Problem with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005 | 05:03 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Problem with brakes

Recently my front brakes have been squeeking like crazy..
I have ROTORA Drilled/Slotted Rotors with EBC green stuff pads

I guess its because i do a lot of hard braking.
I went to a local shop and they said my brakes were fine.
When i brake my steering wheel vibrates so my guess is that my rotors are warped (only had them on for 10k)

Can you resurface these rotors?
and
Will buying new pads help solve this problem?
Old 08-04-2005 | 06:37 PM
:brakejob:

sounds like the pads are glazed over... thats where the squeeking might be coming from... did you put disc brake quiet (anti-squeek) on there when you installed the pads?

afaik you can't resurface those rotors... but the vibration may be coming from the pads being glazed, do the rotors feel smooth when you run your finger along them (no ridges, etc...)
Old 08-04-2005 | 06:49 PM
Comptech Freak

the steering wheel vibrates means the tires are not balanced well, and if the brake pedal vibrates then it's warped
Old 08-04-2005 | 07:15 PM
:brakejob:

Originally Posted by samkws
the steering wheel vibrates means the tires are not balanced well, and if the brake pedal vibrates then it's warped
steering wheel vibration when braking comes from warped rotors...
Old 08-04-2005 | 07:36 PM
Racer

If the wheels are not balanced, the steering wheel will vibrate (specially at high speed) even w/o braking.
Old 08-05-2005 | 03:13 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by progz
If the wheels are not balanced, the steering wheel will vibrate (specially at high speed) even w/o braking.
If it only happens under brake input, then it's the rotors and/or pads.

I brake the living piss out of my Rotora brakes and I haven't had a problem. So it's probably glazed pads like brakejobhelp mentioned.

I mean, slots are there to prevent glazing, but it could still happen.

Now, did you put the factory shims on the pads? If not, as the pads wear down and become thinner, it could get loose in their slots and move around, causing a squealing sound.
Old 08-05-2005 | 03:14 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by brakejobhelp
sounds like the pads are glazed over... thats where the squeeking might be coming from... did you put disc brake quiet (anti-squeek) on there when you installed the pads?

afaik you can't resurface those rotors... but the vibration may be coming from the pads being glazed, do the rotors feel smooth when you run your finger along them (no ridges, etc...)

we did.. what does it mean when pads are glazed over?
Old 08-05-2005 | 03:16 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by progz

but..
its not the wheels.. teh problem i have with my wheels is that i get vibration during 40-60mph ONLY and it goes away.

i'd have my tires balanced 3 times.. and had my alignment done 2 times.. still cant get rid of the problem..
Old 08-05-2005 | 04:05 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by pimpravi
but..
its not the wheels.. teh problem i have with my wheels is that i get vibration during 40-60mph ONLY and it goes away.

i'd have my tires balanced 3 times.. and had my alignment done 2 times.. still cant get rid of the problem..
axles; have them checked out.
Old 08-05-2005 | 10:48 AM
Instructor

how cheap were your rims?????sometimes cheap rims wont balance for shit.
Old 08-05-2005 | 03:23 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
axles; have them checked out.

i was thinking either that or cv joints..

i think its from going on the twisties to much
Old 08-05-2005 | 03:23 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by HotBoyinDaAcura
how cheap were your rims?????sometimes cheap rims wont balance for shit.

im riding on cl type-s rims..
Old 08-05-2005 | 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

if it only happens when you brake its your brakes. if thats the case go out and try to bed them in and see if that helps
Old 08-05-2005 | 06:20 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
if it only happens when you brake its your brakes. if thats the case go out and try to bed them in and see if that helps

bed them in with new brake pads?

*fsttyms1 - yeah it vibrates when i brake. but the other problem im having with that a tire shop couldnt diagonse is that vibration between 40-60mph. its not too much but its noticeable.. they balanced the tires 3x, checked tire pressure, aligment ect. but they said to take it into dealership cuz it could be something with drivetrain.. axels/cv joints.. you think its bad to keep driving my car with that slight viberation?
Old 08-05-2005 | 06:42 PM
Dragging knees in

bed them in with new brake pads?

*fsttyms1 - yeah it vibrates when i brake. but the other problem im having with that a tire shop couldnt diagonse is that vibration between 40-60mph. its not too much but its noticeable.. they balanced the tires 3x, checked tire pressure, aligment ect. but they said to take it into dealership cuz it could be something with drivetrain.. axels/cv joints.. you think its bad to keep driving my car with that slight viberation?
Yeah, it's bad to drive like that. I'm guessing it's your axles or something related to it.

My friend blew an axle at the track, I drove it home with severe vibrations between 45 and 70. Above 70, it would disappear but start again if I were going between 45 and 70. The idiot didn't listen to me and put off taking it to the shop and two days later, he called me for help because the axle had finally completely blown out of the transmission casing, immobilizing the car.

Get it looked at asap. Or if you want to do a quick visual check on your own, then look behind the brake rotors and you will see a metal shaft extending from the center of the car, like from the bottom of the engine. There's a rubber boot on there and make sure the boots are still in one piece. If the rubber boots are blown, then the axle has no lubrication, would heat up and destroy itself.
Old 08-06-2005 | 01:09 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Yeah, it's bad to drive like that. I'm guessing it's your axles or something related to it.

My friend blew an axle at the track, I drove it home with severe vibrations between 45 and 70. Above 70, it would disappear but start again if I were going between 45 and 70. The idiot didn't listen to me and put off taking it to the shop and two days later, he called me for help because the axle had finally completely blown out of the transmission casing, immobilizing the car.

Get it looked at asap. Or if you want to do a quick visual check on your own, then look behind the brake rotors and you will see a metal shaft extending from the center of the car, like from the bottom of the engine. There's a rubber boot on there and make sure the boots are still in one piece. If the rubber boots are blown, then the axle has no lubrication, would heat up and destroy itself.

Old 08-07-2005 | 12:53 AM
Instructor

man i guess none of you guys ever drove an 89 acura legend, that was like the story of my life, i had cv joints blowin like every week might have had a broken motor mount but regardless it was a bitch
Old 08-07-2005 | 02:23 AM
trill recognize trill

Old 08-07-2005 | 02:24 AM
trill recognize trill

any pix of that rubber boot and reasons for it to blow?