knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:36 PM
Advanced

knocking sound

heres my problem. just recently when I was on my way home from work, I noticed a small knocking sound( or a tick) as if a bolt or something is rolling back and hitting something everytime i accelerate from a dead stop. You barely notice it unless you really pay attention. I then took out the stuff in my glove compartment and the sound was still there. recently I was at the dealership getting some service done and I had it checked out. when I talked to the tech, he said when he went for a drive, didnt notice anything. I had gone over every inch of the car while it was up on the hoist and I see nothing out of place. Seeing as how I never abuse the vehicle and avoid potholes and big puddles, should I worried?or is it just the typical brake squeak or noises as common members have here on the forums?
Old 10-08-2008 | 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Where is the sound coming from up front? Does it go away once moving or does it stay consistent when moving?
Old 10-08-2008 | 01:57 PM
AZ Member.. :X

Cool

Motor Mount?? How many miles are on the car?
Old 10-08-2008 | 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

How long has this been happening for?
Old 10-08-2008 | 08:07 PM
Advanced

its got 78000KM's on the car. i noticed the sound 2 days before going to the dealership to get some stuff done. its coming from the front passenger side. its almost like a little "tick" or knocking sound. its goes away once its moving. I only notice it when im accelerating from a dead stop. sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt. i have pressed down my window and listen once i accelerate for a bit but i cant find the cause. could it be that im crazy or is it just my imagination?
Old 10-09-2008 | 06:52 AM
Racer

are the castle nuts on your control arms tight? i recently had a similair sound and it turned out my upper control arm's ball joint needed to be just tightened up a little. I t was just loose enough to cause the ball joint to jump up and down on stops and starts.
Old 10-09-2008 | 12:50 PM
Advanced

hmm sounds like a possibility. because when it was up in the air at the dealership, the control arms, tie rods, and balljoints seemed all tight and good. im probably gonna have a look at what you said above chris. so really if that is the case just tighten it and im good? like when it comes to this car im pretty anal in regards to keeping the car clean and running properly. surprised that even a little problem can be overlooked. if that isnt the case, any other alternatives?
Old 10-09-2008 | 03:06 PM
Racer

It can't hurt to grab your socket and just check. You don't even need to take off the tire, just reach in over it and make sure its tight and not moving when the weight of the car changes, like stopping ir taking off. Mine was just loose enough to let it rock and make noise. If not grab onto your sway bar while there and see if that moves at all-
Old 10-09-2008 | 03:23 PM
Team Owner

noises are often found with a mechanics stethascope- 5-10 $ at parts stores
It has a long point tip probe (like a 12v test light on bigger scale)
you place tip against the outer housing of any bearing like the ps pump- alternator or ----the AC belt tensioner pulley
thats a popular one to wear out- starts with light ticking- almost like valve noise, but just a bit irregular beat to it, gets worse until audilble with hood closed

if click click click- open windows to listen to front wheel area better,
from dead stop in D5 turn steering wheel full left and gently roll forward- nothing?
try the other direction click click click? CV axle bearing is most likely the problem
acura would have checked the normal things like broken suspension, and you would think they checked CV joints but you dont know unless you talked directly with the tech who did the work
I would start listening to things with the stethascope.
Old 10-09-2008 | 08:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
noises are often found with a mechanics stethascope- 5-10 $ at parts stores
It has a long point tip probe (like a 12v test light on bigger scale)
you place tip against the outer housing of any bearing like the ps pump- alternator or ----the AC belt tensioner pulley
thats a popular one to wear out- starts with light ticking- almost like valve noise, but just a bit irregular beat to it, gets worse until audilble with hood closed

if click click click- open windows to listen to front wheel area better,
from dead stop in D5 turn steering wheel full left and gently roll forward- nothing?
try the other direction click click click? CV axle bearing is most likely the problem
acura would have checked the normal things like broken suspension, and you would think they checked CV joints but you dont know unless you talked directly with the tech who did the work
I would start listening to things with the stethascope.
I actually went over everything with the tech surprisingly under the car considering the fact that they say us customers are not allowed to be there according to insurance reasons but w/e. as for that clicking, its definitely not the axles because i have pulled down all my windows and driven in a quiet location and launching to see what it is.its not even a click its a little "tick" noise and you hear it from inside the car if you pay attention to it. its on and off at times. stethascope ill probably give that a try as well as the socket wrench and try tightening that bolt.thanks guys. from what you told me could be the AC tensioner pulley if thats the case. but with 78,000km's on the car, is it common for these things to be going on the fritz already?
Old 10-10-2008 | 12:21 PM
Team Owner

mine started ticking at 40k miles and was finally really bad at 80k miles and was replaced
Old 10-10-2008 | 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Launching to listen for cv noise? thats not the test I asked you to perform
SLOW- no throttle- release brakes and roll forward- with full wheel lock-- from a dead stop- listen

The insurance sign is to keep the masses who would walk in front of a car or stand under a life being lowered- out of the shop
You are allowed in when invited- and accompanied by shop employee

Stethascope the ac pulley and the valves- you will hear rythem or not- not is bad
Old 10-10-2008 | 02:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Launching to listen for cv noise? thats not the test I asked you to perform
SLOW- no throttle- release brakes and roll forward- with full wheel lock-- from a dead stop- listen

The insurance sign is to keep the masses who would walk in front of a car or stand under a life being lowered- out of the shop
You are allowed in when invited- and accompanied by shop employee

Stethascope the ac pulley and the valves- you will hear rythem or not- not is bad
sorry didnt mean launch that way but yes as you say slow acceleration dead stop. as for the ac pulley i did check it last night and it does have a rhythm. my friend lent me his stethascope and yes its all good there. cant believe a little sound like this is making me very paranoid.
Old 10-11-2008 | 03:07 AM
Advanced

mine did the same thing .when i took it to my mechanik he said that the heat sheild is loose
Old 10-12-2008 | 11:49 AM
Advanced

hmm never thought of that. interesting. ill probably look into that. strangely odd how I go gas up my car today, the sound disappeared on me..
Old 11-05-2008 | 03:20 PM
Advanced

ok so the sound came back to haunt me "-_-". i found out its coming from the brakes on the front right wheel. is that normal? its like a clicking sound is heard right when i release the brakes and begin to accelerate.
Old 11-05-2008 | 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Loose, damaged, or missing pad abutment clips? Lack of lube on clips, slides, or back of pads?
Old 11-05-2008 | 08:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Loose, damaged, or missing pad abutment clips? Lack of lube on clips, slides, or back of pads?
i just changed them couple of months back. if this is the problem, do i have anything to worry about and how worried should i be?
Old 11-05-2008 | 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Take the wheel off and inspect the bolts. Make sure every thing is tight.