sub and amp in trunk installation help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sub and amp in trunk installation help

when i bought my car, the previous owner had a system in the trunk but he took it out before he sold me it. he took out the factory sub when he installed his system and didnt have it when he sold me the car so now i have no sub. i recently purchased a 12" alpine type-r sub and a mtx thunder amp. i searched and read a lot about LOCs and things like that but everything was about if there is a factory bose sub in. what is the simplest way to install my new sub and amp into my trunk? i dont have any wires at all because i bought them off of a friend who upgraded his system and he didnt have the wires, so could you tell me everything i need to buy and what i have to do to install it.

here are some pictures of what my trunk looks like right now where the sub used to be:

these are some wires just hanging there. im guessing they are what plugged into the bose sub.

this is the empty space for the sub.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Advanced

sounds like you need a line out converter, power cable from the battery, fuse, ground cable, possibly rca cables to go from the loc to the amp. i have to honest though and say that i tried that before and wasnt happy at all. I got noise and the filters didnt work not to mention that the aftermarket sub had the tendancy of killing the mids and highs. (bose sound system couldnt blend well with the aftermarket sub)

Since that i have put in all infinity kappa series components and 2 jl 12w6's and now its like a concert (be that rap or rock) when i drive.

hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Instructor

thanks i already installed aftermarket speakers though so im all set with that part. just trying to get some more bass
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, i did have that problem at all. if you take a close look, the previous owner already cut through the amp wiring, which kinda sucks, but its okay. the two white cables are the positives, and the two grey cables are the negatives. what you have to do when you buy the LOC is look at the diagram to see which wire you hook up to the negatives and positives. it wont matter which one because they're going to the same system anyways and the negatives dont make a diff because they're just ground cables. hook that up to those cables, and from there, hook up an rca cable to thw line outs and directly into the amp, and you got yourself a working line out for bass. The noise problem varies among wiring. Maybe you had a crappy LOC infinity or maybe your wiring is just bad, because i never had that problem, and I'm running off my stock bose 6cd changer. I have MB Quart QSD components running through the front and the rear and i've never had the noise/whine problem.

good luck with your install and lemme know if you got ?'s

Originally Posted by infinity2006
sounds like you need a line out converter, power cable from the battery, fuse, ground cable, possibly rca cables to go from the loc to the amp. i have to honest though and say that i tried that before and wasnt happy at all. I got noise and the filters didnt work not to mention that the aftermarket sub had the tendancy of killing the mids and highs. (bose sound system couldnt blend well with the aftermarket sub)

Since that i have put in all infinity kappa series components and 2 jl 12w6's and now its like a concert (be that rap or rock) when i drive.

hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do you still have original wires going to stock amp? Remove the trunk lining cover on the right side and look behind the rear seat to see if you still have stock amp or not. What you will need to do is just following step #2 in the link below to add aftermarket sub and amp:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/need-help-advice-anything-adding-sub-185395/

you do not need LOC, just one rca cable.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

well since your saying that you need a loc, im guessing that you still have the stock deck in. if you do, you can tap into the factory wiring for mono signal to your aftermarket amp. it sounds decent as well.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like going LOC better, its an easy way without ripping out shit from your car. And i just reread this post right now. Lopez, if you have an aftermarket head unit, then most likely the stock amp is not connected, so you're going to have to run an rca cable through the back of your aftermarket deck. If you have your stock deck still, then go with the method I PMED you. Like Lacviet said, pull out the backside to see if your stock amp is even connected still, because if its not, you have to go with his method.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Instructor

i have the factory hu but the car had an aftermarket hu before i bought it and the guy put the factory hu back in before he sold it