XM radio Audiovox Xpress DIY install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM radio Audiovox Xpress DIY install?

Hey all, I have an Audiovox Xpress that I want to install. Does anyone have a good DIY thread or link for a clean dash mounted install? My intent is to hardwire the box to the CD changer port in back of the dash unit and take the power plug into the storage area under the arm rest, but I want to hide all the wires and mount the box cleanly.

Thanks for any help, Giff
Old 02-24-2007, 07:27 PM
3.2TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill take pics, I have the same radio. The cig adaptor doesnt reach under the arm rest thing, so What I did was take apart the wood trip that runs along the console on drivers side, and put the wire through there so theres no cables in front of the radio etc, so all you see is it plugged up but no wires going anywhere. I have it mounted under the 2 Trip buttons thats says reset etc. As for the antenna, Its on above the back window and ran the wire along the little crevase(sp) of the window, down into the trunk, then from there, I put the wire under that center backseat thing that goes opens and closes to give you access to the trunk from inside the car. It goes under the back seat along the door sills, inside the fuse box on the drivers side, over the Steering wheel and to the radio.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThreePointTwoTeeEl
Ill take pics, I have the same radio. The cig adaptor doesnt reach under the arm rest thing, so What I did was take apart the wood trip that runs along the console on drivers side, and put the wire through there so theres no cables in front of the radio etc, so all you see is it plugged up but no wires going anywhere. I have it mounted under the 2 Trip buttons thats says reset etc. As for the antenna, Its on above the back window and ran the wire along the little crevase(sp) of the window, down into the trunk, then from there, I put the wire under that center backseat thing that goes opens and closes to give you access to the trunk from inside the car. It goes under the back seat along the door sills, inside the fuse box on the drivers side, over the Steering wheel and to the radio.

Would love to see your pics, thanks!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

For a different perspective...

I have the same unit and mounted mine to the right of the stereo. My power is run under the woodgrain trim on the passenger side up to the armrest power supply and the antenna runs along the passenger side door trim. The "SureConnect" system they now have includes a stick on antenna adapter for the rear window, upper right corner, and I have the magnet mounted on the trunk lid, with the wiring tucked under the trim and along the hinge for the trunk. I'll post pics for you tonight so you can take a look.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
3.2TL

Ok Here it is, This is where I mounted it...

And here you see no cables....

Heres a close up shot of how I put the antenna wire cause I need access to that port cause I use the Blitzafe adapter to play my music through the car....

And for the Cig Adapter this is all You see the cables go under the console right by the place where the OBDII thing is...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
3.2TL

I forgot to add, this is the only cable visible, and for the antenna wire, I wedged it right inbetween where that cable is, then it goes over the steering column and then yea to the top of the car....
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfltl00
I have the same unit and mounted mine to the right of the stereo. My power is run under the woodgrain trim on the passenger side up to the armrest power supply and the antenna runs along the passenger side door trim. The "SureConnect" system they now have includes a stick on antenna adapter for the rear window, upper right corner, and I have the magnet mounted on the trunk lid, with the wiring tucked under the trim and along the hinge for the trunk. I'll post pics for you tonight so you can take a look.
Cool, thanks!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThreePointTwoTeeEl
Ok Here it is, This is where I mounted it...

And here you see no cables....

I dont understand where you ran the power cord through the dash? After you took the antenna over the steering column how did you get it to the roof?

Thanks for the help, giff
Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Cruisin'

Okay, here are my pics...

Interior shot

Ignore the coiled power cable, that is for the radar detector. Otherwise, two wires are visible only to the point they disappear behind the trim.

Closeup

I mounted it with a modified Bracketron bracket, filed down and shaped for the radio mounting screw behind the trim.

Power is run under the trim into the center console

Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Cruisin'

Oh Yeah

Since I mounted it behind the trim I can remove it without any damage visible if I get tired of it. No screw holes or anything else!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 PM
3.2TL

lol dont laugh at me but Im trying to help out a fellow XM Xpress'er TL'er haha.

Ok The Red lines are the sexy contours. The Lighter blue is the the wood trim panels, you only need to take off the one on the drivers side. The dark blue is the wire for the antenna, just follow it like that then when you reach the back seat, put it under the back seat and theres a very small space to put that cable through the trunk right in the middle of the back seat under that armrest that comes down. If you see that crazyness of blue wires in the fuse box, thats just where I put the extra wire that was left over. The Grey line is the power cable, if you see where it goes through the wood trim (light blue) then has a 90 degree turn infront of the radio, thats really all underneath console then it comes out of the OBDII access place thing then yes Connects to the DC supply.