tranny slipping but wont blow

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny slipping but wont blow

Guys, when is the F@#@$%G tranny gonna blow, it's slipping now at least once a day and the dumb A@# dealer said they cannot replace it till they duplicate. I called Acura and the dealer allready and I'll keep calling but how long does it take to blow. The slipping sucks, the tech that I spoke to said yeah these tranny's are not the best but the can hold up. He said that usually when the test it ( 3 mi run ) nothing happens but they all know that the customer is not lying, after all who wants their tranny replaced. For you guys that's been thru this tell me how long is it gonna take to just stop working. This is really killing be and I can't believe I gots to drive the car like this. Help me out guys. Oh yeah anybody went to the Acura Dealer in Bridgewater NJ. What dealer is good to take the car to so they will fix it ASAP.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:29 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Mine went about 2 weeks after it started slipping.

Try taking it to Park Ave Acura...

:-jon
Old 05-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Fluid is the key..

Get the dealership to look at the fluid, they should be able to do something at this point (or they risk having a customer stuck on the side of the road, and a possible lawsuit I would assume).

If the fluis is burnt, with metallic residue in it they should replace it.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I just had my tranny fluid changed at 25,000 miles, just to be safe. It was done @ the dealer. So far my 2002 TL has been great. Had warranty work on my rearview mirror, (was stiff and squeeked when moved), And the RR door rattled when it was being closed. Both were fixed nicely.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, I'd give it a couple of weeks. I don't know if it will do anything but try this: At highway speed, slow down very quickly until you're going about 5-10 mph. Then floor it. When my tranny went last time, that's how I finally did it. It had been slipping for a couple of weeks when one day I was getting of the interstate, did the above scenerio and presto, my tranny was gone. It wasn't anything that I did to intentionally get the tranny to finally go. I was getting off the highway, coming to a stop at traffic light that changed to green before I stopped so I hit the gas and it SLAMMED into gear. When I stopped at the next light and then started moving again, I heard this horrible grinding noise. Soon after, all the warning lights came on. I went directly to the dealership.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So Redlined...

When you heard the grinding noise and you said you went straight to the dealer.. the tranny was still functional enough to drive to the dealership? Mine is SLAMMING into 1st gear when I drop the throttle to the floor and accelerate hard -- I definitely have that symptom.

Hey, do you know if this problem is also occurring on the 2002 TL-P's ??? Or is it just the type S.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Peter,

I think it's mainly TLSs but I think some TL-Ps have also gone.

Yes, my car was still drivable. The tranny failure is a strange thing. It didn't make that grinding noise anymore after that but it started slipping a lot more. It had been slipping a little between 2nd and 3rd but got much worse after I heard the grinding noise. The first time my tranny went, I was in NYC (I live in VA). I had noticed that tranny had been shifting kind of funny for a while but I really didn't think much of it because the car was still fairly new. When I was in NYC, all the warning lights suddenly came on and soon after it really started slipping. Just driving along, I would push on the gas or anything and the tranny would just start shifting and looking for a gear and then SLAM into gear. It did this probably 10 times during a 20 mile drive on the highway. This was a Sunday so there really wasn't much I could do. I took it to Park Ave first thing Mon. They checked it out and thought it would need a new shift sensor but it would be a couple of days before they could get it. They said it should be ok to drive back to VA so I left. I guess during the service, they reset all the warning codes to turn off all the warning lights. For the entire trip home (450 miles), I didn't experience any problems. I took it to my dealership in Roanoke, VA on Tuesday and they said they could find nothing wrong, I guess because all the codes had been reset. For the next week, the car seemed fine. I was hoping that perhaps it all had something to do with a water leak (coming in behind the driver's side dash) I had fixed on this same trip to the dealership. I thought maybe something got wet during a rainstorm I drove though on the way to NY. When I asked the service advisor if that was possible, he said "Oh no, that couldn't happen. All the wiring is engineered to be waterproof." I thought "Well I'm sure water isn't supposed to come in behind the dash either but it did so what does that say about the wiring". Anyway, one day I started having problems again and it seemed the more I drove it, the worse it got. After the car would sit for a while and cool off, it seemed to drive better. But still, none of the warning lights came on. The next day, on my way to work, the lights came on and the car really started acting up. It was doing that shifting, searching, slamming thing like crazy. If I punched it, it would rev up like it was going to shift but then drop right back into 4th or 5th. I took it to the dealership immediately. After each traffic light for which I'd have to stop, it became increasingly difficult to get moving again. When I pulled up in front of the dealer service window, I put it in Park and then decided to park the car somewhere else. When I put it back in gear, it just sat there and revved like it was in neutral. I took them several days to figure out what to replace as Acura said (so they told me) they had never seen anything like it. The replaced the shift sensor and some other things before deciding the whole tranny needed to go. It took a day to get the tranny and another day to put it in. When I had the 2nd tranny replaced, it was only a few hours before they decided to replace the tranny (I guess because Acura had seen many more failures since my first), another 30 days to get the tranny into the dealership and another day to install it.

Sorry for the long note but maybe this will help.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:06 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you know that ur tranny is slipping? what does it feel like?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
Redlined ..

Thanks for you post... it does help a lot.

TLFan.... read Redlined's post, it should answer your q's.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
The first time mine went, it held onto gears too long then jerked as it shifted into the next gear. The second time, I'd get a quick rev upward just before it would shift. Much like a poor shift with a manual transmission when you give it a little too much gas while you're letting the clutch out.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Not quite yet....

My '02 TL-S is slipping, dealer can't repeat symptoms !
I'll be doing like 60 in 5th, just cruising, then I'll step on it hard to pass someone. The tranny jerks hard, then hesitates (seems like an eternity) then finally jerks into 3rd to accelerate. SUCKS!!
When will this tranny bust ?!?
Old 05-17-2002, 08:49 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
:wow: :wow:

Oh-oh! Watch for the light display on your dash.
It should be coming up soon.....

Fortunatly, the car can be drive (right to the dealer) when you get it.

UGH!

:-jon