tl type s tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tl type s tranny

So I know are transmissions arent the greatest I had my replaced by acura last october 2009

I am noticing now that it shifts hard from out of park into reverse I had my motor replaced last year so it could be that

Does transmission mounts affect shifting my trans isnt slipping or anything but it shouldnt be shifting hard either from park into reverse
You can also hear it shift hard in the cold? or if you dont let the car warm up for 10 15 minutes

any recommendations are appreciated
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
shouldnt have to wait more than a minute for warm up time
then drive- the first few minutes the ecu holds the shift points higher to help speed warming of the system

how is the fluid- smell burnt?

broken motor mounts may be involved- have you checked them?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I do also have HARD shift in cold when left over night. Like a Jerk into the next gear, this only lasts maybe 5min max then everything becomes butter smooth. Mine was also replaced Oct.09 I think that they updated trannies due shift harder than previous ones.

I'm not worried at all its a Honda thing. Also if your driveway is a Slight incline or decline it will cause a noise when shifting out of park. Motor mounts can also be very possible.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Team Owner

should not jerk into gear just because its cold, a little harder than when warm yes, but slam thud clank--not good
Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
2002 Black/Black TL-S

Crap. So you are saying even with a new tranny, there are still issues?? I shoulda passed on this model. Oh well, at least Acura gives a 3 year 36k mile warranty on new tranny's. I'm gonna drive this thing like speed racer!!

I had a broken motor mount too BTW.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I get the slight jerk when shifting out of park on my inclined driveway. I let the car rest on the e-brake before putting it into park, but I believe it's simply the transmission unlocking itself for the first time (if it's been sitting for a while). If I've used the car a couple times during the day it won't make that jerk every time, only after a night/day of sitting.

I think it's normal, I'm not worried about it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Instructor

i had my motor mounts replaced after my tranny so thats updated it doesnt clunk I just thought that it should shift smooth
its only when i put it in reverse all the other gears are fine??

would that be a bad rear motor mount??
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Team Owner

you can test the rear mount with a prybar and look for leak from it,vac booster line off

drop by the dealer and ask the SM to jump in the car and tell you if its normal, `some jump into R` is different in different minds

Your waiting about a minute then taking off? thats the good way, it will shift a little harder into 2-3 the first few minutes- ECU programming to speed engine warming (dont know how rough shift helps, ecu does hold shift rpm slightly higher during warmup time than normal rpm

If parked with nose other than level: when parking, push park brake all the way tight- then shift into Park- that relieves pressure on the J hook to a gear which holds the trans locked,, that is Park, lots of pressure on internal parts on slope

Using the park brakes, which are a mini set of drum brakes inside the rear rotors center hub (see how wide it is- brake shoes inside)
Adjustment of your park brakes may be needed, its easy to reverse down a driveway on a hill and if the brake not fully engaged- the car will go backwards, putting wear on the brake shoes which otherwise just sit there pressed against the drum when parked
They adjust with a star wheel- use screwdriver- old school style

Ck you fluid level per book- drive 15 minutes on freeway, get off freeway and safely stop (like a parking lot) and put in park- shut engine OFF (this is different than most cars)
remove the dipstick on the right side as you look at engine, should have reddish fluid.
wipe clean with rag and insert fully- remove and read- BETWEEN the lines is fine.
it goes up when it gets hotter so you want the middle range at test reading
Old 04-09-2010, 10:54 AM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralow
Crap. So you are saying even with a new tranny, there are still issues?? I shoulda passed on this model. Oh well, at least Acura gives a 3 year 36k mile warranty on new tranny's. I'm gonna drive this thing like speed racer!!

I had a broken motor mount too BTW.
Yes they are not perfect, i wouldn't not drive my new tranny like a speed racer, your going to greatly reduce it life span, greatly. If you bought this car to race, sell it, or do a 6 speed swap.

my new tranny, which was replaced in September of 09, shifts a little hard when its cold, but is smooth after it is warmed up. still feels like a slush box, i would never drive it hard.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:33 PM
2002 Black/Black TL-S

Originally Posted by gold2003tl (90)
Yes they are not perfect, i wouldn't not drive my new tranny like a speed racer, your going to greatly reduce it life span, greatly. If you bought this car to race, sell it, or do a 6 speed swap.

my new tranny, which was replaced in September of 09, shifts a little hard when its cold, but is smooth after it is warmed up. still feels like a slush box, i would never drive it hard.
Yeah well, the reason I say I'm gonna drive the hell out of it is because I now have a 3 year, 36k mile warranty from acura on this new tranny. I won't have the car for longer than that so I don't care if the life span is short. I just wish I would have never bought this car...what's the point of having a Type S car if you have to drive it like Mrs. Daisy?? All that glitters is not gold I guess...I loved it at first, then was betrayed! LOL.