PIC REQUEST: VIP TLs & VIP mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you all need to do alot of research on what VIP is, and how the style is executed on non platforms...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
oem i believe.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vivftp
Well I couldn't really find anything that gave me a straight definition of a VIP car, but I'd already browsed through several websites demonstrating VIP-style vehicles from a variety of manufacturers.

As for the cars pictured, very purdy... I do notice that pretty much all VIP-styled cars I've seen thus far have the visors on 'em... I'd never really thought about it as something I'd consider classy.

One question though, since I've seen this on other "VIP cars" why is it that the tires seem to stick out at an angle? Is that just due to the nature of them having air ride and the bags are deflated in those particular pics? Or is there something else at play here?
sign up for this forum and read the threads in the 101 section. Heres also a good article to read
http://www.(typein"VIP"then"STYLE")c...ewarticle&id=1
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man do you have alot of hw to do...if your thinking of puttin 7.5" wheels on the car dont even try going for the vip style look..im running 9" and i would say thats just not enough like i said before in my earlier post try looking at vip style cars dot com they have alot of info there and i think the people on that forum can help more than the people on this one.

kthnxbye
Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

klepto azine doesnt allow you to post other forums so you have to edit your psot
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

arghh fucking censored links, heres some articles

Mr. Yuen of Junction Produce USA speaks on J-VIP and its history

VIP Cars
History:

The VIP car style had its beginnings, oddly enough, in the poorer sections of Japan about 15 years ago. Originally, VIP cars were the creation of a group of enthusiasts called Black Cockroach in Wakayama Prefecture of Japan. The Black Cockroach team consisted of a black Cima (Infiniti Q45), Cedric (currently Infiniti M45), Celsior (Lexus LS) and Crown (no US equivalent), which were uniquely styled and exemplified the owner's personalities. Many of the VIP cars had deep ties to the Japanese underground group, better known as the Yakuza, or Japanese mafia. Keeping with the mystic and underground origins of the scene, most of the cars were colored black. In the years afterwards, a team named VIP Company was established by Takahiro Taketomi, the eventual owner of Junction Produce, a leader in VIP styling in Japan.

In the early years of the VIP movement, there was a Japanese magazine called Young Auto, which exhibited modified cars predominantly owned by Japanese motorcycle gang members. The magazine editors selected these cars to attract readers and exemplify this type of automotive modification. Before the naming of VIP cars, the cars modified in this style were called a Haiso car (high society saloon cars). As time went on, the name VIP CLUB became synonymous with the remodeling of high end luxury cars. This was the birth of the phrase VIP. VIP CLUB eventually became the very popular Japanese magazine, VIP Car Magazine. VIP Car Magazine demonstrated the artistry and quality of luxury cars modified in the VIP style and was instrumental in bringing this style of automotive customization to the public. With the help of Young Auto magazine and VIP Car Magazine, the popularity of VIP cars soon spread from Osaka, to Sendai city in Miyagi prefecture, and eventually across all of Japan.

Traditional Definition:

Tradition VIP car definition is very simple. Usually pronounced V-I-P (vee-eye-pee) and meaning Very Important Person, the true pronunciation is VIP, or bippu, where it's pronounced like a word.

Cars that fit into the VIP category are predominantly rear wheel drive Japanese luxury platforms such as the Celsior, CIMA, Cedric/Gloria, and Crown, just to name a few. These cars are usually the more expensive models and are usually purchased by the more affluent car owners. It's not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these platforms. Many VIP purists will not consider any other platforms as VIP, even though other cars can take the styling cues from the larger VIP sedans. This is commonly known as VIP Styling which will be covered later.

VIP Characteristics:

VIP cars can loosely be translated to “Low and Wide”. Some general characteristics of traditional VIP Style (but not limited to) are:

• Large/wide multi-piece wheels (with large lips and low offsets) that are flush to the fender
• Stretched tires in order to tuck the wheels under the fenders
• Low stance via adjustable suspension or air ride
• Substantial body kits to achieve the “Wide” look
• Custom body work to accentuate the “Wide” look
• Custom video and audio components and installations
• Wood grain interiors with additional trays and extensions on the dash
• Custom seats and mats
• Additional and upgraded internal and external lighting
• Louder exhausts with larger tips
• Engine/performance work (though not as popular)

VIP Culture:

When VIP car enthusiasts in Japan build their car, they immerse themselves in the culture of VIP Car. Accessories like Noburi Flags, clothing, lighters, teddy bears, fans, and every accessory that a company makes are purchased and proudly displayed. Some items normally only found in wealthy homes are found, right at home, inside their cars. Many automotive events and gatherings in Japan are steeped in the tradition of the VIP culture. Simple gatherings of enthusiasts can turn into major events. As usual in the Japanese culture, the cars are the stars, but socializing and even food are main attractions. VIP Car has a sense of pride within the Japanese community on its luxury vehicles. It all follows the fascination for those who uphold the code of living in the lap of luxury.

VIP Styling

VIP styling is taking the aspects that was started in Japan with the VIP Cars and merging them onto cars that aren't really considered VIP car platforms. Some platforms that are gaining popularity are the K-cars (Vitz, Scion, and other econo-box cars), vans (Odyssey and Previas) and many other vehicles (G35, IS300, 300Zs) that have been heavily influenced by the VIP Style. That also has trickled into our US domestic market with the larger cars like the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum.

Where does this all fit into the US market? If you ask a VIP purist, it starts with the platform. A Lexus GS, LS or an Infiniti M or Q will always be considered VIP platforms. Unfortunately, many of the VIP platforms in Japan have not made it to the US market. Traditional VIP platforms like the Crown, Cedric, and President, never made it to our shores. As a result, the market has been narrowed which is why the VIP style has been applied to US spec cars like the G35, IS3, 350Z, as well as European marques too.

the article from the site I linked above

MY Interpretation of VIP Cars

Back in 2000, when I first got the GS400, it was decided that the car would be a daily driver and I would keep it simple. However, like always that changed when I began to research what other parts were available in Japan and not here in the US. I picked up my first Hyper Rev book for the JZS161 Toyota Aristo, with the intention of finding rims for my GS. However, it wasn't the Blitz or Sard Aristo that caught my eye, it was the Aristos from the companies like Fabulous, Sessions, and of course Junction Produce. There began this obsession for this thing called VIP Style Cars.

VIP Style or VIP car is very simple. Pronounced VIP or bippu not vee-eye-pee, like how we are used to saying it, but it is pronounced like a word. In Japan there is a large variety of luxury sedans available to purchase. VIP car starts with just that, the platform or the car. Its not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these cars. From Toyota, you have the Century, Celsior, Aristo, Crown, and Majesta. From Nissan you have the President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric, and the Q45. Then they take these platforms and merge on a massive bodykit, larger rims that push the boundaries of offset fitment, an air suspension so that they can drive as low as they possibly can, and we can't forget about the exhausts that goes on these VIP Cars. Now, taking these aspects of a VIP Car, you then apply it to cars not accepted as a VIP Car. This in turn created a term I like to define as VIP Style Cars. There is a difference in Japan in regards to a VIP Car and lets say a K-Car or Style Wagon. All those styles bring up similar aspects of VIP Car but what makes a VIP Car “VIP” is the car itself. Taking the aspects that was started in Japan with the VIP Cars and merging them onto cars that aren't really considered VIP car platforms. You now see K-cars (Vitz, Scion, and other econo-box cars),vans (Oddessy and Previas) and many other vehicles (G35, IS300, 300Zs) with a heavy VIP Style influence. That also has trickled into our US market with the Scions xA and xB. European cars can fall within the “definition of a VIP car” but isn't as popular of a platform mainly because of an untold requirement. VIP Car has a sense of pride within the Japanese community on its luxury vehicles. However, I am now seeing shows like the Tokyo Special Import Car Show similar to Tokyo Auto Salon now being invaded by Junction Produce, Fabulous, and Auto Couture. When they build their car, they immense themselves in the culture of VIP Car… Noburi Flags, clothing, and getting EVERY accessory that the company made like lighters, teddy bears, fans, and other things.

Fitment of the wheels has always been the largest, most defining aspect that the US market uses for VIP Cars. This also brings the most controversy as well. The most heated debates on Cars.com came from topics concerning cars and and wheel fitments. We had terms like, if it ain't flush, it ain't VIP. I agree that proper fitment is the key to making a VIP Car look good, however my whole take on it… the car determines if it's a VIP car, not the wheel choice. When I had the chance to visit Japan recently, I saw VIP cars that didn't have the extreme wheel lip that we are so used to seeing here. Yes, the offsets were extremely aggressive however, they were still flat faced wheels with no lip whatsoever. I just don't think it looks right unless the fitment was aggressive in my opinion, which is the reason I'm personally on a quest for new wheels for our GS400.

Next is the suspension, Air suspensions has become the norm. One main reason is the fact that some of these VIP cars come with a factory installed air suspension already. All that needed to be added to control this factory option was an Air controller like one from Data Systems. This gave you the chance to lower and raise your car without changing any suspension parts. This didn't bring the car down as low as we would like it to be, so then we went and looked up companies like Air Runner, Bold World, Universal Air, Canover, and many others. You had a choice of either a canister setup or the sleeve bag on a shock option. That way, you were able to just lay the frame on the car down on the ground and still be able to drive away when its time to go. Trust me, in Japan, their roads and driveways weren't pretty, how they drove these cars around on a daily basis boggles me… Coilovers are still VERY popular for the hardcore, cause they are still able to find the height that they want for driving and show purposes and costs less than half the price of air suspension set-ups. Hydraulic setups are now being touched upon by the likes of Tein to control their coilovers and be able to raise and lower the car from within the cabin. This is only available to wagons and vans from when I last looked into it, but im sure now, there might be more applications and companies venturing into this.

Interiors and sound systems of these cars can get very Gotti. Wood grain and screens are the first most obvious mods on the interior. You will see Wood grain trays on these cars. Screens for Navigation and of course, Video viewing is dominant. The sound systems I saw were very elaborate like the ones were see here in CES. One some cars, I saw wood grain all over the trunk to accent the subs that were stuffed in there.

Lastly, the body kits… Companies like Fabulous, Junction Produce, Wald, Veilside, Sessions, Auto Couture, Insurance, and many many others offer a variety of styles to choose from. The defining factor is the size of these kits. They are never “puny” but more an elaboration of the factory lines. You can choose from the more milder, cleaner look like from Junction Produce, Admiration and Auto Couture. Then you can choose the aggressive lines like Fabulous, LA club, and Veilside. Then the EXTREME VIP Cars will come out with custom widebodies and fender flares that will just make you take a double take more than once (even if that's not possible). Taking a cue from the wheels aspect of it, they then take the most widest wheel with the most aggressive offset possible and just bolt those onto the car with no problems.

Where does this all fit into the US market? With companies whos operations are based here are now trying to define the VIP market as Bentlys, Benzs, and other high end Euro cars, it basically leaves out the cars where it all began with for me, The Lexus GS and LS, and the Infiniti M and Q series. Yes, the US automobile market may not have the choice of Japanese luxury cars found in Japan but we make do with what we are provided. However the view of VIP Car or VIP Style Cars is being EXTREMELY skewed in the US and leaves the hardcore VIP Car enthusiast with a sour taste in its mouth. VIP Car starts with the platform first. 350Zs, G35s, Scions, Accords, and other cars are defining the VIP Style Car… VIP Style Cars was mainly a term devised to help define the difference from a VIP Car platform and a car accessorized with VIP styling. This website has room for everyone. I created this site for the reason to give these people a home to learn and educate each other. Whether you own a VIP Car or own a VIP Style Car… Yes, we will have to define our own definition of VIP Style Cars but we can't stray too far from the foundation of it all. There will be those of us who will stick to our VIP Car platforms and those who will decide that their Scion fits the platform as well. Both sides are correct in that matter. What is wrong is to decide that our VIP Car platforms are not acceptable platforms
STANCE IS KEY!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Racer

Sweet Jebus, thnx!

I can't really read all that right now as I'm at work, but first chance I get I'll take it all in
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I bolded the cliffs
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
um.. cliff.. kthxbye..

lol...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by klepto
I bolded the cliffs
Originally Posted by jjashaa
um.. cliff.. kthxbye..

lol...

ok..nvm...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jjashaa
ok..nvm...
:troutslap
Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by klepto
:troutslap
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow thats vzup's car? man i remember the first day he logged on and everyone flamed him cus of his upside down A emblem, very nice
Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Unregistered user

blaze kit imo.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
blaze kit imo.
Hmm, from a quick search it appears that it's only for the 99-01 TLs.

Hrm... it does seem that the older 2G TLs have more kits and whatnot than the 02-03 TLs, no?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Drifting

yea well theres only so many kits, blaze, value, and skipper.. and oem of course.. all are for the 99-01, but can make it work on a 02-03 like mildblues did
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Racer

yep, just need a lot of money and patience
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
DESI miern

Would I have to do anything to the car for 8.5" rims to fit? I was actually thinking 7.5"...
YES, 8.5 is pretty much the minimum.. most people go even wider

This is where I'm a bit confused. I've read that the A-Spec comes with the "aero kit"... is that the same thing as the OEM kit, or different? From memory, they look pretty similar.
they're the same thing.. if you get the A-Spec, it already has a kit

I'll try!
not try, you HAVE to slam that sucker

... wha?
Any pics of this?

Last edited by NoLimitDeC; 11-17-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Racer

Amazingly cool quotes, yes
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
spaz

cant beat that...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
... wha?
Any pics of this?

It's called a FUSA Knot and if you want to go VIP you need to get this.

The Fusa Knot is a tassel that originated from the traditional Danjiri festival in Osaka. The tassel's design was originally a charm that decorated the helmets of soldiers in ancient Japan and is a form of 'good luck' charm. It is more specifically a religious (specifically Shinto) symbol of abundant harvest (as used in the Danjiri Matsuri). It is likely a derivation of the buddhist 'mystic knot', which, having no end, symbolizes the infinite wisdom of buddha.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:03 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by VoLLy

I think it looks like a POS.. :/
Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 AM
DESI miern

^^ came in with a bang!! lol
Old 11-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tegkid

cant beat that...
Hmm, ok then... I suppose I'll revise my earlier statement. If the above picture represents the interior of what's considered a VIP car, then I suppose I'm not all that interested in having one.

It's an impressive looking interior, but to me it just looks gaudy and impractical. The curtains would be an annoyance when checking blind spots and I don't personally have much use for 'em. The rear view mirror looks tacky IMO. Now that I know what the FUSA Knot is all about, I don't see myself doing it. As for the wood trim, I personally want to eliminate all wood trim from the interior, which is one of the reasons I love the A-Spec so much.

I do, however, like that leather pillow for bracing your neck on the drivers seat though... looks pretty comfortable

Hmm... so I guess VIP might not be for me afterall... although some qualities from VIP-style cars might be things I'd like to go with like wider tires and all...

Last edited by vivftp; 11-18-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Advanced

cant beat that...

the wood on the center console is a little bit much, the steering wheel i like though!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Racer

Could someone tell me what the controller in the sunglass visor is? My guess is controls for the air ride, but just curious.

I'd like to find something to put in there too eventually, but not sure what, since I won't be going for the air ride. The only thing I might be considering so far that could go there is the display for the tire pressure sensors
Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by eleventure
wow, thats big, I dont think I can drive around with this thing swinging around, my parking pass is enough to get me annoyed when im driving.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Racer

Indeed. The way I already sit in the car, the rearview mirror is already blocking out a large portion of my field of vision in front of me. I know it'll be a little worse since I want to get a bigger one, but something like the FUSA Knot would be way too much of an annoyance for me.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Could someone tell me what the controller in the sunglass visor is? My guess is controls for the air ride, but just curious.

I'd like to find something to put in there too eventually, but not sure what, since I won't be going for the air ride. The only thing I might be considering so far that could go there is the display for the tire pressure sensors
Yep, its the controller for the air suspension
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Drifting

cant beat that...

so hes got a fusa and stick on woodgrain, and mirror with gems that replaces a mirror the autodims? ive seen much better interiors on a second gen TL.. and fusas are more of an american thing then anything.. you dont see many vipcars in japan with them maybe 1 out of ever 400 or so..
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Again, 85% of you need to do your research on VIP, and how VIP styling is executed on non platform cars..

Just because he has air and a fusa.. not vip whatsoever.. horribly fitting rims, and a multi-tone white car does not = vip/ vip style.. and yeah i know he has new rims, and those fit like shit too..

This is a well executed d TL.. notice the stance.. stance is everything in VIP..

Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
Again, 85% of you need to do your research on VIP, and how VIP styling is executed on non platform cars..

Just because he has air and a fusa.. not vip whatsoever.. horribly fitting rims, and a multi-tone white car does not = vip/ vip style.. and yeah i know he has new rims, and those fit like shit too..

This is a well executed d TL.. notice the stance.. stance is everything in VIP..

if only we can drive slammed
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

vip=negative camber ftw
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Advanced

I saw this thread a while ago of a 2nd gen tl modified by a japanese owner, the car looks really nice, maybe a little bit too low though. I think that this is an example of vip:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/nicest-led-tail-light-conversion-ive-seen-one-nicest-tls-641971/

Also, why are the tires slightly slanted on some of the cars in this thread? I'm not much into modding.... yet.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Unregistered user

Just because he has air and a fusa.. not vip whatsoever.. horribly fitting rims, and a multi-tone white car does not = vip/ vip style.. and yeah i know he h
<3 stance as well, can't get enough of it.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, why are the tires slightly slanted on some of the cars in this thread?

neg. camber FTW

/----\
Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Racer

seriously, i dont care if u have really nice rims, if you dont have stance, u aint got crap. push the limit as much as possible or maybe even further, u pay to play
Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Nighthawk Black Pearl

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MurdaZ
vip=negative camber ftw
x2 on that. And like Phrosttz0 said, stance is everything.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Preach brudah Preach!!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

anybody know the specs on the wheels?

Quick Reply: PIC REQUEST: VIP TLs & VIP mods