On Going Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006 | 09:51 PM
Toronto, ONTARIO

okay, my mistake.. alot of people**
Old 05-02-2006 | 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaliChris517
please dont get yellow fogs... i hate that ugly ass yellow color on the fogs... and can u take some pics of the fogs... even tho they are not installed everyone wants to see them. and where did u get them? site? part #?
I never got them from a website, they came from a salvage yard.
not hating but theres a reason that you didnt take the pics of the fogs yet. lets be real you posted pics of led bulbs you would have posted these pics.
Patience my friend, once i'm able to get all of my obligations out of the way, I'll be posting pictures, I did promise everyone I would, I never usually go back on them. haha
do not go with H-tech teins.. you will not be happy, alot of people with tein h-techs mostly get saggins in the rear.....
you may want to look into, H&R's or S-techs ... or even tein SS coilovers
I might as well give them a try, I mean hey.. if you're getting them for only $120 from someone cool, you wouldn't mind it as well! haha
he tranny jerking. on my 99... I have not noticed anything in any of the grears 1-4... but reverse is another story. almost every time (1 in 3? or so) i put it in reverse i hear this clunk as it slips into gear or as im reversing i hear it.... i really home the damn reverse holds up.. im scared to post this cuz of what ppl minght say.. "OH SHIT, YOUR TRANNYS FUCKED!" i hope not!
Sorry to say this.. but you will be needing to get your tranny fixed in the future. Mine did that especially when it was cold starting back in January.. i just thought the tranny was just too cold to bare the weather... found that out the hard way...later on...when you accelerate, you end up thinking it's your engine mounts... it's definitely not. if you're ever on the highway and you're headed somewhere.. and your engine light and TCS light come on even though everything SEEMS fine... TURN AROUND and go home. You'll know you've reached the point of no return once the light comes on.

No worries people, I won't be on here for a while until finals are over (been too busy studying/writing papers), than I'll be catering to your picture savvy needs.
Old 05-02-2006 | 08:50 PM
Banned

I was wondering, has anyone ever provided charts showing the difference in peak power when it comes to the installation of the AEM CAI?.. I was looking at their website for comparison charts, and this is the closest i was able to find to a 99/00 TL.. if anyone has any available and able to post up a comparison chart, that'd be lovely!

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...pe-S%20CAS.pdf

sure it's only the type-s, but if you do the numbers right and make a ratio of the TL-P to the TL-S, the numbers would make more sense..
I know there would be somewhat of a power gain, but i was just wondering how much of a power gain there is. Me and a bunch of friends have driven the car wiht the new CAI installed and there'd a huge difference in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2006 | 09:15 PM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Originally Posted by varunverma23
mine does the same.
Originally Posted by special e. dition
Mine does the same thing! My driveway has an incline so I started parking with the nose of my car facing down. Now when I put it in reverse there is no "clunking" sound but I do know what you are speaking of.!

I dont think this is anything major. From what i have gather on the forums, all honda/acura's have some type of reverse noise as it slips into reverse or as you start reversing. but it seems like the 99s have pretty reliable transmissions.
Old 05-02-2006 | 09:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joe80055
I never got them from a website, they came from a salvage yard.
Hmmmmm, in post 79 you said you got them ordered from Autozone. So which is it? Why is it so hard to take pictures of the fogs in the box, out of the box, out on a table, etc, etc which is what you did with everything else?

I think its time to call shenanigans!!!!!

OntarioTL
Old 05-03-2006 | 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OntarioTL
Hmmmmm, in post 79 you said you got them ordered from Autozone. So which is it? Why is it so hard to take pictures of the fogs in the box, out of the box, out on a table, etc, etc which is what you did with everything else?

I think its time to call shenanigans!!!!!

OntarioTL
I'm sure you remember me saying this:
As for the OEM fog lights.. that's the last thing i'm putting on the car after everythign else is done.. it looks pretty decent. It reminds me of the TL-X that was demo'd a few years back. Just as a reminder.. there are oem's for the 99... the only place i was able to find mine were at autozone (special order)
I did do a special order through Autozone, the one in Providence, RI.. they found a pair for me through a salvage yard.. hence, the words "special order". haha If you want, i'll give you the store's number and you can ask them about it if you're in doubt.
Old 05-03-2006 | 08:21 AM
Racer

Has anybody else here beat a G35 with a 99 TL?? I kinda find this hard to believe since I've ran both my TL and G35 side by side whether it's me driving it, my brother, or my dad, the TL couldn't surpass it. and even against a SL500? so you sayin that our 4 speed tranny TL can outrun a V-8. geez, my dad's V-8 C500 leaves me like 5 cars behind in a snap.....

iono, not bashin dude, just wonderin how you did that, or if anyone else was able to accomplish that cuz if i can make my TL faster like that, hit me up, i wanna make it a V-8 Killa.

Oh, btw, i'm not really feelin the white LED windshield nozzles , i think those lights are kinda tacky and makes a nice car look cheap. no complaints about anything you do, but just those. Not a big fan of exterior lighting like that, if you do underglows(not tryin to hint anything) it's not a big deal, but something that can be seen like that.... nuh uh, cheapy. PLUS, iono about Rhode Island, but i know for sure that those lights here in Texas will get you a ticket. I got one a few years back and couldn't fight it, they say either it's a display or illegal lighting or (believe it or not, got one for this too) display of too many lights in front. apparently they had some kinda violation code for having too many white lights in front. dickhead cops!!!

but whatever floats your boat dude, it's just my

mad props for what you been doin, keep up the good work
Old 05-03-2006 | 09:09 AM
Banned

Haha, no offense taken, it's all good.. I was waiting for someone to come with the skepticism about what i've gone against so far... Yes, I did race a G35 with the TL a few days back. It's not the power of the engine I rely on whenever i'm going against someone, it's where my car is located that I count on.. I stayed behind the two each time they tried to pull away... as long as i'm drafting behind another car, the vaccum between the two helps alot when I try to catch up.. less drag for me to deal with compared to the car in front.. so after a few secs, i'll be able to pull ahead when the time's right... I'll NEVER race a car side by side if I know i'll get beat, so why use muscle if you can use learned technique instead? Now my friend, if i were to start off at a dead stop with the G35 or the benz, then it'd be a different story.. I know for a fact that i'd loose. haha
As for the windshield wiper nozzle leds, that was my first mod.. ever.. this is wayyy before I really started doing research on the car and finding out all of these other ideas, so for a typical noob at first, this is definitely something a typical boob would do. haha Besides, in Rhode Island, while i was doing my paper route, a cop i became friends with told me as long as it's not blue or red (simulating emergency vehicles) then i'll be fine. I don't even turn them on anyway.. i just left them alone for the time being..

Thanks for the props! Dude, getting compliments like those makes me want to continue modding the car.. definitely a great motivator.

I'm off to take a few exams, then off to several autoplaces for transmission repair quotes
Old 05-03-2006 | 09:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by joe80055
I'm sure you remember me saying this:
I did do a special order through Autozone, the one in Providence, RI.. they found a pair for me through a salvage yard.. hence, the words "special order". haha If you want, i'll give you the store's number and you can ask them about it if you're in doubt.
Why would I want to call them? It's as simple as taking a few pics of these fogs, posting them, and then everyone who requested to see them can move on. Like I said before, you had no problem posting all the other pics of your mods, why is it so hard to not post pics of these so called OEM 99TL fogs? It's like your dangling a piece of cheese for us 99-01 TL owners with this tibit of information to keep your post alive.

OntarioTL
Old 05-03-2006 | 09:42 AM
Back in a Type S

Why would I want to call them? It's as simple as taking a few pics of these fogs, posting them, and then everyone who requested to see them can move on. Like I said before, you had no problem posting all the other pics of your mods, why is it so hard to not post pics of these so called OEM 99TL fogs? It's like your dangling a piece of cheese for us 99-01 TL owners with this tibit of information to keep your post alive.

OntarioTL
Dude...you're obsessed!

Give this guy a break. Did you read that his tranny just died, and that he has tons of exams? I'm sure he has more important things to do like finding a new tranny and passing school.
Old 05-03-2006 | 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
Dude...you're obsessed!

Give this guy a break. Did you read that his tranny just died, and that he has tons of exams? I'm sure he has more important things to do like finding a new tranny and passing school.
Not obsessed, just curious. And hey, you don't have to worry about fogs do you now?

I do feel sorry for joe loosing his tranny, don't get me wrong, and exams are time consuming. Yes he has more important things to do, but still somehow finds time to sit on his computer to reply back on this site. So giving Joe a break, he doesn't need it, but I will stop yammering about it. Have better things to do, such as work on my own car.
Old 05-03-2006 | 12:00 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

OntarioTL
In Joe's defense here is a link to a pair for sale on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem
WTF stop hating bitches!!!

This will continue to be my phrase for the HATERS! STOP HATIN' BITCHES!
Old 05-03-2006 | 12:25 PM
HELP!

i'm surprised autozone would special order JDM parts....
Old 05-03-2006 | 12:26 PM
Pro

Read the link. they dont even fit on oem usdm bumpers. so hopefully that isnt the pair he bought. its not hating its amazement bc ive been searching for oem fogs for at least a yr and a half and they do not make them. everyone else whos an OG with a 99-01 tl can tell you that. it wasnt even an option.
Old 05-03-2006 | 12:36 PM
Pro

Read the link. they dont even fit on oem usdm bumpers. so hopefully that isnt the pair he bought. its not hating its amazement bc ive been searching for oem fogs for at least a yr and a half and they do not make them. everyone else whos an OG with a 99-01 tl can tell you that. it wasnt even an option. i actually agree with ontario, lest face it he posted 16 pictures of everything before/after/when he recieved it/when he bought it/links to the site blah blah. just post the damn pics, it really does seem like hes just trying to keep his thread alive or something.
Old 05-03-2006 | 01:06 PM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

yeah i really hope u didnt get those either... you would have to buy an inspire bumper if u got those lights... lol
Old 05-03-2006 | 02:29 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by vtlec01
...... they dont even fit on oem usdm bumpers.

Dremel...attachment hardware..DONE! Like anything "just snaps" into place these days.
Old 05-03-2006 | 02:41 PM
Pro

Dremel...attachment hardware..DONE! Like anything "just snaps" into place these days.
ya, you got a point but still hes claiming theyre oem. all im saying is i wanna see them.
Old 05-23-2006 | 03:03 PM
Banned

I'm Back!

Hey Guys..

I'm back! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm glad to say, that since finals and school's finally over, I'll be back on here to update you guys on my progress so far. Car's still in the shop (long wait), but i decided to go ahead and continue with the mods despite the inability to drive...

Here's the upcoming mods for the car...

Thanks to Mark (ProvidenceLeaf), I have the H-Tiens

And Thanks to Jared (kuni808)' on the black market, got the 18" Nakayama Rims are on the way! Definitely a steal indeed. I'd do business with him again anytime--highly cooperative.

Next, 35% 3M tint all around
DC Sports Headers
UR Underdrive/Crank pulley
And much more!

The car's definitely going to be ready by June 17... and as for vtlec01... you may see those fogs in person once i'm able to get them in on time

The wiring is definitely PITA though; I'm still doing searches for DIY on that.
Old 05-23-2006 | 06:10 PM
Pro

haha if i didnt read the whole thing i was going to flame you and ask why the pics of this stuff but not the fogs. hopefully ill be there the 17th with 2 new guys. and my new "mods" as you guys love to say
Old 05-24-2006 | 05:31 AM
Banned

haha if i didnt read the whole thing i was going to flame you and ask why the pics of this stuff but not the fogs. hopefully ill be there the 17th with 2 new guys. and my new "mods" as you guys love to say
"you guys"?.. what do you mean..."you guys"? lol j/k.. what do you have planned to add on to your car? I'm just dying to have the car back, it's been in the shop for a while and I'm dying to get it ready in time for the meet coming up... I'll be doing 3 mods in a day every other day since everything's all coming in all at once. I'll be posting pics soon...

Question though, are there any good tint shops around your way? The closest one around me is in Mass, but I figured I'd ask you since you're from a pretty good area when it comes to businesses.

Also, what brand of caliper paint do you know of is good? I'm planning on painting my calipers a glossy jet black and I can't find the color anywhere.. have any recommendations?
Old 05-24-2006 | 09:30 AM
Pro

umm lets see.... best tint place around me is in westport,ma on route 6, not sure what its called. as for mods ill post em up when theyre on haha. 2 are on and a couple are on the way some are performance, some are cosmeic and some are niether. im more into showing people when its on the car not in a box, i think that takes the fun out of it for the most part.
Old 06-01-2006 | 02:26 AM
Instructor

whers the pics of the fogs? thats the one thing everyone wants to see.
Old 06-01-2006 | 05:03 PM
Pro

come on joe ... i wanna see these fogs. if not on here i better see them on the 17th
Old 06-01-2006 | 08:08 PM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

NICE set of wheels there!! haha. i hope you enjoy them as much as i did. post up some pics as soon as you get them. ohh yeah remember to get new kug nuts as well. OEMs are not going to work. let me know when you recieve the wheels it should be this week. !!!

it was good to do business with you as well very reliable and came though as promised!!! much props!!!
Old 06-07-2006 | 07:30 PM
Banned

Update

Check this out guys... My second tranny.... a new record, dies in 50 miles...

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/9-teraflop-supercomputer-ibm-gm-138289/

As for the fogs, pics will be up before the week's over, I have to go ahead and take them out of my trunk (the car's in NY). Hopefully I have my car back again in time and everything installed before the meet
Old 06-29-2006 | 09:03 PM
Banned

The XS Power Headers came in today! :estatic: The mods will begin asap hopefully next week when I get the chance. I'll post pics whenever I can
Old 06-29-2006 | 09:12 PM
Banned

Recieved the XS Power Headers today! Mods will go underway as soon as I have the time to do so. Pics will be posted as well!
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:32 AM
Instructor

hey question about your foglamps: are they the same shape as the foglamp holes on our bumpers or different?
Old 06-30-2006 | 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by varunverma23
hey question about your foglamps: are they the same shape as the foglamp holes on our bumpers or different?
The assemblies are just a tad bit bigger than the bumper holes so they cover the holes completely. The downside? There is no holding bracket/structure that keeps them held down against the bumper. I'll have to modify the bumper a bit to make sure they hold in place, any ideas as to how to do that? I was just thinking of making homemade braces to hold them in place
Old 06-30-2006 | 01:23 PM
Pro

joe why havent you at least put the wheels on, and if your taking off the wheels springs too. thats maybe a 3-4 hour job total, and thats taking your time.
Old 07-01-2006 | 06:13 AM
Banned

joe why havent you at least put the wheels on, and if your taking off the wheels springs too. thats maybe a 3-4 hour job total, and thats taking your time.
I am putting them on today... I'm going to post pics in a few... the mechanics have done so much body damage to the car and aren't taking full responsibility for it; they're denying that anything's happened to the car.. you'll see soon. So @#$!ing pissed about that... the rear fender took a bad hit and I'll have to bend it in order to make sure the oem tires already on the car don't get severed by the damage.. Like i said, you'll see.

Mark.. you'll be surprised when you see the car in person today...
Old 07-01-2006 | 07:15 AM
Banned

What The Fuck!?!?

Alright guys... this is fucking ridiculous... here's the pictures I was talking about.. you'll have fun with these... once again, the mechanic completely denies and doesn't want to take responsibility for the damage you are about to see. It's pretty obvious that this car was taken for a joyride.

Lowering the car's an issue now... tire rub/shreding is a HUGE threat

That's the mark of a struck pole.. it's that obvious

Fender wasn't replaced back properly

This bumper was REPAINTED a few months back.. what the fuck is up with the scratches?!?!?!?!

What happened to the screws for this flap?!?!

... A cable tie?! ... any replacement screws?.. NO!

The light switch to my underseat neons?... MISSING!

Not only the switch was missing, but the interior was reassembled improperly AND there were grease marks all over inside and outside of the car

Here's the best picture yet... WHERE ARE THE SCREWS FOR MY ENGINE COVER?????

Valve stem cover?.... now all I have to say is ...WHAT THE F*** once more.

Going to inform them nicely.. that if the damages are NOT paid for... things will come in my own terms.. legally. Comments anyone before I start the mods today?

I HATE MECHANICS. ... Going to go Autozone to get my codes read even though the engine light's not on... at least that's free.

By the way... the tranny shifts hard and the car nudges each time I go from drive to reverse and vice versa.. I just hate it!
Old 07-01-2006 | 08:01 AM
Back in a Type S

Dude that is awful. I didn't realize it was that bad. I would wait on the mods. Get that resolved before doing anything else. They might try to use that against you if you modify the car in any way. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but I think you should get that squared away before you do anything else to the car.

Plus I would hate to see those nice rims get ruined.
Old 07-01-2006 | 09:29 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

damn homie....

If i were you I would seriously put that garage on BLAST! I would make sure that everyone you knew of that needed work did not take their car to that garage. That makes no sense for your car to be returned to you in that fashion. I would have made sure that they "Felt My Pain".....
Old 07-01-2006 | 12:48 PM
W00t

WOW, I have never seen that much damage done by mechanics.. They broke more than they fixed!

I hope they fix everything up man.. keep us updated. From now on im taking before pics inside shops before I hand the keys over.
Old 07-01-2006 | 12:52 PM
Banned

This is definitely a huge dilemma indeed, I could mod the car, but if I do, I could void my claim since they'd pull some shit like that saying that I'm responsible for teh damage.. the even more horrible part is that I called a few attorneys I know that are up in boston (old friends with.. fixed their pc's), they all informed me of the same... the cost it takes to get a claim out of the shop (the rate the lawyer charges, court fees, etc.) as opposed to just fixing the damage myself is far greater.. IT SUCKS. I could report them to the Better Business Buerau, but the last time a previous mechanic screwed me over (this was when I had the avalon), the Buerau wasn't any help to me at all. Any comments?.. anyone, please??

I've been stressed and sick to my stomach about this for the past day now. :-( Mind you, the tranny still jerks a bit at slow speeds when I need to press on the gas pedal.
Old 07-01-2006 | 12:56 PM
Banned

Another thing.. had to bend in the fender with a wrench to avoid tire damage on really large speed bumps.. I'm going to ask my next door neighbor of my possible options, he's a honda technician so I have some hope of some sort.
Old 07-01-2006 | 01:23 PM
Banned

And yet, another update:

Wrote a letter & e-mail (including vivid pictures) to the Deputy Commissioner and Treasurer of the New York State Division of Treasury. I was told by Pure Adrenaline that they oversee mechanic licensing. Hopefully this helps and I get some kind of feedback
Old 07-01-2006 | 01:28 PM
W00t

Im just wondering, you said you talked to the mechanic and he said he wasn't responsible, was he the owner of the shop? If not, you should go up there and have a word with the owner/manager.

Quick Reply: On Going Mods...