Newbie Q: Wipers problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie Q: Wipers problem??

Hi all,

I drive a 2000 3.2 TL and have 115K miles. Last week while driving through rain my wipers started to act up. Instead of doing the usual sweep, they are sweeping literaly off the windshield. When they come up to clear the glass, they keep going left and hitting the edge where glass and body panel meet. In addition, they are barely clearing the water off the windshield.

My questions are, is the windshield motor dying? If yes, any suggestion on how to replace it or how much should i pay to get it replaced?

Thanks...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM
hates the winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wiper arm may be loose, and gotten misaligned. Open the hood and check the bolts that hold the wipers on. Other than that I wouldnt know what the problem could be.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
The wiper arm may be loose, and gotten misaligned. Open the hood and check the bolts that hold the wipers on. Other than that I wouldnt know what the problem could be.
probably some loose wiper arms or a loose wiper motor that is causing it to sweep to far.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
See this post

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=wiper

same thing happened to me
dealer fixed it for free

new wiper motor around $80

good luck
Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

mine just started doing that same thing. i had the shop realing them and then it was hitting the bottom. so i had them do it agian. now it still taps but ever so slightly i think its a motor issue.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Racer

I had same problem, they would fly off the windshield at highest reach, and then SLAM back down to the bottom half the time. If you pop off your plastic hood cowl to get under the top wiper arms, you will see that they are both attached to two other metal arms. These metal arms have plastic rotator cuffs pressed into the ends. They wear out and need replacement. I replaced mine both in about 30 minutes and been perfect for the past ~year now.

just get them from the dealer. the arms come with the pre-greased cuffs pressed in, and run about $20 ea?

they are flat silver in color with white caps fyi

gl
Old 01-06-2007, 09:50 AM
7th Gear

Thanks all, I'll try to check for the cuffs...
Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM
7th Gear

Wacky wipers.

My 1999 I just bought is doing the same thing.
Funny thing is my 1994 Accord has been doing that for about 5 years.
Well I ordered the motor/transmission and arms from "honda connection" ebay used parts place for $20. I just replaced everything in about an hour and it's now working fine. Now the kicker, I just read this post 5 minutes ago and decided to check the wiper arm nuts on the Acura, they didn't seem real loose but I was able to tighten them a little more, tried the wipers and they seem to work fine now too.
Now I'm scratching my head! Wish I would have brought this up earlier.
There was noticable slop between the assembly on the accord and the one I replaced it with...I believed it was the motor/transmission that had some slop in the gears, they are plastic.

Hope this helps
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

wiper linkage

I just purchased a linkage with the rotor cuffs already installed. Do I need to remove the cuffs before installing the ball joint or will it just snap on thru the linkage?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Racer

just leave the cuffs pressed in place, no need to remove them. I remember one being an easy snap and the other was a LOT harder to 'snap' in, but it will
Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 PM
car237Dallas

I have having the same prob w/winshield wipers

On my 2000 TL. I have 97000 miles on it. The car is at the Dealer here in Plano TX (David McDavid) for an oil change and inspection. They told me the linkages between the motor and the wiper arms are just plain worn out. They want $274 to replace them. I love this car... wish they had not downsized it. I am actively looking for a low milage 2003 at estate sales etc. to replace.

Car237Dallas
Old 02-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Downsized it?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
FamusTLX

Does anyone know which part I need to order because I have the exact same problem as well.

wiper arm, motor, transmition or cuffs.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

See the response from "payyourtoll" above. I had the same issue and solution to it. I could not find the grease filled cap for $20 therefore end up replacing the whole metal arm for about $50.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear

Smile wiper linkage

You will need to remove the wiper arms & the plastic cover under them to get to the wiper linkage. If you reinstall the wiper after removing the full length plastic cover, then you can manually move the wiper a little to see where the worn plastic joint is. You can order the linkage with the plastic coupling from your honda or acura dealer. I purchased the part for my 2002 acura from the local honda dealer & it took a couple of weeks. They don't sell the plastic coupling by itself. There are several different linkages - be sure to get the right one.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I paid about $50.00 for the arms online/new from an Acura Dealer. Mine also work great now. Easy to replace. Had the same problem with my 91 Accord.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

1999 TL, 112k miles - Wipers randomly go too far at top and bottom and slam against the pillar and hood.

Took the wiper arms off a few hours ago and poked around underneath the plastic cowl but ran out of daylight. The teeth that lock the wiper arms are all stripped to hell, that obviously isn't good. Linkage Rods A and B appear to have quite a bit of free play at the ends where there's the plastic dome-type caps, not sure if that's supposed to be the case. I'm hoping it's one of these two options (as opposed to both or the motor) that require replacement. Anyone care to chime in on either issue?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
7th Gear

I had the same problem and I replaced both A & B arm. Total cost about $80. Its the play due to strip plastic caps that created an issue for me.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

I just got done replacing the arms that are causing the slamming problem of the wipers into the side post near the drivers door. I took a few pictures to show others with the same problem.

First, remove the wiper arms by removing the one bolt holding the arm in place.

Second, with the hood open remove the black valance at the bottom of the windshield. There are three two-part clips removed with a screw driver gently. Then remove the black seal by slowing removing it from the T clips that hold it in place. If you're gentle you won't damage the seal. Remove the T-clips by either pushing them up from underneath or by pulling them straight up. They shouldn't break. This then freels the black valance to be removed.

Third, there are two 10mm bolts that holds the wiper motor/gear assembly in place. Remove the bolts then you see that near the drivers fender there are two pins that fit into rubber grommets - slide them out and the assembly will be free except for the wires. Press the electrical connection and it will slide free.

This is what your assembly should look like:

The two long arms have the white plastic clips that hold the arms on ball joints. Here's the broken part:

Removed the broken part looks like:

Pop the arms off with your hands. It should take much pressure to remove. When you get the arms off, the ball joint should look like:

I took some time to clean the ball joint up as the clips come pre-filled with grease.

Push the new arms down onto the ball joints until they seat. You should feel a positive click when they seat.

I changed both arms of mine even though only one was broken. Here's with the new arms in place:

Replace the assembly the exact opposite of removing the assembly.

Prior to replacing the wiper arms, I turned the car on so I could reset the wiper motor to the off position. I knew that I had altered the position of the wipers. After I had shut the wipers off and then the car, I replaced the black valance and the wiper arms.

The hardest part of the whole job was replacing the valance. It just took some time to get all the tabs and holes aligned so it would fit. The cost of the project was $45 including shipping and handling.

Hope this helps!

Any questions, please ask.
The following users liked this post:
cheekoo (08-08-2011)
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pixrob
I just got done replacing the arms that are causing the slamming problem of the wipers into the side post near the drivers door. I took a few pictures to show others with the same problem.

Second, with the hood open remove the black valance at the bottom of the windshield. There are three two-part clips removed with a screw driver gently. Then remove the black seal by slowing removing it from the T clips that hold it in place. If you're gentle you won't damage the seal. Remove the T-clips by either pushing them up from underneath or by pulling them straight up. They shouldn't break. This then freels the black valance to be removed.

Third, there are two 10mm bolts that holds the wiper motor/gear assembly in place. Remove the bolts then you see that near the drivers fender there are two pins that fit into rubber grommets - slide them out and the assembly will be free except for the wires. Press the electrical connection and it will slide free.

The two long arms have the white plastic clips that hold the arms on ball joints. Here's the broken part:

Pop the arms off with your hands. It should take much pressure to remove. When you get the arms off, the ball joint should look like:

I took some time to clean the ball joint up as the clips come pre-filled with grease.

Push the new arms down onto the ball joints until they seat. You should feel a positive click when they seat.

I changed both arms of mine even though only one was broken. Here's with the new arms in place:

Prior to replacing the wiper arms, I turned the car on so I could reset the wiper motor to the off position. I knew that I had altered the position of the wipers. After I had shut the wipers off and then the car, I replaced the black valance and the wiper arms.

The hardest part of the whole job was replacing the valance. It just took some time to get all the tabs and holes aligned so it would fit. The cost of the project was $45 including shipping and handling.

Hope this helps!

great job on taking pix. im gunna be doin this soon. you shouldve made a DIY thread for the DIY section
Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps!

heres some questions....is there a way to just change the little plastic clip things that are broken?
and can i get these parts from a dealer or do they have to be ordered??
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

I'm sure that there is a way to order just the cap, but for $12 each, it just can't be that much cheaper.

You would most likely be able to get them from any Acura/Honda dealer. They may or may not stock them which is why I ordered them online.

Hope that helps!

Rob
Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm having the same problem, but my wipers dont even go all the way down (they stay half way on the windshield rather than going underneath the hood when in the off position). the dealer says i need to replace the entire assembly (transmission), but I dont know if I should do that or just replace the arms like all you did, any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Let me answer your question with a question. Do your wipers move at all? If they do, I'm betting it's a problem with your wiper arms.

Take your time and take the cover off so you can see the wiper "transmission" in action. I bet you'll see something that just plain looks wrong or broken. You might want to take the wiper blades off and just watch the assembly move without scratching your glass or making that darn annoying noise. Then you'll be able to see what's broken and replace what is needed.

If it doesn't move at all that would sound more like a motor or maybe a switch?

Investigate a little a post back what's going on. Pictures always help as well.

Rob
Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Pro

Thanks for your response.

The wipers do move so it's def. not the motor. I opened it up on Friday and took a look, theres some play at the joints of the arms so im assuming that thats the problem. Acura dealer had told me that they wanted to replace everything minus the motor at $385 and I thought that was a little ridiculous so i just ordered the assembly for $150 & am gonna get a pair of Bosch Icons for $40 and finish the job at half the price.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You could just buy the arms for about $50. That's usually all there is to it. Just pull off the old ones and snap on new ones. Takes about 30 mins total.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Luke7
You could just buy the arms for about $50. That's usually all there is to it. Just pull off the old ones and snap on new ones. Takes about 30 mins total.
I was thinking that, but I just didnt want to buy only the arms to find out that wasn't the problem, so I just bought the entire assembly. installation doesnt seem like it will take that long, maybe an hour at most?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Pro

So i got the wiper assembly and installed it today, put on the new wipers (not wiper arms) and lo 'n behold i still got the same problem. New assembly, but the wipers still smack the bottom of the windshield every time down and then when I turn off the wipers, the wipers stop about 20% above the bottom of the windshield.

Anybody have any ideas?!!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

Wow! First let me say I'm surprised.

What I thought about at the first time that I read it was that when you put the wiper arms back on, the motor wasn't at the bottom of the cycle. BUT the stopping not at the bottom doesn't make sense.

So when you put it all back together, did you run the wiper motor then shut the wipers off before putting the arms on?

The wiper arms aren't stripped are they?

Just some thoughts....I'm hardly an expert as I've only had to fix on of them.

Rob
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Pro

Wow! First let me say I'm surprised.

What I thought about at the first time that I read it was that when you put the wiper arms back on, the motor wasn't at the bottom of the cycle. BUT the stopping not at the bottom doesn't make sense.

So when you put it all back together, did you run the wiper motor then shut the wipers off before putting the arms on?

The wiper arms aren't stripped are they?

Just some thoughts....I'm hardly an expert as I've only had to fix on of them.

Rob

Yup, I turned the motor on and then off before putting the wiper arms back on. The wiper arms seem to be fine, they do not look worn out. I'm thinking that it might be the piece that connects the top arm to the motor. That does look a little stripped, but it could be negligible since there is a lock nut and bolt to hold it down. Not too sure, I really don't want to bring it back to the dealer and get ripped off
Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Pro

Well, I took a look at the wiper arms after the slamming and looks like they are worn out now, there's little grip left on them so i just ordered a new pair as well as a motor link, i figured i should replace that too. Hopefully ill get the parts next week or so.

Does anyone happen to know the proper way to set up the wiper assembly, like what the original position of the link should be when you pop on the lower arm? Also when putting on the wiper arms, how do u know where to place them? I turned the wipers on and then off so they are in the Off position and then i place the wiper arms as low as they can go, but i'm not sure if thats the right place to put them.

I want to ensure that i'm installing everything properly so it can hopefully be guaranteed to work

tia!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM
5th Gear

Great thread on wiper repair

This is a great thread for diagnosis and repair of a true "dealer revenge" problem. My dealer assessment was at $450 last year. This thread's suggestions led me to a $26 fix! My wipers have been flapping for about 2 years, so the contol arm was really getting worn. I found the parts (illustration, part number and cost) at estore.honda.com. I was prepared to replace both arms, but when I revealed and removed the entire mechanism (posted previously with pictures), I only needed the top arm. This arm seems to get the most wear. The Acura part number is "76540-S0k-A01", "Rod Unit A (LH), which listed for $19.40, but cost me $26 at a Dallas dealer. Allignment of the 2 wiper arms was a bit tricky, but I found that by closing the hood, I could easily press the wiper arms in the proper "parked" position, and attach/tighten the retaining bolt. The Estore site is a bit difficult to navigate, but there is a full diagram of the assembly, part #, cost etc., along with a printable pdf of all of the wiper assembly parts. Sorry there was no "grease filled plastic cap" shown, unless you buy the A or B rod unit.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
2005 RL black on black

Im having a problem my wipers they complitely stopped working, I do hear the the motor running when i turn it on? but my wipers are not moving? Please help and how much is it to fix?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
5th Gear

Wiper check

I would remove either one or both of the wiper arms, to see if the motor is actually running. You said you can hear it, but check to see if it is engaging the 2 arms. If its engaging (but slipping around the seat of the arms), then the arms need to be replaced. If both lugs are stationary (while the motor is on), then you must remove the black cowling and look further inside. It could be both control arms are worn out around the white plastic cap. See the earlier post that contains the illustrations for additional troubleshooting. If its the control arms, expect to pay about $50 for both.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Wiper Arm

Great DIY instructions.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
2005 RL black on black

thanks im gonna check it out tomorrow hopefully stops raining!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
8th Gear

Just ordered the rod unit arms. It was $68 + another $10 to get shipped to me directly, being as the closest Acura dealership is almost 80 miles away. Great How to Thread though! thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for this thread, the DIY instructions, and the photos! I just finished doing this job - cost me $40 in parts plus an hour of time instead of $250 at the dealer.

The one thing I would mention is to make sure the orientation of the arms is correct (e.g. have them mounted the right way). Otherwise the plastic bushing will pop off the ball joint.

Ask me how I know...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 PM
4th Gear

Smile Another Flapping Wiper Bites the Dust

Pixrob: thanks for the detailed wiper repair instructions. Because of them I just fixed the problem many others have had with my driver's side wiper hitting the pillar once out of every 2 or 3 wipes. Taking my time (including clean-up!) the repair took 2 hours. Marked the home or 'off' position of the wipers, linkages, etc. with tape or a paint marker. Everything came apart and went back together easily. I thought i might get away with replacing the wiper rods without removing the entire assembly from the car, but it was easier to just slide the assembly off the mounting pins and remove and replace the rods on the garage floor. (Less knuckle scraping action too). Total part cost was $75. I suggest buying the rubber grease seal (they call them a dust cover, 4 total) that fits over the mating ball joint for each rod, Honda PN 76524.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Darn glad to have helped!

Quick Reply: Newbie Q: Wipers problem??