Think twice before street racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 12:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Think twice before street racing

Read the thread below and lets use our heads on the streets guys....

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/showth...5&pagenumber=1

(warning: graphic pics)
Old 07-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

that's really sad....I know I'll think twice before racing...although I'm more scared of getting caught by the police rather than dying...but either outcome isn't desireable.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
/etc/car

Last week, we had the worst accident in Dauphin County history happen on Linglestown Road. For those of you not familiar with the area, it's about 5 minutes away from Hershey Park...this is the road that leads you to the front gate.

5 people were killed..and I think another just died yesterday.

Crosses out on the road...so many people go to visit the crash site that they have orange cones and a make shift parking lot.

Apparently these people were doing 100+mph on that back road...they were drunk...and t-boned another car. Young kids, too....I think the oldest may have been 23. I know a young kid died...think she was like 8.

The people driving drunk and doing 100 mph...fine...let them die. It's their own stupid fault...but I drive on that road every single day...that could have been MY ass that got killed by them.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:33 PM
STi
Racer

street racing is wrong, period.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Racer

Street racing is cool but in the movies. I have 3 friends dead already from street racing and one in jail for racing on the highway and killing 2 people.it's fun till someone dies. I noticed only people in dope cars race, all 3 kids owned GS 400's and the kid who killed the 2 people a s600 1998. That puts us in the category
Old 07-17-2002, 06:36 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Angry

I don't think I will ever race anywhere but a track from now on... I mean the guy killed his cousin... If i killed my cousin driving my TL like an idiot, I would have to kill myself...

Thanks for sharing that post with us. I don't know about you all but it was a wake up call for me... Made me realize all the stupid close calls I have had street racing...

.........................................I'm gonna cry now....
Old 07-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Angry

He was dumb, just had to find out the hard way. I bet he will do it again later in his life cause people like that never learns. Harsh comments, but true.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

What a tragedy! I'm glad I don't race. And you shouldn't either!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:06 PM
STi
Racer

cars are cool things, and thye can be appreciated in many ways, but not street racing, this is what tracks are for, you pay some money, but it's cheap insurance

my friend recently crashed his TLP, and just many friends have been in accidents due to pure ignorance, this is fine if they want to screw up themselves, but think about all those unlucky people who get screwed over because of their stupidity....

and i know just because someone crashed once and think they've learned a lesson, eventually they'll do it again, it's just human nature... sad
Old 07-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing that always amazes me is why so many rich parents buy their kids cars that are way overpowered for a novice driver. You read about it all the time --- 'some 17 year old kid dies 2 weeks before his senior prom when he wrecks his 2002 Vette' etc. and it goes on and on...

in the post above Diesel_Blue_TL says he has 3 friends that died and another in jail, all from wreckless driving. But look at the F*CKING cars they were driving. SC400 and an S600 (V12) Mercedes. No question that you can be a sh*tty driver in any car, but why put a very dangerous (ie. overly powerful) weapon to your kids disposal?

Sure these kids are responsible for the either juvenille or just plain lack of judgment they made. But the parents who buy cars like that for their kids have some of this burden as well.

IMO
Old 07-17-2002, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL

But the parents who buy cars like that for their kids have some of this burden as well.

IMO
you think losing a child isnt a bad enought burden? cus if you dont thats just cold.....my parents bought me a new Benz when i got my license but i know why they got me the v6 instead of a v8 none the less i understand and well just on their defense...perhaps they spend money buying a strong car to protect their kids rather than spending less on a tin can....
Old 07-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am not talking about putting anyone into a tin can. But buying a muscle car as a teenager's first car is a recipe for disaster. The fact that your parents opted to get you the V6 over the V8 speaks for itself. Thats the responsible choice I was talking about.

I have one daughter who is 6 right now. If i bought her a powerful car someday and she was seriously injured or worse in it, i would not be able to bear the thought that i had contributed to it by giving her something that was more than she was ready to handle. I mean if you go back to the original article above, the S.O.B. negligent homicide prick admits in his post that he was racing a Mustang GT at the time he killed his relative, yet he's got the nerve to blame the other kid for bumping his car! Now thats exactly the kind of kid that should NOT be driving a modded up Bimmer!

When my daughter is old enough to drive i will help her get something nice if i can afford to, but rest assured it wont be a 300+ HP rocket. If you give a kid that kind of power, he/she is gonna use it, and lets not forget the ever present peer pressure of adolecence when 2 or more high school friends are also in the same car. And honestly why does ANY teenager need an S600 to drive around town with friends to McDonalds and park it at the local HS? Would you be suggesting that the new C240 isnt just as safe?

Driving is a skill that takes years to master. Its easy to step on the gas and go, but thats not what takes time to learn. I mean you can be an idiot with a 3rd grade education level and get a license to drive a car, which is why road tests for a license are such a joke (but thats another story). I was taught to drive in such a manner that i should anticipate that any other driver around will do something stupid and to plan in advance for the unexpected. And after some 20 years later, that was the best piece of advice i could have been given.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

I am not talking about putting anyone into a tin can. But buying a muscle car as a teenager's first car is a recipe for disaster. The fact that your parents opted to get you the V6 over the V8 speaks for itself. Thats the responsible choice I was talking about.

I have one daughter who is 6 right now. When she is old enough to drive i will help her get something nice if i can afford to, but rest assured it wont be a 300+ HP rocket. If you give a kid that kind of power, he/she is gonna use it, and honestly why does ANY teenager need an S600 to drive around town with friends to McDonalds and park it at the local HS? Would you be suggesting that the new C240 isnt just as safe?

Even if a parent buy their kid a cheap Civic, they will still end up racing it and crash. It's partially that cars these days are faster and the frames are not as strong as older vehicles, that's why they use airbags and crumble zones to reduce the impact. I guess it's really how disapline a child can be when it comes to driving a car.

BTW, DMV actually encouage teens to ride motorcycles than driving. I don't know where the logic is on that since motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Believe it or not, motorcycle riding schools gives discounts to teens than adults. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Old 07-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

i never heard of the part about motorcycles but they are the worst of the worst drivers of teen youth. Zipping in and out of lanes, cutting in between lanes of cars on the freeway and taking the bikes up over 100MPH with passengers hanging on the back, and the all time favorite Idiot's move, a wheelie at probably 40-60mph with a passenger on the bike. I have to admit there is a part of me that says 'you deserved it' when i hear about a young kid getting killed on a bike. I wonder what the heck the parents were thinking when the kid first bought the bike. Unless they dont drive themselves, they Have to have seen all the irresponsible behavior kids demonstrate on these bikes. Do they really know their kid enough to think he wont do the same when he is out racing with his friends or trying to impress his first real girlfriend? I have yet to see anyone under the age of 20 riding a bike responsibly. And just the other weekend some group of teens on bikes came barrelling down the dotted line between lanes of cars stuck in traffic. One of those cars was me sitting in the traffic and one bike came within 1/2" of taking off my side mirror. Do the parents of these kids shrug it off as if that is supposed to be just their child 'out having some fun with friends'??
Old 07-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

No matter what is said about pushing across the idea that street racing is bad, unfortunately there will always be a few who think that it (getting into a bad situation) could never happen to them because they consider themselves "expert" drivers.

Not to sound crude or insensitive, but sometimes I wonder whether Darwinism will take its course on these people...
Old 07-18-2002, 09:48 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It is very sad how things change in a matter of moments. I am guilt of street racing every once and a while. I rarely do it nowadays as compared to when i had my SVT Contour. I spun out of control, hit a million things and woke up upside down. I was by myself because i never race when anyone is in the car with me. I would kill myself knowing that i killed someone i know and love. To be honest with you i will think twice now before racing again. To me after loosing 2 friends to high speed crashes and seeing all these things on the news, it's juts not worth it. I am only 21, but you 16 year olds have to understand that you may know how to power slide your way through Laguna Seca in Gran Turismo 3, but you dont know a damn thing yet about driving. I am not putting the younger guys down. just take it from me , i rolled my car and could have been killed at 17 due to inexperience. Be careful and just cruise, your future wife and kids will thank you for that, because you will be there to get married and start a family, not buried in a cemetary.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

I have one daughter who is 6 right now. If i bought her a powerful car someday and she was seriously injured or worse in it, i would not be able to bear the thought that i had contributed to it by giving her something that was more than she was ready to handle. I mean if you go back to the original article above, the S.O.B. negligent homicide prick admits in his post that he was racing a Mustang GT at the time he killed his relative, yet he's got the nerve to blame the other kid for bumping his car! Now thats exactly the kind of kid that should NOT be driving a modded up Bimmer!

When my daughter is old enough to drive i will help her get something nice if i can afford to, but rest assured it wont be a 300+ HP rocket. If you give a kid that kind of power, he/she is gonna use it, and lets not forget the ever present peer pressure of adolecence when 2 or more high school friends are also in the same car. And honestly why does ANY teenager need an S600 to drive around town with friends to McDonalds and park it at the local HS? Would you be suggesting that the new C240 isnt just as safe?

Driving is a skill that takes years to master. Its easy to step on the gas and go, but thats not what takes time to learn. I mean you can be an idiot with a 3rd grade education level and get a license to drive a car, which is why road tests for a license are such a joke (but thats another story). I was taught to drive in such a manner that i should anticipate that any other driver around will do something stupid and to plan in advance for the unexpected. And after some 20 years later, that was the best piece of advice i could have been given.

I totally agree. I am 21 and after 5 yrs of driving, I still dont know enough. I also think that teens will push their car to the limit regardless of what they have. Dudes especially, we been waitin 16 yrs and now its our time to take out our excitement on the road. To all the new drivers out there...driving fast and swerving in and out of lanes DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL!!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Drifting

2002AcuraTL
i totally agree on your posts!
Old 07-18-2002, 06:34 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Speed Kills

Isn't this the site, were people try to get out of speeding tickets, and state "I was only doing 80mph, I had everything in control, then that damn cop gave me a ticket"

They try with all their resoruces to get out of the ticket...hmm
Posting locations of "where the cops are" so you can speed before and after the speed traps.

Imagine how many car accident deaths cops and fireman see during their career?

Just my thoughts...

Mike Smeezy

"If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem"
Old 07-18-2002, 07:44 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel soo sad for the driver of that BMW. I know it may be a horrible thing to say, but I'm almost thankful that it was in another forum where I could be distant. If someone were to post that around here...espcially if I met them in a local meet...I'd be FURIOUS!

BTW...I consider speeding and racing two totally different things, so let's keep it on topic.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

VFFR1, speed in itself doesn't kill. Thats proven by how safe the autobahn is in germany. Modern vehicles, properly equipt and maintained, are safely capable of sustained high speed driving.

What kills is that getting a driver's license in the US is so easy that anyone can get one. Which means that most people are not really ready to drive in the real world when they get a license.

Around my area in busy Westchester, NY, the road test consisted of driving down a quiet unpopulated street, going to a stop light, making a right turn, going halfway down the deserted road, stopping in the middle, parallel parking, pulling back out, making a 3 point u-turn and returning to the begining (ie, one left turn back at the stop light again). Now how the hell is any of that going to show whether you really can drive down a busy road or on a highway. Sure its good if you live in amish country (i got nothing against the amish btw) but thats about it.

There are plenty of long straight as an arrow 4 lane highways in the US where when there is light traffic speeds in excess of 80 MPH are plenty appropriate in dry conditions. Its when stupid decisions are made by people in congested areas, or people not paying attention to the road (fumbling for radio, doing make up, etc) that accidents happen.

And as the post above says, "speeding" and "racing" are not the same. Racing on regular roads is a hazzard to everyone else on them because the racers are only focusing on beating the other guy, and not taking into consideration the risks to other drivers, or to themselves when they take turns too fast, or switch lanes without looking first. Thats what sucks --- and what kills.