Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is illegal in Cali?

No front plate is illegal...

Tint on front windows is illegal...

What about clear corners or tails?

UCLAtl

------------------
2000 Non-nav Silver TL
metallic tint all around, JL 12"W3 sub + PPI 2300 amp, factory underbody, Inspire clear tails, Comptech exhaust, Viper 500 ESP alarm (in that order)
coming soon: Mugen grill and WW wing
Old 12-31-2000, 06:33 PM
Drifting

Lots...

Clear rear blinkers (signals)
Clear tail lights
Lower too much
Colored bulbs other than clear/amber/red
Modified exhaust
No cat (straight pipe)
Tint on passenger/driver side windows
Racing on public roads
Attitude toward a peace officer

Too many to list.
(Refer to CA Vehicle Code)
Old 12-31-2000, 07:04 PM
Pro

does anyone have a detailed technical description of the function of the cat? I would like to read one.
Old 12-31-2000, 09:21 PM

Its not even worth modding your car out here, if you get an exhaust i would get a mugen , nice and quiet until you step on it, my friend has a Greddy on his Prelude and we got pulled over for "modifyied exhaust which was too loud." What kind of bs is that he had the certificate stating that it was within the dB level legal in Ca and he still got a ticket!! Cops are real d!ckheads out here.
Old 12-31-2000, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

I think drugs is also illegal there too, like it is here in NJ on the east coast.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!

Stereo System Coming!
Old 01-01-2001, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Well, I guess I should be more wary then. I've had Inspire tails since summer with the stock clear bulbs, and I haven't gotten pulled over yet (knock on wood). But I guess I shouldn't start flashing them until I know a cop's not behind me. But as far as the plain clear tail lenses, I don't think cops mind those. Cops have been right behind me and not done anything. Maybe they think that's the stock look, like a Civic si or BMW M3. By the way, if clear tail lenses were illegal, then wouldn't those cars be illegal?

What about clear corners inthe front? Legal or illegal? And if illegal, are cops wary of them?

UCLAtl

Old 01-01-2001, 04:40 AM
Instructor

they need an orange bulb in the blinkers. (if they blink) like the bimmers, but i have seen them with white blinkers???

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by 3point2TL on January 01, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by UCLAtl:
But as far as the plain clear tail lenses, I don't think cops mind those. Cops have been right behind me and not done anything. Maybe they think that's the stock look, like a Civic si or BMW M3. By the way, if clear tail lenses were illegal, then wouldn't those cars be illegal?

UCLAtl
Clear tails as in those that are totally clear w/o any red or amber reflectors. You know.. the "albino look". The Inspire Tail lights are clear on top, red on the bottom. Thus Inspire Tails are legal as you have the red reflector on the lenz. However, blinkers must be amber/red in color. So, just change the bulbs.

Originally posted by 97*tL*:
my friend has a Greddy on his Prelude and we got pulled over for "modifyied exhaust which was too loud."
Yeah I know what you mean... When I still owned a G5 Prelude w/ Greddy PE, I got pulled over so many times cuz the exhaust note was not pleasing to the cops ears.
Old 01-02-2001, 05:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I just came back from the sherrif's inspection station (A**holes working there). i had to get my front plate warning cleared. the cops were all around my car laughing and one threatened to give me a ticket for the car being too low. he said 6 inches was the limit. can't be. does anyone have a real theory on why front tint is illegal. seems like they just want to see u. F*cking cops. sorry.

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs in side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 01-02-2001, 05:39 AM
Burning Brakes

uclatl, i rigged up a way for the inspire tail to stay completely clear, but blink perfect orange. I'll just tell u that I used a bag from the student's store.

I think it's nasty to have a nice m5, but the clear blinker is still spoiled by the orange bulb.

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs in side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 01-02-2001, 12:38 PM
Racer

damn you guys have it rough, not at all like us laid back Canadians. haven't been pulled over for the 'illegal' tint on my front windows, or the twenty ounces of coke in the backseat .
Old 01-02-2001, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's what I believe...
Clear Tail-lights are legal in California, but you need to have either yellow, orange or amber color bulbs! Also, you need to have some kind of reflector for each corner. This goes for the front too! This is a "parked" safety feature. So, I believe that clearing the front corners would be illegal in California, because you are taking out the only reflectors for the front. Plus, you are altering the safety feature of the original car! I've got pulled over for this reason before. Had LED's in my headlights and the cop gave me a "fix it" ticket for "altering safety feature on vehicle".

Front tinted windows are illegal because of safety reasons. 1. Can't see clearly in dusk or dawn when looking at sides trying to pull out of driveway or road. 2. Cops can't see in (through your side view mirror) when they pull you over.

If the cop is an A-hole, he'll find something to site you!

My 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Hmmm.... I was thinking the same thing as socal. I figure our Inspire taillights are legal as long as we have a red, orange, or amber bulb. And clear front corners are illegal no matter what. Well, I just bought Polarg M-12s today, so I think I'll settle with those and screw my plan to clear the corners.

Bobatime, you lost me on that student store thing.

I heard a while ago that the reason that front driver and passenger tint is illegal is because during accidents, the tint prevents the window from breaking apart, so the passengers can't get out, if the doors are stuck. Who knows if this is really true!

UCLAtl
Old 01-02-2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Rice1304:
does anyone have a detailed technical description of the function of the cat? I would like to read one.
start here?
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.
Comptech axle-back exhaust.
225/55ZR-16 RE730s on OEM alloys.
205/55QR-16 Alpins on steel wheels w/covers (winter).

Pictures
Old 01-02-2001, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by bobatimez:
I just came back from the sherrif's inspection station (A**holes working there). i had to get my front plate warning cleared. the cops were all around my car laughing and one threatened to give me a ticket for the car being too low. he said 6 inches was the limit. can't be. does anyone have a real theory on why front tint is illegal. seems like they just want to see u. F*cking cops. sorry.
Sorry to hear you had to go thru the hassle.

Front tint is illegal in CA because it is "obstructinng your view". I think it's more like the tint is obstructing their (cops) view. If they can't see thru, they get scared what you might have in your car.

BTW, 6" from what?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SLVR TL on January 02, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 01-03-2001, 03:46 AM
8th Gear

Talking

New law just passed on last year's November, which stated driver & passenger windows tinting are legal IF light blocking rate is 30% or less.

So, I have my TL tinted with 25% on all 5 windows, which look fine on the day and dark enough at night.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

I remember getting pulled over cause i changed the license plate light from white to red. the cops said that many gangs use those lights to identify themselves. Stupid cops, do they actually think that a UC Berkeley college student would be in a gang? Anyways got a fix it ticket for that. I was also pulled over about six years ago having ion lights, yeah i know they look lame now but it was something new and cool back then. As for the lowering your car part, i heard that the bottom of your car is suppose to be a certain distance above the lowest part of your rim. But i may be wrong on that.
I think a lot of these pull overs depend on the area you live in. If modified cars are everywhere (ie. LA area) then i think the cops wouldn't care as much, but as for suburban areas things might be different. Just my two cents and what i've gone through.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok it wasn't six years ago, it was more like four years, see what college does to you...=P
Old 01-03-2001, 06:44 AM
Racer

While on the topic of legal bulbs, for those of you that have Inspire tails, which replacement bulbs did you use and where did you get them? (I tried the search feature and was unsuccessful)
Old 01-03-2001, 11:06 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by bmw74:
While on the topic of legal bulbs, for those of you that have Inspire tails, which replacement bulbs did you use and where did you get them? (I tried the search feature and was unsuccessful)
I think someone said to get
Polarg M-23 P8711R signal bulbs for the Inspire Tails. I'm not sure who it was though...
Old 01-03-2001, 11:08 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by wowotoe:
New law just passed on last year's November, which stated driver & passenger windows tinting are legal IF light blocking rate is 30% or less.
Is there any written article/ document that backs this up? I would like to have it in case I get pulled over. Thanks tons!
Old 01-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

What about the codes in VA???