Car wont start now....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car wont start now....

I want to Walmart and when I tried to start the car - it did nothing. The dash lights all came one but there was no clicking that I remember. I was like...man! So I tried it again and it started. I went home and had to run another errand later and it did it again. From the store it started fine so I went to my daughters and when I tried to leave it would not do start - no ignition sound, no clicking, nothing BUT the lights on the dash all came on like it always does. The lights did come on too but would not turn on.

I borrowed her car and later in the day went back. I tried to start the car several times, fast, back to back and it caught after several attempts. I turned off the car and since I should have moved the car up in her driveway thought I'd try my luck again. It started right up, moved the car up and parked it. I kept her car for the rest of the day since I knew I could not trust it and its hot in TEXAS! I finally went back to see if I could start the car to take it home or to the AutoZone to check it out but it does not start at all now, no sound at all and still the dash lights and head lights all turn on. My boyfriend is taking the battery right now to auto zone to see if its low. If its not - could it be the starter? IF it is, where is the diy link so I can see if we can do it oursleves. We can take the starter to see if it really is the starter and if so get a new one and replace it.

Thanks for help!

P.S. My boyfriend does not work on cars but I am sure I can help him fix it with YOUR help!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
What year is your car?

It could very well be the starter. Its very easy to change and see with the battery out. It sticks out of the trans on the front side of the motor. Just unhook the wires going to it and pull the 2 bolts out that hold it in.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Thanks -

Its a 2000 TL with 298,800 miles! ha! Its never had a starter put in but I have replaced the alternator a few years back. Is there a URL or something I can see to help me change it?

I know we have to disconnect the battery so I told my boyfriend - take out the battery and go and make sure its charged. If it is charged - then we can go ahead and take out the starter - have it tested to make sure its not a relay so we don't have to pay for something we don't need.

I will let you know how it goes.

Please, someone can you give me a URL or pics of how you changed your starter in your 2000 TL?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

There isnt a diy that i know of. But it is as easy as i described.
The following users liked this post:
mendozad (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM
"Inherited" 1999 TL

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Youtube video:
Another text description: http://www.s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6175
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced

We did what the info said and we also got the info from this site: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1826924-s...ra_2000_tl_3_2

It tells you step by step too. The bolts were not the same as it said we would need to use. Both bolts were very hard to take off using just the socket and rachet. Being our first job ever we had to figure out what we could use to hit the rachet down to make it unscrew. So we got my grandsons baseball batt and put the end on the reachet - it was secure on the bolt/socket. We then took a 5 lb dumbbell and hit the top of the baseball bat and - it lossened the bolt. We had to do both of the big screw like this because they would not budge. Then it was easy street. We just put it back together in reverse and the car started right up. Before we bought the started we had it tested and I saw that it would start but then when he tried it again it failed. It failed 3 times pass 4 times but it was bad.

Thanks to all of you for helping me. I didn't know if I can post those instructions from that the other site so I just added the URL so maybe it could help someone like me.

Thanks again - you saved me so much money. My car is 12 years old - has almost 300,000 miles but I love my car. Its very comfortable and the new cars just don't feel like my car. Also, I did purchase the refurbished one - that is all they had in stock but I was going to buy that one anyway. It cost $144.50 - but I got back $42.50 for the cocre. It actually cost $111.00 with the tax $102 + tax. Since I had the starter with me he didn't charge the core charge. A new on would have been $146.00 and you get $10 for the core. Figured I did ok on the deal and I am in my car today! Took us about and hour and a half to do the job. I got to help so that was fun too.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh, and it sounds like you need a larger ratchet
Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
B A N N E D

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mendozad
We did what the info said and we also got the info from this site: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1826924-s...ra_2000_tl_3_2

It tells you step by step too. The bolts were not the same as it said we would need to use. Both bolts were very hard to take off using just the socket and rachet. Being our first job ever we had to figure out what we could use to hit the rachet down to make it unscrew. So we got my grandsons baseball batt and put the end on the reachet - it was secure on the bolt/socket. We then took a 5 lb dumbbell and hit the top of the baseball bat and - it lossened the bolt. We had to do both of the big screw like this because they would not budge. Then it was easy street. We just put it back together in reverse and the car started right up. Before we bought the started we had it tested and I saw that it would start but then when he tried it again it failed. It failed 3 times pass 4 times but it was bad.

Thanks to all of you for helping me. I didn't know if I can post those instructions from that the other site so I just added the URL so maybe it could help someone like me.

Thanks again - you saved me so much money. My car is 12 years old - has almost 300,000 miles but I love my car. Its very comfortable and the new cars just don't feel like my car. Also, I did purchase the refurbished one - that is all they had in stock but I was going to buy that one anyway. It cost $144.50 - but I got back $42.50 for the cocre. It actually cost $111.00 with the tax $102 + tax. Since I had the starter with me he didn't charge the core charge. A new on would have been $146.00 and you get $10 for the core. Figured I did ok on the deal and I am in my car today! Took us about and hour and a half to do the job. I got to help so that was fun too.

im guessing your car made it that far due to your problem solving and diagnostics hahaha good job good to hear the ladies takeing care of there cars!!! and thats great to hear id it made it 300k im sure it can make it another 300 no problem
Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Hey...

I don't think I needed a bigger rachet, I wish I had a smaller one that fit a 17mm bolt. The fan was in the way so instead of having the rachet - say at 1:00 and pushing it down to unscrew the bolt, I had to have it at 5:00 and had to use my intuition to figure out how to get that bottom bolt lose cause it would not budge. A few good wacks and it was lose. I actually unscrewed it with my hand. It would have been way easy if I had the right tools but I had just a basic kit with a rachet and the sockets. Had to by the 17mm cause it didn't come in the kit.

I guess the moral of the story is, if I can do, then anyone can do it. It starts great and makes me smile every time I start it now.

Thanks guys!