better than CL9, no question.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by silverrex

If I had to sell my 04 one day, I will be looking else where for a better car for the price. Competition is alot bigger today then it was 4 years ago. And lets just see how many top 10 C&D award the new TSx will garner in coming yeras.

-peace
Coming years? The "10 Best" award at C&D stipulates that you can only get on the list in the first year after it's released, if you miss the cut, you won't get another chance till the MMC. I guess it all depends on what cars are going to be in the running for 2009. If it can get in for year one, there is a good chance it will stay for a few more, especially with the diesel on the horizon.

Quick Reply: 09 TSX or Boat on Wheels?