Driving across the country and in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving across the country and in the Snow

So I'm from California and haven't experienced driving in the snow yet. Anyone have any insight or tips about driving in snowy weather? Should I get snow tires or anything for my engine etc. Also I will be driving my TL from Cali to Iowa and does anyone have tips for cross country tips for your guys TL?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Use all weather's if you don't plan to be in that weather for too long. If its really bad snow you're driving through then buy snow tires. It'll get eaten up on the freeway though. Definitely not a road trip tire by any means.

Carry warm gear including thermals, thick jacket, snow boots if you're gonna be walking in snow, snow gloves that are nice and thick, ice scraper with the brush on it to brush off rear and side view mirrors, snacks in the car, some water that you carry with you so that it doesn't freeze in the car.

If you've ever been in the snow before it gets cold inside the car very fast unless its running so all the stuff I've suggested is if you're stranded on the roadside for whatever reason, break down to flat tire. Gotta stay warm until help comes or if help comes. Could be a wait depending on where you are. No guarantee that anyone's gonna save your butt. Windshield fluid should be swapped out with something that doesn't freeze. Rain-x which is orange is awesome and really stays fluid well below 0 and on the freeway with wind chill. Don't need it freezing in the lines and causing damage to the car. Coolant, no water in the radiator. Pump the tires up 1psi for ever 10 degree drop, since manufacturers recommend tire pressure based on standard temps.

Carry a spare and tools accordingly. Like I said tools aren't going to be your issue but clothing if you're stuck is the biggest problem. If you can't take the cold outside you're not going to be able do something as simple as changing a tire.

Ice typically forms at or below 25 degrees. Keep an eye on outside temps if the TL does show those details. Bridges usually ice up before roadways do so watch out for them. Travel below the speed limit if you see bad weather. Don't speed up like most of the idiots on the street. Lots of 4wd drivers think they can be safe. They run into issues quick. Make sure your fogs work since that will be providing the best light you and others can see.

Change the oil if you're planning on staying in cold weather for long. Given you're trip I'm gonna assume you'll be there for a while. Change the oil to one that has a lower cranking temp. 5w20 is what is recommended so switch to 0w20. It will shear over long distance and high operating temps so carry extra to compensate. Change the transmission fluid before you make the trip just in case. Check all your other fluids. Make sure there aren't any leaks or issues anywhere else like the clutch, brake, powersteering. For the most part make sure all your fluids are still clear and clean.

DO NOT use cruise control if there's snow, ice or wet roads you're on. Moist roads are fine but if there is water being kicked up I wouldn't suggest it. I do use cruise control since I've gotten good at reading road surfaces but just be wary.

Snow and iced up roads are usually salted so make sure you hose down the car and undercarriage once a week when you're in snowy territory to keep most parts free of that corrosive crap.

Carry some spray wax and MF towels if you want to clean up a few spots if anything corrosive comes in contact with the paint. Salt is fine but I just like to be prepared.

That should be all. Check the battery terminals too. If there's any corrosion and the battery dies the acid inside can freeze effectively killing the battery altogether. Been there before. Also carry jumper cables and a tow rope. Really can save your butt.

Keep a nice powerful flashlight in your car.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Good post from Vidur. You have to be prepared for the unexpected so that is why you need to have all these things with you, just in case. Since you indicated you're new to snow/ice driving, don't underestimate just how slick the roads can be. You don't want to make any sudden moves - accelerating, braking and turning. Allow plenty of space between you and everyone else. Start slowing down long before you think you need to. And, most of all, enjoy the ride. It should be fun.
d1sturb3d119 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Are you suicidal? You might get lucky and not have to eat your companions....

What you need in snow is ground clearance and traction, and from your pic you have no clearance and wide slippery tires....

Rent a 'normal' car!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Yeah thank you for the information guys, I'm used to perfect sunny California weather and I wasn't aware I needed all that for my car. Anyways I'll be sure to get everything I need done before I go and when I arrive there.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
are those stock size rims? ck owner book regarding ONLY use of CABLE type tire chains- clearance issue iirc
water to drink- heater dehydrates you bad, and a spare empty bottle -big enough to fit your manhood into the opening,,,for emergency storage of bodily fluids

note if ever stuck in snowing condition, keep cking and clearing snow from exhaust tips!
If blocked, carbon monoxide will get inside the car,
where you will be gently lulled into everlasting sleep
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

youtube should have vids with real tips on front wheel drive and snow and ice, spinning out, what to do in typical situations,,abs active etc
just keep your cool, act slow with steering. expect no traction
and many idiots driving as if there were actual traction!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

10%- by total capacity of washer fluid res, of rubbing alchohol -added to regular washer fluid makes it winter washer fluid,,wont freeze up!
its difficult to find winter fluid in sunny ca,,have to look at rv places

agree use- 0-20 synthetic engine oil and no extra additives -will keep you running good,
morning starts are when the 0 weight is active, getting oil to bearings quickly
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
just keep your cool, act slow with steering. expect no traction
and many idiots driving as if there were actual traction!
x2 for idiots driving as if there were actual traction.

Was tailgated in the morning on snow covered road while pulling up to a stop light.

Don't get pissed or aggressive. It really really isn't worth it and the situation will get bad really fast. The best I can describe it, is an accident in slow motion. You know its gonna be bad but you can't do anything. So play it like chess, plan 10 steps ahead.

Most honda's have great steering feel. You'll be able to tell if there is a loss of traction. Use it to read the road surface.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Don`t be scared also when the TCS light comes on. It probably means your tires are a spinning.

Best tip for driving in the snow and ice?

Slow down!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Find a nice wide, snowy, empty parking lot and make sure your parking brake functions properly while turning.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aman
Find a nice wide, snowy, empty parking lot and make sure your parking brake functions properly while turning.
Yeah. This is the most important test around. I especially love doing that with the tokyo drift song playing in the back ground

But seriously though its a lot of fun.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Here's something you're gonna get used to. Car's do look sexy in snow though!

Driving across the country and in the Snow-vc4d5rw.jpg
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Best post
Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tosh
Are you suicidal? You might get lucky and not have to eat your companions....

What you need in snow is ground clearance and traction, and from your pic you have no clearance and wide slippery tires....

Rent a 'normal' car!
Not true (in bold). Im lowered and have NEVER had a single issue with any amount of snow. I often drive thru snow that is up to my lower grill opening. I have never gotten stuck. Tires make all the difference.

If you are driving on high performance summer tires look at putting your stock all seasons on. Summer only tires do NOT drive in snow. If you do encounter snow, the best advice no matter what is, just slow down. Brake early, dont make any sudden reaction movements if possible.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live here in Des Moines, And I was planning on driving to California sometime soon. All you really need to get around in snow are some all season tires with lots of tread. As for ice, just drive speed limit or even below and start breaking before you get to a stop. When do you plan on making the trip out here? So far its just been really cold and light drizzle, but hardly any snow yet. (Knock on wood)
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Eurotrash

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Not true (in bold). Im lowered and have NEVER had a single issue with any amount of snow. I often drive thru snow that is up to my lower grill opening. I have never gotten stuck. Tires make all the difference.
I guess you're the exception to the rule? Until that one extra inch of snow...
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CorbinMB
I live here in Des Moines, And I was planning on driving to California sometime soon. All you really need to get around in snow are some all season tires with lots of tread. As for ice, just drive speed limit or even below and start breaking before you get to a stop. When do you plan on making the trip out here? So far its just been really cold and light drizzle, but hardly any snow yet. (Knock on wood)
Alright good to know, and I'm currently attending school in Fairfield but I'm getting my car and driving back in January 12th. Anything I should know for keeping your car paint from rusting or going bad?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Advanced

I recently got new barkes, that sounds like fun...I just hope i dont crash into a street light or curb
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuradriver92
Alright good to know, and I'm currently attending school in Fairfield but I'm getting my car and driving back in January 12th. Anything I should know for keeping your car paint from rusting or going bad?
I usually just go to a carwash and clean the quarterpanels and any other spots that salt and sand would build up.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

Salt needs to be washed off at some point like when it warms up. Get a car wash with an underbody wash. Salt that sits a bit is no problem it`s when it sits for a long time that causes parts of your car to corrode.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
The best thing to do is apply a rust preventative material to the frame, wheelwells and undercarriage before winter driving's salt kills your car's bottom areas. Try to spray all the bottom exposed areas every nice day that ya can in the winter to keep that salt washed off. Those road de-icers are very corrosive and if left sit, can cause rust to eat your car. .
Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess you're the exception to the rule? Until that one extra inch of snow...
Have you actually driven in snow, lots of snow? I have lived with it my whole life, i have put on well over 1 million miles of driving (closing in on 1.5 actually), and i am not the exception to the rule. Sure there are limitations, just like there are with stock height and honestly the typical 1.5-2" drop will drive thru just as much snow as stock height Tires are FAR more important than ground clearance. If you dont have traction you arent going anywhere.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
The best thing to do is apply a rust preventative material to the frame, wheelwells and undercarriage before winter driving's salt kills your car's bottom areas. Try to spray all the bottom exposed areas every nice day that ya can in the winter to keep that salt washed off. Those road de-icers are very corrosive and if left sit, can cause rust to eat your car. .
Actually you need to be REALLY careful doing that You can plug up drain holes/vent areas that will actually cause things to rust faster by trapping moisture in. Modern vehicles (for the most part) have a great rust inhibitor already coated on all panels to prevent it.

You wont see a spec of rust on the bottom of my car and i have never applied anything to it. They use salt around here like its going out of style. Half the time you feel like you are driving on a gravel road after it snows. Bringing the car to a car wash and having the bottom sprayed periodically will go much further in preventing it
Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Salt needs to be washed off at some point like when it warms up. Get a car wash with an underbody wash. Salt that sits a bit is no problem it`s when it sits for a long time that causes parts of your car to corrode.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Fsttyms1, guess I'm being old school on preventing rust....especially after watching most 10-15 year old import and especially Honda product's rear quarter's getting rotted badly, I still believe in applying a thin based preventative along with dedicated cleaning. Actually getting to the inner seams and welds are the most critical areas. Drain holes and vents also must be kept cleared as ya mentioned.

So out of curousity, does cutting your TL's pristine rear quarter wheel wells bother ya with the upcoming flare project ?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

did anyone mention a spray can of windshield de-icer be carried?
I am not far from the OP and this week, here in usually warm sunny Ca, it got used a few times..

also hit all the rubber seals on doors-trunk SUNROOF etc with some silicone sprayed onto a rag and applied
that will keep them from freezing closed
some deep creep or similar in door looks and mechanisms helps them
ck all the drains in sunroof and under doors,,important!

a bag of grease sweep/cat litter $5, is traction in a bag
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

if you didnt already, replace the headlight /ballast system before the move
50 bucks at hidextra.com will make driving safer

and its better to do it here than in the snow,, when seal in housing leaks and ballast dies
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Safety Car

Cat liter might sound funny but it is a tried and true way to free your tires from spinning out in snow and ice.

Those of us that have experience driving in winter still know the number one rule. Slow down! Especially during snow, it will only take you a few extra minutes to get to your destination.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey Fsttyms1, guess I'm being old school on preventing rust....especially after watching most 10-15 year old import and especially Honda product's rear quarter's getting rotted badly, I still believe in applying a thin based preventative along with dedicated cleaning. Actually getting to the inner seams and welds are the most critical areas. Drain holes and vents also must be kept cleared as ya mentioned.

So out of curousity, does cutting your TL's pristine rear quarter wheel wells bother ya with the upcoming flare project ?
Hondas rear quarters were notorious for rusting, but it came from the pinch weld of the two panels. No amount of undercoating would help it. It was just poorly coated metal. They have gotten much better.

As for cutting mine, Negative, Not afraid at all. There will be weld thru primer, epoxy primer sealers and paint. It will be better than factory.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Cat liter might sound funny but it is a tried and true way to free your tires from spinning out in snow and ice.

Those of us that have experience driving in winter still know the number one rule. Slow down! Especially during snow, it will only take you a few extra minutes to get to your destination.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Safety Car

@fsttyms
Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

@fsttyms
What?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Arrow Slow down while driving in snow....!!!

Those of us that have experience driving in winter still know the number one rule. Slow down! Especially during snow.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

And expect some of this.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Eurotrash

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Have you actually driven in snow, lots of snow? I have lived with it my whole life, i have put on well over 1 million miles of driving (closing in on 1.5 actually), and i am not the exception to the rule. Sure there are limitations, just like there are with stock height and honestly the typical 1.5-2" drop will drive thru just as much snow as stock height Tires are FAR more important than ground clearance. If you dont have traction you arent going anywhere.
Obviously you like to argue on internet forums. You are actually arguing that a car with 2 inches less clearance will get through just as much snow as stock height. I said "what you need in snow is ground clearance and traction."
Alright, you win: You've driven in more snow than me, so you are the uncontested snow king. Now I can't get the Mr. Plow song out of my head...

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Nicks2001tl.....that's a pretty nice contrasting tu-tone with the snow over your car.

Yeah Tosh, the Mr. Plow Song is rather catchy......but sorry, can't seem to keep it in my head. What's your secret ?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

The most important tool in winter is the snow scraper. 5 bucks!

Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Eurotrash

Yeah Tosh, the Mr. Plow Song is rather catchy......but sorry, can't seem to keep it in my head. What's your secret ?
Might be a Freudian thing where I have formed some primal memory association with the last scene from that episode, where Marge gets all frisky from seeing Homer in only that Mr. Plow jacket? I'll bring it up with my therapist...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Obviously you like to argue on internet forums. You are actually arguing that a car with 2 inches less clearance will get through just as much snow as stock height. I said "what you need in snow is ground clearance and traction."
Alright, you win: You've driven in more snow than me, so you are the uncontested snow king. Now I can't get the Mr. Plow song out of my head...
No i dont like to argue, but i also dont like people spouting out false or misinformed information. Sure if you are tucking tires you will have more difficulty than a stock height vehicle, but a 1.5-2" drop with good tires (namely snow tires) will get you through all the snow the vehicle would stock height. If the snow is that deep where you have difficulty driving odds are even a stock height vehicle is going to have issues. like you and i stated above though Tires are the single most important part of the equation. Last winter my neighbor with his stock height 335xi with all seasons got stuck on our street during a 12" snow storm, i didnt with my lowered TL and Snows.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 12-17-2013 at 09:11 AM.