Car won't start- is it the starter or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car won't start- is it the starter or battery?

I tried to start the car this morning and it cranked for a second, but didn't start. All the lights turn on ok, but now when I try to start the car, all I get is a click and a very low whirring/humming sound. The battery is close to 2 years old.

AAA tried to give me a jump start and nothing happened. The guy said it seems like the starter or the electrical system may have a problem. And it couldn't be the battery, since it didn't even crank the engine with the booster pack.

I've got a tow truck on the way, but was just wondering if any one of you could shed some light and tell me what could be wrong.

Also, if I need to replace the starter, how much should it cost with labor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well if they tried to jump start it, and still nothing happened, i might be inclined to say starter. as for cost, it depends on where you bring it. The starter on the TL is very easy to change, and if you have any tools you could do it in 30 min to a hr.

What year TL do you have?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Kris,

Does a starter fail all at once, or does it have performance degredation over time?

I had to try cranking mine 4 times yesterday before it caught, first time that has ever happened. Today was no issues.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pmptx
Kris,

Does a starter fail all at once, or does it have performance degredation over time?

I had to try cranking mine 4 times yesterday before it caught, first time that has ever happened. Today was no issues.
what do you mean by cranking it 4 times? Did you turn the key 4 times and nothing happened, or was their actually cranking but the car didnt start? Usually starters get flat spots and it doesnt do anything when you turn the key. taping on it will sometimes get it to move past the flat spot.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
what do you mean by cranking it 4 times? Did you turn the key 4 times and nothing happened, or was their actually cranking but the car didnt start? Usually starters get flat spots and it doesnt do anything when you turn the key. taping on it will sometimes get it to move past the flat spot.
Sorry, when I said crank, I meant I turned the key the starter engaged and the engine wouldn't catch.

So basically turn key>starter engage>nothing 3 times

Don't know if it is relevant, I seafoamed this weekend
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

ANY time the starter turns over the motor (especially at normal speed) its not a starter or battery problem.
If it cranks but there is no spark (where the motor starts to fire/run) then its something else. Did you happen to notice the immobilizer key on the dash? Its possible that thats what was stopping it from starting it
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Cruisin'

Turned out to be a lose wire.

Kris,

Thanks for your reply. Mine is a 2000.

While waiting for the tow truck, found a lose wire on the starter.
No fun, standing in 27F, but glad to save some $.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Atlpardi
Kris,

Thanks for your reply. Mine is a 2000.

While waiting for the tow truck, found a lose wire on the starter.
No fun, standing in 27F, but glad to save some $.
Good deal. And the strange thing is your the 2nd person to have that problem in a month time. Glad you figured it out.

( i asked for your year to see if you had a 99, as they had some ignition problems)
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear

99 TL starter problems???

What type of starter problems?? I have a 99TL with 113000 miles. The other day i got gas and when i got back in the car didn't start. It would engage and turn over but not start. Then just make a clicking noise and again a turn but no start. I had a friend try and jump me, but the same thing continued. We went to get a new battery and before I put it in the car just fired up and has been starting for about a week. Should i change the spark plugs, battery etc??? or is something else up?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

Originally Posted by lely09
What type of starter problems?? I have a 99TL with 113000 miles. The other day i got gas and when i got back in the car didn't start. It would engage and turn over but not start. Then just make a clicking noise and again a turn but no start. I had a friend try and jump me, but the same thing continued. We went to get a new battery and before I put it in the car just fired up and has been starting for about a week. Should i change the spark plugs, battery etc??? or is something else up?
i had the same thing happen to me about a month ago at a gas station. I had about 5 different people tried to give me jump before i finally ground the starter and realise that the starter was the problem
Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Yea that def sounds like a starter problem....the clicking noise gives it away. I was in tha same situation wit my old Toyota Corolla and it turned out to be a bad starter.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is the Starter?

Where is the starter and where was that wire? I am telling you - since finding this site my car is falling apart! ha. Seriously, I found you guys cause I needed answers and wanted to educate myself.

Last night I went to the store and turned the key and nothing happened. I was like - okay. Then I tried it again and it started. Then this morning I tried to start it and again is didn't start - turned the key twice and nothing. Then on the third try it stared. I had to come to work so I am here and hoping I wont be stranded here tonight.

If I open the hood - can I see the starter to see if something is not connected. I have 4 motor mounts out. Could that be the problem - could it cause the starter wire to get loose - only thing is it did start. Can a lose wire do it?

I just found out about the motor mounts on Saturday (2/16). Can I drive the car for at least 2 more weeks or should I park it? Will broken motor mounts break the car? I don't know how long they were broke either.

Can't wait to get them fixed but have to get the $$ together for repairs.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

open the nood and follow the wire off the positive bat terminal down to teh starter.

The following users liked this post:
jlertdilok (04-18-2012)
Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Thanks!

Now, say it is the starter that is in a "flat spot." Where to I tap it? Just on the side with a wrench or something? Just tap it lightly? I guess I can check the cable to make sure is on the positive battery post, then check the cable from the battery to the starter. If all is well and it doesnt start - then I guess I can tap it. Also, would a broken motor mount cause the starter to act up?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

just tap it on the side. Make sure all teh connections are tight. No the mounts wont casue it to go bad
Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Thanks!

Wouldn't you know it - it has stopped doing that. It is starting fine now. I will look under the hood and double check the positive cable - Starter wires and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

In my case, I just followed the positive cable, just as Kris mentioned, and found the starter.

Wasn't sure what I was doing at that time, but thought of checking the connections, and one of the wires on the starter was barely hanging on to its connector. I pushed it in and haven't had any problems since then.

Well, other than that someone tapped the car from the rear (the idiot couldn't stop... slammed on his brakes on ice) while my wife was waiting for her signal to go green and did a 180 and hit a Chev Suburban.

Back to the starter cables, I had the same problem you (mendozad) had. It would start sometimes and not the others.

Hopefully it's a lose cable in your case too and not anything serious.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Advanced

I will check

I checked the positive cable on the battery and it looked fine and was on tight. I forgot to follow the positive to the starter - guess that is what women do - but I will check today. Hope its a loose wire too. I keep having that same problem. Sometimes it wont do anything - other times it starts right up. When I turn the key - nothing happens and I didn't notice if the lights came on when I turned it. Then when I try again. I get a good grip on the key and turn it firmly. I see all the things light up and next time will have my glasses on to see if it does say something.