what is this symptom suppose to be

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is this symptom suppose to be

Well, I am having trouble starting my car in the morning after a cold night. Sometimes I leave the car outside and when I do, I have problems starting my car up in the morning. It will choke but it wont crank thru and after like 5-10 mintues of trying THEN it goes thru and when it does, its really weak. I have rought starts like that the first time starting the car. After that and after driving around for a little bit, it will start weak but I can get it on the first try. What is my symptom and what needs to be changed? THanks
Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLAMMED_WDP_TLS
Well, I am having trouble starting my car in the morning after a cold night. Sometimes I leave the car outside and when I do, I have problems starting my car up in the morning. It will choke but it wont crank thru and after like 5-10 mintues of trying THEN it goes thru and when it does, its really weak. I have rought starts like that the first time starting the car. After that and after driving around for a little bit, it will start weak but I can get it on the first try. What is my symptom and what needs to be changed? THanks
I can think of couple problems here:
1. Honda is notorious for being sensitive to summer-winter gas change. If you just started having this problem, try to fill your gas tank with fresh gas first.
2. If the problem is not gone, you might need to check your fuel system, specifically – fuel injectors. Modern fuel injecting systems use fuel rail to retain fuel pressure. Then injectors open and close repeatedly to spray fuel into intake manifold. It seems that one or two injectors do not hold pressure and leak. When you start the car and there is no pressure in the fuel rail, you have to pump it up first. Try to turn ignition key on and wait for 20-30 seconds prior to starting the car. During that time fuel pump will pup up gas compensating for leak overnight. If it will work, then your injectors are not good (one or few).
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 PM
2k TL

or maybe the battery? or the alternator
Old 11-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mlionel
I can think of couple problems here:
1. Honda is notorious for being sensitive to summer-winter gas change. If you just started having this problem, try to fill your gas tank with fresh gas first.
2. If the problem is not gone, you might need to check your fuel system, specifically – fuel injectors. Modern fuel injecting systems use fuel rail to retain fuel pressure. Then injectors open and close repeatedly to spray fuel into intake manifold. It seems that one or two injectors do not hold pressure and leak. When you start the car and there is no pressure in the fuel rail, you have to pump it up first. Try to turn ignition key on and wait for 20-30 seconds prior to starting the car. During that time fuel pump will pup up gas compensating for leak overnight. If it will work, then your injectors are not good (one or few).
Thanks. I thought it was the gas ta first too but I filled it already. This problem has been going on for ahout a week and half to 2 weeks. The second solution aI asked my friend and he say that could be the problem and he never thought of it. SO the question is how much to replace the fuel injectors, is it DIY or I have to take it to the shop. Lastly, when you say turn the ignition on is it first slick or second click, prior ro starting the car. THANKS!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
My money goes on the battery.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nyses
or maybe the battery? or the alternator
Not battery. I jsut bought a battery about 3 months ago and they are the optima red top and all my things work like all the eletrical stuff. We came up with altanator which is a possiblity or a bad starter. I dunno its pissing me off man. What other problems can there be?

Altanator
starter
fuel injector
Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Thanks. I thought it was the gas ta first too but I filled it already. This problem has been going on for ahout a week and half to 2 weeks. The second solution aI asked my friend and he say that could be the problem and he never thought of it. SO the question is how much to replace the fuel injectors, is it DIY or I have to take it to the shop. Lastly, when you say turn the ignition on is it first slick or second click, prior ro starting the car. THANKS!
When I said to turn ignition “on”, I meant to second click (but not to start the car, on third click). In other words, do not turn to third click. I believe that first click is “accessories”, second is “on”, and the third is “starter”. You will see all light on in second click.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:50 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe something simple like loose battery terminal(s). if you bought your battery 3 months ago there's is a decent chance the terminals have loosened up a bit. I had a similiar problem with my wifes car and it turned out to be the last thing I checked, the battery terminals. BTW does your car try to turnover and just making clicking sounds or do you feel like starter is engaging and try to start the car but for some reason it isn't turning over fully?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sbuswell
maybe something simple like loose battery terminal(s). if you bought your battery 3 months ago there's is a decent chance the terminals have loosened up a bit. I had a similiar problem with my wifes car and it turned out to be the last thing I checked, the battery terminals. BTW does your car try to turnover and just making clicking sounds or do you feel like starter is engaging and try to start the car but for some reason it isn't turning over fully?
He said that "it wont crank thru". I take it as it cranks, but does not start. If it cranks, then it cannot be battery and all related to it (terminals, connections, etc.). If it does not crank at all, then it's either battery and the works, or starter (includes bad relay). If it clicks only, then it could be a solenoid to engage starter gear with fly wheel.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Put a volt meter on your car and have someone start it.

Get measurements:

1 - Cold, ignition off
2 - While cranking
3 - When started

I agree, it's most likely the battery.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Cruisin'

plugs

what about fouled sparkplugs?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Racer

Last night I tried to start my car. I put it in second click for about 30 seconds and it did not work. I tried about 10 times after thatm all giving about 30 seconds in second click and it did the same. It will choke and it sound like its almost starting but it wouldnt go thru. Then I let the car rest for about 1-2 minute and just cranked it and it went thru. I let the car warm up and went for a drive. Everything was smooth.

Then today, I didnt drive me car all day. I tried to start the carthe first time, jsut tryng to crank it thru the first time but it didnt start. Then I left the key on second crank for bout 30 seconds and then it crank thru.

After all that, does it start to look more like its the feul injectors? If so How much to change them and is it DIY. Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Last night I tried to start my car. I put it in second click for about 30 seconds and it did not work. I tried about 10 times after thatm all giving about 30 seconds in second click and it did the same. It will choke and it sound like its almost starting but it wouldnt go thru. Then I let the car rest for about 1-2 minute and just cranked it and it went thru. I let the car warm up and went for a drive. Everything was smooth.

Then today, I didnt drive me car all day. I tried to start the carthe first time, jsut tryng to crank it thru the first time but it didnt start. Then I left the key on second crank for bout 30 seconds and then it crank thru.

After all that, does it start to look more like its the feul injectors? If so How much to change them and is it DIY. Thanks
So it won't start on the first try, but if you leave the key in the ON position for a bit, it will start?

Okay, next time, don't try to start it right away. Turn it to"ON", the position before the one you would turn the key to when you're starting the car. Just leave it there for a few seconds, then try to start it. If it starts up on the first try, then there might be something wrong with the fuel system. Leaving the key in the "ON" position primes the fuel pump. Just a hunch.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Advanced

just changed my battery today. luckily i was home when i found out my old battery was shot.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:17 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The green key in the instrument panel isn't flashing while this is going on is it?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The green key in the instrument panel isn't flashing while this is going on is it?
The light is NOT flashing. ALl the instument light comes on and your hear 4 beeps. I tried again today. it took me 15 mintues to get my car started. I just kept on trying 30 seconds in the ignition (2nd click) and then turn crank the key. I am having my guy change out the fuel injector and spark plugs next. Hope that does it. I guess my car like to run in the cold but doesnt like to START on the cold.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have your spark plugs replaced first then move on to the fuel injectors, but dont replace them. Just have them cleaned.

Do you have problems starting the car when it is hot or only when it is cold?

It's not the alternator. If it was your battery would never charge and you would not be able to start it at all.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 AM
6th Gear

I am having this same problem. No one ever comes back and says how they fixed it. Please Help. Now my car won's start at all. I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake pipe and it started right up, but now it still does the same thing. It will crank over forever and not start. I replaced the fuel regulator, and nothing. I think it's a fuel pump, but I don't know. HELP PLEASE.