Need help diagnosing issue

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Need help diagnosing issue

I'll break down the issues and what I've done so far.

Issue 1: Steering feels sloppy and I can hear a knocking sound when steering at lower speeds.
What I've done: Changed inner and outer tie rods on both sides of the car. I couldn't get my hands on an inner tie rod tool so I tighten them as best I could with vise grips, they are not loose but may not be properly torqued, the toe can be brought in and out no problem without the inner ernd moving at all. Anyways the knocking sound did not go away. I figured possibly end links so I replaced both front and rear with Moogs again and replaced front and rear sway bar bushings as when with ES bushings. No change. Also had an alignment done, spec sheet was spot on but my car pulls to the right, I have to cock the steering wheel to the left a little to go straight down the road. Maybe try a different alignment shop?

Issue 2: When I go over decent sized bumps in the road I can hear a rattling sound, most from the passenger side, that was part of the reason I changed the end links and sway bar bushings.
What I've done: After end link and bushing change I felt a very mild improvement, but not much of one.
My lower control arm bushings are worn, could those be the culprits?

Issue 3: I hear a humming/rusting wheel grinding sound coming mainly from my passenger side front wheel. It occurs at all times, but can't be heard much on the highway because of road noise and my exhaust. Once the car warms up more I also hear it from the drivers side.
What I've done: I had a shop replace the front passenger side wheel bearing about 3 months ago. Noise went away briefly (maybe a month) and now it's back.
I'm thinking CV axles, maybe half shaft. wheel bearings again maybe? Maybe rear bearings are also making noise and need new rear hub and bearing assemblies.

Last edited by sbuswell; 07-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I need 2 more gears

Anyone think this could be a rack issue? I'm ready to replace both axles, knuckles, lower ball joints, hub and bearing, lower control arms and rear hub and bearing assemblies. Kind of tired of fixing shit, so figure I might as well replace everything that hasn't been replaced in the last few years. Almost want to replace the upper control arm and ball joints and probably the dust shields. Everything with brand new OEM hardware. Then in a few months change out all of the rear arms. Anyways anyone think I should get the passenger side inner hafl shaft and differential bearing changed at the same time? I'll be doing all the work so I expect some fun times.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
1 try a different alignment shop. The alignment shop should be able to tell you with the car lifted if there is play in the rack to let you know if its bad.

2. any of the original bushings could cause that. From the control arm to the radius rod. I have it and its from the upper control arm. (cant tell while knuckle is bolted to it but once undone you can get the play in it that is causing it)

3. Tire,Bearing or axle. Are you sure the noise is coming from that corner. May need a new rear bearing.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
1 try a different alignment shop. The alignment shop should be able to tell you with the car lifted if there is play in the rack to let you know if its bad.

2. any of the original bushings could cause that. From the control arm to the radius rod. I have it and its from the upper control arm. (cant tell while knuckle is bolted to it but once undone you can get the play in it that is causing it)

3. Tire,Bearing or axle. Are you sure the noise is coming from that corner. May need a new rear bearing.
Yeah I'm going to go to a different alignment shop for sure. Possibly before repairs.
I changed out my rad rod bushings not too long ago, but control arm bushings are toast. Also I was going to take the struts out and check the top hat bushings and make sure everything is tight.

The noise seems to come from both sides of the vehicle. Almost like a rusty wheel turning. I've never changed out the rear hubs and bearings so I figure I'd do those. Those assemblies are pretty cheap on rockauto, beck/arnley for $60.00 each.