Sun Sensor and Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Sun Sensor and Lights

I know my car has that sun sensor thing in the middle of the dash. I'm not sure if all TL's have them, or just the navi ones. I'm wondering if it's a light sensor that I can wire up to my headlights to give me an autolamp feature.

I don't even know what this damn sensor actually does, so maybe it's not even possible. What does it do anyways?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its strictly for the HVAC and the auto feature
Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

That's what I was afraid of. Well I was just sitting around thinking of things that I'd like to do and I thought of that.

My Helms manual and Electrical Troubleshooting book are in the mail, so I will be able to figure out my own stuff, but I thought I'd ask.

So what does the thing do? Does it sense the sun and add colder air to the mix? God I wish my plane had that up front with all those windows up there. It gets hot up there sittin in that sun!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Comet2404
That's what I was afraid of. Well I was just sitting around thinking of things that I'd like to do and I thought of that.

My Helms manual and Electrical Troubleshooting book are in the mail, so I will be able to figure out my own stuff, but I thought I'd ask.

So what does the thing do? Does it sense the sun and add colder air to the mix? God I wish my plane had that up front with all those windows up there. It gets hot up there sittin in that sun!
Pretty much.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So basically you'll be able to rig your lights to come on when it gets hot. Probably don't spend too much time thinking about this one.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
it would probably be easier to get a photosensor mounted somewhere on the dash and tap that into your positive side leading to the headlight relay. Probably need a photosensor that has threshold settings that will keep it from flickering if the sensor is on the fence about what to do..either on or off after so many minutes in the lights on or lights off condition. not an electronics expert in this area

Or, just skip the idea altogether
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CJITTY
it would probably be easier to get a photosensor mounted somewhere on the dash and tap that into your positive side leading to the headlight relay. Probably need a photosensor that has threshold settings that will keep it from flickering if the sensor is on the fence about what to do..either on or off after so many minutes in the lights on or lights off condition. not an electronics expert in this area

Or, just skip the idea altogether
Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

lol I just have a lot of time on my hands sometimes so I think about random things. I wouldn't spend the time or money on it, because it's not that important to me. I don't even like the auto lights really.... it was just a thought.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I dont like auto headlights with HIDs. I was driving on the highway and I saw a BMW that had this feature, it was a rather cloudy day out and whenever he went under a bridge, his lights would turn on. Once they were past the bridge the lights will turn off. this kept on happening everytime they passed a bridge, i saw it all in my rearview. I dont like this becuase flicking HIDs on and off like that seriously reduces the bulbs life.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Originally Posted by VoLLy
I dont like auto headlights with HIDs. I was driving on the highway and I saw a BMW that had this feature, it was a rather cloudy day out and whenever he went under a bridge, his lights would turn on. Once they were past the bridge the lights will turn off. this kept on happening everytime they passed a bridge, i saw it all in my rearview. I dont like this becuase flicking HIDs on and off like that seriously reduces the bulbs life.
My thoughts exactly. Plus the map on the navi would also dim too, if it was set to Auto.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 AM
o.O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldnt mind doing it.. gives you that "luxury" feel.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Hey so I got my Helms manual in the mail last night. You guys didn't tell me that it's not one manual but THREE!

This thing is amazing. I can't believe I have spent the last 7 years without one. Definitely a good investment!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Volly, I agree. I do think many of the european cars like Benz and BMW have those headlights come on immediately as a safety feature to provide as much visability to the car as possible. Sometimes those heavy fogs or downpours darken up the skies quick and many people in these situations never use headlights..(one of my biggest pet peeves). I do notice that they have a threshold so when they come on after going under a bridge, they seem to stay on for about a good minute then shut off if it is bright again. Here in Atlanta, the 75/85 connector has a bunch of wide bridges we go under and i see this alot. Some cars like GM without HIDs go on/off instantly when the condition changes. I think it is a good feature, but I think all the cars that have this should have some sort of threshold to make sure the rapid on/off's don't fuss with HID equipped cars.

The biggest culprit of no headlights on at night and in the rain are some model Hondas with the LED dash displays..some of these folks assume their lights are on because their dash is lit up..dummassses

sorry for the rant lol
Old 04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Always Working In

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Well from an electrician, it would be costly to do that feature on the HID's plus like CJITTY was saying you don't want them going on and off shortening your lamp life. But I'm glad to hear about the Helms manual. I was on the fence about which one to order. Might look into the Helms!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont like this becuase flicking HIDs on and off like that seriously reduces the bulbs life.
its not like it happens all that often. Also they dont wear out that fast from it. Mine lasted what 7 years 225k or something like that i flashed to pass all the time left mine on pretty much all the time (meaning every time i unlocked the car they would turn on then turn off
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Originally Posted by my.daily'tl'
Well from an electrician, it would be costly to do that feature on the HID's plus like CJITTY was saying you don't want them going on and off shortening your lamp life. But I'm glad to hear about the Helms manual. I was on the fence about which one to order. Might look into the Helms!
Oh do buy it. Splurge. It will save me so much money in the future. It basically walks you through how to diagnose things in detail, and then tells you step by step, bolt by bolt how to fix it. It's amazing. I slapped myself for not doing it sooner.