Transmission #2 Gone.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by PeterUbers
Vandy ..

I've been shooting the sh*t w/ this guy on acura-cl.com .. and he claims he's a tech at some acura dealership .. i tend to wanna believe him. he's been dishing out the dirt on the tranny issue, and it's as follows: 1) the tranny issue is NOT fixed .. in ANY of the replacements. 2) they'll continue to swap out tranny's until a fix is determined at a later date, 3) the new TL's tranny hasn't had more than 2 known failures in the nation since it's debut for official sale.

I'm in the process of drafting a letter to Honda/Acura .. i know it's futile, but i'm very curious to see what xerox of a xerox of a pre-formatted condolence letter they send me .. In in a sick/twisted way I sort of want to take that letter, staple it to ALL my service invoice records and mail it back to them w/ the original sales receipt from my car next to Honda's quality statement.
Thanks for the this info Peter. I believe Honda has not resolved these issues. Now, if we could just get these 5 yr olds to stop arguing on here, we might actually be able to track and try to understand what's going on.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:45 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the this info Peter. I believe Honda has not resolved these issues. Now, if we could just get these 5 yr olds to stop arguing on here, we might actually be able to track and try to understand what's going on.
Who are you talking to, Peter: Jens???

And I was worried gary was gonna start chastizing 30yr olds (I'm safe)!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys...

I've been talking w/ another guy on a-cl.com ... not Jens. Jens recognizes that Acura hasn't fixed the problem yet, however, he's still selective about discussing the tranny issues b/c his job could very well be on the line if he divulges too much.

I'm in the process of speaking w/ my attorney as well .. let's be honest, we can b.s. our lives away on this forum, but it's not gunna get anything done other than informing other unsuspecting Acura owners. It's time for each of us to take things into our own hands and individually file claims.

Gary .. I agree w/ you ... based on my current base of knowledge of the whole problem, the issue is far from resolved, and I'm wondering when Acura will issue the SECOND batch of letters to the new '03 TL-S and CL-S owners than their tranny's are now protected under the 7yr/100K mile warranty. Or, the only other way I can see Acura having worked around this problem is to have developed a fix for the tranny that'll get the new tranny's to last at LEAST 50,000 miles (the OEM warranty) before it poops out ... thus covering their arses... that's my current suspicion.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't care what you think or say Apple .. I am going to be the adult here and I am not arguing with you .

Garylee ,your right ,there is no sense arguing like 5 yr old's . Who care's who can spell better . I can spell important word's that involve my work ,pathologie's like Pseudoaneurysm and such ,not readily spelled by other's... But WHO cares? Well Apple doe's ,but ..............

Okay ,I almost got sucked in again .. I am through Apple .do you hear me ..NO MORE .

Anyway I am getting my car friday ...... I almost forgot ... It was the STORE manager that told me about the 04 tl engine and tranny ..yes maybe I am too trusting at time's ,although I would have thought with the circumstances around my getting the 04 they would be straight with me .. I don't knw ,but what they said and if it's a lie,well guess I was sucked into that one too.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Girl,
I bet they were being "straight" with you. It's just that some of those people who work there don't know jack about what they are selling. Without knowing it, he lied. Lol. I like the look of the 2004 though. Are you going auto or 6mt? Either way, congrats!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Racer

I'm getting the auto WDP ,parchment int. I'm glad I am now because at first I was reading here that a 6 spd would solve the tranny issue,but now I see the 6 spd' 04 tl are the ONLY ones having tranny problems.

Perhaps your right about them not knowing instead of just lying about the tranny and engine being from the NSX ,could be the case ,the sales guy was surprised at how much I knew about the 04 tl ,but then again he may have just been acting surprised too ,since they are there to SELL ,not run people off~~!

I'm sure you'll tell everyone if you go with an 04 .. I'll let you know how mine drives... I have driven it once and it does have a vibration everyone is speaking of and people here are saying it's the tire's.. I don't know ,but I really have no choice it's either get the 04 or keep paying for my 03 that I will NOT drive ...

Hope it all work's out though....

You know I really liked the anthracite color and thought the ebony interior would be really sharp ,but thought those color's were more of a guy thing .... it looked ( MAFIA .. spell check).

Anyway thanks again.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, you people are brave. I see people here going for 3rd and 4th trannies...someone in another thread wants a voucher to buy ANOTHER Acura because his tranny failure put him in a ditch after avoiding an accident...I was not that patient. When my second tranny went, the dealer bought mine back at the going retail rate at the time. Honda America handled the whole thing very badly. I can't imagine owning another Honda product...they are just way over rated and not any more a value leader than Hyundai or Kia, IMHO.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by That Girl
I'm getting the auto WDP ,parchment int. I'm glad I am now because at first I was reading here that a 6 spd would solve the tranny issue,but now I see the 6 spd' 04 tl are the ONLY ones having tranny problems.

Perhaps your right about them not knowing instead of just lying about the tranny and engine being from the NSX ,could be the case ,the sales guy was surprised at how much I knew about the 04 tl ,but then again he may have just been acting surprised too ,since they are there to SELL ,not run people off~~!

I'm sure you'll tell everyone if you go with an 04 .. I'll let you know how mine drives... I have driven it once and it does have a vibration everyone is speaking of and people here are saying it's the tire's.. I don't know ,but I really have no choice it's either get the 04 or keep paying for my 03 that I will NOT drive ...

Hope it all work's out though....

You know I really liked the anthracite color and thought the ebony interior would be really sharp ,but thought those color's were more of a guy thing .... it looked ( MAFIA .. spell check).

Anyway thanks again.
I didn't know the 6mts were having problems. I was thinking about one too. Guess I'll wait til the early build issues are taken care of.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:46 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't imagine owning another Honda product...they are just way over rated and not any more a value leader than Hyundai or Kia, IMHO.
Wow, you'd probably be the only person in America to say that...

Who care's who can spell better . I can spell important word's that involve my work ,pathologie's like Pseudoaneurysm and such ,not readily spelled by other's...
That was actually quite clever! I told you you weren't retarded!

Or, the only other way I can see Acura having worked around this problem is to have developed a fix for the tranny that'll get the new tranny's to last at LEAST 50,000 miles (the OEM warranty) before it poops out ...
I picked up my car after being serviced yesterday and they replaced the tranny fluid. I asked them to tell me how it was and they said all was fine. I have 14k miles on the new tranny, and indeed have the new PCM. I posted before about the car shifting entirely smoother than ever before and that still happens. Welp, after picking the car up, the car is madly spinning tires in second gear. Granted, my CAI filter was pretty dirty and got cleaned but the car just feels stronger. In a way, that kinda worries me. I suppose my question would be, if the tranny fluid is consumed with debris, would that deter performance? The shifts this morning do not feel any more harsh or anything than before the service, but the car just seems to have a lot more pep...
Then again, maybe I "feeling" things...

I did a$$rape a brand new, bright red RX8 on the highway ride home last night so I suppose I can just drive it 'til this tranny falls out, too!

Seriously though, the issue about a warranty, to me anyway, is now moot once the tranny is replaced. I see it as each tranny now having 100k warranty for failure and not the car itself. There is something to be said for that based on failing and customer service issues...Again, in the long run, I still see this as isolated and not brand wide. It happens to people who drive hard, soft, s/s or not and some people don't ever even have a hiccup. A couple of a-cl.com guys have over 75k miles, mods and abuse their cars pretty much all the time and have no issues...Go figure...
Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by garylee55
Man, you people are brave. I see people here going for 3rd and 4th trannies...someone in another thread wants a voucher to buy ANOTHER Acura because his tranny failure put him in a ditch after avoiding an accident...I was not that patient. When my second tranny went, the dealer bought mine back at the going retail rate at the time. Honda America handled the whole thing very badly. I can't imagine owning another Honda product...they are just way over rated and not any more a value leader than Hyundai or Kia, IMHO.
Gary, I remember back when you used to post here. I'm still on my first tranny though and I think the people that come back to Honda / Acura realize that there are many other people who have had no transmission problems. Also, if you take a look at the competition (Maxima, G35, 330i, etc), nobody can match the interior or the price and value of the TL. I recently test drove a 6mt G35 sedan and an auto G35 coupe. Excellent cars but the interior rivals those of pickup trucks. The BMW 330i was nice too but it came at a price. The TL remains the best combo.

Whatever the case, in the end, no company has 100% satisfied customers. Your argument is correct: if a company didn't live up to expectations, why should you give them more of your money? But it's a two way street and for many of us, Acura has made a car that has lived up to and surpassed expectations so why not get another one?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Instructor

I'm the one looking for a voucher towards a new Acura/Honda. For me, it isn't brand loyalty, it is the reality that unless I sue (and my attorney may very well decide that) I will have to compromise with the company. This is a good compromise for both parties because I am retained as a customer and will just move to a 6spd TSX or TL and be happy.

I love the engine, love the seats, and love the features of my TL-S for the price. Other manufacturers can do better than Acura/Honda in certain categories, but the package deal is what I'm after, and that means Acura/Honda.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:04 PM

This is too funny.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Racer

Vandy ,

Yes the 6spd manual tranny has been a problem,this one guy was not allowed to take it off the lot the day he bought it because of the tranny problem ,it wasn't going into first and second at all ..brand new with very little miles.

So yes I was thinking of the 6spd at first because here on the 2nd gen forum I saw someone post that tranny's are never an issue with these... so after I saw that ,yes I am glad I chose the auto.

In reference to sticking with this product .. First of all I CHOSE the Acura after owning many Honda's and this was an upgrade for me .. I loved everything about the car ,but the tranny and if it had not been for the CHANGE in the 04 I have to say I would have had to switch to something else.. Now I have been hearing of 6spd issue's ,quite a few ,but the Auto seems to be fine ,so maybe I'll get lucky this time and like many have stated ,the package and price for the 04 tl can't be beat .

I am convinced that even if the 04 doesn't have the NSX tranny and engine ,they have changed it ... I know they wouldn't keep the same one in this NEW model ,so I am trusting and going to enjoy the car. "Hope I'm not speaking too soon"

The only sad part is I won't get to drive it much . I used to drive my 03 to work ,but I got a Co. auto now and will only really get to drive it on monday's and weekends,but atleast that will save on mileage!

So ,now that Apple has told me I'm not retarded I feel "SO" much better ,I was starting to get a complex~!!