Question (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question (with pics)

Today after going out of a drive I get home and decided to check my oil level and tranny fuild level. Now I noticed it was kind of high for the oil but at least a good color and didnt smell bad. I know its bad to have to much in there but this wont make much of a difference will it?

Now I bought my car used and according to the documents I have my tranny has about 20k on it. Now I never checked the fluid before because I figured its new how could it be bad? So I figured its over due for it and I pull it out and its WAY over the maximum mark. Not only that but its not red or brown but its green????? Does anyone at all know what this means?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Leprechauns replaced your tranny? Just kidding=I have no idea.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Luke7
Leprechauns replaced your tranny? Just kidding=I have no idea.
Hahaha maybe but the pic is kind of bad but as you can see its green and its WAY above the mark.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read other posts where the fluid can turn brownish over time.

Here's one example:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/wtb-h-r-sport-springs-93045/

But I didn't find any mentions of green fluid.

You might want to just drain and fill the fluid so you know what's in there. (Don't flush the fluid since that's not recommended for the 2nd gen TLs.)

Bob
Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob_F
I've read other posts where the fluid can turn brownish over time.

Here's one example:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93045

But I didn't find any mentions of green fluid.

You might want to just drain and fill the fluid so you know what's in there. (Don't flush the fluid since that's not recommended for the 2nd gen TLs.)

Bob
Yeah I knew not to do the flush its just I even tried searching google and other places and I got nothing. I was hoping someone here would have the same problem but I guess not.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Yeah I knew not to do the flush its just I even tried searching google and other places and I got nothing. I was hoping someone here would have the same problem but I guess not.
It is a bit bizarre. I also couldn't turn up anything on it with Google.

At this point, I'd just drain and replace it. And you might not want to have that done at an Acura dealership so that they wouldn't deny warranty coverage of the transmission because of the green fluid.

Bob
Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Your oil level in the first pic is normal. Thats where it should be.

The 2nd pic cant really see much. How did you test the fluid? car running? car off? cold fluid? hot fluid? It makes a difference in the level. As for color? it shouldnt be green. Pinkish red to brown depending on how much its worn. May want to look into a drain fill and double check the level
Old 02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Your oil level in the first pic is normal. Thats where it should be.

The 2nd pic cant really see much. How did you test the fluid? car running? car off? cold fluid? hot fluid? It makes a difference in the level. As for color? it shouldnt be green. Pinkish red to brown depending on how much its worn. May want to look into a drain fill and double check the level
Yeah im sorry it is a really crap pic maybe an inch over the maxium spot? The car was not running but it was warm I had the car off for maybe a minute or so.

As for the color what does make sense is im also positve its the orginal tranny fluid. It was replaced at 71k according to the recpeits and the acura dealers and I bought it at 83k so I figured it was fine because it was a brand new tranny (replaced 06/05) so thats why I dont get the green at all. I think this might explain when my car is shifting like crap. I have about 92K on it now so its a fairly new tranny so im going to see whats going on maybe look around.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob_F
It is a bit bizarre. I also couldn't turn up anything on it with Google.

At this point, I'd just drain and replace it. And you might not want to have that done at an Acura dealership so that they wouldn't deny warranty coverage of the transmission because of the green fluid.

Bob
Thanks for looking but something is wrong and like I just said I doubt acura could deny warranty work because im almost postive they put that in there. Im not sure but i think its time I get some new fluid and fast I agree with that.