Suggestions on how to maximize the resale value of a tired 01 TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:40 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on how to maximize the resale value of a tired 01 TL

Wasted a lot of time typing just to get logged out and lose it all so I'll just keep it short and sweet this time

SOO...I bought this car from a guy who didn't know anything about cars and he thought it wasn't worth anything but the junkyard so he sold it to me for $200 to get it out of his hair. It had some minor problems that would appear like major problems to an inexperienced person. Long story short, it ran like crap and now EVERYTHING works including the a/c. The only things wrong other than the obvious paint work needed and the tears on the driver seat and center console and rear seats are a deep scratch/dent on the right side of the passenger taillight, the fact that someone stole his cat that I've patched with a fitted bolt on pipe, the driver door open/closed sensor is broken, the trunk seal had a part of the wire harness for the trunk lock interrupting the seal and letting water pour in which I fixed as well as the rear driver door that did pretty much the same thing, and it probably needs a new front driver side wheel bearing.

What I need you guys for is to help me decide what to do. I've had this car for a week, it's my first HMV car period but I've always loved Acura. So obviously I'm a noob to Honda and Acurazine but anything but a noob when it comes to cars in general. My goal is to have a TL that can push 280~300hp w/o FI if that's even possible for any combination of J-series blocks, heads, cams, cranks, rods, etc. As well as p'n'p, BBTB, shaved heads/blocks, CAI/H/E, ECU ect. Had the thought of buying a JDM TYPE-S J32 J32A2 as this is the A1 and moding it and pairing it to a 6spd MT from a CL-S or if it would be a better use of time and money to fix this to running/ visually pleasing condition and sell it and buy a 02-03 TL-S.

All suggestions welcome and I am trying to uncover new info and ideas if possible so please don't suggest a search.

Had cracked intake filter piping

Old 10-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Spend some time like the rest of have and.................................wait for it.....................do a search. There isn't anything about these cars that is new to uncover.

I hate to sound terse but you really can't show up and expect us to spoon feed without doing some research on your own.

Last edited by Iggy; 10-05-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:24 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iggy
Spend some time like the rest of have and.................................wait for it.....................do a search. There isn't anything about these cars that is new to uncover.

I hate to sound terse but you really can't show up and expect us to spoon feed without doing some research on your own.
I already have spent some time for that last week doing multiple searches/research and if I had found what I was looking for I wouldn't have make this post in the first place. Thus the reason I asked not to suggest a search...
the reason I asked was to get the opinion from people who know the value or lack thereof for my chassis. Not to run in circles.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Get the paint buffed out and replace the ragged interior parts with something decent from a salvage yard. Clean the engine bay. List for sale and shoot for the moon, and hope for a sucker.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Yeah I had given it some thought yesterday and since you picked it up for $200, I'd do what SuperGreg said and get it into a sellable condition and sell it for $1200 or whatever the local market value is. It's an opportunity to make some money and if you really want a 2G TL you can keep your eye out for one in better condition to come on the market.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Sell this pile and recoup some of your loses. You're going to dump a lot of cash into it to get it nice enough to sell for any kind of profit.

No cat? What state are you planning to sell this in? Might be a tough sell in certain states.

Clearcoat is gone on that car. No amount of polishing will fix that. Requires a full sand and re-clear. $$$$

You could probably find a used interior on eBay but not worth the $$$. Again you need to recoup your cost.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Sell this pile and recoup some of your loses. You're going to dump a lot of cash into it to get it nice enough to sell for any kind of profit.

No cat? What state are you planning to sell this in? Might be a tough sell in certain states.

Clearcoat is gone on that car. No amount of polishing will fix that. Requires a full sand and re-clear. $$$$

You could probably find a used interior on eBay but not worth the $$$. Again you need to recoup your cost.
This.

You can't put enough money into it to make it profitable given the pain condition and the interior....this is the type of car that you drive yourself as a beater for super cheap, get that nasty center armrest replaced and it'll be decent...
Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
1. Set the car on fire.

2. Call insurance company.

3. ??????

4. Profit.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: (" or if it would be a better use of time and money to fix this to running/ visually pleasing condition and sell it and buy a 02-03 TL-S.") Just to fix this car to running/visually pleasing condition would cost so much in time and materials, that it is very unlikely you would ever recover your investment. What you have, is exactly what you paid for, A $200.00 CAR!! In my area, one can buy a really really nice 02 or 03 TLS, with a bad transmission for $600.00-$900.00! Just to re-clear your car, to make it presentable, would probably cost you that much. Even if you did mod this car, and convert it to a 6 speed, (which would be a significant investment) it would be very unlikely that you would ever come close to recovering your investment!