Speaker Grill Rattle Fix and Subtle Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013 | 07:09 PM
Intermediate

Speaker Grill Rattle Fix and Subtle Exhaust

Hey Acurazine, I have a couple questions about my 2nd gen TL-S.

1. When I am being obnoxious and I turn my stereo up, the speaker grill for my factory rear center speaker starts rattling like crazy. It can be fixed by pressing it down really hard while it's playing, but I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a permanent fix. I have heard that foam tape is a possible solution, and I would also be willing to get a new grill or just remove my current one.

2. I am interested in an exhaust system that looks better and has an actual exhaust note unlike the silent stock one. I think I'm more looking at an axle back system because I don't really have the money or need to go for a performance cat back system. I don't really have a price range but cheeper is nice, but I really want something that has a good note and can be a little louder at high revs but not to much louder than stock at low revs. I am open to cat back recommendations. I also live in NC and it needs to be something that passes emission standards (Not sure of what those are).

If there are other threads on either issues, please link me! I know there is a lot on exhausts but I want something that fits me as best as possible.

Let me know, thanks!
Old 12-19-2013 | 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Welcome The PattyWagon !!!

Take the grille off the rear speaker and look it over for ways to eliminate the rattling. Make sure that the actual speaker is in good shape.

For the exhaust, simply unbolt the rear mufflers at the "Y" pipe and see if ya like the sound. The Cat along with the OEM resonator and mid muffler take care of most of the loud raspy noise. The mufflers at the back quiet things down for the luxury silence, so just run straight pipes instead of the rear mufflers. Very cheap mod !!!
Old 01-16-2014 | 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Bump

Thanks for the suggestion!

I am looking into strait piping, but I want exhaust tips. Im interested in a bolt on solution, either bolt on strait pipes or slightly better mufflers. Is there anything like this bolt on available for retail? Mufflers with a cleaner sound preferred. Looks are important.

As for the speakers, I took off the grill and Tried insulating and a couple other solutions for the rattle, nothing permanently working. I am just going to add a better sound system.

Please suggest an exhaust solution. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014 | 07:30 AM
Instructor

Everybody likes the Tsudo's. I'll try and look up a link for the one's I've been watching on ebay. They're around $200 and have a little more subtle sound than the G37 exhaust but not silent like ours. They're stainless steel so they look way better. They're axle-backs. I've had that grill off alot. I would check where the tail lights seat, because if they're not twisted in there the right way they'll buzz. Happened to me once. If it's not that I'd make sure the speaker was tightened down right and that nothings hanging down or anything. Let me try and find that link for the exhaust.
Old 01-17-2014 | 07:40 AM
Instructor

There's a video with just the Tsudo axlebacks. You can also do a mid-muffler delete for like $20 bucks if you want a little more throaty sound.

http://www.speed-element.com/servlet...muffler/Detail

That's a link for them. Cheapest I could find. Might be possible to find them cheaper elsewhere but I didn't see any.
Old 01-17-2014 | 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Check out the "Performance Parts and Mods" subforum for better response and ideas on what works best.
Mineme has a sound clip now on his Tsudo set-up. Seems like a good low cost option for a nice look and sound !!!
Old 01-20-2014 | 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the suggestions.

I am really looking into the Tsudo Axlebacks. Cheapest I can find is $300 shipped in stock here: http://www.erzperformance.com/Produc...-6363&CartID=1

I am still unsure if I want to shell out $300 for Axlebacks. Does anyone have personal experience with these? I want to know how loud they are with the mid muffler, and if I am able to simply bolt them on myself (I know I need a shop for the mid muffler delete).

Please link me to a thread if this has already been discussed. I searched around a little but couldn't find a great resource.
Old 01-20-2014 | 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

The Tsudo axlebacks are an easy DIY, simply unbolt old mufflers and bolt on Tsudos.
They come complete with built in mounting flanges and hangers out of the box and bolt right on to the OEM mid pipe at the "Y" flanges.
Try them without doing the mid-muffler delete to see if ya like the sound.

If ya wanna go cheap, either go with the rear muffler delete and run pipes....or do the mid-muffler delete and leave the mufflers on.
Easy enough to try !!!

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 01-20-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2014 | 07:28 PM
Intermediate

Now looking at simply doing a mid muffler delete. I like the low cost. I have found a couple of threads talking about it, but I was wondering if anyone would have some insight into noise heard in the cabin?

If I can find the Tsudos for $200 I think Ill pick them up.
Old 01-21-2014 | 11:52 PM
Advanced

I dont see anyone talk about Magnaflow. Watched couple videos and like the sound.
Old 01-22-2014 | 04:26 PM
Instructor

The Tsudo's were around $200 a few months ago. They go on sale sometimes. Maybe do your mid-muffler delete and pick up the Tsudo's if you really want an aggressive sound.
The following users liked this post:
ThePattyWagon (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014 | 07:07 PM
Intermediate

So Im finally pulling this together. Ive decided to go mid muffler delete and put on some tips I have laying around, but Im wondering if I should have a Dynomax resonator installed in place of the mid muffler while the exhaust shop is replacing it. Thoughts?