Transmission #2 Gone.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Transmission #2 Gone.

It just happened out of the blue... it was PERFECT up until tonight... it started slipping .. i noticed it took an extra second or two to go from park to drive... and then while cruising, bad slips into 2nd .. then 3rd...

I barely got it to the dealership tonight .. I was cruising at 50mph in 5th and it was slipping so bad that the rpms were at 3000. It was COMPLETELY cashed as i pulled up to the dealership (this all happened tonight at 11pm).

We'll see what they say tomorrow .. more to come.

I only had 15,000 miles on tranny#2...
Old 11-24-2003, 11:18 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL...Now driving it that way wasn't safe, PU!

Just curious--can't remember and too lazy to look at old threads: Did you have the new PCM on your 2nd tranny???
Old 11-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Peter, our TLS takes a second or so to go into drive from park....enough time that if you are on a hill and you go from park to drive, you'll roll backwards a few feet before the car engages drive if you aren't on the brakes. Also occasionally there is a metallic "slipping/chirp" sound when the car shifts to 3rd and I let off the gas after a WOT run simulataneously. The car has done this for months now. You think its the tranny letting us know that its not going to stand for this much longer? FYI, our late 03 has *all* the tranny updates, I'm really curious to see if they actually fixed the tranny issues or not.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Safety Car

A4 ..

your tranny is SLOWLY dying.. mine just died all at once last night ... Take it in and replicate the problem on a decline to the dealer so they can see what's up.

R10...

I figured this .. if it stalled on my on the highway .. i would have to shell out $150.00 to have it towed... so by risking my a$$, i saved some cash last night... plus I wanted them to look at it ASAP first thing.. but you're right.. it was a little risky.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter ....

You forgot to answer the Apple ~~

He asked ~~

J[quote]ust curious--can't remember and too lazy to look at old threads: Did you have the new PCM on your 2nd tranny???[quote/]

Is someone worried about a safety issue ...... ? NO...can't be !
Old 11-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

R10 -- no pcm, no other updates -- i did receive the letter a while back that indicated that I should have both those "mods" done by the dealership .. and I hadn't gotten around to doing so.

I had my second tranny installed well before Acura "really" figured out that the 2nd to 3rd gear clutch-packs were shotty... so my dealership told me...
Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
lover and fighter

Is someone worried about a safety issue ...... ? NO...can't be !
STFU, That Pyscho...You wouldn't recognize irony even if (or is that Fe) Shakespear was giving a writing lecture himself! :thefinger

PU, the new set-up with the PCM is working quite well for me. I now have almost 15k miles on the car and have abused the ever-loving shi+ out of it since the repair. Not even a hiccup at this point...
Old 11-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Racer

STFU ? What does that mean? Irony ? What does that mean?

Have a great day~
Old 11-25-2003, 03:32 PM
lover and fighter

STFU ? What does that mean? Irony ? What does that mean?
OMG. Okay, picture a chalkboa--nope, nevermind. Gotta figure it out yourself or someone meaner than me must tell you. Darwin would be patting himself on the back if he were reading this. You know that, right?

Life is a jungle, and lions, welp, lions always have a great day at the top of the food chain...

Wait, what is that? Smoke billowing from the sw horizon??? Don't overdo it...
Old 11-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Safety Car

r10...

now that I'm on my 3rd tranny .. i have absolutely NO inhibitions (not that i did after the 2nd tranny) about using sportshift at my leisure...

I'll give a full description plus new track times w/ the new transmission, i might be the FIRST person to run his/her TL-S down the track after the latest revision of the tranny. My second tranny couldn't be empirically measured against the first one since i added headers and intake after getting my 2nd tranny. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see the difference.

cheers
Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Racer

IRONIC ..isn't that what you meant ... But then that term would really have been in my favor ,considering the tranny and safety issue .. Moving along though

~~~ yes ... I know what STFU means .... But do you really think I care if you tell me that ?

HAAA ... Come on Apple ... Do you really get that upset to tell people that?

Br careful Peter ... that third tranny might be dangerous as well ....Seriously .. I would be very careful ~!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Girl,
Please disappear (i'm tired of reading your posts on this site, all of which, incidentally, have been about transmissions). THAT IS ALL.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Racer

Hi Vandy ~~

You must have missed one of my post's ,or you took my advice in that post and it worked ,for a LITTLE WHILE ANYWAY...

I told you the FIX for reading these tranny posts' and it's OBVIOUSLY better then the FIX they have for the tranny's ... JUST stop your finger from clicking the POSTS !

How HARD is that? Well I guess it worked for you ,for a little while though,kinda like the FIX for the tranny s' ~ They work for a bit then they don't AGAIN ..frustrating isn't it~

been a pleasure as usuall~
Old 11-26-2003, 09:11 AM
lover and fighter

IRONIC ..isn't that what you meant ... But then that term would really have been in my favor ,considering the tranny and safety issue ..
Moron, ironic is an adjective and irony is a noun. In my context, irony was correct. Your command of the English language is pathetic, and your reading comprehension skills are atrocious. As said before, the only thing in your favor is that doctors prescribe medication that can help you if you simply will allow yourself to get checked out. If not for yourself, get all rx'd up for the rest of us...

might be the FIRST person to run his/her TL-S down the track after the latest revision of the tranny.
I have the new tranny/pcm combo and a 14.503!!! I never tracked it prior to the tranny swap, though...I will say you will initially be very deceived as it shifts like butter!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:20 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i only had 10,000 on my second tranny, and 4000 on my 3rd, this one feels like it's going already.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

r10... that's very comforting to know that you're running an awesome ET w/ the new tranny .. I hope to do the same.. I will miss that hard shift into second gear at WOT that gave me that kickass chirp.. but I can deal w/ the faster ET better than the loss of the chirp!

I really love the TL-S .. despite all this b.s. In fact, i don't mind getting a new tranny every 15-20,000 miles so long as Acura doesn't give me any crap and so long as I don't get stranded... Do you guys think they would have paid for my Tow to the dealership?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally posted by PeterUbers
r10... that's very comforting to know that you're running an awesome ET w/ the new tranny .. I hope to do the same.. I will miss that hard shift into second gear at WOT that gave me that kickass chirp.. but I can deal w/ the faster ET better than the loss of the chirp!

I really love the TL-S .. despite all this b.s. In fact, i don't mind getting a new tranny every 15-20,000 miles so long as Acura doesn't give me any crap and so long as I don't get stranded... Do you guys think they would have paid for my Tow to the dealership?
I'd figured they'd would have paid for the tow. They also have the Acura Roadside Assistance too so I believe that would've been free. They should also stick you in a demo car to thrash while they're repairing yours.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by That Girl
Hi Vandy ~~

You must have missed one of my post's ,or you took my advice in that post and it worked ,for a LITTLE WHILE ANYWAY...

I told you the FIX for reading these tranny posts' and it's OBVIOUSLY better then the FIX they have for the tranny's ... JUST stop your finger from clicking the POSTS !

How HARD is that? Well I guess it worked for you ,for a little while though,kinda like the FIX for the tranny s' ~ They work for a bit then they don't AGAIN ..frustrating isn't it~

been a pleasure as usuall~
Maybe second time is the charm since you're a little slow it seems. GET LOST. Nobody cares.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:05 PM
lover and fighter

Yeah, Peter. I would think they would have to have paid for the tow. Further, and this is the part I love since I completely agree with you in that a new tranny doesn't deter my like for the car or want to keep it for awhile, the whole idea of the 7/100 warranty ending there for us is silly. If I have had more than 2 trannies before 100k miles, trust me: Acura will be putting in new trannies well past 100k miles for free...They have no leg to stand on. Now, if you have over 100k miles on an original tranny, that is another story, but like I said, the 100k is not a bulletproof wall for their liability...
Old 11-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Racer

Unlike you Vandy ... I like reading the tranny threads,well maybe not like you ...SEE you lie and say you HATE the threads ,but you read every one of them ,perfectly clear for all to see .

I don't care though ,I'll leave here when I get ready ,not when you tell me to.

Apple ...... I don't care how great you are at english or reading comp skill's ,if I have none ,so be it , I despised English Comp ,yet Got an A in it anyway ,took all the info in and had to LET IT GO~~~!

I am VERY good at OTHER thing's ..we ALL have our OWN talent,which makes each of us different... I LIKE that ,makes for an interesting world ,no?

Bye now~
Old 11-26-2003, 04:29 PM
lover and fighter

I am VERY good at OTHER thing's ..we ALL have our OWN talent,which makes each of us different... I LIKE that ,makes for an interesting world ,no?
No. It's the "dumbing down" of Americans. It causes us to be the joke of the world as far as education is concerned. It causes me to pay taxes towards programs for making stupid people and stupid kids smarter to show the world and ourselves we won't become a society of degenerates. We have been catering to their poor feelings and telling them how much they are trying (when they really aren't) and how sweet that is, rather than telling them they are failing miserably and letting them fail if they choose inaction.

I don't care if your feelings get hurt if you are stupid. It's your own fault unless you are retarded--then you have a bi+ch. You are stupid and psycho, not retarded, so you are game for the hungry. When you rant and draw someone into your argument, you lose because you cannot effectively communicate your point and aid in your cause, which is why you are here in the first place. This leads back to irony. Especially if you of all people got an A in any college Lit or Comp course. My god, if you could just write something that made sense, stick to a logical argument and give up when getting crushed when you are off on a tangent, you'd be able to find more people to agree with you.

And as far as being good at other things, the only thing I can fathom is that you are good at being annoying.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Racer

Apple I realise you think all your boyfriends here will be impressed with "your" belief" of these post's showing SUCH high intelligence. If you NEED the support of your boyfriend's here ,I want hold that against you ,but I have to correct you ,I am far from stupid ,I made straight A's in college and it was EASY to do .

See you can't base intelligence on having to defend an accident I had due to my tranny locking up ,or based on my arguing skill's. Arguing skill's are not something I work at ... and don't get off just because I THINK 'I 've given a better comeback then you .

It's hard to believe I got an A in English Comp? Let me explain something to you .. I DO what I have to do ,to get where I want to be ,I don't have to write term paper's or composition's for a LIVING , I can write well ,if I WANT to,or if I need to ;like I said I do what ever I have to.

I have plenty of intelligence,thats why I asked you to stop responding to my threads and if you read my last reply ... then the better term would be stalking my threads'.

I am not interested in arguing with you ,so if you'll please stop stalking me and my threads the problem will be solved.

What EXACTLY is it, that YOU do NOT COMPREHEND about that?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Pusha Z

Apple I realise you ? [/B]
You didnt get an A in English Composition, you can't even spell "realize" ahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahaah
Old 11-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Dr. TLS

I got an A in English Comp
Good for you. Want a medal?

--------------

I read the tranny threads to see if someone has something new to say, such as the recent post where many of the thread participants agreed that using sport shift on the TL reduces the chances of a transmission failure. That's something new I learned from this forum. However, a secondary reason I read tranny posts is to check whether a certain idiot posts the same story again and again. If she does, I then proceed to bash her. Stop wasting bandwith because nobody here cared about your story starting the second time you posted it. The first time I read your post, I thought "poor girl." Now I don't give a $hit and neither do most of the other people here. By the way, now would be a superb time for you to just disappear.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

I dropped some new tires off at the dealership today to have them install (at a discounted install rate of course!) .. and I made a passing sarcastic remark .. i told the service manager who was helping me bring in my new tires from my car into the dealership that I really love my TL-S, and i figure I have another three or four transmissions to go through so i better get these new tires on and get ready for the long haul ...

he smiled uncomfortably and really didn't reassure me that I wouldn't have to worry about that or anything .. he just sorta look down and changed the topic of convo.

<sigh>
Old 11-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I dropped some new tires off at the dealership today to have them install (at a discounted install rate of course!) .. and I made a passing sarcastic remark .. i told the service manager who was helping me bring in my new tires from my car into the dealership that I really love my TL-S, and i figure I have another three or four transmissions to go through so i better get these new tires on and get ready for the long haul ...

he smiled uncomfortably and really didn't reassure me that I wouldn't have to worry about that or anything .. he just sorta look down and changed the topic of convo.

<sigh>
So typical of service managers to change the topic. Lol. Atleast we have the 100k warranty, which I never thought we were going to get. I wonder if the 2004s have been fixed.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Racer

Vandy I am as impressed with you as I am in Apple.. And that say's it all ..

Don't like it ,don't read it,I am a not interested in who you THINK you are ,your just another bunch of letters typed on a screen ,only difference is I have a story to tell and you DO NOT... Pretty simple~!

You need to SAVE teh BANDWITH ...!

Bye!~
Old 11-28-2003, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Vandy ..

I've been shooting the sh*t w/ this guy on acura-cl.com .. and he claims he's a tech at some acura dealership .. i tend to wanna believe him. he's been dishing out the dirt on the tranny issue, and it's as follows: 1) the tranny issue is NOT fixed .. in ANY of the replacements. 2) they'll continue to swap out tranny's until a fix is determined at a later date, 3) the new TL's tranny hasn't had more than 2 known failures in the nation since it's debut for official sale.

I'm in the process of drafting a letter to Honda/Acura .. i know it's futile, but i'm very curious to see what xerox of a xerox of a pre-formatted condolence letter they send me .. In in a sick/twisted way I sort of want to take that letter, staple it to ALL my service invoice records and mail it back to them w/ the original sales receipt from my car next to Honda's quality statement.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Dr. TLS

Vandy I am as impressed with you as I am in Apple.. And that say's it all ..

Don't like it ,don't read it,I am a not interested in who you THINK you are ,your just another bunch of letters typed on a screen ,only difference is I have a story to tell and you DO NOT... Pretty simple~!

You need to SAVE teh BANDWITH ...!

Bye!~

Please continue to tell us the same story over and over again. We are just dying to hear it. Do you have a life? I mean how do you find so much time to type the same thing again and again. If I were you, I'd definitely be bored after the 7th time.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Racer

Vandy ,

Peter addressed a comment to you ,as usuall you are compelled to speak out to me. I am not speaking out to you ,so do Peter a favor ,respond to his comment and leave me alone,I'm rather bored with your fascination in me.

I know you'd like me to post the story again,so you could read it more one time,but really..I will do that only if necessary .
Old 11-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Dr. TLS

Nice try on your attemp to make me look like I care about your posts. I'm sorry, but I spend only a minute portion of my 1440 minutes in a day on this forum, unlike you.

Peter, thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be holding off on the 2004 TL despite it being a beast (0-60 5.7s and 1/4 in 14.4 ). Who knows? They might have tweaked something to make the tranny bulletproof like Honda is known for.

That Girl,
You already posted your story atleast once on another thread today. I was quite pleased to read it. Surprisingly, I must say it was quite well written compared to the other ones. I find it funny that you're even here if you hate your car so much. Just sell it and stop wasting your life worrying about it and pretending you're here trying to tell everyone the truth. And post about something else for a change if you want to be a part of this forum so badly.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Racer

Vandy ,

I don't mix business with pleasure,it's all business here,I get my pleasure elsewhere.

I'm pleased you enjoyed yet another of my post's.

I must also state that I never said I hated my car, in fact I alway's said I loved it,but hated the transmission. I am in fact getting a 2004 tl ,it is already delivered to the dealership and I have test driven it,it has a sold sign on it and the only reason I am taking it ; is because it has a whole different transmission and engine. The" TRANSMISSION", again, was the only thing I disliked about the car and again you know WHY.

There is no prentense as to why I'm here,I beleive it is quite obvious as you and APLLE have stated... The transmission. I know it may be hard for you to imagine someone would take the time as I have to moniter this situation so closely ,but when I am on a mission I give it everything I have.

I want to make sure there are very few people unaware of the danger in a tranny locking up on the highway. Ofcourse I can't be here forever ,I'll have to leave one day ,but for now, until i'm totally satisfied ;I'll hang around .

Vandy Just try and ignore me ,okay ,honestly I don't mind and it will not hurt my feeling's in the least.

Again I'm pleased you have enjoyed my latest.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Dr. TLS

Vandy ,

I don't mix business with pleasure,it's all business here,I get my pleasure elsewhere.

I'm pleased you enjoyed yet another of my post's.

I must also state that I never said I hated my car, in fact I alway's said I loved it,but hated the transmission. I am in fact getting a 2004 tl ,it is already delivered to the dealership and I have test driven it,it has a sold sign on it and the only reason I am taking it ; is because it has a whole different transmission and engine. The" TRANSMISSION", again, was the only thing I disliked about the car and again you know WHY.

There is no prentense as to why I'm here,I beleive it is quite obvious as you and APLLE have stated... The transmission. I know it may be hard for you to imagine someone would take the time as I have to moniter this situation so closely ,but when I am on a mission I give it everything I have.

I want to make sure there are very few people unaware of the danger in a tranny locking up on the highway. Ofcourse I can't be here forever ,I'll have to leave one day ,but for now, until i'm totally satisfied ;I'll hang around .

Vandy Just try and ignore me ,okay ,honestly I don't mind and it will not hurt my feeling's in the least.

Again I'm pleased you have enjoyed my latest.
Okay, all jokes aside, are you sure that the 2004 transmission is different or redesigned? I too am thinking about a 2004. BUt let me make a correction on your post: the 2004 engine is basically the same as the 2002-2003. I believe it is still the highly revered J32A2 disguised with the addition of a cold air intake system.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Racer

I have posted this elsewhere,but I'll say it again . I was told by the dealership manager that the 2004 tl is the SAME Engine ,tranny from the Acura NSX .

As you can imagine as anal as I am about this ,I hounded them about this ,due to my accident.

I told them I would not have any part of the 03 as these tranny's were obviously not working and I would not endanger myself a third time ,so they SWEAR that this 2004 tl is the same as the NSX . This is the same one they were using through 99-2002 ,for sure maybe 03 as well ,they have changed the NSX ,it now has a 290 HP engine ...take note the NSX of last year is in fact a 270 HP .

Do I have this in writing ,no ,but there are reason's Vandy which I will not go into here as to why I am convinced what they tell me is fact.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Dr. TLS

So you're saying the new 2004 TLs are DOHC engines? That would be reason alone for me to get one. Time for some investigating...
Old 11-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Racer

I am saying that the Acura dealership's " manager "and another un-disclosed source .. Horses mouth' if you will ,have told me this.

They state the 04 tl is the SAME ..."SAME" engine and tranny that was in the "Acura NSX"

See they like to trade part's instead of manufacturing new ones, makes sense that with the tranny issue's they'd go this time with something tried and true.. without shelling out $$$$ to redisign ,I assume this was their only choice in lue of the tranny issue.

If this proves "true" and I am betting on it, as I will have it probablly Mon or Tues' this week ,it better be "TRUE".
Old 11-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Racer

Hmmm .I just lookedon acura.com website and it says that the 04 tl is a VTEC engine ? Now I am getting confused ......... I am off to investigate myself~
Old 11-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Racer

Engines
Get a Free Quote
on a Consumer Guide®
Extended Warranty
ohc V6
Size, liters/cu. in 3.2/196
Horsepower @ rpm 270 @ 6200
Torque (lb-ft) @ rpm 238 @ 5000
Availability Standard
EPA city / highway mpg
6-speed manual 20/30
5-speed automatic 20/28
Engine Key: l/cu. in. = liters/cubic inches; ohv = overhead valve; ohc = overhead camshaft; dohc = dual overhead camshaft; I = inline cylinders; H = horizontally opposed cylinders; V = cylinders in a V configuration; W = cylinders in a W configuration; rpm = revolutions per minute; CVT = continuously variable (automatic) transmission; NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:31 AM
Dr. TLS

Okay, found this on ACURA.COM. The TL engine is actually "Aluminum Alloy 3.2-liter, 24-Valve, SOHC VTEC™V-6." I am pretty sure that the older NSX engine was 3.2 liter also but it was DOHC. That would mean they are two different engines.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:52 AM
lover and fighter

I'm in the process of drafting a letter to Honda/Acura .. i know it's futile, but i'm very curious to see what xerox of a xerox of a pre-formatted condolence letter they send me .. In in a sick/twisted way I sort of want to take that letter, staple it to ALL my service invoice records and mail it back to them w/ the original sales receipt from my car next to Honda's quality statement.
That's pretty funny! I like that idea a lot!!! Maybe we should just come up with a cookie-cutter letter we can all use since HOA is gonna send theirs anyway...

I am not interested in arguing with you ,so if you'll please stop stalking me and my threads the problem will be solved.
It's just like a psycho to turn the tables...Pretty funny and expected in all honesty. After being gone since WEDNESDAY and enjoying turkey, football and booze, I read this thread and happy to mosy along without pounding you further. But then I see a post from Sunday:

There is no prentense as to why I'm here,I beleive it is quite obvious as you and APLLE have stated...
and 'you keep pulling me back in!' Jeez...

They state the 04 tl is the SAME ..."SAME" engine and tranny that was in the "Acura NSX"
OMFG! I have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much available land to sell you in Kansas with a nice bridge to the Arctic rainforest located next to it's scenic waterfall. Interested? How in god's name could you ever trust a saleman/sales manager to tell the truth at all (notwithstanding even knowing anything about the product they are selling)? I mean gimme a break. They'll tell you anything to sell a freakin' car and 50% of them can't even find the trunk/gas lid lever!

Without lecturing you too much more, that psycho, I doubt your originallity in writing any Comp paper at any credible institution of higher education. When I was in college, each grammatical/spelling error was counted as a letter grade off. You'd fail after the first sentence. Everyone makes typing or spelling errors here or there--especially in a rapid fire forum, but deciphering your posts is like looking at some of the west-coast aZnSpEaK (that is at least purposeful and that I find almost to be dialectic). Finally, speaking of "argument" (arguing), I think if you step outside of a literal reading of the word, you might just realize how stupid you sounded in your replies. You missed the whole point...Read it again...

When you rant and draw someone into your argument, you lose because you cannot effectively communicate your point and aid in your cause, which is why you are here in the first place. This leads back to irony. Especially if you of all people got an A in any college Lit or Comp course. My god, if you could just write something that made sense, stick to a logical argument and give up when getting crushed when you are off on a tangent,
...and comprehend you...

Quick Reply: Transmission #2 Gone.